• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I haven't played much of the Klonoa series, but looks like this dream walker warrior is about to make his return. Now, I do want to try his games again.

Though, if there is any game that could be revived again. I can say this series should take another shot the right way.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
From what I heard in Brawlhalla you have less attacks you can perform, so the conversion from that game to Smash wouldn't be 1:1 like with Rivals. I might be misinformed though and Rayman is a character I'd like to see so I'm a tad biased.
I respect your bias haha.

And as a Brawlhalla player, I just personally wanna slightly correct what I bolded from this quote. I believe all individual characters in Brawlhalla have less UNIQUE attacks as compared to other characters, whether it's because of the weapon combination or because each signature (which is what Brawlhalla players call the respective game's character's special moves) can launch opponents at different angles and animate differently from other weapons' signatures. But, there are a wide range of moves you can do. Unlike Smash, a lot of moves depend on your DI; for instance, if you're playing a rocket lance character such as Lord Vraxx (whom I main). and you're in the air with your lance equipped, you can attack diagnoally if you aim down and left/right. You can also aim upwards, aim straight and dash forward with the lance, or gravity cancel and perform some ground moves in the air, e.g signatures or just normal attacks.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
So if we end up getting a Tales character what do ya'll think the chances are it will be Alphen from Tales of Arise instead of Yuri or Velvet?
The chances of that boil down to how much they want to ride on the hype of a third party game that will only be recently out by Alphen/Shionne's timeslot.

Pros to the argument is that Namco develops Ultimate. Whether that gives leeway for Masahiro Sakurai to play the game earlier to get a feel of the game, I have no idea. Everytime a character is decided to be put in Smash before their game comes out is that Sakurai gets to play their game so he knows how to make a moveset and other content for them. As far as I'm aware, this has only happened for Nintendo characters. On top of that, I don't think a third party character has released close to their debut game either.

Hero was 100% a tie-in for DQ11S but that's a port of a game that's been out for a year already.

So yes, I do find it a little unlikely that they would choose Alphen/Shionne for Ultimate's last DLC fighter. At this rate, Yuri does make the most sense to me if it were to happen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here would be my picks/predictions on the music part of a Shovel Knight challenger pack:
  1. Main Theme (Shovel Knight) (Remix)
    • The obligatory main theme remix. Could also be a medley with Steel Thy Shovel and/or One Fateful Night and/or The Starlit Wilds. I'd expect this one to be super good regardless.
  2. Strike the Earth! (Remix)
    • I would be surprised if it didn't get a remix, not that it particularly needs one.
  3. The Rival/The Defender (Remix)
    • A medley of the Black Knight battle themes.
  4. No Weapons Here/Courage Under Fire (Remix)
    • A medley of the village themes. I would include the variations of the village themes as well.
  5. In the Halls of the Usurper/In the Halls of the King (Remix?)
    • A medley of the Pridemoor Keep themes.
  6. High Above the Land/A Cargo of Fineries (Remix?)
    • A Medley of the Flying Machine themes. They might could also throw in The Spin Controller.
  7. Facing the Task/The Claws of Fate (Remix)
    • A medley of the Lost City's theme from the Specter of Torment campaign, and Mole Knight's battle theme. Could be An Underlying Problem instead of Facing the Task, but I like the latter better.
  8. Watch Me Dance! (Remix)
    • The dance theme because yes.
  9. The Price of Doing Business
    • The Iron Whale's theme from the Specter of Torment campaign. I like it better because it's more epic, and doesn't tick.
  10. Of Devious Machinations
    • The Clock Tower theme from the Shovel of Hope campaign.
  11. Backed Into a Corner
    • The Hall of Champions boss theme.
  12. The Requiem of Shield Knight (Remix)
    • Shield Knight's theme remixed to fit the game better.
  13. Fighting with All of Our Might (Remix?)
    • The song Hyper Camelot was remixed from. Could get another epic remix, or could be left alone. If Hyper Camelot is allowed, add that too.
  14. Flowers of Antimony (Remix)
    • A Remix of the Exploditorium theme from the Shovel of Hope campaign.
  15. From the Shadows
    • The Lich Yard's theme from the Specter of Torment theme.
  16. A Wintry Paradise/A Cool Reception
    • A Medley of the Stranded Ship themes.
  17. A Buzz in the Grotto
    • The Troupple Pond theme from the King of Cards campaign.
  18. Le Bouquet Magique (Remix)
    • The...ending theme? of the Plague of Shadows campaign remixed to fit the game better.
  19. Tower of Fate Medley (Remix)
    • Includes The Fateful Return, The Inner Struggle, and if possible, The Forlorn Sanctum.
  20. The Possessor/The Betrayer
    • A medley of The Enchantress's boss themes

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I haven't played much of the Klonoa series, but looks like this dream walker warrior is about to make his return. Now, I do want to try his games again.

Though, if there is any game that could be revived again. I can say this series should take another shot the right way.
Reminds me of medievil but slower. Gauntlet was a lot of fun in the arcade but best with 4 players..

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
At least the character models in BotW aren't just the same 3 faces with clothes swapped.

:4pacman:
Well, at least none of these same 3 faces are a train like in Fallout.

(Can we make this into a running gag, with everyone trying to one-up the crazy **** in the previous post? Part of me is wondering how far we could go. :roll:)

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

(Can we make this into a running gag, with everyone trying to one-up the crazy **** in the previous post? Part of me is wondering how far we could go. :roll:)
Well at least the train like in Fallout isn't a representation of the shape, as well as the name, of a group of different markers placed in astrologically significant locations in North Africa which are intended to attract extraterrestrials to our planet in the name of a secretive organisation that has controlled the entire concept of civilisation since the dawn of the earliest settlements in Mesomotatopaiapeleia and also happens to be extremely integral to 2014 meme culture
1632172576652.png

SKX31

Smash Master

At least those three faces can't be stacked:

iceshards.png

For anyone who doesn't know WTF is going on: Yes, Dota 2 screenshot. What's going on here is that Dire's creeps (Red minions) are being intentionally held back by the Ice Shards (a spell that Tusk - Dota 2's local walrus bar brawler with a couple of his spells being Walrus PUNCH and Walrus Kick has). One of Tusk's late game talents is a major cooldown buff to Ice Shards, which is what stalls successive waves of creeps and allows this army to eventually form.

Oh and these are Mega Creeps, basically the equal to Super Minions in LoL but permanent.

By the way, the giant snake? A tower.

Suck stacking / stalling tactics have been used every now and then, and the opponent team has the best counter to this - another player is playing Earthshaker. Not only does Earthshaker's Fissure do similar things as Ice Shards, his Ultimate - Echo Slam - deals damage based on the number of units in the vicinity. Had the Earthshaker player held onto his Ultimate he could've one shot both the army and any unfortunate players nearby.

(I dunno how to feel about the fact that the explanation wound up this long.)

So if we end up getting a Tales character what do ya'll think the chances are it will be Alphen from Tales of Arise instead of Yuri or Velvet?
Cautious, but a bit optimistic. I do prefer Yuri because I really like his character and fighting style, but wouldn't mind Velvet or Alphen at all. FTR, I'm saying this without knowing how Alphen would fight compared to previous Tales of protags, but Arise looks good from what little footage I've seen.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
At least those three faces can't be stacked:

iceshards.png
iceshards.png

For anyone who doesn't know WTF is going on: Yes, Dota 2 screenshot. What's going on here is that Dire's creeps (Red minions) are being intentionally held back by the Ice Shards (a spell that Tusk - Dota 2's local walrus bar brawler with a couple of his spells being Walrus PUNCH and Walrus Kick has). One of Tusk's late game talents is a major cooldown buff to Ice Shards, which is what stalls successive waves of creeps and allows this army to eventually form.

Oh and these are Mega Creeps, basically the equal to Super Minions in LoL but permanent.

By the way, the giant snake? A tower.

Suck stacking / stalling tactics have been used every now and then, and the opponent team has the best counter to this - another player is playing Earthshaker. Not only does Earthshaker's Fissure do similar things as Ice Shards, his Ultimate - Echo Slam - deals damage based on the number of units in the vicinity. Had the Earthshaker player held onto his Ultimate he could've one shot both the army and any unfortunate players.

(I dunno how to feel about the fact that the explanation wound up this long.)
...I dunno how to feel about the fact that this "stacking" was a bug in early LoL, but was patched out. Nor about the fact that that not only is this an actual thing in Dota, but that there's actual conterplay to this ****.

Dota 2 is wild, innit?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Cautious, but a bit optimistic. I do prefer Yuri because I really like his character and fighting style, but wouldn't mind Velvet or Alphen at all. FTR, I'm saying this without knowing how Alphen would fight compared to previous Tales of protags, but Arise looks good from what little footage I've seen.
There's a Demo on Steam that lets you play as each character (though contrary to what it says, I'm pretty sure you have to replay the demo each time in order to swap who you fight with) and gives you a plot hook for each of the three duos at the end.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Klonoa fans might get something soon. SharkLord SharkLord

PogJuice.png

Yeah I dunno this was the first thing starting with "pog" in my image files

Side note it took a moment for the "waffuu" thing to click as "This is Klonoa" before I remembered that - Fun fact - "Hu" isn't a letter in the Japanese alphabet. They actually use an in-between "F/H" sound - "Fhu." Why, I do not know; The other four "H" letters (Ha, Hi, He, Ho) all have a standard "H" sound. So yeah, as you can see my Japanese classes have a practical application.

But yeah, it's been a while since we've heard something from these trademarks. Here's to hoping we'll see something soon.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While the Flying Machine certainly would make sense as far as floating stages go, I feel like that's the nightmare option considering the gimmicks at play.
Nonsense! What's not to love about a vertically scrolling Big Blue!

I agree that it's a strong composition, I just...can't stand the ticking.
It's weird, cause it's the thumps I can't stand. I keep thinking it's the stage and not the song making that sound.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Guess what I’m thinking about the Jane thing in Joker’s file again for no reason

it would be very fitting to the second chance theory if Violet was the last character. Not counting on it in particular but still

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nonsense! What's not to love about a vertically scrolling Big Blue!
Featuring winds that say "you're going in this direction now". EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget the enemies who zip to players and blow them off cliffs!

It could make for a fun stage if your preferred way of playing was pure, unbridled chaos.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tales of Arise is interesting for a few reasons.

It's a massive success and seems well loved.

The Tales of character may turn into a three way race between Lloyd, Yuri and Alphen.

Lloyd had the Smash and western popularity.

Yuri has the in-series and eastern popularity.

But Alphen might shake things up. He's the hot new thing. He might overtake Lloyd and/or Yuri.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

The Tales of character may turn into a three way race between Lloyd, Yuri and Alphen.

But Alphen might shake things up. He's the hot new thing. He might overtake Lloyd and/or Yuri.
Additionally, it's not unheard to go with a character not on Nintendo even though there are characters in the series that have like Cloud. Smash 6? A possibility for sure.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it'd be more interesting if we got Shionne over Alphen. She's the co-protagonist after all

Kritter

Smash Cadet

I'm dying for even just a port of Gauntlet Legends or Dark Legacy on Switch.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What if just for fun the big S breaks his only stated rule and puts in a character that is in video games but originated elsewhere?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Say, do we have any sales data for Arise yet? I remember somebody here was claiming that Bandai Namco was about to have their worst financial year in recent history because Arise and Scarlet Nexus weren't coming to Switch, and apparently the Scarlet Nexus bit might be at least partially true...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Say, do we have any sales data for Arise yet? I remember somebody here was claiming that Bandai Namco was about to have their worst financial year in recent history because Arise and Scarlet Nexus weren't coming to Switch, and apparently the Scarlet Nexus bit might be at least partially true...
Perhaps the data for the first week? Anything more than that is highly unlikely since it just came out.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, it has already made 1 million of copies. Which is a big accomplishment for the series.

Symphonia and Vesperia are supposed to be the best selling ones worldwide, I think with numbers close to 3 million (I don't know if Vesperia Definitive Edition sales are included there, I assume that's the case). So I would be surprised if Arise doesn't surpass them eventually, considering the strong promotion and more appealing visuals/graphics for newcomers.

About what you said, I don't know if the part about having their worst financial year is real or not, but I'm quite sure the reason for that wouldn't be because both Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise aren't on Switch. Obviously they would sell well on Switch, specially Arise, so that would help. But I don't think it would make a big difference, especially with Scarlet Nexus which is a new IP after all.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tales of Arise has already sold 1 million copies worldwide. They put out a tweet to celebrate.

Business is booming.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
A question from someone who only ever saw the first two or so trailers from Arise and like 10 seconds of gameplay:

Aren't Alphen and Shionne coprotagonists in a similar vein to Rex and Pyra/Mythra? As in, they both fight together to the point where it's kinda hard to envision one without the other? That was kind of the impression the first few trailers gave me.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
A question from someone who only ever saw the first two or so trailers from Arise and like 10 seconds of gameplay:

Aren't Alphen and Shionne coprotagonists in a similar vein to Rex and Pyra/Mythra? As in, they both fight together to the point where it's kinda hard to envision one without the other? That was kind of the impression the first few trailers gave me.
I wouldn't say they're exactly like Rex & Pyra/Mythra just by virtue of the fact that they don't really have the same teamwork dynamic that being Driver and Blade brings.

They would likely appear together to some extent (with the other appearing in a taunt and/or super or something) but it would be strange if they were a puppet fighter or anything of the sort whereas with Rex & Pyra/Mythra, it would probably make a lot of sense depending on the execution.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Nope.
They do their own thing.
Though initially, Alphen's trademark molten sword did come out of Shionne's chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom