• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Speaking of Rayman. Know that ice that appears to look like Rayman inside? Assuming Rayman is among the final three think that might have something to do with his reveal trailer like him breaking out as characters in his supposed trailer duals it out on the Battlefield?
I kinda do wonder if Sakurai would address the ice and explain the technical oddities behind it if Rayman is DLC.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That’s in Japan. It’s coming out tonight at 6pm PST much time my dismay
I just rewatch that part of the Sakurai Presents Sephiroth and he said the 22nd not the 23rd.
Well it's the 23rd over for Europe and Japan so that means it's the 23rd worldwide. Smash Ballot logic!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Rayman. Know that ice that appears to look like Rayman inside? Assuming Rayman is among the final three think that might have something to do with his reveal trailer like him breaking out as characters in his supposed trailer duals it out on the Battlefield?

Not too certain to be honest at this point. At the very least I suspect a Capcom rep. Sephiroth really threw things into a loop.
This is the kind of thing I would absolutely love to be true, though I don't see it as being likely because I figure Sakurai and Co. love the element of surprise, and hiding a potential newcomer in the background for people to take notice of would kind of pull away from the unexpected "Wow!" factor.

But, who knows? They've surprised me with crazier things before.

Rayman was kind of one of the only other characters I was really hoping to see make it into the game, aside from Geno (rest his star-shaped soul). But, at this point, every attempted prediction on my part has ended up completely wrong, so, allow me to make some more likely-incorrect claims about the final set.

• Dr. Eggman (More bad guys make this Smash fan happy, so what's another one to the pile? The Boss of Bosses, let's go.)
  • Crash Bandicoot/Coco Bandicoot (Skin swaps since they're both playable in the recent games as of late? Who knows!)
  • Dixie Kong (I try to think of a Nintendo character to sort of round this out, because I don't expect Min Min to be the only first party involved in this pass, and Dixie's one I've wanted for a while.)

There are also very faint hopes that Sakurai will break convention, and somehow get us a spot with Geno despite the costume, but this is about as likely as me myself getting into the Smash roster, so I'm not even really clinging to that. But, like I said, everything has been a shocker for me this whole DLC cycle, so, who knows for sure what's up?

I can at least make the attempt to guess, and that's what's fun about all this.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wonder if they will reuse the "Sephirot Challengue" for the other 3 DLC fighters left, because it was honestly pretty fun.
They might. Sephiroth is one of the most iconic video game villains right up there with Bowser and Dr. Eggman so I think it made sense for them to create a special event for such a iconic 3rd party character.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I'm still waiting on King Zell's Halo rumor. Vergen's Minecraft hint took long time to come true. I bet the same will happen to Halo. Covid must've messed up or prolonged release schedule. He wouldn't have bothered to hint it twice if he wasn't sure. It's not too crazy to think that Microsoft could've demanded Nintendo to put Master Chief as well if Nintendo wanted Steve.

cothero

Smash Lord
I could easily see a third pass happening with like two more characters with the Covid-19 remission in Japan, as the Sephiroth direct was recorded back in the studio again. Imagine Fighter 9 coming out in march and a double reveal happening in June at E3, wraping up Fighters Pass 2. It would open a space for two more characters: one to be released in september and the other in december 2021. Of course this is all speculative.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Sora would kill that Aerith dress

Then kill Sephiroth while wearing it
Not to dive into powerscaling, but Smash's version of Sephiroth is clearly based on actual FF7 Sephiroth, whereas KH is clearly either weaker or a version who isn't trying, as in both the cutscenes after beating him in KH1 and KH2, he returns to fight Cloud and treats you as merely an appetizer. While in KH1 he does appear to have taken some damage he's not actually fully defeated, and in KH2 he just brushes it off and says only Cloud can 'eliminate him'.

So it's more like Sora would put on the Aerith dress and Sephiroth would end him just like he did the original wearer of the dress.

Though I will say Sora always feels like he gets close to that level every game, but just falls shy.

Speaking of characters who seem doomed to never get into Smash but would be hype as hell if Sakurai managed it...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To be honest guys, I don't think we will be getting a Fighter's Pass 3. You guys remember the WoL slots from the game's files? There was 16 empty slots in WoL back when the game came out. Since then, Piranha Plant, the characters in Fighter's Pass 1 and Fighter's Pass 2 have taken 9 of those slots. That leaves us with 7 currently which 3 of the remaining Fighter's Pass 2 characters will take up 3 slots leaving 4 after the Pass. I think it's possible we might get bonus DLC at the end but not a Fighter's Pass 3 as 4 characters or less wouldn't seem to be a fitting number for a Season Pass. Plus as hackers have discovered, moding the game with more slots after the WoL ones softlocks the game so it can't go beyond potentially 7 more fighters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be honest guys, I don't think we will be getting a Fighter's Pass 3. You guys remember the WoL slots from the game's files? There was 16 empty slots in WoL back when the game came out. Since then, Piranha Plant, the characters in Fighter's Pass 1 and Fighter's Pass 2 have taken 9 of those slots. That leaves us with 7 currently which 3 of the remaining Fighter's Pass 2 characters will take up 3 slots leaving 4 after the Pass. I think it's possible we might get bonus DLC at the end but not a Fighter's Pass 3 as 4 characters or less wouldn't seem to be a fitting number for a Season Pass. Plus as hackers have discovered, moding the game with more slots after the WoL ones softlocks the game so it can't go beyond potentially 7 more fighters.
It seems more like a software issue than a hardware issue though based on me asking around. They’d just need to add another placeholder to get around the crashing

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speaking of characters who seem doomed to never get into Smash but would be hype as hell if Sakurai managed it...
I'm guessing you're talking about Geno? I noticed that the thread got closed again (possibly for good), so you and the other fans have my condolences.

But hey! This thread has gotten a LOT better ever since the thread change: we've only had ONE Byleth rant!

Heoj

Smash Ace
Mfw the mods take down the geno thread cuz god knows why and know my geno hat edits don't work anymore. Ngl im always gonna be salty about this, apparently fatman got banned or something, i almost never believed anything he said but he was a cool dude, at least hes active on the star road discord so theres that. Im not gonna solely post about geno here, there are several other characters id like to talk and speculate about, like phoenix wright, chun li, sora and others, just letting people know i think it ws a ridiculously absurd decision and im never gonna forget it

20201222_173815.png

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Yeah I'm sort of confused on why Fatman got banned myself. I know a lot of people here didn't believe what he said and he had a bad track record, but we're not ResetEra. That's a bad reason to ban him.

I don't understand what exactly he did to be banned.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But hey! This thread has gotten a LOT better ever since the thread change: we've only had ONE Byleth rant!
And it wasn't even about how worthwhile he was as an edition. Instead, it was about some pretty sus insider info. We have nuance now!

Oh good gravy, I've been corrupted by Among Us and I don't even play the game.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm guessing you're talking about Geno? I noticed that the thread got closed again (possibly for good), so you and the other fans have my condolences.

No, I still have a little bit of faith left for my puppet boi from the starry heavens. Not much, but some.

No, it's Sora, obviously, as the only two characters I spoke of in that post where him and Sephiroth...and one literally JUST got into Smash.

It's clear due to Disney-Japan issues that he won't be in this pass, and I believe it will be a struggle to get him in at all. His best chance is a standalone package that doesn't have ties to any Fighter's Pass since Sora only ever crosses over with his own content and with no one else unless it's Riku.

Yeah I'm sort of confused on why Fatman got banned myself. I know a lot of people here didn't believe what he said and he had a bad track record, but we're not ResetEra. That's a bad reason to ban him.

I was informed that talking about him too much will be seen as spam and can get you warnings, so please be careful with that if you value your account here.

Since I don't, they really had no reason, no matter what they say. Ever since I joined in 2018 I've seen them slowly give him more and more rules for just him to follow and it got to the point where he either had to word things in a ridiculously specific way that no one else did or he could get in trouble for it. At some point he gave up on it in some regard, and honestly it just reeks of powerflexing or misusing admin powers. Funnily enough, both he and the Geno thread were actually rather at peace and law-abiding when it was taken down, which is where most of the confusion is coming from. It seems as though both things happened simultaneously (or as close to that as possible) to prevent Geno Bros from complaining or asking questions, under the guise that Geno is out of the running (despite there still being more DLC left) and in an effort to stop any possible emotional issues or harassment for Geno Bros (despite the thread being very calm with one another and the outsiders coming in to mock us having been rather minor and having already left pages ago).

At the end of the day, staff can do as they please, but they just nuked from orbit the most active Character Support Thread in the middle of Vol 2 and perma-banned one of their oldest members for no true justifiable reason. But, this is a forum that gives you a warning towards a ban for telling someone to 'shut the hell up' when they are saying a company deserves to have their announcements leaked just because they didn't announce them when THEY wanted them to, so maybe by that logic it's justified.

Anyways, back to Newcomer Speculation here...

Last edited:

Awkwah

Smash Apprentice
Mfw the mods take down the geno thread cuz god knows why and know my geno hat edits don't work anymore. Ngl im always gonna be salty about this, apparently fatman got banned or something, i almost never believed anything he said but he was a cool dude, at least hes active on the star road discord so theres that. Im not gonna solely post about geno here, there are several other characters id like to talk and speculate about, like phoenix wright, chun li, sora and others, just letting people know i think it ws a ridiculously absurd decision and im never gonna forget it

View attachment 296779
I mean, just moves the Geno discussion to here, where most people don't want it. And I expect someone (not me cause it is too much effort) will post anything notable Fatman says here. Which in turn will rally up the chat. Unless there is a rule in place I am not sure of.

But really, I will be talking about Geno, Chief, Ahri, Hades, and Buzzwole mostly here.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Locking the Geno thread? I never really posted there much, Geno isn't all that important to me, but... really?

You are essentially taking away fans' of a character's ability to discuss that character and their merits, or just chill with that character in mind - something even the most obscure of characters have always had so long as somebody wanted to make the thread in question.

If there're problems with a support thread - which I won't deny, the Geno thread needed work, haha - there's gotta be better ways to go about it than that. You say you've done it before, that's cool. It was a bad idea then too. Really, now. Shame...

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

Well from what I gathered the staff actually had him in their sniper red dots for ages now, but decided not to pull the trigger as he is a "necessary evil" for active Geno speculation, but now that Geno has been supposedly disconfirmed he has lost his leverage and protection. To be honest I don't think the thread needed to be locked as it is still a place for the Geno community to chill and such, but maybe the staff will change their minds in the future if they get pressured enough. Anyways to get back to DLC discussion, who else is looking forward to the FFVII spirit board tonight?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Time to integrate myself back into different threads.

Hello old yet familiar faces! How are people feeling about a possible Sm4sh Mii Costume upgrade to fighter? After Heihachi and Geno getting unceremoniously costumed, I do not think we will see it happen for the rest of the pass.

That being the case, who seem like the most likely now? Or is there even a clear indicator?

EDIT: Dr. Jojo Phantasma Dr. Jojo Phantasma I am really looking forward to the new spirits! Hoping for a Jenova or (for ***** and giggles) a Zack Spirit.

Last edited:

Awkwah

Smash Apprentice
Well from what I gathered the staff actually had him in their sniper red dots for ages now, but decided not to pull the trigger as he is a "necessary evil" for active Geno speculation, but now that Geno has been supposedly disconfirmed he has lost his leverage and protection. To be honest I don't think the thread needed to be locked as it is still a place for the Geno community to chill and such, but maybe the staff will change their minds in the future if they get pressured enough. Anyways to get back to DLC discussion, who else is looking forward to the FFVII spirit board tonight?
Have all the spirits been shown already? I want a Safer Sephiroth Spirit

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Time to integrate myself back into different threads.

Hello old yet familiar faces! How are people feeling about a possible Sm4sh Mii Costume upgrade to fighter? After Heihachi and Geno getting unceremoniously costumed, I do not think we will see it happen for the rest of the pass.

That being the case, who seem like the most likely now? Or is there even a clear indicator?
The last bet is really Lloyd, unless you count the Rathalos armor and MonHun gets a spot. They're both looking a little unsure right now in terms of chance, and with Bamco costumes suddenly showing up my confidence in a new Bamco pick has definitely plummeted.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Have all the spirits been shown already? I want a Safer Sephiroth Spirit
Not as far as I know. There are at least thirteen spirits (enough for two pages and a total of four rows - there's going to be sixteen at the most), and all we've seen are the eight party members (Tifa, Barret, Aeris, Red XIII, Cait Sith, Cid, Yuffie, Vincent), Rufus Shinra and the Turks (as one spirit), Chocobo and Moogle (as one spirit), and Shiva. That leaves anywhere between two to five unknown spirits.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Probably mods favoring the anti-Fatman crowd. Like, why ban him right after they permanently lock the Geno thread for good? It's suspicious.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The last bet is really Lloyd, unless you count the Rathalos armor and MonHun gets a spot. They're both looking a little unsure right now in terms of chance, and with Bamco costumes suddenly showing up my confidence in a new Bamco pick has definitely plummeted.
That is how I see it as well. Lloyd would be the last possible upgrade. Unless he comes with a different Bamco Rep.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Probably mods favoring the anti-Fatman crowd. Like, why ban him right after they permanently lock the Geno thread for good? It's suspicious.
Dont bring that **** in here
-------
Anyway um, I know this isn't related to fighters and maybe y'all can put this on you list of smash moves for MH but the hunting horn in Rise looks fantastic

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Locking the Geno thread? I never really posted there much, Geno isn't all that important to me, but... really?

You are essentially taking away fans' of a character's ability to discuss that character and their merits, or just chill with that character in mind - something even the most obscure of characters have always had so long as somebody wanted to make the thread in question.

If there're problems with a support thread - which I won't deny, the Geno thread needed work, haha - there's gotta be better ways to go about it than that. You say you've done it before, that's cool. It was a bad idea then too. Really, now. Shame...
In fairness, the same thing happened with the Smash 4 Ridley thread. This isn't really new.

If I had to pick who I’d want:
Sega rep: NiGHTS or Ristar or Dr. Eggman
Capcom rep: Edward falcon or Morrigan
Nintendo: King Boo?

(In a perfect world) Konami: Sparkster
Yoooooo Sparkster.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Since we all know the best commercials have dogs in them, I'm going to shill Yuri Lowell, not by talking about Yuri, but about his pupper Repede:
View attachment 296744
Yup, he's got a pipe. It allegedly belonged to his previous owner and he never leaves without it. Also, similar to Sif or Zacian, he has a knife he can use to attack his opponents. Did I mention he's a playable character? I didn't, but he is. He's got a real independent streak and decides what he wants to do all on his own.
And he can dress as Jotaro Joestar.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm just really happy to see all of this Yuri Lowell talk, honestly. He's a super cool dude: Having him in Smash would be rad, IMO.

I don't really expect him or any Bamco fighters at the moment, but man, I hope that Tales still makes it in somehow.
More Yuri talk makes me happy also. Hes a pretty cool smartass of a character

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
That's pretty much the point. A good part of the Smash fanbase would hate him for being an anime swordsman. And a good part of the League fanbase would hate him because he's Yasuo and now they have to deal with him on the online queue of yet another game. :roll:
Oh, and one would have to deal with him on an online system that's so bad: it often gets very unfavorable comparisions to rollback netcode made by four people in their basements.

Nintendo's decision to skim on online infrastructure this console generation really strikes me as an exceptionally poor one (even if their reason is most likely financial, considering Nintendo's a fiscally conservative company), and not just because they could've had a better online multiplayer system: NSO's library of classic titles could've been much larger.

Not as far as I know. There are at least thirteen spirits (enough for two pages and a total of four rows - there's going to be sixteen at the most), and all we've seen are the eight party members (Tifa, Barret, Aeris, Red XIII, Cait Sith, Cid, Yuffie, Vincent), Rufus Shinra and the Turks (as one spirit), Chocobo and Moogle (as one spirit), and Shiva. That leaves anywhere between two to five unknown spirits.
While we shouldn't expect non-FF7 stuff, I'd honestly be really happy if say FF6 or FF8 (as well as any other FF or whatever) got a Spirit, partly because that would be a positive indication for Smash 6 and beyond that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom