• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Pokemon typically ties their new Gens in with merchandise and/or anime seasons so if there's any compelling evidence of the next one coming soon, those might be the places to look.

I don't think we're getting that until 2022 at the earliest, especially when I suspect there is still much more money to be made via merch and promotional events in Gen 8 right now.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Y'know, me focusing on the Tales livestream got me wondering if there's any other streamed events coming up. Obviously, not all of them are a guarantee for a new character, but I'm kinda curious. Specifically, events in March is what I'm eying; We could see a Steve situation then where they're revealed in time for a big event, but CP10 would likely be covered at E3 and CP11 is too far off to tell; For all we know, they could be a double reveal with CP10.
You know I think I'm starting to give more credence to the idea that character placements in the fighters pass will be timed for an event if there's something relevant. I think Steve proves that by being timed for the Minecon live event gives credence, it's an event that happens yearly so it's safe to say they always planned to develop and reveal Steve around the time that would happen. Sephiroth was also revealed when FF7 was the most relevant, at an award show where it was up for several awards and won best RPG.

I think it would make sense if there is a Tales character coming up that they would be next as the Tales liveshow would keep it fresh on peoples' minds and could get people to check it out. I think Nintendo would be looking for other venues to tie the DLC fighters with since standard Directs and E3 have been shut by covid.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You know I think I'm starting to give more credence to the idea that character placements in the fighters pass will be timed for an event if there's something relevant. I think Steve proves that by being timed for the Minecon live event gives credence, it's an event that happens yearly so it's safe to say they always planned to develop and reveal Steve around the time that would happen. Sephiroth was also revealed when FF7 was the most relevant, at an award show where it was up for several awards and won best RPG.

I think it would make sense if there is a Tales character coming up that they would be next as the Tales liveshow would keep it fresh on peoples' minds and could get people to check it out. I think Nintendo would be looking for other venues to tie the DLC fighters with since standard Directs and E3 have been shut by covid.
A Smash character in the Tales liveshow is unlikely because it was delayed due to COVID.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Pokemon typically ties their new Gens in with merchandise and/or anime seasons so if there's any compelling evidence of the next one coming soon, those might be the places to look.
The Gen 8 anime only just put out it's 50th episode last week and the main cast are still a long way off from attaining their goals.
So really just evidence against Gen 9 for now.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Gen 8 anime only just put out it's 50th episode last week and the main cast are still a long way off from attaining their goals.
So really just evidence against Gen 9 for now.
Besides, the anime is no longer constrained to just the newest generation. It is possible that Journeys could continue into Gen 9 and beyond.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Besides, the anime is no longer constrained to just the newest generation. It is possible that Journeys could continue into Gen 9 and beyond.
Journeys could continue into Gen 9, but they aren't finished with everything in Galar. Have they even touched content from the expansions?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not in the Tales show, there's no precedent for that but before it just like Steve. If things were to hypothetically go 1:1, the Mr. Sakurai Presents video would be right before the show.
I still think that it's unlikely because of the delay. It would imply that COVID affected Smash development far more than what Sakurai let us in on, as well as it would mean that said Tales character was swapped with Sephiroth during development.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I still think that it's unlikely because of the delay. It would imply that COVID affected Smash development far more than what Sakurai let us in on, as well as it would mean that said Tales character was swapped with Sephiroth during development.
You're right. I think Sephiroth actually was probably the first DLC character that was released closest to when they would have in a non-Covid AU (god let me live in that world) and the Tales stream would have happened earlier. There was that Sephiroth Fighter 6/8 site glitch though so who knows, placements could have swapped. But going by Occam's Razor, it's just simple to assume that if Lloyd was a DLC fighter, he wouldn't have been timed for the stream specifically.

Besides at the rate the Namco Miis are being spread, there's a good chance we'll know next character if Tales is in or out. Same goes for Monster Hunter.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Who do yall think is the most slept on charcter in terms of likelihood?
I think an indie rep looks great for this pass. Whether Reimu, Quote, or even The Knight.
I feel like Nintendo might pull a fast one.
Pretty much anyone that isn’t Dante, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, Rex, Gen 8, or Monster Hunter is “slept on” in my eyes, and I’m actually ok with Dante and Crash. The rest kinda bore me in my opinion but that’s just me. :drshrug:

Reimu could be a particular example though, as well as a new Bandai Namco rep in general. I got countless other sleeper pick candidates as well

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Pretty much anyone that isn’t Dante, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, Rex, Gen 8, or Monster Hunter is “slept on” in my eyes, and I’m actually ok with Dante and Crash. The rest kinda bore me in my opinion but that’s just me. :drshrug:

Reimu could be a particular example though, as well as a new Bandai Namco rep in general. I got countless other sleeper pick candidates as well
Honestly I haven't heard Master Chief ever since Steve. Rex has been fairly silent too, Crash is just kinda there without anyone actively mentioning him, and it seems like Dante's been giving way to the Hunter. That, and oftentimes Gen 8 is shut down with the Spirit Event, as post-launch content is usually considered a death sentence.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think an indie rep looks great for this pass. Whether Reimu, Quote, or even The Knight.
My most wanteds are slept on.

The characters I'm not interested in, on the other hand, are overrated and discussed too much.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Its worth thinking about the budget on display here. Steve and Sephiroth probably cost quite the pretty penny. Perhaps Nintendo would have had to default to some smaller characters to stay in budget.
Like Ace Attorney instead of DMC....Yeah, thats what I’ll use to justify my biases.
To be honest I don't think the difference in money between licensing Phoenix Wright and Dante would be really that big (or any other character from them). Capcom is easy to work with and they pretty much license their characters for anything.

At "worst" the only way I could see Dante being more expensive is if Nintendo wants to include certain Devil May Cry songs such as the ones with lyrics, and those might have the rights split between Capcom and the respective musicians involved.

But even if that was true Nintendo could just ignore those songs if they were super expensive. It would be a shame because some of the most iconic songs in the series are the vocal ones, but it's not like Nintendo would cancel any plans for Dante just because they couldn't license 3-4 specific songs.

Did you guys discuss this article?

Nothing is confirmed but if it's true, it could be real interesting for future Smash DLC and games.
Assuming it's not a mistake, this could be a good sign for the people who wants a sequel, myself included. The game performed well according to Platinum Games as well.

Obviously this could boost the chances for getting Officer Howard in Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Speaking seriously, I'm beginning to feel like Shovel Knight's kinda overlooked. There's a reason he's called the King of Cameos, y'know.

Problem is, some just don't think ATs can be promoted, and the same goes with indies. I doubt people will be convinced either can get in until one of them actually get added, and by then the niche will probably be covered and be considered a one-and-done thing.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If I had to highlight a few curveball choices that are relatively underrated, I’d go with Adol, The Knight, and Sol Badguy. If we got a season 3, I’d add Neku to that shortlist. If I had to highlight one as the most slept on, probably The Knight by a hair. But those are a few curveballs I can see happening.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
To be honest I don't think the difference in money between licensing Phoenix Wright and Dante would be really that big (or any other character from them). Capcom is easy to work with and they pretty much license their characters for anything.

At "worst" the only way I could see Dante being more expensive is if Nintendo wants to include certain Devil May Cry songs such as the ones with lyrics, and those might have the rights split between Capcom and the respective musicians involved.

But even if that was true Nintendo could just ignore those songs if they were super expensive. It would be a shame because some of the most iconic songs in the series are the vocal ones, but it's not like Nintendo would cancel any plans for Dante just because they couldn't license 3-4 specific songs.
*Sobs
H-How Am I supposed to justify my biases now?
*Sniffles

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If I had to highlight a few curveball choices that are relatively underrated, I’d go with Adol, The Knight, and Sol Badguy. If we got a season 3, I’d add Neku to that shortlist. If I had to highlight one as the most slept on, probably The Knight by a hair. But those are a few curveballs I can see happening.
I like the way you think. :shades:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Speaking seriously, I'm beginning to feel like Shovel Knight's kinda overlooked. There's a reason he's called the King of Cameos, y'know.

Problem is, some just don't think ATs can be promoted, and the same goes with indies. I doubt people will be convinced either can get in until one of them actually get added, and by then the niche will probably be covered and be considered a one-and-done thing.
He already cameos in Smash as an assist trophy so that king of cameos title still applies to him.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
My most wanteds are slept on.

The characters I'm not interested in, on the other hand, are overrated and discussed too much.
Unironically true for me but also my most wanteds probably have a long shot anyways so it’s both true and false.

Schroedinger’s most wanted characters.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I am once again mentioning that Dragalia Lost has ZERO content in Smash despite being Nintendo's first original IP on mobile. You all are sleeping HARD on Euden.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think I answered this before with Sgt. Cortez so I'll stick with that.

Time to Split... into two, with double Cortez.

It's time to split fast.gif
It's time to split fast.gif

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Jibanyan from Yokai watch. The last game, Yokai watch 4, was released in 2019 and those games are still pretty popular in Japan. Maybe the lack of popularity outside of Japan will hurt him, but it's still shocking to me that Level 5 have no content at all in Smash.

Also probably not the most likely choice, but I'm always surprised that Cadence fron Crypt of the necrodancer is always never mentionned when talking about indie character. She's more relevant than Quote, and despite only having two games, she have more sales than the whole Shantae franchise. And she's the only indie character that had such a big crossover with a Nintendo ip.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's time for our regularly scheduled program: Gwen Talking About **** That'll Never Happen.

I had some Unfortunate events happen at work and in my personal life so I ended up booting up a visual novel.

capsule_616x353.jpg

It will NEVER ****ing happen but goddamn I'd love to see this getting a stage. I'm kinda surprised Smash doesn't have any stages involving a diner as those aesthetics usually work well for fights

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's time for our regularly scheduled program: Gwen Talking About **** That'll Never Happen.

I had some Unfortunate events happen at work and in my personal life so I ended up booting up a visual novel.

View attachment 299138

It will NEVER ****ing happen but goddamn I'd love to see this getting a stage. I'm kinda surprised Smash doesn't have any stages involving a diner as those aesthetics usually work well for fights
So you want a stage that's literally a bar fight?

Eh, I'll allow it.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

View attachment 299138

It won’t happen but I wish it would, the music in Va11 Ha11 A is amazing. My consolation prize I’m hoping for is a Jill Mii costume that comes with Every Day Is Night. God if yall haven’t played Va11Ha11a please do. The switch Eshop thumbnail is trash but it’s honestly so comfy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It won’t happen but I wish it would, the music in Va11 Ha11 A is amazing. My consolation prize I’m hoping for is a Jill Mii costume that comes with Every Day Is Night. God if yall haven’t played Va11Ha11a please do. The switch Eshop thumbnail is trash but it’s honestly so comfy.
I’d personally prefer Digital Drive but otherwise same. That game is ART

Now where’s my N1RV Ann-A

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’d personally prefer Digital Drive but otherwise same. That game is ART

Now where’s my N1RV Ann-A
It’s coming don’t worry, I played it at PAX two years back. Game is good in the new drinks system but I need to get to know the characters to give final judgments. Looks to be a worthy successor so far.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
As someone who works in tech I just need to point out that opposite is likely true. My team(wireless app support) transitioned to working from home before any of the country when it lockdown and the impact to work was near non-existent, so much so that there is talks about transitioning to work from home indefinitely.

FYI in the tech space working from home wasn't unusual even before covid hit. I don't think the delays in char development are nearly as bad as you think it is.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

View attachment 299138

I always imagine that if we got a Rhythm heaven stage, it would be the café. It appears in every game of the franchise it's like a hub. You could add various characters of the franchise in the background to make it a bit more fun.
maxresdefault (17).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom