• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think the observation with regards to Tetris 99 might mean something. Or not. I'll see what happens tomorrow and then I think I'm just taking a break from this thread again, haha. I'll be back once something happens, whether tomorrow or later this month/next month. We're not waiting until December though. Buh-byeeee~

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The direct being in October wouldn't really make sense because they have so many releases in October, later in the year and even in 2022 that they have to show. Unless they're just going to shadow drop all of that stuff then we are still either getting the direct this week or next week.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
The direct being in October wouldn't really make sense because they have so many releases in October, later in the year and even in 2022 that they have to show. Unless they're just going to shadow drop all of that stuff then we are still either getting the direct this week or next week.
The only games they have coming in October are Metroid Dread and Mario Party Superstars. An October direct would most likely happen after Dread comes out, so the only game from 2021 that they would focus on would be SMT V.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I think the observation with regards to Tetris 99 might mean something. Or not. I'll see what happens tomorrow and then I think I'm just taking a break from this thread again, haha. I'll be back once something happens, whether tomorrow or later this month/next month. We're not waiting until December though. Buh-byeeee~
What's up with Tetris 99 if I may ask?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only games they have coming in October are Metroid Dread and Mario Party Superstars. An October direct would most likely happen after Dread comes out, so the only game from 2021 that they would focus on would be SMT V.
That doesn't seem right to me. Why would they wait until Metroid Dread's release if all they have left is Mario Party: Superstars, Fighter Pack 11, and Shin Megami Tensei V?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I mean
They could do an October direct and make last minute reminders that Dread is coming out within the week or whatever

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That doesn't seem right to me. Why would they wait until Metroid Dread's release if all they have left is Mario Party: Superstars, Fighter Pack 11, and Shin Megami Tensei V?
Counte offer

. What if the first words of the direct are

So how's everyone liking Dread so far?

Insert crazy applause

Kinda thing?

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I hope to have an option that let the input buffer be turned off, at least for offline matches; I just dislike the buffer.

Also, I would like if the game gets rebalanced in a way so that shields and grabs are very dangerous to use and it's usually better to just fight in a more traditional way. Maybe, change the shield mechanics in a way so that it's more like a parry: the shield itself is very weak, but if you release it the exact moment when you take damage, you will block the attack and shock the opponent for a few frames, getting a chance to counter the attack (not an automatic counter btw).

Other than that, I would like the implementation of more advanced physics: instead of having a fixed walking speed and running speed, it being momentum-based like in the old school platformers; instead of having fixed jump heights, make them variable depending on how long you hold the jump button; instead of having some fixed pre-coded knockback angles and strenght, make it more dynamic, much more like realistic explosion physics; etc.

I would like the wavedash to become an actual move, and get a simplified input for making it accessible at any skill level. Air dashes might be interesting too, maybe by using the same input but in air.
Wavedash as an actual move input? Air dashes? A shield that is more like a parry?
1631638475884.jpeg

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Wavedash as an actual move input? Air dashes? A shield that is more like a parry?
View attachment 330262
I was not joking when I said that the game interests me, I can't wait to try it out. And I'm not even a fan of those Nickelodeon cartoons, I mean, Spongebob is funny for memes and I used to watch Fairy Oddparents many years ago, but that's it.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To show off mainly 2022 games.
Fall directs are mainly there for hyping up products for the holiday season though...

Actually, nickelodeon All Star Brawl has a shield that causes you to be pushed back rather than take damage. You can parry, but it's not the main function like it is in Rivals of Aether.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Fall directs are mainly there for hyping up products for the holiday season though...
Most of Nintendo’s holiday line up is comprised of remakes though(Pokémon, Mario Party AND Advance Wars)….

At the very least they will need to push Arceus pretty hard in the direct because I don’t think we will get a January Nintendo direct or Pokémon Presents next year.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
View attachment 330262
Wouldn't wavedash as a single input kinda defeat the idea of a wavedash at all? At that point it's just like less endlag off initial dash. Unless they make it like Melee and every character has different wavedash lengths or something. (not opposed to this btw, simplified inputs is always good, kill L-canceling)

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Wouldn't wavedash as a single input kinda defeat the idea of a wavedash at all? At that point it's just like less endlag off initial dash. Unless they make it like Melee and every character has different wavedash lengths or something. (not opposed to this btw, simplified inputs is always good, kill L-canceling)
I wish I could tell but they havent said much about how it works besides being cancelable into any other action.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
You can wavedash backwards and preserve the facing, you can't do that with an initial dash. Also if you input a neutral attack after performing an initial dash, you will trigger the dash attack, while the wavedash would keep you as if you were standing still, allowing you to do a jab right after performing the dash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The point of a wavedash/wave land is that it's essentially a grounded option from the air since it allows you to quickly touch down on the ground in the direction you want to go into rather than fast falling and then running.

EDIT: To answer your question more directly, the simplicity of execution for the wave dash doesn't get rid of its utility and freedom of movement, which is what the technique is praised for. In fact, the wave dash in Super Smash Bros. Melee is also a single input of just air dodging to the floor. The only thing that makes it difficult there is the fact that the timing is character dependent, so while Fox can make pretty good use of it, Bowser struggles to even pull it off (and IIRC pretty much goes nowhere).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We'll see what happens. Personally, I think their 2021 lineup is either fully revealed or awfully close it. Aside from a few trailers revealing more content for upcoming games and some DLC reveals (Smash, AoC, etc.) I don't think there's much left happening this year that warrants a Direct.

Obviously next year has a lot left to be shown, but that's where it's difficult to predict Nintendo. They could drop a Direct as early as this month or as late as January of next year. Personally, it seems equally possible for them to launch 2022 with a new Direct announcing several spring/summer titles, including a big Splatoon 3 news drop. It really just depends on what they have planned for the first three months of next year. If Arceus is the only release we'll see before April 2022, then I'd lean more toward a late 2021/early 2022 Direct with random trailers/indie Directs/announcements sprinkled throughout the gap to hold us over.

SKX31

Smash Master
Nintendo Direct: Sitcom Edition.

I've heard worse pitches.
Sounds like the time Alpharad collabed with a bunch of Smash pros to produce a parody Direct.

Not really? Tieing wavedashes to a single input would eliminate the issue where people airdodge by mistake or otherwise flub (those kinds of tech flubs happen even to those who've practiced that for years), so there's that.

In both Melee and Tekken wavedashes oftentimes complement more standard movement options. Yes, wavedashes are central in Melee since it can cancel into a lot of other options - options not possible out of normal dashing (like FreeFox FreeFox said). But the tradeoff is that the required jump / airdodge can make it unwieldy or even dangerous in close quarters. In Tekken, it's usually used as a mindgame - which translates to Smash, since:ultkazuya: can do three different attacks out of one.

While wavedashes are a thing in Ultimate too, they're nerfed to the ground compared to Melee (especially on the landing lag, but also physics changes). So it's much more rare / situational in Ultimate than in Melee.

Personally, I'm in favor of having wavedashes be a single input. While it's worth noting that Sakurai and co. allowed players to do tilts directly from a run in Ultimate - probably as a compensating factor - Ultimate really favors the air / out of shield attacks to the point where another option on the ground would be welcome. They wouldn't need to cover as much ground as Melee's either as long as the landing lag is reverted to be the same (I'd like to see it useable, although maybe not central).

EDIT: To answer your question more directly, the simplicity of execution for the wave dash doesn't get rid of its utility and freedom of movement, which is what the technique is praised for. In fact, the wave dash in Super Smash Bros. Melee is also a single input of just air dodging to the floor. The only thing that makes it difficult there is the fact that the timing is character dependent, so while Fox can make pretty good use of it, Bowser struggles to even pull it off (and IIRC pretty much goes nowhere).
While that's true, Bowser also has one of Melee's best (named) techs.

The Koopabackdashwaveslide hoverwalkmoonland. He slides backwards further than forward thanks to that.

Sure, Melee Bowser was in a really rough spot, but he wins based on the Koopabackdashwaveslide hoverwalkmoonland alone. :roll:

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
The point of a wavedash/wave land is that it's essentially a grounded option from the air since it allows you to quickly touch down on the ground in the direction you want to go into rather than fast falling and then running.
Wait is that how it works in NASB? Because you're totally right that that would give wavedashing its name back, but from the footage I saw (and I definitely might have just not been paying attention) it looked like you could only wavedash from the ground, or at least super close to the ground, no wavelanding at all. So closer to DACUS from Brawl in a way? but obviously for more than just up smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What I wanna know is why is it that when a source comes out that everyone with half an ounce of credibility (has a YT channel, runs a games news site, is a forum admin) trips over themselves to say that this person we've never heard about has always been right in the past? Every single time?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wait is that how it works in NASB? Because you're totally right that that would give wavedashing its name back, but from the footage I saw (and I definitely might have just not been paying attention) it looked like you could only wavedash from the ground, or at least super close to the ground, no wavelanding at all. So closer to DACUS from Brawl in a way? but obviously for more than just up smash.
Well wave dashing is performed pretty close to the ground, but it's still initiated in an aerial state, and thus gives you more control over how you move around semi-solid platforms. For example, if your character has a jump that's higher than the semi-solid platform, they'd have to wait about a second to land or fast fall (and risk falling through the platform) if they wanted to use a grounded attack. With wave dashing, you just zip to the platform and carryout your action.

In the movement demonstration they did show off wave landing, which near as I can tell, is just wave dashing, but from higher up (in this game, wave landing seems to not go as far which might be the tradeoff). There's also strafing, which sounds interesting though I don't know how practical its use will be.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
A Happy Birthday to the beloved Nintendo Gamecube!

Please give us a reasonable way to play its library legally Nintendo.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The only good thing of the direct not being this week is the fun of watching a certain famous fake leaker being wrong once again.
(I won't tell the name because that person does not need more visibility).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What I wanna know is why is it that when a source comes out that everyone with half an ounce of credibility (has a YT channel, runs a games news site, is a forum admin) trips over themselves to say that this person we've never heard about has always been right in the past? Every single time?
It's a mix between wanting the news to be real and having the ability to say, "See? I was right!"

There's also people who actually do know a few things coming out in the near future but have no idea when they'll officially be announced. They see someone toss a release date and small bits of additional details on top of information they already know and then assume that it's true. I'd guess this is why "Switch Pro" ended up being a recurring gag for the longest time. Both the release date and the specs of the console were consistently incorrect.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Well wave dashing is performed pretty close to the ground, but it's still initiated in an aerial state, and thus gives you more control over how you move around semi-solid platforms. For example, if your character has a jump that's higher than the semi-solid platform, they'd have to wait about a second to land or fast fall (and risk falling through the platform) if they wanted to use a grounded attack. With wave dashing, you just zip to the platform and carryout your action.

In the movement demonstration they did show off wave landing, which near as I can tell, is just wave dashing, but from higher up (in this game, wave landing seems to not go as far which might be the tradeoff). There's also strafing, which sounds interesting though I don't know how practical its use will be.
Probably the biggest use of strafe in NASB is things like doing retreating aerials that hit one side only or firing projectiles while retreating, since you can’t jump backwards in that game unlike Smash, unless you are holding strafe.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I'm still surprised they're actually acknowledging it. Then again, it's apparently considered retro now, so...
It's official
Welcome to Depression. Population: yes.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

GameCube! My favourite console along with the Super Nintendo!

I had great memories playing games like Pokemon XD, F-Zero GX, Burnout 2, Sonic Adventure DX, Geist, Simpsons Hit & Run, Eternal Darkness, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Double Dash, Paper Mario thousand year door, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros Melee and of course, TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect!

Here is my GameCube collection if anyone wants to see it.

GameCube collection.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom