• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Based on familiarity, Dante or Nero, though I must say X's redesign looks slick
I think I just figured out what bothers me about it. It's this weird fusion between his Mega Man X and Mega Man Z designs so it feels a lot like an entirely different character from the Mega Man X I'm used to looking at.

...Or I just don't like it when you make Mega Man designs too robotic. I think it is the first one though.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have been messing around with Teppen, Capcom's equivalent to Hearthstone and similar card games and the hero roster is pretty awesome. So here is an interesting idea/game:

View attachment 299171

Outside Ryu, which one of these guys would you want in Smash? I'm torn between Wesker, Morrigan or Dante.
I'm not particularly fussed about which Capcom character gets in but if I had to choose I'd go with Dante, Wesker and Chun Li.

toonito

Smash Ace
I have been messing around with Teppen, Capcom's equivalent to Hearthstone and similar card games and the hero roster is pretty awesome. So here is an interesting idea/game:

View attachment 299171

Outside Ryu, which one of these guys would you want in Smash? I'm torn between Wesker, Morrigan or Dante.
cant choose Capcom too strong

torn between Jill, Chun-Li, and Dante

ahemtoday

Smash Ace

View attachment 299171

Since this list is sorely lacking in Phoenix, I've gotta go with Ammy, easily.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
<
Daily reminder that none of the DLC Fighters for Pass 2 was ever cited as a “fan-demand” character by official sources, which seems to imply it doesn’t matter at all for this pass.
Why would that need to be officially stated? As far as I remember nothing like this was ever said about fighter pass one, or the ultimate base roster, or smash4 dlc.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Do you guys think we'll get a Character that can summon assists in their moveset in this game?

I've wanted Zero for a while, so definitely him. That said, I'd love both Nero and Palico. Palico would just fit Smash well and it would be fun to have a long range grappler in Nero.
I think I just figured out what bothers me about it. It's this weird fusion between his Mega Man X and Mega Man Z designs so it feels a lot like an entirely different character from the Mega Man X I'm used to looking at.

...Or I just don't like it when you make Mega Man designs too robotic. I think it is the first one though.
Do you mean his ZX design? in Z he's got robes. Weirdly my favorite design for the guy.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of the Smash Ballot, I wasn't really into Smash during the Smash4 period, even though I started with Brawl in 2008, so besides the really well-known characters like, K.Rool , Geno, Ridley etc. I'm not the most knowledgable about who the big fan favourites were during 2015, at least the ones who didn't make it into Smash already.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
On the subject of the Smash Ballot, I wasn't really into Smash during the Smash4 period, even though I started with Brawl in 2008, so besides the really well-known characters like, K.Rool , Geno, Ridley etc. I'm not the most knowledgable about who the big fan favourites were during 2015, at least the ones who didn't make it into Smash already.
Banjo & Kazooie, Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, Inklings and Isaac were all examples of commonly requested characters during 2015.

Last edited:
Was there an official announcement that fan favourite characters would be added before all those characters were announced?
I don't believe so, other than the ballot which was pretty vague in its own way. The idea of fan demand had been brought up in interviews when talking about certain characters, so it at least was something they were thinking about.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Was there an official announcement that fan favourite characters would be added before all those characters were announced?
It was stated on the Smash Ballot that it may be used for future titles and K. Rool, the Belmonts and Ridley were cited to be influenced from that.

Sakurai: We’ve included characters that were in high demand from the “Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot” we held in the past. This is the case for characters like Ridley, King K. Rool and Simon.
In addition, BK was also cited to be in due to fan demand.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Sakurai actually mentioned that the likes of Simon, Richter, Ridley and K.Rool were added due to the Smash Ballot.

This information comes from a Nintendo Dream magazine that was translated by PushDustIn PushDustIn

Plus, Ridley was stated to be added due to "international Fan Demand" in a Treehouse Stream back in E3's reveal of Smash Ultimate. So while Sakurai never has stated before hand that he will ad fan demanded characters, its not uncommon for him to mention fan demand as a factor for a character's inlcusion after their reveals, which is why wasn't ruling out the idea of a "Smash Bubble" pick in a similar manner to Banjo in FP1, which quite frankly is the only reason i see why Banjo got in (that and probably good PR for Microsoft)

the problem is with Geno out i really don't see any character that fits this definition, so unless hell freezes over and adds someone like Bandanna Dee (who is, or at least was, a common pick among Smash Conversation), i think the rest of the Pass is gonna be Third Parties that really aren't talked about that much in Smash context and are popular in the larger gaming sphere.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something that's worth noting is that technically, the Tales anniversary livestream already happened in December. The March stream is "part two," apparently. I'll have to look a bit deeper into that one, though
Checked in with Lloyd's thread, apparently the gist of it is that the Tales anniversary celebration is getting stretched out over two years instead of just one. The real announcements are in the March stream. Presumably, it was delayed because of COVID.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Checked in with Lloyd's thread, apparently the gist of it is that the Tales anniversary celebration is getting stretched out over two years instead of just one. The real announcements are in the March stream. Presumably, it was delayed because of COVID.
Yeah, a Smash reveal there would mean that the hypothetical Tales rep was swapped with Sephiroth during development.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Mentioning Cadence earlier made something occur to me: if she did make it as a fighter, how would they handle Cadence of Hyrule music?

Would it be listed with NecroDancer music?
Would it be listed with Zelda music?
Would it just be left out?

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Right, characters were revealed to be included due to fan demand after their initial inclusion. Sakurai didn’t tell people a fan demanded character would be included prior to their inclusion to spare us from the sheer shock of it. Also this is a future smash title...

Question about the Tales event: Aren't those usually entirely in Japanese with no subtitles until after the fact? If so, I have a hard time believing any Smash stuff would appear there, even just a moveset presentation.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Question about the Tales event: Aren't those usually entirely in Japanese with no subtitles until after the fact? If so, I have a hard time believing any Smash stuff would appear there, even just a moveset presentation.
People aren't saying that there's going to a smash reveal in the stream, it's more of a possibility of a Sakurai Presents happening around that event much like with Steve's presentation coinciding with Minecon.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People aren't saying that there's going to a smash reveal in the stream, it's more of a possibility of a Sakurai Presents happening around that event much like with Steve's presentation coinciding with Minecon.
It would still imply that the Tales character was swapped with Sephiroth during development, which is unlikely.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Mentioning Cadence earlier made something occur to me: if she did make it as a fighter, how would they handle Cadence of Hyrule music?

Would it be listed with NecroDancer music?
Would it be listed with Zelda music?
Would it just be left out?
I'd list it in the Crypt of the Necrodancer tracklist, but allow the Cadence of Hyrule songs to be played on The Legend of Zelda stages.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People aren't saying that there's going to a smash reveal in the stream, it's more of a possibility of a Sakurai Presents happening around that event much with Steve's presentation coinciding with Minecon.
Yeah, the only times we've had Smash reveals happen in non-Nintendo streams are Joker and Sephiroth, both at the Game Awards, which are pretty darn big. If Steve's anything to go by, in this scenario they'd announce a Tales rep in advance and then add "We'll be covering this fighter in more detail just before the Tales 25th anniversary stream!" at the end.

Though, he does raise a good question. Are the Tales streams subtitled to begin with or are they only translated afterwards?

D

Deleted member

Nobody has made mention of this on the thread currently, but Sakurai's latest Famitsu column was on Cyberpunk 2077.

Per Silliconera:
Here are some highlighted quotes from Masahiro Sakurai’s column:

• “Dealing with refunds is something that makes even me feel deeply moved. This kind of sincerity was never heard of before.”
  • “When I tried it on the PS4 Pro, I could play it without problem (as of December 20, 2020). It was mostly running at 30 frames per second.”
  • “I played it on PC in the beginning. I encountered bugs multiple times.”
  • Cyberpunk 2077 is a dream game. I wonder how much planning and production was needed.”
  • “Having a multi-platform release for an AAA title is at a level where that’s enough for me to say that it’s wonderful.”
  • “I support this game from the bottom of my heart for sincerely dealing with [the refunds].”
In the same column, Sakurai also mentioned Meteos, a puzzle game he designed for Nintendo DS in 2005. He remembered how things accelerated at the final phase of its adjustments, and it ended up becoming more difficult than he thought. In a previous column, he also wrote about his impressions of the PlayStation 5.

Pretty interesting to see Sakurai's thoughts on Cyberpunk with the mass amount of negative backlash the game and CDPR have gotten for the state of its launch. Compared to A LOT of things I've seen around Cyberpunk post-launch, this is probably the most humble thing I've seen said about it.

People aren't saying that there's going to a smash reveal in the stream, it's more of a possibility of a Sakurai Presents happening around that event much with Steve's presentation coinciding with Minecon.
I'm just saying it would be weird to tie a global video to a regional event that the global audience can't also enjoy. I suppose it could happen, but it would feel a little alienating to anyone who would stick around to check it out.

"Hey, check this presentation out. It will be just before this stream."
People check stream out.
They can't understand it.
They leave.

If the stream is subtitled, I'd feel a lot better about the idea.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because the livestream itself was delayed due to COVID.
Oh was it meant to be done before The Game Awards? Well at least that makes sense, though it wouldn't be impossible for Nintendo to decide to take advantage of the delay in this way (rather than delaying the character itself) so I still wouldn't say that it would be an impossibility.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Who's the Lady between Dante and Akuma?
That would be Oichi from Sengoku Basara, Capcom's own take on the Warriors-style games. Apparently she is one of the most popular characters from that game.

Fun fact: She is voiced by Laura Bailey and last i checked, in Teppen she doesnt voice Chun-Li which i find so confusing and i dont know if its even an union thing.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm just saying it would be weird to tie a global video to a regional event that the global audience can't also enjoy. I suppose it could happen, but it would feel a little alienating to anyone who would stick around to check it out.

"Hey, check this presentation out. It will be just before this stream."
People check stream out.
They can't understand it.
They leave.

If the stream is subtitled, I'd feel a lot better about the idea.
Yeah. It would be weird for Sakurai to do something like this, as it would alienate anyone who doesn't understand Japanese.

7NATOR

Smash Master
That would be Oichi from Sengoku Basara, Capcom's own take on the Warriors-style games. Apparently she is one of the most popular characters from that game.

Fun fact: She is voiced by Laura Bailey and last i checked, in Teppen she doesnt voice Chun-Li which i find so confusing and i dont know if its even an union thing.
That's the Series that has that Vergil Expy isn't it

It's also the series that was the Source of the Lawsuits between Capcom and Koei, which resulted in the two companies having bad blood with each other

Also perhaps maybe they are Re-using voice clips for Oichi, but not for Chun-Li, as whoever is voicing her perhaps need the practice because they gonna be the Chun-Li voice if Laura doesn't want to do it anymore

I've done a very small amount of my own research, and as far as I can tell the Tales of anniversary streams don't have any official non-Japanese subtitles, even after the fact. At least the last one didn't, though the "Tales of Youtube Channel" (that's the name of the new Japanese channel btw) does have an introduction video with English subtitles. All of the news that comes out of the streams seems to reach overseas fans by word of mouth. Some of the non-event videos have subtitles and some don't.

Bandai Namco Europe's channel has been putting out some videos to hype up the 25th anniversary, but Bandai Namco America hasn't. The whole thing seems really inconsistent.

Last edited:

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
I've done a very small amount of my own research, and as far as I can tell the Tales of anniversary streams don't have any official non-Japanese subtitles, even after the fact. At least the last one didn't, though the "Tales of Youtube Channel" (that's the name of the new Japanese channel btw) does have an introduction video with English subtitles. All of the news that comes out of the streams seems to reach overseas fans by word of mouth. Some of the non-event videos have subtitles and some don't.

Bandai Namco Europe's channel has been putting out some videos to hype up the 25th anniversary, but Bandai Namco America hasn't. The whole thing seems really inconsistent.
Interesting... As someone who`s not really super familiar with Tales, I`m wondering if something like this could hinder a potential Tales Smash release. I`m not sure though considering Tales does seem to have a thriving enough English fanbase, from my understanding at least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Interesting... As someone who`s not really super familiar with Tales, I`m wondering if something like this could hinder a potential Tales Smash release. I`m not sure though considering Tales does seem to have a thriving enough English fanbase, from my understanding at least.
It’s... fairly popular. At least Symphonia and Vesperia have near-mainstream levels of popularity. The others... they’re mostly confined to Twitter and social media sadly. The US has seen three Tales gacha games, two of which sadly have shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom