• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
New mainline entry over a remake? Seems a bit odd that TPC wouldn't wanna milk their precious Galar anymore but I mean I'll take it. I wanna move on from 8.
Yeah. I now expect Gen 9 to be next, especially if the announcement will be on Pokemon Day. So far, only new gens have been revealed on Pokemon Day, with third versions and remakes not revealed until much later.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did you guys discuss this article?

Nothing is confirmed but if it's true, it could be real interesting for future Smash DLC and games.
If Astral Chain didn’t get a Spirit Event in 2019 I’d have hope for the Legionis for this or a hypothetical third pass

at the very least tho I’d say they’re a lock for Smash 6/Ultimate Deluxe

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
If 9 is announced, I can't wait for everyone to suddenly drop their Shillderace predictions and move onto whoever the next marketable starter is. Granted I think the timing would force a 9th gen Pokemon to have to be fighter 11. Corrin only happened because Fates released in Japan at the time so late November to anywhere in December would be a release date for that. All of that said, I'll be open to the idea of a 9th gen rep if the games prove themselves to look good. 7 was a drastic glow-up from 6 IMO but I've lost a lot of optimism. I'll take anyone over the soccer bunny at this point though.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm gonna be honest, I'm really, really hoping Gen 9 isn't next. Not because I want a Sinnoh remake (well, I do, but that's not the main reason), but because I don't think Game Freak learned from what went wrong with Sword/Shield.

While Sword/Shield's DLC does show that Game Freak understands the primary complaints about Gen 8 (removing Pokemon, being visually unspectacular, being overly linear and handholdy), Sword/Shield was the product of a dev team that's already too small to complete Triple-A game being split between multiple projects at a time. There's absolutely no way they developed a fully realized and completed a $60 experience that would live to everyone's expectations with a 100-man development team in 2 years, let alone a team of that size fractured between a new entry and DLC for the previous game.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
If Astral Chain didn’t get a Spirit Event in 2019 I’d have hope for the Legionis for this or a hypothetical third pass

I feel like considering there were stated plans by Platinum to want to work with the series going forward, I can them being a future game Smash character. It seems the spirit event means they've probably written the idea off for DLC this game. Sad.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

I think it's been a long enough time period where if we do get a third pass, Astral Chain would be back on board.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair, I could definitely see an out-of-touch corporate executive saying "The Simpsons and Family Guy had a Mario cameo without getting the rights. Surely you guys could do it.", failing to understand the clear differences between those examples and their demands.
I know we live in a cartoony reality but there's no ****ing way anyone repping the company would demand this. Activision's licenced out their properties for tv shows and movies in the past, they absolutely know this. They have multiple lawyers who would know this and back up the claim. Not to mention that it's weird how Crash would 'demand' Mario but not the other multimedia **** they've done. It all reads as one giant ****post

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If 9 is announced, I can't wait for everyone to suddenly drop their Shillderace predictions and move onto whoever the next marketable starter is. Granted I think the timing would force a 9th gen Pokemon to have to be fighter 11. Corrin only happened because Fates released in Japan at the time so late November to anywhere in December would be a release date for that. All of that said, I'll be open to the idea of a 9th gen rep if the games prove themselves to look good. 7 was a drastic glow-up from 6 IMO but I've lost a lot of optimism. I'll take anyone over the soccer bunny at this point though.
So much focus on villains now after Sephiroth, and not more mention of Team Rocket/Meowth. Shame, community. Shame!

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Did you guys discuss this article?

Nothing is confirmed but if it's true, it could be real interesting for future Smash DLC and games.
I also heard that Hideki Kamiya said that Bayonetta was co-owned by Nintendo & Platinum Games now. Granted it came from a Youtube Comment (I'm blocked by Kamiya so I can't find out for myself) so take it with a grain of salt.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I also heard that Hideki Kamiya said that Bayonetta was co-owned by Nintendo & Platinum Games now. Granted it came from a Youtube Comment (I'm blocked by Kamiya so I can't find out for myself) so take it with a grain of salt.
I'm blocked by Kamiya
Honestly I don't know what I was expecting

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So Hazmatt decided to do some math for when the next character would release and this is what he came up with.
We should be getting a character released around March 8th to March 12th according to this.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A rough calendar of March, June, & September would make sense and might roughly line up with Nintendo's news cycle plans to boot.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So Hazmatt decided to do some math for when the next character would release and this is what he came up with.
We should be getting a character released around March 8th to March 12th according to this.
Second half of the Tales anniversary stream is on the 6th-ish
This is how Lloyd wins!
:4pacman:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So, a couple weeks before the next amiibo drop!

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
They aren’t releasing a new pokemon rpg gen just 2 years after gen 8. The space between gens are at least 3 years. This year is 98% probable we will get gen 4 remakes.

2022 is maybe when we can see gen 9 games, but I hope Game Freak take things with calm and released mini DLC expansion for gen 4 remakes (with content from Platinium version, same size as one of the two expansions of S/S). Then in 2023, release a full gen 9 game. HD development takes more time, so I hope TPC decided to take 4 years between generations. By this way, their games can sell more and their legs won’t be cut so soon by the new releases

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm gonna be honest, I'm really, really hoping Gen 9 isn't next. Not because I want a Sinnoh remake (well, I do, but that's not the main reason), but because I don't think Game Freak learned from what went wrong with Sword/Shield.

While Sword/Shield's DLC does show that Game Freak understands the primary complaints about Gen 8 (removing Pokemon, being visually unspectacular, being overly linear and handholdy)...
Actually the DLC was planned from the get go, which means that most of its features weren't a direct response to the controversies. I can't make any definitive accusations, but it kinda sounds like a lot of people got swindled here.

...Sword/Shield was the product of a dev team that's already too small to complete Triple-A game being split between multiple projects at a time. There's absolutely no way they developed a fully realized and completed a $60 experience that would live to everyone's expectations with a 100-man development team in 2 years, let alone a team of that size fractured between a new entry and DLC for the previous game.
I agree. In fact I'll take that a step further and say there's no way they'll even be able to make another game on the same level as Pokémon Sword and Shield in just 2 years.

So much focus on villains now after Sephiroth, and not more mention of Team Rocket/Meowth. Shame, community. Shame!
Arcadenik Arcadenik is typing...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, but how the ** would they demand Mario? I'm pretty sure they'd have to have secured rights beforehand to do that, but this implies that they had yet to do so, which sounds like complete bull**
Beats me. That's what was written.

It does sound like bull****, but I can believe a clueless higher up would have no clue about copyright infringement having worked as an animator myself. I once got asked to add Mickey Mouse into some marketing to appeal to kids. I wasn't working for Disney.

Also remember Microsoft bought Rare thinking they'd get the rights to Donkey Kong so it's not that much of a stretch for me to believe the contact between Activision and the animators made a gaff like that.

Copyright infringement only matters when it's your IP being stolen according to some companies!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If the rumors about that Crash show’s development are true, I could definitely see that extending to Smash. It sounds similar to the stuff MaximillianDood hinted at happening regarding Activision & PS Allstars.

But at the same time, if anyone can control them it’s Sakurai & the Smash team. They’ve been miracle workers when it comes to Ultimate.

zferolie

Smash Hero
While i am excited for maruo 3d world, i wish they added more playable characters. Where is my Daisy love?!

If the rumors about that Crash show’s development are true, I could definitely see that extending to Smash. It sounds similar to the stuff MaximillianDood hinted at happening regarding Activision & PS Allstars.

But at the same time, if anyone can control them it’s Sakurai & the Smash team. They’ve been miracle workers when it comes to Ultimate.
Hang on, was this about making a new ps all stars, or about why he wasnt in ps all stars?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
While i am excited for maruo 3d world, i wish they added more playable characters. Where is my Daisy love?!

Hang on, was this about making a new ps all stars, or about why he wasnt in ps all stars?
I’m willing to bet it’s the latter

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Beats me. That's what was written.

It does sound like bull****, but I can believe a clueless higher up would have no clue about copyright infringement having worked as an animator myself. I once got asked to add Mickey Mouse into some marketing to appeal to kids. I wasn't working for Disney.

Also remember Microsoft bought Rare thinking they'd get the rights to Donkey Kong so it's not that much of a stretch for me to believe the contact between Activision and the animators made a gaff like that.

Copyright infringement only matters when it's your IP being stolen according to some companies!
That reminds me of a Cobra Kai S2 scene where at Johnny Lawrence dojo they filmed a commercial and he demands their students to include Thunderstruck (ACDC song) on it, one of theirs replies “I think the rights of that song are very expensive” and he answers “no, I have the cassette at the back of my car”:rotfl:

D

Deleted member

Im kinda running on the Passes being on their own time frames. There was a big gap between Byleth and Min Min because one was the end of a pass while the other a beginning of a new one. Min Min to Steve to Sephiroth really haven't been too long between so I'm honestly expecting the 'teaser'/reveal to the next DLC character by the 2nd or 3rd week of February with a release within 2 weeks of that (so around first week of March).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Based what I've seen so far, it seems the general agreement is that CP9 is somewhere in March

Yeah, that seems pretty reasonable. It also puts an even bigger spotlight on the absent Mii Costumes so whoop-de-doo

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Clearly what's going to happen is the next reveal trailer will be on the first of March, revealing Dante while being on DMC3's 16th anniversary in the West. Dante then gets released on the 8th.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, me focusing on the Tales livestream got me wondering if there's any other streamed events coming up. Obviously, not all of them are a guarantee for a new character, but I'm kinda curious. Specifically, events in March is what I'm eying; We could see a Steve situation then where they're revealed in time for a big event, but CP10 would likely be covered at E3 and CP11 is too far off to tell; For all we know, they could be a double reveal with CP10.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Y'know, me focusing on the Tales livestream got me wondering if there's any other streamed events coming up. Obviously, not all of them are a guarantee for a new character, but I'm kinda curious. Specifically, events in March is what I'm eying; We could see a Steve situation then where they're revealed in time for a big event, but CP10 would likely be covered at E3 and CP11 is too far off to tell; For all we know, they could be a double reveal with CP10.
I mentioned this before, but Dragalia Lost confirmed that they'll be having another Dragalia Digest (basically a Nintendo Direct, but specifically for DL) to commemorate the game's 2.5 Year Anniversary. Makes you wonder...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They aren’t releasing a new pokemon rpg gen just 2 years after gen 8. The space between gens are at least 3 years. This year is 98% probable we will get gen 4 remakes.

2022 is maybe when we can see gen 9 games, but I hope Game Freak take things with calm and released mini DLC expansion for gen 4 remakes (with content from Platinium version, same size as one of the two expansions of S/S). Then in 2023, release a full gen 9 game. HD development takes more time, so I hope TPC decided to take 4 years between generations. By this way, their games can sell more and their legs won’t be cut so soon by the new releases
I don't expect Gen 4 remakes this year because of the 25th anniversary. They wouldn't be celebrating the series properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom