• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting... As someone who`s not really super familiar with Tales, I`m wondering if something like this could hinder a potential Tales Smash release. I`m not sure though considering Tales does seem to have a thriving enough English fanbase, from my understanding at least.
Keep in mind the anniversary streams mostly talk about mobile titles and concerts and the like. That isn't usually where big game announcements happen, though there always is the hope that they will do so.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Nobody has made mention of this on the thread currently, but Sakurai's latest Famitsu column was on Cyberpunk 2077.

Per Silliconera:

Pretty interesting to see Sakurai's thoughts on Cyberpunk with the mass amount of negative backlash the game and CDPR have gotten for the state of its launch. Compared to A LOT of things I've seen around Cyberpunk post-launch, this is probably the most humble thing I've seen said about it.
Sakurai probably knows how hard Cyberounk development must have been. Cdr had to make the game for pc, ps4, xbox one, xbox series S and X and ps5. That's a lot of consoles with a huge gap between their powers, so it must have been hard to them. This makes me think about Smash 3ds and wii u, and how it must have been a big challenge for Sakurai and his team to give the same experience on both console, despite the 3ds being obviously extremely different from the wii u. So I think this is why Sakurai is very humble for the dev works. He understand how hard it is.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I'm just saying it would be weird to tie a global video to a regional event that the global audience can't also enjoy. I suppose it could happen, but it would feel a little alienating to anyone who would stick around to check it out.

"Hey, check this presentation out. It will be just before this stream."
People check stream out.
They can't understand it.
They leave.

If the stream is subtitled, I'd feel a lot better about the idea.
Unless I'm mistaken (EDIT: whoops, I was, forgot about the announcement video before the Sakurai Presents), Sakurai's Steve presentation never actually mentioned Minecon. Minecon's promotional material certainly mentioned Steve in Smash, but not the other way around. So Nintendo & Bandai Namco could potentially schedule a Tales rep around the livestream and have the event mention Smash without directing global viewers to the stream itself.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Unless I'm mistaken, Sakurai's Steve presentation never actually mentioned Minecon. Minecon's promotional material certainly mentioned Steve in Smash, but not the other way around. So Nintendo & Bandai Namco could potentially schedule a Tales rep around the livestream and have the event mention Smash without directing global viewers to the stream itself.
The video where Sakurai mentioned the wizardry behind putting Steve in Smash had a mention on how the Sakurai Presents was before Minecon.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
The video where Sakurai mentioned the wizardry behind putting Steve in Smash had a mention on how the Sakurai Presents was before Minecon.
Ah true, I was thinking of the Sakurai Presents itself, but I forgot about the separate reveal video

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Unless I'm mistaken, Sakurai's Steve presentation never actually mentioned Minecon. Minecon's promotional material certainly mentioned Steve in Smash, but not the other way around. So Nintendo & Bandai Namco could potentially schedule a Tales rep around the livestream and have the event mention Smash without directing global viewers to the stream itself.
945287A8-6F5B-40F8-9E94-F9AECC3C477B.jpeg

Unfortunately, you were mistaken.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That would be Oichi from Sengoku Basara, Capcom's own take on the Warriors-style games. Apparently she is one of the most popular characters from that game.

Fun fact: She is voiced by Laura Bailey and last i checked, in Teppen she doesnt voice Chun-Li which i find so confusing and i dont know if its even an union thing.
Ashly Burch has had the role since MvC:I which still had Laura Bailey in it as Black Widow

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Keep in mind the anniversary streams mostly talk about mobile titles and concerts and the like. That isn't usually where big game announcements happen, though there always is the hope that they will do so.
Allegedly the March stream is where the "big" reveals are going to take place, though how big is up to interpretation. I'm not that familiar with Tales, so I wouldn't know how big or regular the streams usually are
Yeah. It's an orchestra thing in Japan.
Thankfully, Motoi Sakuraba doesn't seem to be anywhere as stingy as Sugiyama. If there's any other Tales composers, I'd hope they're in the same boat.
View attachment 299194
Unfortunately, you were mistaken.
The blank, emotionless expressions give this image such a powerful energy

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Allegedly the March stream is where the "big" reveals are going to take place, though how big is up to interpretation. I'm not that familiar with Tales, so I wouldn't know how big or regular the streams usually are

Thankfully, Motoi Sakuraba doesn't seem to be anywhere as stingy as Sugiyama. If there's any other Tales composers, I'd hope they're in the same boat.

The blank, emotionless expressions give this image such a powerful energy
A bit random but now that you mention him, Sakuraba did the remix of FFVII's Main Theme that came alongside Sephiroth.

I think it was very cool to see the Tales/Dark Souls/Golden Sun composer working with Final Fantasy music.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Symphonia music would be funny since there is a track called Final Destination and because of one of the new updates, you can now play Final Destination on Final Destination.
Even funnier is that there would actually no longer be a track called Final Destination. Only Final Destination (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate), and Final Destination (Tales of Symphonia). And of course, the other Smash games but you get the idea.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you guys think we'll get a Character that can summon assists in their moveset in this game?
there are a couple characters I can think of where that would be basically required.

Impa for example just wouldn't feel right without the magic clone jitsu stuff.

Will we get that kinda character? Probably not. not only would that be a nightmare to code(how would you even control them?), but a character that can spawn multiple allies to help on-command would be able to control the entire stage by simply existing, which as you can probably guess would break the fundamental logic of Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
A bit random but now that you mention him, Sakuraba did the remix of FFVII's Main Theme that came alongside Sephiroth.

I think it was very cool to see the Tales/Dark Souls/Golden Sun composer working with Final Fantasy music.
Yeah, one of my favorite things about the new remixes is how composers get to work with other franchises' music, and seeing what comes of it. There are combinations like...
  • Jun Senoue (from Crush 40) arranging a Mega Man 4 medley
  • ACE (who wrote some of my favorite songs from Xenoblade 1 & 2) remixing Halland/Dalarna for Steve and Beneath the Mask for Joker
  • Yuzo Koshiro (one of the composers for Ys I & II, among a lot of other things) remixing the Psycho Soldier theme, with Kanako Kotera (who sang the majority of the vocal tracks for Trails at least through Cold Steel II) providing vocals
  • Keiichi Okabe (the lead composer for the NieR series) arranging Aerith's theme
  • Masafumi Takada (composer for Danganronpa & No More Heroes) putting a trap beat in the Banjo-Kazooie main theme
I love seeing how each composer puts their own personal touch on the remixes, and I hope that regardless of who gets in next, there are some more interesting combinations like those.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
there are a couple characters I can think of where that would be basically required.

Impa for example just wouldn't feel right without the magic clone jitsu stuff.

Will we get that kinda character? Probably not. not only would that be a nightmare to code(how would you even control them?), but a character that can spawn multiple allies to help on-command would be able to control the entire stage by simply existing, which as you can probably guess would break the fundamental logic of Smash.
Depends on the Impa; If it's not Hyrule Warrior: Age of Calamity's Impa then it probably wouldn't make sense.

Also, I believe summoner characters generally don't control their summons at all and they just do predetermined stuff, which is what makes them distinct from puppet fighters. They'd honestly be very simmilar to lingering projectiles or traps that you can't reflect, and I think balancing that would be pretty doable in the platform fighter setting.

Impa (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity) probably wouldn't even count as one since the clones just serve to power up her attacks.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, I believe summoner characters generally don't control their summons at all and they just do predetermined stuff, which is what makes them distinct from puppet fighters. They'd honestly be very simmilar to lingering projectiles or traps that you can't reflect, and I think balancing that would be pretty doable in the platform fighter setting.
So in other words...

:ultbowserjr: (mechakoopas)
:ultduckhunt: (wild gunmen)
:ultzelda: (phantom)

:V

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, one of my favorite things about the new remixes is how composers get to work with other franchises' music, and seeing what comes of it. There are combinations like...
  • Jun Senoue (from Crush 40) arranging a Mega Man 4 medley
  • ACE (who wrote some of my favorite songs from Xenoblade 1 & 2) remixing Halland/Dalarna for Steve and Beneath the Mask for Joker
  • Yuzo Koshiro (one of the composers for Ys I & II, among a lot of other things) remixing the Psycho Soldier theme, with Kanako Kotera (who sang the majority of the vocal tracks for Trails at least through Cold Steel II) providing vocals
  • Keiichi Okabe (the lead composer for the NieR series) arranging Aerith's theme
  • Masafumi Takada (composer for Danganronpa & No More Heroes) putting a trap beat in the Banjo-Kazooie main theme
I love seeing how each composer puts their own personal touch on the remixes, and I hope that regardless of who gets in next, there are some more interesting combinations like those.
Didn't ACE also do Gangplank Galleon?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So in other words...

:ultbowserjr: (mechakoopas)
:ultduckhunt: (wild gunmen)
:ultzelda: (phantom)

:V
Mechakoopa yes, the others, maybe not quite. Wild Gunman and Phantom are more delayed projectiles than anything.

For examples of summoners from the FGC, we've got:
  • Jill (Marvel Vs. Capcom 2)
  • JACK-O (Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2)
  • Gargos (Killer Instinct)

Ornl

Smash Ace
Do you guys think we'll get a Character that can summon assists in their moveset in this game?
special2.png

Space Invader
- Invasive aliens: The fighter would be more or less powerful and resistant depending on his ability to minions spawning, and the enemies may be faced with their flood and harassment.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
People have to stop treating Imrah Khan's word as gospel. I feel he has a tendency to speculate on things and for people to interpret it as a firm statement one way or another.

Like when he discussed Sora and people assumed because he was saying Sora is totally disconfirmed blah blah, when that seemed way more like "I feel like Sora is a character Nintendo would step on hot coals for but Disney would be too difficult to work with, etc". He was probably right in the end but as many people have always been quick to point out, it's rare that we get that kind of insight toward the process of deciding characters and negotiations.

Similarly the Monster Hunter and Byleth stuff from a few weeks back... still feels fishy, but there are certain parts of that where he admitted he doesn't know for certain (ie his own personal speculation as to whether we're getting another Capcom character). I don't think he knows the full remaining lineup.

This asks him if he believes the Tales boys are coming to Smash and he said no. For the record, this person also asked if both of these characters were coming to Smash. I feel like most people would also agree the answer is no.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
People have to stop treating Imrah Khan's word as gospel. I feel he has a tendency to speculate on things and for people to interpret it as a firm statement one way or another.
While that's true, it should also be pointed out that the "Chun-Leak" isn't even a leak at all.

It's only speculation based on alleged insider info which is assumed to be scrapped.

That means it could still be true even if we don't get Chun-Li or a Tales character, since it never said these characters will be DLC. It's purely speculative.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Like when he discussed Sora and people assumed because he was saying Sora is totally disconfirmed blah blah, when that seemed way more like "I feel like Sora is a character Nintendo would step on hot coals for but Disney would be too difficult to work with, etc". He was probably right in the end but as many people have always been quick to point out, it's rare that we get that kind of insight toward the process of deciding characters and negotiations.

Similarly the Monster Hunter and Byleth stuff from a few weeks back... still feels fishy, but there are certain parts of that where he admitted he doesn't know for certain (ie his own personal speculation as to whether we're getting another Capcom character). I don't think he knows the full remaining lineup.

This asks him if he believes the Tales boys are coming to Smash and he said no. For the record, this person also asked if both of these characters were coming to Smash. I feel like most people would also agree the answer is no.
Dude literally told us a couple weeks ago that the whole spark that started the wahoominati was the art style in Mario Strikers. Whether we like what he says or not the dude knows some stuff. I won’t say his word is gospel but let’s just say his guesses are VERY educated. Dude is in in on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom