• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The more I think about it, the more certain I am that the Smash Ballot is probably still being used to determine which characters are popular among fans. Just looking at the newcomers and dlc characters in Ultimate shows that the Ballot is probably fairly influential (K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Simon, Inkling, Erdrick, Banjo and Kazooie). That being said, I think that means characters popular with Smash fans during Smash4 and 2015 have a much better chance of getting in than characters who gained more support recently.
While I agree, something that should be noted is that the majority of ballot-backed characters are from the base game. Banjo and Kazooie are the only DLC fighters who are primarily chosen from the ballot; Erdrick and Steve likely did well on the ballot, but they were probably added by virtue of Dragon Quest being massive in Japan and Minecraft being massive everywhere.

In other words, the DLC still uses the ballot, but not extensively. Based on FP1, I'm expecting only one or two characters who did super well on the ballot.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
While I agree, something that should be noted is that the majority of ballot-backed characters are from the base game. Banjo and Kazooie are the only DLC fighters who are primarily chosen from the ballot; Erdrick and Steve likely did well on the ballot, but they were probably added by virtue of Dragon Quest being massive in Japan and Minecraft being massive everywhere.

In other words, the DLC still uses the ballot, but not extensively. Based on FP1, I'm expecting only one or two characters who did super well on the ballot.
Completely agreed. I don`t think all dlc characters are chosen with the ballot in mind, just the ones meant to appeal to Smash fans. I'd be very surprised if we didn't get at least one more character who was popular on the Ballot.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm not sure if Steve did that well on the ballot either. Sure Minecraft was very popular, but most people votes for character who thought who had a chance, and I doubt many would have thought in 2015 that we could have a Microsoft character aside from Banjo (and that was mostly because of Phil Spencer tweet about him). Besides, Minecraft wasn't even on a Nintendo console at the time of the ballot.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Honestly I'm not sure if Steve did that well on the ballot either. Sure Minecraft was very popular, but most people votes for character who thought who had a chance, and I doubt many would have thought in 2015 that we could have a Microsoft character aside from Banjo (and that was mostly because of Phil Spencer tweet about him). Besides, Minecraft wasn't even on a Nintendo console at the time of the ballot.
I can imagine he did decently; a lot of people on Miiverse wanted him, and people were already making concepts for Minecraft on Wii U, not seeming to let Microsoft owning Mojang bother them if they even thought that was an issue.

Not to mention I could’ve sworn you could vote multiple times so tbh a character being “likely” when Nintendo is directly asking the fans shouldn’t have been a real problem to think about imo.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, those people probably thought he indeed had a chance, not to mention I remember a Nintendo spokesman saying that the ballot was for any video game character, no ifs and or buts

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Anyhow, mostly what I meant from my Smash Ballot post is that people might be overestimating characters like Dante or Master Chief who probably gained more support in a "Post-Cloud" world.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know to be honest, concerning the ballot, I wouldn't be surprised if Most of the characters in DLC were based of the ballot as well

-The Base roster is usually considered to be heavily based off the ballot, from the newcomers to all the veterans returning. Ken and Incinearoar were probably the only characters not really decided by the ballot

-However, Common consensus is that Banjo was definitely from the ballot, and it's arguable that Hero and Steve were from the ballot as well

However I think there could be an argument for Joker and Terry (and maybe Sephiroth) as well

-There may have been quite a bit of votes for Persona Characters and also for SNK characters. While I doubt any 1 character from the franchise/Company dominated (especially Joker since he didn't exist yet), it at least showed to Nintendo that there was some interest in a Character from those properties

Now while I doubt the ballot was the major reason for the choices, unlike Banjo, I do think it at least helped in the process.

I'm sure Nintendo/Sakurai doesn't just automatically go for the Highest voted characters, and then go down the list. They probably look at the entire list to see where interest lines up, and then they separately debate on potential Company/Franchise/Character merits in Smash. Higher voted characters might be able to rely more on the votes, especially 1st party picks, but they have to go through the process too

From there, they might talk to potential companies about specific characters and perhaps start negotiations, but negotiations have alot of parts to them, and if even just one part can't be agreed upon, that stops the chances of the character getting

For Sephiroth, there may have been people putting in both Cloud and Sephiroth, but I still say maybe since I think likely people were mostly just putting in Cloud.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You know to be honest, concerning the ballot, I wouldn't be surprised if Most of the characters in DLC were based of the ballot as well

-The Base roster is usually considered to be heavily based off the ballot, from the newcomers to all the veterans returning. Ken and Incinearoar were probably the only characters not really decided by the ballot

-However, Common consensus is that Banjo was definitely from the ballot, and it's arguable that Hero and Steve were from the ballot as well

However I think there could be an argument for Joker and Terry (and maybe Sephiroth) as well

-There may have been quite a bit of votes for Persona Characters and also for SNK characters. While I doubt any 1 character from the franchise/Company dominated (especially Joker since he didn't exist yet), it at least showed to Nintendo that there was some interest in a Character from those properties

Now while I doubt the ballot was the major reason for the choices, unlike Banjo, I do think it at least helped in the process.

I'm sure Nintendo/Sakurai doesn't just automatically go for the Highest voted characters, and then go down the list. They probably look at the entire list to see where interest lines up, and then they separately debate on potential Company/Franchise/Character merits in Smash. Higher voted characters might be able to rely more on the votes, especially 1st party picks, but they have to go through the process too

From there, they might talk to potential companies about specific characters and perhaps start negotiations, but negotiations have alot of parts to them, and if even just one part can't be agreed upon, that stops the chances of the character getting

For Sephiroth, there may have been people putting in both Cloud and Sephiroth, but I still say maybe since I think likely people were mostly just putting in Cloud.
I don't think that the Inklings, Isabelle, or Daisy were decided by the Ballot either.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Inklings seemed pretty popular. As did Daisy, Don’t think Isabelle had much support though.
Inklings were too new, and would have gotten in even without the ballot as Splatoon was a massive hit for Nintendo. I believe that Daisy was only chosen because she was an easy to develop Echo Fighter, especially considering that she has the least differences with her base character out of all of the Echo Fighters.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't think that the Inklings, Isabelle, or Daisy were decided by the Ballot either.
Daisy most definitely I would say was decided by the ballot, or just fan requests from back in the day. I don't think she was as popular as Waluigi, but she was still very popular request though

Inklings were also very Popular as well, though I think they would have gotten in without the ballot anyway

Isabelle was probably popular as well. Animal Crossing is a big franchise (even back in ballot days) and she is a popular character. She probably also did very well among the Female audience (cause remember that the Ballot asked for Gender as well)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Daisy most definitely I would say was decided by the ballot, or just fan requests from back in the day. I don't think she was as popular as Waluigi, but she was still very popular request though

Inklings were also very Popular as well, though I think they would have gotten in without the ballot anyway

Isabelle was probably popular as well. Animal Crossing is a big franchise (even back in ballot days) and she is a popular character. She probably also did very well among the Female audience (cause remember that the Ballot asked for Gender as well)
Isabelle would have gotten in without the ballot too considering the fact that she's basically the mascot of modern Animal Crossing. She probably didn't do well on the Ballot due to her status as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4, and most people considered Assist Trophy status to be a deconfirmation (and still do).

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Inklings were too new, and would have gotten in even without the ballot as Splatoon was a massive hit for Nintendo. I believe that Daisy was only chosen because she was an easy to develop Echo Fighter, especially considering that she has the least differences with her base character out of all of the Echo Fighters.
Too new for what? They got a mii costume in the middle of the ballot. I saw tons of support for them back in the day.
Daisy was also pretty popular, I think she was added because of her popularity and because of her ease of development. It doesn’t always have to be one or the other.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To new for what? They got a mii costume in the middle of the ballot. I saw tons of support for them back in the day.
Daisy was also pretty popular, I think she was added because of her popularity and because of her ease of development. It doesn’t always have to be one or the other.
If she was a ballot pick Daisy would have had more differences from Peach, like what Dark Samus and Chrom got. Dark Samus got herself a lot of aesthetic differences and Chrom even got two different moves from Roy, even if one of them was copied from Ike. Overall I think that the impact of the Ballot is overstated in terms of Ultimate's newcomers.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Steve and Sephiroth could've had ballot influence, and Steve needing five years of negotiations would tie in with the ballot. However, Min Min is too new to be a ballot choice and also too old to be one of the "inevitable" new game promotions, so she's an outlier.
She got added because ARMS was successful and they wanted an ARMS character because of that, with her being seen as the top choice. That’s all.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Isabelle would have gotten in without the ballot too considering the fact that she's basically the mascot of modern Animal Crossing. She probably didn't do well on the Ballot due to her status as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4, and most people considered Assist Trophy status to be a deconfirmation (and still do).
Assists probably got less votes than they should have, but they might have done well with Casuals that don't give a hoot about Assists

even among the Hardcore fanbases, I remember reading polls where Waluigi, Ashley, and Shadow did well, despite being assists. There was also Ridley who was a stage boss

Also for your point about Daisy only getting in because she was easy to create, that's true to an extent, but the Smash team wouldn't have bothered to create her if She wasn't popular

If you notice, all of the echoes are either Popular characters within their Series, or Popular characters within Smash. I'm sure if Dark samus was considered Requested, than Daisy definitely is since I remember seeing more votes for Daisy than Dark Samus

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I can confirm the underlined isn't true. I know this because I got quite tired of everyone saying they were locks at the time, to the point where I wasn't gonna touch Splatoon if they did become fighters in Smash 4. Which I'm retroactively glad didn't happen because Splatoon is pretty good.

I believe Daisy actually did have some leeway for getting into Smash; since Super Mario Run she's begun to get more and more marketed. Although I often have to remind myself she got included.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If she was a ballot pick Daisy would have had more differences from Peach, like what Dark Samus and Chrom got. Dark Samus got herself a lot of aesthetic differences and Chrom even got two different moves from Roy, even if one of them was copied from Ike. Overall I think that the impact of the Ballot is overstated in terms of Ultimate's newcomers.
I highly doubt Sakurai decided how unique he would make each echo based on their ballot results.
Chrom got the mix because Sakurai literally said he was passed over in 4 for possibly playing to similar to Marth and Ike (Turns out it was moreso Roy and Ike), Dark Samus got tons of new animations because Samus’s wouldn’t at all fit her personality. Contrast that with Daisy, who fits Peach like a glove.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I have been messing around with Teppen, Capcom's equivalent to Hearthstone and similar card games and the hero roster is pretty awesome. So here is an interesting idea/game:

Teppen.png

Outside Ryu, which one of these guys would you want in Smash? I'm torn between Wesker, Morrigan or Dante.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I have been messing around with Teppen, Capcom's equivalent to Hearthstone and similar card games and the hero roster is pretty awesome. So here is an interesting idea/game:

View attachment 299171

Outside Ryu, which one of these guys would you want in Smash? I'm torn between Wesker, Morrigan or Dante.
Akuma, I wanna hit Lucario with a raging demon so bad.

7NATOR

Smash Master

View attachment 299171

Who's the Lady between Dante and Akuma?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

View attachment 299171

Definitely Jill Valentine.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If she was a ballot pick Daisy would have had more differences from Peach, like what Dark Samus and Chrom got. Dark Samus got herself a lot of aesthetic differences and Chrom even got two different moves from Roy, even if one of them was copied from Ike.
I kinda doubt that. Chrom's moveset changes existed to copy Lucina while still making sure that this idea didn't make him stronger than Roy. Daisy is like Dark Samus and Richter in that they have no changes at all (aside from one or two very slight tweaks that affect nothing) in that regard, so there isn't anything out of the ordinary there.

As far as animation changes go, Daisy, Chrom, and Richter have very few compared to Dark Samus, and I suspect it's because their mannerisms are closer to their base characters than Dark Samus's are.

So honestly, I don't think her lacking the moveset changes of Chrom and the animation changes of Richter disconfirmes her as at least a fan pick since they seem to be outliers in the first place.

Outside Ryu, which one of these guys would you want in Smash?
I'll give you a hint: Her name starts with "A" and rhymes with Tatsu.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

View attachment 299171

Based on familiarity, Dante or Nero, though I must say X's redesign looks slick

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

View attachment 299171

Dante, but Amaterasu is a very close second. I would also like a lot Jill.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

View attachment 299171

Chun-Li, Zero, Amaterasu, and Jill

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord

View attachment 299171

I've never really played any of these guys' games (outside of a little of Mega Man Zero), but Amaterasu seems the most interesting on a conceptual level due to her powerset and the fact that I am inordinately fascinated with the prospect of getting more quadruped characters in Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

View attachment 299171

Dante, though Amaterasu is a close second.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I remember that the ballot ask for the character you wanted, but also your gender (you could vote male or female). I do wonder if Daisy and Isabelle was chosen because they had more votes from female. Isabelle would probably be in Ultimate even without the ballot, but I think Daisy is pretty popular among girl who play Mario kart or Mario sports game so maybe they choose her because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom