• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It's a shame LEVEL-5 will probably go out of business soon, they used to be really good before they weren't. Honestly I wouldn't count on LEVEL-5 rep, their relationship with Nintendo has fallen through, and they killed every franchise they had the only reason they are still in business is because of their eshop bargain bin sales. I honesty wished they somehow had a hit and made a Capcom like comeback but it doesn't look likely unfortunately.
Actually, I think I remeber seei g in thr layton thread that stuff started to look a bit better for them

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
\\
Actually, I think I remeber seei g in thr layton thread that stuff started to look a bit better for them
I remember hearing about Layton a little bit

however nothing will save them at this point

Yo kai watch 2 opened above 1 mil day one and ended up becoming the best selling 3ds game in Japan selling above 6 million

now it's lucky to crack 100k

the only thing they really have left is ni no kuni, its sad to see but multiple bad decisions happened to get to this point.
they recently closed down their overseas branches as well.

I could see bandai-namco or Nintendo trying to buy some of their franchises but at this point I don't think level-5 will be around for much longer
(which is a shame because Fanatasy life 2 would have been amazing)

From a business perspective why would they go for a LEVEL-5 franchise? All of them are dead, and not Banjo dead, Chibi-robo dead

idk maybe things will improve but Level-5 has taken a gigantic nose dive scarily quickly, just 5 years ago they rivaled Nintendo in Japan creating multi million seller after multi million seller.

maybe i'm just pessimistic.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I had a dream where Crash was announced and he had a challenge centered on platforming through a few of the smash maps. You had 4 lives and if you lost all of them, you lose your chance to unlock him earlier.

That would have been cool but i think Sephiroth challenge was a one-off thing
It's likely a one-off thing, but given the reception on the Sephiroth Challenge, I wouldn't be surprised if the devs didn't at least consider doing it again.

Whether they will or not is another story, but I could see them have the thought run through their minds.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
so, am i probably reading the signs right as "capcom(likely chun or hunter), bamco(likely tales protag or nightmare), other(likely indie rep)"?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
All dlc costumes from Smash 4 came back so it's only natural the last 3 are coming back as well
But who knows tbh...
Joke: Lloyd/MH will be a DLC costume again
Woke: Their costume models will be used to make fighters

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Has a Mii costume been upgraded yet in DLC? I can’t remember if that was only base game or if one of our characters was a costume in Smash 4.
Kinda late but while K. Rool and Isabelle were promoted from Mii Costume to fighter in the base game, none of the characters in the DLC have been promoted. Kinda why Lloyd and Monster Hunter get a lot of focus nowadays, and why a lot of people are pessimistic on them (Though, it seems like the latter is more a result of Chun-Li sucking up all the Capcom discussion)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Kinda late but while K. Rool and Isabelle were promoted from Mii Costume to fighter in the base game, none of the characters in the DLC have been promoted. Kinda why Lloyd and Monster Hunter get a lot of focus nowadays, and why a lot of people are pessimistic on them (Though, it seems like the latter is more a result of Chun-Li sucking up all the Capcom discussion)
Inkling was a mii in 4 and promoted to playable in base Ultimate too. Same with Chrom

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still of the belief given the trend of returning Sm4sh Miis that Monster Hunter, and Lloyd are returning as those.

Which could give us an idea who to next as the last three. I definitely think we will be getting another Capcom rep and swordfighter. That's all I can say.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm on the fence as to what Lloyd's costume means.

On the one hand, we've had three waves based around Sword and Sorcery JRPGs thus far, providing the perfect thematic opportunity to reintroduce Lloyd's costume. This is especially questionable for Byleth's wave, as you could at least argue that Hero and Sephiroth had Dragon Quest and classic Square content in their packs exclusively.

On the other hand, the two other Namco costumes dropped pretty unceremoniously in Min Min and Steve's waves respectively, which stung as many thought that they would be brought back together as part of a Namco character's wave. Although, as the Virtua Fighter costumes showed, costumes do not need to return with a character from the same company if it makes more thematic sense for them to return with a different franchise.

Point is, Lloyd dual-wields a fire and ice sword and was in Super Smash Flash, therefore making him sick as ****.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
aight tinfoil theory time

Apparently Bamco's holding a big Tales 25th anniversary event in March. Usually anniversaries mean jacksquat, I know, but seeing as A: Bamco is working on Smash and could potentially have some pull over the development, at least for their properties, and B: Steve's reveal and presentation was timed around Minecon, then perhaps...?

(Yeah, probably not)

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

Apparently Bamco's holding a big Tales 25th anniversary event in March. Usually anniversaries mean jacksquat, I know, but seeing as A: Bamco is working on Smash and could potentially have some pull over the development, at least for their properties, and B: Steve's reveal and presentation was timed around Minecon, then perhaps...?

(Yeah, probably not)
Advertising Lloyd in Smash in that presentation would be what would happen, with the reveal being just before that. What specific day will it be on?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

(Yeah, probably not)
First that, then Street Fighter II's release, and Monster Hunter: Rise in March.

Any other potential anniversaries and releases worth keeping an eye out on?
Advertising Lloyd in Smash in that presentation would be what would happen, with the reveal being just before that. What specific day will it be on?
I bet on Yuri gets in and Lloyd remains a costume released alongside him.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I'm not really a Tales fan, as someone who went through the interminable period of waiting to see if a former Mii costume might get upgraded to a fighter (or at least an improved Mii outfit) only to end up after two years of speculation to get the same meh costume as in Smash 4? I'm in no hurry to see another fan get dealt that kind of disappointment themselves, so for their sake I do hope Lloyd can get to the status of an actual fighter.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

(Yeah, probably not)
That feels less like a tinfoil hat theory and more like making an educated guess based on preexisting precedent lmao.
First that, then Street Fighter II's release, and Monster Hunter: Rise in March.

Any other potential anniversaries and releases worth keeping an eye out on?

I bet on Yuri gets in and Lloyd remains a costume released alongside him.
Honestly, we might be better off looking at what doesn’t have an anniversary, since practically everything under the sun is celebrating something.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we don’t get a non-Lloyd Tales rep I can see Lloyd’s mii returning with a different Namco character - probably either a JRPG character or sword fighter

or maybe even a random JRPG character in general. I will say it’s sus that back in 4, Gil’s costume was in either Corrin or Bayonetta’s wave and Heihachi’s in Ryu’s but Lloyd was dropped rather unceremoniously outside of a dlc character reveal

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In terms of Capcom reps given I think Monster Hunter is gonna return as a Mii costume that it comes down to Dante and Chun-Li, maybe hopefully Phoenix Wright as well I'm not gonna lose hope on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom