• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, the only prediction of mine that changed is that I'm now thinking Lloyd is the frontrunner for FP9. The fact that he's the final Namco costume remaining after 3 different characters who hail from sword and sorcery JRPGs makes me 🤔 more than a little bit.

Plus, Lloyd is kind of the perfect character to start winding things down after the double whammy that was Steve and Sephiroth. His series is big and his game is well remembered, but he's not from a massive, household series like Minecraft or Final Fantasy. Likewise, while he's never been a longtime fan request like Geno or Issac, he's always been relatively popular in the eyes of the general Smash community. He just seems like a good choice to have filled the general niche that Terry filled last time, a third party who's not massive but still has a lot going for them. Having a dual-wielder in Smash would be pretty neat.

Other than that, my prediction of Ryu Hayabusa or FP10 and a first-party promotional character (most likely from BotW or that 3-D Kirby game referenced in Fighters' code) for FP11. I used to have Bandana Waddle Dee as my FP9 prediction, and I still think he's a relatively strong candidate for FP9 if that want to get a character who's closer to Banjo than Terry for that role, but it feels more like the stars are aligning for Lloyd.
Lloyd's been consistently popular for Smash requests on this site from what I've seen, that's at least Geno's level, especially considering both even got acknowledged by Sakurai. I'd say he's more popular than Isaac on account of people actually spelling his name correctly consistently but that's me

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
guess who bought dmc5! THIS GUY!

now I want dante even more now.
Speaking of recently playing games, I just played Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for the first time two days ago. I am already half way through and it's a cute fun game to play. I think if Toad ever get's in, it should be Captain Toad.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Honestly, the only prediction of mine that changed is that I'm now thinking Lloyd is the frontrunner for FP9. The fact that he's the final Namco costume remaining after 3 different characters who hail from sword and sorcery JRPGs makes me 🤔 more than a little bit.

Plus, Lloyd is kind of the perfect character to start winding things down after the double whammy that was Steve and Sephiroth. His series is big and his game is well remembered, but he's not from a massive, household series like Minecraft or Final Fantasy.
You know who else is from Bandai Namco and is from a game that everyone remember but not a massive household name (anymore)? It's Agumon!

I pretty much don't believe this but dipping on another swordfighter after the last character being swordfighter seems funny to me, though Lloyd being a Smash 4 mii makes his chances very very slim, not saying it's impossible but there's still a small chance that it will happened.

Just a reminder that Agumon is a possible option for a Bandai Namco rep.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Is there any threads on this site for posting hypothetical dream rosters? I’m unsure if there is one or if I could post said roster here

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Speaking of recently playing games, I just played Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for the first time two days ago. I am already half way through and it's a cute fun game to play. I think if Toad ever get's in, it should be Captain Toad.
Fun fact, if any of you didn't know, Captain Toad could appear on the New donk city stage. Just wanna say this because it's not talked about too much.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Fun fact, if any of you didn't know, Captain Toad could appear on the New donk city stage. Just wanna say this because it's not talked about too much.
That would be because he's well hidden. He's fairly inconspicuous, and unless you're playing a Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker song (out of the 116 other tracks), he will only appear every three rotations. Most matches don't go that long.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
That would be because he's well hidden. He's fairly inconspicuous, and unless you're playing a Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker song (out of the 116 other tracks), he will only appear every three rotations. Most matches don't go that long.
sakurai is protecting captain toad from the wahoominati. he is safe.

Paraster

Smash Lord
With 3 characters down and 3 more remaining, most of us probably haven't changed our predictions all that much. Sephiroth being introduced pretty much means 1 character is out in the running on our predictions.

Like for instance, I was thinking Cadence from Crypt of the NecroDancer would be in Smash with a rhythm based mechanic involving her moveset, but it was always going to be incredibly hard to develop since we're dealing with over a thousands tracks, and negotiations are probably needed for it since Sakurai apparently had to ask permission from every music holder to put their songs on Battlefield (I don't have a citation for this I just saw it on the previous Newcomer thread). It's certainly safe to say she isn't coming even if she wasn't seen super likely anyways.

So tell me. Who of the 4 characters you thought were gonna be in Smash until Sephiroth killed them?
I think you have a point regarding music, but I don't necessarily think Cadence would be made less likely by a complicated rhythm mechanic. I actually made my own Cadence moveset where the most rhythm she has lies in the specials being used or powered up by hitting B in rhythm with visual cues.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Okay, here's a fun game for you guys; think of a character whose final smash would be cinematic and end with a discretion shot (aka it doesn't show exactly what happens to the target but implies that whatever happens wouldn't be appropriate for a game of Ultimate's rating) and a KO scream from the primary target (assuming they have one of course).

Steve's Final Smash is the closest example of what I am talking about.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
On the topic of Morrigan, they can clearly cover-up Morrigan if they need to. Because Capcom has before:

Morrigan, despite being a succubus, is still fairly tame for the most part. If Sakurai wanted her, I doubt she'd give much difficulty.

Also, a reminder that Demitri has been in games without the genderswapping. Seriously, he doesn't need it to be in. Give us our frickin' Darkstalkers 4, Capcom, and show it doesn't need to be mandatory for Demitri.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, here's a fun game for you guys; think of a character whose final smash would be cinematic and end with a discretion shot (aka it doesn't show exactly what happens to the target but implies that whatever happens wouldn't be appropriate for a game of Ultimate's rating) and a KO scream from the primary target (assuming they have one of course).

I'm thinking Freddy Fazbear, since stuffing an opponent into an animatronic suit filled with mechanical parts would be too gruesome a sight to show.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Dante's Judgement technique when activating Sin Devil Trigger.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Unlike Square Enix Mii Outfits, those from the likes of Capcom or Namco don't have to come from a character hailing from the same company.
In these instances, the theming to follow would be how Heihachi's costume returned.

So it's a near certainty that the next character could hail from an RPG of some kind. (Does Monster Hunter count aside from MH Stories?)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So has any interesting discussion happened? What’d I miss?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I was talking about this to someone in the Bandana Dee thread about peoples' reactions if Bandana Dee got in compared to their reactions to other DLC Nintendo characters and they said something like "They wasn't sure Dee would get a better response than Min Min because of Arms not being represented yet and Kirby already having 3 reps" which I kind of disagree. I think peoples' reactions to Dee would be close to their reactions to Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie. But how would you guys say people would react to Bandana Dee?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Relius. His puppet thing grabs an opponent, and the cinematic starts. It shows Relius sitting in a chair in front of a captured opponent. The bonds that the opponent is in is character specific, and tends to be pretty lewd on the women, so I'm not going to post a compilation here. Relius gets up and walks forward, saying something to the effect of "let the experiments begin" before the foreground doors slam shut, and the cutscene is over.

It's worth mentioning that some of the bondage methods are jokes, for example, Makoto is trapped in a hamster ball, so there is a ton of potential for cool references, and hilarious gags.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On the topic of Morrigan, they can clearly cover-up Morrigan if they need to. Because Capcom has before:

Morrigan, despite being a succubus, is still fairly tame for the most part. If Sakurai wanted her, I doubt she'd give much difficulty.

Also, a reminder that Demitri has been in games without the genderswapping. Seriously, he doesn't need it to be in. Give us our frickin' Darkstalkers 4, Capcom, and show it doesn't need to be mandatory for Demitri.
I find the Midnight Bliss stuff fun, but I'd prefer it only in a smaller roster game, and obviously only for the more mature games anyway. Now he would make for a cool guest in Mortal Kombat, but that's more due to being a horror-based vampire design.

Morrigan I would love to see in, nonetheless. She's very easy to cover up anyway, doesn't have to worry about pantyshots, and outside of giving her special controls like Ryu/Ken/Terry for some moves, wouldn't really play like a shotoclone(she does have a few moves based upon it, though I don't think she has a spinning move. She does have a Dragon Punch and Fireball though). She also has a Rush Move in general(similar to Fox Flash, but generally to combo), much like a lot of various fighting games have done. I think Killer Instinct or Street Fighter was the first one to introduce that kind of combo starter. I only remember Fulgore and other KI characters having it. I didn't really play any Street Fighter besides the variations on II, so... it's hard to remember how often it even showed up in SF in general.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Assuming it was playable, instead of Incineroar Mimikyu’s “Let’s Snuggle Forever” comes to my mind.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I was talking about this to someone in the Bandana Dee thread about peoples' reactions if Bandana Dee got in compared to their reactions to other DLC Nintendo characters and they said something like "They wasn't sure Dee would get a better response than Min Min because of Arms not being represented yet and Kirby already having 3 reps" which I kind of disagree. I think peoples' reactions to Dee would be close to their reactions to Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie. But how would you guys say people would react to Bandana Dee?
My guess is he'd get a big "meh" from the general public. He's cute, but I don't think he's in high demand.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm really hoping the next character is more on the cartoon element.
Agumon, Rayman, Crash, Frogger, Red the Angry Bird. There's many options. Just feels overdue.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Can i say that i find it super boring that starting with Joker, most of the Final Smashes have been exactly the same cinematic thing with some slight variations. I find that super uninspired for how cool this characters tend to be in general.

Terry and Byleth especially have no excuse having those type of attacks. Terry could have used any of his supers instead of making it cinematic but i guess at least he can use them in the game regularly. As for Byleth, Sothis.PNG has to be the most uninspired final smash idea ever

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm really hoping the next character is more on the cartoon element.
Agumon, Rayman, Crash, Frogger, Red the Angry Bird. There's many options. Just feels overdue.
I think it's not as Overdue, I think it's just a proof of the evolution of the gaming landscape sadly, where "Cartoony" characters/Mascott characters doesn't do as good as expected or aren't as well known anymore.
We basically have all of the most well known "cartoony characters" in gaming beside Crash and Rayman...If you look up past the 10/15 years, all of the biggest games/Gaming icons are either "Stereotypical western hero" or "Anime character".

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I don't care much for Monster Hunter or Lloyd and don't see them as all that likely, but-
"We made this guy a Mii costume that one time in that other game now he can never be a playable character, in any future Smash game, ever."
Think about how this sounds, c'mon.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Unlike Square Enix Mii Outfits, those from the likes of Capcom or Namco don't have to come from a character hailing from the same company.
In these instances, the theming to follow would be how Heihachi's costume returned.

So it's a near certainty that the next character could hail from an RPG of some kind. (Does Monster Hunter count aside from MH Stories?)
I don't think that the returning Mii Fighter costumes have to come with a fighter of the same genre, as Mega Man and Fire Emblem have nothing in common.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee isnt important. Hes nowhere near the level of those you mentioned. Hes a D- tier character. He would be disliked more than byleth. Horrible and boring addition, please stop.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Bandana Dee isnt important. Hes nowhere near the level of those you mentioned. Hes a D- tier character. He would be disliked more than byleth. Horrible and boring addition, please stop.
Maybe Dee isn't as important as Ridley, K. Rool, or Banjo & Kazooie. But he's at least a B-tier character if not a A-tier one since he's one of the stars of Kirby behind Kirby himself, Dedede, and Meta Knight. He certainly isn't a D-tier one that's for sure.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You know who else is from Bandai Namco and is from a game that everyone remember but not a massive household name (anymore)? It's Agumon!

I pretty much don't believe this but dipping on another swordfighter after the last character being swordfighter seems funny to me, though Lloyd being a Smash 4 mii makes his chances very very slim, not saying it's impossible but there's still a small chance that it will happened.

Just a reminder that Agumon is a possible option for a Bandai Namco rep.
Agumon has a lot going for it.
Unique frame.
Unique moveset.
Untapped style of toy.
Reboot to the series.

I'd argue he is the most likely Bamco.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Can i say that i find it super boring that starting with Joker, most of the Final Smashes have been exactly the same cinematic thing with some slight variations. I find that super uninspired for how cool this characters tend to be in general.

Terry and Byleth especially have no excuse having those type of attacks. Terry could have used any of his supers instead of making it cinematic but i guess at least he can use them in the game regularly. As for Byleth, Sothis.PNG has to be the most uninspired final smash idea ever
Why everyone gotta pick on Projenitor God: Ruptured Heaven when it's Gigaslash that actually looks bad. :glare:

Anyway, it's probably because they're the flashiest and easiest to sell. It's also easier to balance, because a lot of the unique Final Smashes are either annoying (Triforce of Wisdom) or hot garbage (Puff Up). Terry in particular needed a cutscene Final Smash because his supers are already in his main moveset.

That reminds me; how would you guys react if the Pokémon Trainer we got in Ultimate was Elio and Selene?
It'd be kinda weird. I think that the other trainers should be alternate costumes of Red and Leaf rather than replace them. It would also be better if the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon could be any three of the playable characters, but that isn't going to happen at present.

No. Never ever tell people to stop liking their character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom