• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC-gi! Waluigi for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC (Currently Assist trophy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kzinssie

Smash Rookie
I dont know how he is seen in Japan, but hopefully the Japanese people do the right thing and wears a purple cap and a stache and join the movement.
It's hard to say for sure, since Japan doesn't really have a Smashboards equivalent or anything else with clear comparisons between different fanbases, but a quick google for ワルイージ スマブラ (Waluigi SSB, notably Google's first recommendation when you search for Waluigi in Japanese) gets some pretty good results. They're clearly aware of Western demand, at least, and he seems to have a fair few Japanese supporters too.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to say for sure, since Japan doesn't really have a Smashboards equivalent or anything else with clear comparisons between different fanbases, but a quick google for ワルイージ スマブラ (Waluigi SSB, notably Google's first recommendation when you search for Waluigi in Japanese) gets some pretty good results. They're clearly aware of Western demand, at least, and he seems to have a fair few Japanese supporters too.
The Japanese people found their heart on Wario and his microgames.

The western world found their own weird guy, Waluigi. So i am glad that the Japanese people are starting to like Waluigi too, with their help, we can make Nintendo even more aware hopefully.

The sad thing is that there is only 4 DLC spots left after Joker. I seriously want Waluigi on the roster but at the same time i dont want him to take a spot from a more important character representing a game.

He should honestly be a bonus DLC character at the side of a real DLC, just make him an echo of Luigi and focus more on him in the next Smash if the time is tight.

I really really hope to see him playable on this Smash. At first i didnt care about Waluigi, but after seeing how popular he became and all those songs about him just made me like him, even if hes barely in any game.

I guess its his design. Hes a black and purple evil "twin" of Luigi. He looks like he could belong to a fighting game. And despite him being in so few games, many people love him and know who he is, its like Dragonball and their minor characters.

Are you referring to the OHKO person who did that "the Truth about Waluigi in smash video" where he trashed Waluigi saying he'll never get into smash, then lied on twitter about being sent death threats from Waluigi fans in emails and on twitter (which was proven fake cause OHKO claimed they deleted all the evidence and people couldn't find any tweets)?

Cause that situation pissed me off too, people just trying really hard to keep up this lie that Waluigi fans are "violent and crazy" or something, it's really annoying
Yes and i heard Sakurai got death threats too according to some? There might be a few crazy people but it feels like if one person does something, everyone in the group is toxic.

Even the game itself seem to be self-aware with the infinite Waluigi trophy spam. Maybe this bug made Sakurai laugh and change his mind about Waluigi. Who knows:D

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
This seems to show that a good chunk of the assist trophies already have elements that full characters have, like the air dodges, the being grabbed animations, the ko animations, air jumping, and for some like Waluigi even stamina k.o animations. Even if Waluigi isn't part of the first fighter pass, it does seem like regarding assist trophies that they have stronger chances for getting same-game upgrades to playable characters. If they ever decide they want to do another fighter pass, it could be made up entirely of characters currently assist trophies, and the development team would have a good chunk of the work already done for them.

I'd say the likely candidates would be Waluigi, Isaac, Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Zero, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and pretty much the other popular ones that people want/are the best new reps for their franchises.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
This seems to show that a good chunk of the assist trophies already have elements that full characters have, like the air dodges, the being grabbed animations, the ko animations, air jumping, and for some like Waluigi even stamina k.o animations. Even if Waluigi isn't part of the first fighter pass, it does seem like regarding assist trophies that they have stronger chances for getting same-game upgrades to playable characters. If they ever decide they want to do another fighter pass, it could be made up entirely of characters currently assist trophies, and the development team would have a good chunk of the work already done for them.

I'd say the likely candidates would be Waluigi, Isaac, Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Zero, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and pretty much the other popular ones that people want/are the best new reps for their franchises.
Yeah, its not that hard to make Waluigi a fighter or some kind of echo now that he got unique traits that he didnt have before. Crossing finger for Waluigi:(

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Waluigi's omission is odd, and so is Toad's which is another story, but been thinking that his moveset could in corporate a could of Wario transformations like Spring form for Up Special. To be honest, The racquet move could be a reflecting Side Special and his foot stomp would be down special.

I never quite got why Mario has Waluigi colors especially in Ultimate where they got rid of Fire Mario colors. I can understand Luigi having them.

Not that I've played any of the games, but why has he never appeared in the WarioWare games?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Waluigi's omission is odd, and so is Toad's which is another story, but been thinking that his moveset could in corporate a could of Wario transformations like Spring form for Up Special. To be honest, The racquet move could be a reflecting Side Special and his foot stomp would be down special.

I never quite got why Mario has Waluigi colors especially in Ultimate where they got rid of Fire Mario colors. I can understand Luigi having them.

Not that I've played any of the games, but why has he never appeared in the WarioWare games?
Waluigi hasn't appeared in any Wario games. He was created for the Sports spin-offs as Wario's partner. He wasn't created outside of being a Mario spin-off character.

So his roles are what he's always been.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I think that due to Waluigis sudden fanbase, Nintendo could at some point actually add him to the main games. Like Wario did in Super Mario 64 DS. I dont think Wario or the Mario Land series was designed by the original crew. Maybe im wrong.

Im quite shocked that Waluigis costume actually appears in Mario Odyssey. He is basically canon. Guess its because of his sudden popularity.

I seriously hope he gets added to the roster to represent Mario spin-off games with an unique playstyle. His trophy can already be attacked and grabbed and he got some more animation such as dodging, so i guess it couldnt be too hard.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I think that due to Waluigis sudden fanbase, Nintendo could at some point actually add him to the main games. Like Wario did in Super Mario 64 DS. I dont think Wario or the Mario Land series was designed by the original crew. Maybe im wrong.

Im quite shocked that Waluigis costume actually appears in Mario Odyssey. He is basically canon. Guess its because of his sudden popularity.

I seriously hope he gets added to the roster to represent Mario spin-off games with an unique playstyle. His trophy can already be attacked and grabbed and he got some more animation such as dodging, so i guess it couldnt be too hard.
That Waluigi costume in Odyssey was literally the only one i wore tbh

Anyways guys, how do you guys feel about assist trophies as a whole? I understand that it’s a fun way to represent some characters that don’t have a chance of being fighters, But at the same time with all the new animations they’ve been given this time it kind of hurts to see some of the more popular ones SO close to being a fighter. Imagine my shock when I saw Waluigi directional air dodge as I attempted to hit him the other day.

I personally believe assist trophies should be relegated to more obscure characters who could not work as a fighter. Because I doubt any Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac fan enjoys seeing their most wanted in a state like that.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That Waluigi costume in Odyssey was literally the only one i wore tbh

Anyways guys, how do you guys feel about assist trophies as a whole? I understand that it’s a fun way to represent some characters that don’t have a chance of being fighters, But at the same time with all the new animations they’ve been given this time it kind of hurts to see some of the more popular ones SO close to being a fighter. Imagine my shock when I saw Waluigi directional air dodge as I attempted to hit him the other day.

I personally believe assist trophies should be relegated to more obscure characters who could not work as a fighter. Because I doubt any Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac fan enjoys seeing their most wanted in a state like that.
I love Assist Trophies. I hate that they basically exclude characters from DLC. And I hate that they’re not ‘stepping stones to promotion’. If being an Assist Trophy is consolation for playability, then the time the next game happens you should at least be heavily considered for playable.

Assist Trophies are where the best candidates for playability lie and yet we get Piranha Plant.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I love Assist Trophies. I hate that they basically exclude characters from DLC. And I hate that they’re not ‘stepping stones to promotion’. If being an Assist Trophy is consolation for playability, then the time the next game happens you should at least be heavily considered for playable.

Assist Trophies are where the best candidates for playability lie and yet we get Piranha Plant.
I agree with you, but we aren’t sure if assists actually exclude them from being potential DLC. That whole mindset is really a fan created rule that Sakurai has yet to comment on, and its a possibility that this DLC cycle will break that rule.

If Chrom can be in Robins final smash and a fighter in the same game, something the community thought to be impossible, then anything can happen!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree with you, but we aren’t sure if assists actually exclude them from being potential DLC. That whole mindset is really a fan created rule that Sakurai has yet to comment on, and its a possibility that this DLC cycle will break that rule.

If Chrom can be in Robins final smash and a fighter in the same game, something the community thought to be impossible, then anything can happen!
I'd like to note that it's not the same situation here. Robin's Final Smash is a cutscene thing. That's the new style of Final Smashes. The game was rushed. It was just low priority for change. It's not simply a "disable this character" type thing like Toon Link was, who they had more time to change out for Alfonso. Basically, they'd have to make a new model and reanimate it. It's a matter of how much time it takes and priority. It does mean these fanrules are a load of bull, but it doesn't mean it's that simple.

Besides that, I don't believe AT's are a hard disconfirmation, just unlikely. You can easily disable them on a stage with a few lines of coding if the same playable character is about. This is a lot easier to do with outright removing stuff like Duck Hunt and Donkey Kong from the Duck Hunt and 75m stages. In fact, the Toon Link thing I brought up? That required more work than a few line of codes. He decided to actually implement this kind of rule. But it also was only for characters who could easily be removed. Toon Link? Not a major part of the stage. It's just a background piece. King Dedede in Dreamland 64? Not an important part. Easily removed. Basically, things were never that simple. It took me a while to even figure out why it wasn't really a fanrule or anything like that. It was just doing what he can based upon the stage. For Final Smashes, they mean little because they don't affect major gameplay. Things in someone's main moveset are visible all the time. FS's rarely happen.

This is why Chrom isn't a big deal, compared to ones like Toad. One is integral to a moveset. That doesn't matter for Chrom instead. As for Waluigi, he is possible, though I feel is unlikely for the first Fighter's Pass. All they have to do is make it so his AT cannot appear in the game while he's active. Of course, that doesn't get him in alone. It still requires Sakurai to want him playable and Nintendo to agree with it. Contrary to popular belief, Sakurai isn't god here. He has higher-ups he still has to listen to, never mind man 3rd party companies will outright breathe down his neck to directly influence how the character is designed. Some are nicer than others. It was noted that Square-Enix gave Sakurai tons of control and didn't give much input during development. The only thing they clearly controlled were the costumes, as they were pretty bad for Cloud.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I'd like to note that it's not the same situation here. Robin's Final Smash is a cutscene thing. That's the new style of Final Smashes. The game was rushed. It was just low priority for change. It's not simply a "disable this character" type thing like Toon Link was, who they had more time to change out for Alfonso. Basically, they'd have to make a new model and reanimate it. It's a matter of how much time it takes and priority. It does mean these fanrules are a load of bull, but it doesn't mean it's that simple.

Besides that, I don't believe AT's are a hard disconfirmation, just unlikely. You can easily disable them on a stage with a few lines of coding if the same playable character is about. This is a lot easier to do with outright removing stuff like Duck Hunt and Donkey Kong from the Duck Hunt and 75m stages. In fact, the Toon Link thing I brought up? That required more work than a few line of codes. He decided to actually implement this kind of rule. But it also was only for characters who could easily be removed. Toon Link? Not a major part of the stage. It's just a background piece. King Dedede in Dreamland 64? Not an important part. Easily removed. Basically, things were never that simple. It took me a while to even figure out why it wasn't really a fanrule or anything like that. It was just doing what he can based upon the stage. For Final Smashes, they mean little because they don't affect major gameplay. Things in someone's main moveset are visible all the time. FS's rarely happen.

This is why Chrom isn't a big deal, compared to ones like Toad. One is integral to a moveset. That doesn't matter for Chrom instead. As for Waluigi, he is possible, though I feel is unlikely for the first Fighter's Pass. All they have to do is make it so his AT cannot appear in the game while he's active. Of course, that doesn't get him in alone. It still requires Sakurai to want him playable and Nintendo to agree with it. Contrary to popular belief, Sakurai isn't god here. He has higher-ups he still has to listen to, never mind man 3rd party companies will outright breathe down his neck to directly influence how the character is designed. Some are nicer than others. It was noted that Square-Enix gave Sakurai tons of control and didn't give much input during development. The only thing they clearly controlled were the costumes, as they were pretty bad for Cloud.
Great point about the Chrom final smash bit. One of the big reasons I think Waluigi is likely is because, like you said, Sakurai has higher ups he has to listen to, and these higher ups tend to know what the fans want. DLC is different from putting a fighter in the base game, because buying DLC is absolutely optional and unless you are a completionist or a hardcore Smash fan, you won't buy DLC for a character you don't care about. I'm sure they will want a highly requested character in there, and higher ups have made it clear in interviews that they acknowledge the amount of support behind Waluigi. Also, Sakurai did tweet out the the DLC characters had been decided by Nintendo this time around, which is another good sign.

Don't get me wrong, this could easily, and I mean EASILY not happen, and I am ready for that possibility. I won't come on here and say that Sakurai is personally attacking me and that I hate this game. I just think the factors I listed bolster his chances quite a but. Fan demand got Ridley in, Nintendo higher ups got Corrin in, and I think those 2 factors combined could help Waluigi out this time around!

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Waluigi hasn't appeared in any Wario games. He was created for the Sports spin-offs as Wario's partner. He wasn't created outside of being a Mario spin-off character.

So his roles are what he's always been.
This post makes me think. Yes Waluigi was originally created to be a tennis partner to Wario. Let's look at some other Mario characters and the original purposes and what became later.

- Luigi was originally a green palette swap of Mario, essentially just a "Green Mario". He eventually got his own games in Luigi's Mansion series.
- Wario was originally an antagonist to Mario in Super Mario Land 2. Wario then rose to stardom in his own series Wario Land and the spinoff WarioWare.
- Peach has been a damsel in distress for most of her existence since 1985 though she was playable in the Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario 3D World, and did get her own game in Super Princess Peach.
- Yoshi was originally Mario's pet/companion in Super Mario World. He got his own title in Yoshi's Island and since then has become his own series.
- Toad(s) were originally Peach's retainers/bodyguards in which they are saved in each world. Toad did get playable roles in Super Mario Bros. 2, Wario's Woods, and the New Super Mario Bros. games. Then eventually got his own series as Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

If most Mario characters got needed growth and development, then so can Waluigi. He has been in 50+ games and still hasn't got a role in a main Mario or Wario Land/World title or maybe a Mario & Luigi RPG game too. Though he did get acknowledgement in Odyssey through his outfit. He is solidified as part of the main cast through all the games and merchandising. It is shown that Waluigi has lots of personality throughout the past 18 years of his existence and having main series appearance would only bolster his status even higher. A lot of us enjoy the Mario spinoff titles for what they are, but I believe what all of us want is to see Waluigi get the spotlight he deserves after so long of being pushed aside. His time will come whether it's Smash, a main series appearance, or his own game. Nintendo is listening to our passion for Waluigi and hopefully it can lead to Waluigi's big break.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This post makes me think. Yes Waluigi was originally created to be a tennis partner to Wario. Let's look at some other Mario characters and the original purposes and what became later.

- Luigi was originally a green palette swap of Mario, essentially just a "Green Mario". He eventually got his own games in Luigi's Mansion series.
- Wario was originally an antagonist to Mario in Super Mario Land 2. Wario then rose to stardom in his own series Wario Land and the spinoff WarioWare.
- Peach has been a damsel in distress for most of her existence since 1985 though she was playable in the Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario 3D World, and did get her own game in Super Princess Peach.
- Yoshi was originally Mario's pet/companion in Super Mario World. He got his own title in Yoshi's Island and since then has become his own series.
- Toad(s) were originally Peach's retainers/bodyguards in which they are saved in each world. Toad did get playable roles in Super Mario Bros. 2, Wario's Woods, and the New Super Mario Bros. games. Then eventually got his own series as Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

If most Mario characters got needed growth and development, then so can Waluigi. He has been in 50+ games and still hasn't got a role in a main Mario or Wario Land/World title or maybe a Mario & Luigi RPG game too. Though he did get acknowledgement in Odyssey through his outfit. He is solidified as part of the main cast through all the games and merchandising. It is shown that Waluigi has lots of personality throughout the past 18 years of his existence and having main series appearance would only bolster his status even higher. A lot of us enjoy the Mario spinoff titles for what they are, but I believe what all of us want is to see Waluigi get the spotlight he deserves after so long of being pushed aside. His time will come whether it's Smash, a main series appearance, or his own game. Nintendo is listening to our passion for Waluigi and hopefully it can lead to Waluigi's big break.
Waluigi was also not created by Miyamoto, so for all we know, it could be related to that. He has a lot of influence on games. While he isn't the reason for the different gameplay in Sticker Star, he did influence the removal of its Paper Mario-style charm. My guess is to not expect Waluigi in any mainline game at all for a long time. He might star in a spin-off though. He did kick things off in the DDR game's plot, if it helps. The rest of those were made for mainline games, so they had clearly more care about them. As much as I hate the idea that Waluigi isn't in any mainline games because of Miyamoto... it's probably the real case here.

Great point about the Chrom final smash bit. One of the big reasons I think Waluigi is likely is because, like you said, Sakurai has higher ups he has to listen to, and these higher ups tend to know what the fans want. DLC is different from putting a fighter in the base game, because buying DLC is absolutely optional and unless you are a completionist or a hardcore Smash fan, you won't buy DLC for a character you don't care about. I'm sure they will want a highly requested character in there, and higher ups have made it clear in interviews that they acknowledge the amount of support behind Waluigi. Also, Sakurai did tweet out the the DLC characters had been decided by Nintendo this time around, which is another good sign.

Don't get me wrong, this could easily, and I mean EASILY not happen, and I am ready for that possibility. I won't come on here and say that Sakurai is personally attacking me and that I hate this game. I just think the factors I listed bolster his chances quite a but. Fan demand got Ridley in, Nintendo higher ups got Corrin in, and I think those 2 factors combined could help Waluigi out this time around!
Well, let's be fair; we never got playable characters who had a hard and irreplacable NPC role in the same game, even with DLC. This is the second game with DLC proper(Brawl kind of had it, but it was just downloadable custom stages/working with players, not anything like patches, paid dlc, etc.) So it's still possible characters won't change their role within the same game.

In Chrom's case, he was already meant to be playable from the start. Robin's Final Smash is more likely due to the fact the game is rushed, and let's be honest, that's a lot of work to do for something that still works. It's not so much a fan-rule being broken as development being hard to do with such a harsh time limit. With everyone coming back, it means some characters just couldn't be put in the roster that he wanted to. For instance, take Dixie Kong. Maybe he was intending her to be playable as a tag team with Kiddy Kong. Which would follow the plans he had for her, just with a different tag team partner. This is a type of gameplay that takes tons of testing to do. Ice Climbers already have a similar kind of dual-gameplay testing and takes a long time, along with Pokemon Trainer. Since veterans were higher priority, she had two choices; Echo(which does not fit what he feels he wants for her) or tag team(which is impossible to do due to having an already big roster). I have no doubts he considered her, but couldn't make it work. So why this example? It shows that just because some things can be done that make sense(like replacing Chrom in the Final Smash) doesn't mean there's enough time. Besides, being in FS means you'll still have up to 8 Chroms onscreen max either way. So... with a low priority to change(because Robin's is still streamlined), it was left in. Let's say he does have a rule about trying to make NPC's and playable roles not overlap. Besides the fact we know it's not completely the case, he has made an effort to implement this. But it's very clearly known that the most important part is if they can remove the hazard/npc role or not. If they can't, they won't.

For another example, let's look at Captain Toad. If he's playable, the background piece in New Donk City will probably be removed. That's because it's a part of the stage that is just in the BG. It has a timer of when it shows up. A bit of coding, and it's gone. Now, I could be wrong, but this isn't that hard to remove in comparison to Robin's Final Smash. No new animations are needed. Or voices. Etc. Tingle is similar, as his role is pretty small on Great Bay. To remove him, you throw a new model in with a few animations. You leave the Balloon. It's not super hard to do. It also may not matter. Though to be fair, both of Tingle's official designs are very similar, so it's not like telling Toon Link and Conductor Link apart either.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Didnt some other people create Wario and the Mario Land series?

I think he went in to the Mario universe by Mario 64 DSD due to fan popularity.

So theres always hope Waluigi can get in some Mario games, hes a costume already in Odyssey, which is quite shocking. I had no clue his costume would appear in Odyssey. My jaw droped when i saw it, it was totally unexpected. I guess it got in to the game due to his sudden popularity after Smash4.

It would be a wise move for Nintendo to make Waluigi playable, that would give them tons and tons of Money off the dlc. Id pay double the DLC price just to get him in.

And they could always say that he got in as they wanted an assist trophy to appear playable after a while, and rolled a dice on it to calm everyone down.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I am so, so angry and disgusted right now. I was just watching a matpat video on the meaning behind WOL (not gonna say anything about it). And then all of the sudden I just see a Waluigi bashing thread with comments like this
90DF9E0D-88E5-4883-BBB6-BC15D74DBAD3.jpeg

And after this, a guy kindly lists a moveset for Waluigi, and proceeds to get called “toxic” and “a harraser” by 4 different people

What exactly did we do to deserve this? I don’t understand? Our crime is wanting a video game character we love in the Ultimate gaming crossover? Thats it? I get red when I see stuff like this. I don’t think any other support community goes through this much hate. There is no “meme” here. I love Waluigi, and have since I was a kid. Yet every time I open up a Smash Ultimate discussion, im greeted to this drivel.

Sorry for the rant. This is the result 6 months of pent up frustration. I just need some people to talk to about this. I’m not going to lie and be above it. Im hurt. Smash is a massive part of my life and I’ve met some of my best friends through it. To see my childhood dream get trashed for months on end has hurt me, no way around it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
T-Donor66 T-Donor66 Note that your image has uncensored swearing. Bull**** in this case. Could you please edit that out?

I agree that it doesn't make sense. Of course people legitimately wanted him. The thing is; even if people want a character due to the memes, it means they enjoy the character and still legitimately want them in. Also, Shrek barely has any requests that actually want to see him in. It's more actually saying the meme in that case. Whereas Waluigi is often wanted because of the memes that were created of him. There's a difference in what the votes meant. One wasn't a legitimate vote compared to the other.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I am so, so angry and disgusted right now. I was just watching a matpat video on the meaning behind WOL (not gonna say anything about it). And then all of the sudden I just see a Waluigi bashing thread with comments like this And after this, a guy kindly lists a moveset for Waluigi, and proceeds to get called “toxic” and “a harraser” by 4 different people

What exactly did we do to deserve this? I don’t understand? Our crime is wanting a video game character we love in the Ultimate gaming crossover? Thats it? I get red when I see stuff like this. I don’t think any other support community goes through this must hate. There is no “meme” here. I love Waluigi, ans have since I was a kid. Yet every time I open up a Smash Ultimate discussion, im greeted to this drivel.

Sorry for the rant. This is the result 6 months of pent up frustration. I just need some people to talk to about this. I’m not going to lie and be above it. Im hurt. Smash is a massive part of my life and I’ve met some of my best friends through it. To see my childhood dream get trashed for months on end has hurt me, no way around it.
I know right? I feel the detractors are among the most toxic in the Smash fandom. Constantly stating, "Waluigi is a meme character, People want him in for the memes" really brings on the facepalms to infinity. I may be wrong here, but weren't two kids responsible for sending Sakurai those 9/11 related meme and then apologized later? The detractors keep saying that certain fans sent death threats to Sakurai and I don't know how much of that is true. I feel that there is so much misinformation being spread around the Waluigi fanbase as being the most toxic and it has to stop now. I understand that every fandom has their "bad apples" including the Waluigi fanbase, but everyone here and in other places are definitely genuine Waluigi fans.

Waluigi since E3 has become the new Ridley in the Smash fanbase. When Ridley was deconfirmed back in 2014 there was backlash against his stage hazard position and of course I'm sure people called the Ridley fans toxic back then too. He was always the butt of many jokes and memes plus even more gas to the fire was added when Sakurai commented on Ridley's size. That caused the detractors to be even louder and more obnoxious. I was glad that they were silenced when Ridley was confirmed and now Waluigi is seen as the scapegoat and the butt of most jokes and insults. It's really unfortunate to see those comments everywhere. We just got to persevere through these obstacles and try not to lose our cool. We don't need to stoop down to their level. It's okay to rant and let it all out.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
T-Donor66 T-Donor66 Note that your image has uncensored swearing. Bull**** in this case. Could you please edit that out?

I agree that it doesn't make sense. Of course people legitimately wanted him. The thing is; even if people want a character due to the memes, it means they enjoy the character and still legitimately want them in. Also, Shrek barely has any requests that actually want to see him in. It's more actually saying the meme in that case. Whereas Waluigi is often wanted because of the memes that were created of him. There's a difference in what the votes meant. One wasn't a legitimate vote compared to the other.
Sorry, I censored it. I was so heated that I didn’t even catch that at first.

I know right? I feel the detractors are among the most toxic in the Smash fandom. Constantly stating, "Waluigi is a meme character, People want him in for the memes" really brings on the facepalms to infinity. I may be wrong here, but weren't two kids responsible for sending Sakurai those 9/11 related meme and then apologized later? The detractors keep saying that certain fans sent death threats to Sakurai and I don't know how much of that is true. I feel that there is so much misinformation being spread around the Waluigi fanbase as being the most toxic and it has to stop now. I understand that every fandom has their "bad apples" including the Waluigi fanbase, but everyone here and in other places are definitely genuine Waluigi fans.

Waluigi since E3 has become the new Ridley in the Smash fanbase. When Ridley was deconfirmed back in 2014 there was backlash against his stage hazard position and of course I'm sure people called the Ridley fans toxic back then too. He was always the butt of many jokes and memes plus even more gas to the fire was added when Sakurai commented on Ridley's size. That caused the detractors to be even louder and more obnoxious. I was glad that they were silenced when Ridley was confirmed and now Waluigi is seen as the scapegoat and the butt of most jokes and insults. It's really unfortunate to see those comments everywhere. We just got to persevere through these obstacles and try not to lose our cool. We don't need to stoop down to their level. It's okay to rant and let it all out.
What an absolutely perfect comparison. Before Waluigi, it was Ridley. “______will NEVER be in Smash, Sakurai hates ______, they are just a meme at this point, get over it.” You can put either Ridley or Waluigi in these blanks and it will be accurate to what the detractors said/say about both. People too bitter to enjoy the game, so they find joy in trashing on someones hopes and dreams, and ruining their reputation at the same time. I pray that one day, like the Ridley supporters, we will get our day of justice and release.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
You know, I never was really big on Waluigi back when Smash Ultimate speculation started, I was just more concerned by the fact he's never had a major appearance... and sorry, but I don't count a dancing stint back in Mario DDR. But honestly, with Piranha Plant taking the spot before him, Toad/Captain Toad, or even the third party Geno, I've warmed up to him. He's certainly got more personality than a random plant. If we could get him, and a Toad, most likely the captain, I think Mario's cast would be rounded nicely.

As for getting Waluigi more main line appearances, I don't think it should happen... at least in a Mario title. There are two places I think I'd prefer to see Waluigi more:

Wario Land: I want Wario Land to come back, and I want it to tackle the idea of multiplayer. So who'd be Wario's player 2? Who do you think? Waluigi would likely have slightly different abilities than Wario, most likely not having the shoulder bash, but having something that works similar to it to make up for that. It'd just make sense for the wacky anti-Mario duo to go on treasure hunts together.
Luigi's Mansion: Somehow less likely to happen since Luigi has King Boo as his nemesis, but I think there's a ways of making it work. Say... Waluigi, in some weird antics, accidentally frees King Boo from his prison while breaking into E. Gadd's lab hoping for a score of something valuable. At first terrified, the Boo leader coaxes Waluigi to assist him, partly due to fear, and partly due to promising him riches, as well as the chance to take out Luigi. From there, Waluigi takes an old Poltergust, and uses it to do battle with Luigi whenever he encounters him.

It'd make more sense to me for Waluigi to make major appearances in these games more than main Mario titles, aside from maybe the RPGs, and these would be a great way of getting him into a spotlight of sorts.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
To all the WALUIGIHATERS that keeps saying that WE are immature and wrong:

Let me tell you people who dont take Waluigi fans seriously ONE thing:

Backfire.

You are the main reason i actually started liking Waluigi.
I did not CARE about him first, but after you constantly mocked the fans and said that they only want him because of a joke and not because he is likeable, i started choosing the Waluigi side.

The same thing with Shrek. Shrek is not a meme to everyone. Some really love him for the cool guy he is on the movies.

If people want Waluigi, Shrek, Crash or Geno in the game, let them request or "beg" for it. Waluigi is a meme character? Are you joking? I know alot of people in all ages who actually likes him based of his lines and design.

Go on and continue on hating Waluigi and calling his fans a joke, your opinions are backfiring and more people are starting to respect Waluigi.

Last edited:

GanonKanon

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7677 1915 7484
Waluigi doesn't take the ˥!

I would love to see the sweet God that is Waluigi in this game, even if the chances are slim. Sign me up!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kind of sad that there's a bit of stigma against the Waluigi fanbase right now. Don't get me wrong, it totally makes sense with how some Waluigi supporters acted (some. Not all) but Waluigi is still a solid option all in all.

Not my favorite newcomer choice all in all. But you can still consider me a supporter for him.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Well, goodbye friends. I have finally hit my breaking point. The “Waluigi harassment” lie has broken me. I can’t hear it any longer. I cannot repeat myself and correct these ignorant people any longer. Farewell, my purple comrades. One day, we will have our moment. Not today, maybe not for years. But eventually, we will shine.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Well, goodbye friends. I have finally hit my breaking point. The “Waluigi harassment” lie has broken me. I can’t hear it any longer. I cannot repeat myself and correct these ignorant people any longer. Farewell, my purple comrades. One day, we will have our moment. Not today, maybe not for years. But eventually, we will shine.
Sorry to see you go, but hopefully you can come back some day. Good luck and stay hopeful for the future

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Alright so I think I found a way to have two Waluigi at the same time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give playable Waluigi his Mario Tennis Aces attire while the Waluigi assist keeps his standard clothing. Boom, easy differentiation.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Alright so I think I found a way to have two Waluigi at the same time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give playable Waluigi his Mario Tennis Aces attire while the Waluigi assist keeps his standard clothing. Boom, easy differentiation.
That could work, but I'd imagine people would complain about not having the classic plumber outfit, to match with Wario and the others. I think another good solution is to replace his assist trophy model with foreman spike or the robot waluigi from sports Mix or the metal mummy waluigi from aces. That way waluigi has full access to all his traditional outfits

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
That could work, but I'd imagine people would complain about not having the classic plumber outfit, to match with Wario and the others. I think another good solution is to replace his assist trophy model with foreman spike or the robot waluigi from sports Mix or the metal mummy waluigi from aces. That way waluigi has full access to all his traditional outfits
They could fiddle with the colors a bit to differentiate, but your idea is the ideal scenario.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Why not just giving Waluigi’s assist trophy the tennis outfit? He only a tennis racket in the trophy anyways.
They could do that, but having the tennis outfit in his playable form would be more ideal not just cause it's a cool outfit but considering waluigi originated from the first (true) Mario tennis I'd argue it's important as a part of his history and should be there to be playable with, like how little Mac has wire frame mac or Wario has his plumber outfit.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
They could do that, but having the tennis outfit in his playable form would be more ideal not just cause it's a cool outfit but considering waluigi originated from the first (true) Mario tennis I'd argue it's important as a part of his history and should be there to be playable with, like how little Mac has wire frame mac or Wario has his plumber outfit.
True, but this idea is way less ridiculous then not giving Waluigi his plumber outfit.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Why not just giving Waluigi’s assist trophy the tennis outfit? He only a tennis racket in the trophy anyways.
True, but this idea is way less ridiculous then not giving Waluigi his plumber outfit.
The way I see it; include the Aces outfit as the default (like how Wario has his Warioware outfit as the default to differentiate himself from the Mario Bros.), then have the standard plumber appearance with some minute color changes to differentiate from the AT like making his overalls black instead of dark~purple and overall just changing the colors to more closely resemble the color scheme of Waluigi's model in Mario Tennis, as an alternate costume.
And there's no reason for him to lose the racquet either. I'm not a voucher for Waluigi being entirely sports~based but not incorporating the racquet is ridiculous. It's his signature weapon in Smash already, for Pete's Sake!

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Come on Waluigi fans, you all can't just give up hope. If you want your purple funny man to be a fighter, stick with us. We will need all the true fans of the purple man that we can.

Forget about the whole "#JusticeForWaluigi" controversy that was overaggerated, that's all in the past and it was only two bad apples. Just please don't let that get you all down. We will be needed all the help we can get.

All Hail Shadow. #AssistAlliance.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
That thing about switching appearances would work with Zero (switch to Mega Man Zero style). and honestly, waluig fans don't deserve this. Even as a Shy Guy can I don't get hated on. But Waluig I is "toxic"? this is like smash 4 Ridley.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That thing about switching appearances would work with Zero (switch to Mega Man Zero style). and honestly, waluig fans don't deserve this. Even as a Shy Guy can I don't get hated on. But Waluig I is "toxic"? this is like smash 4 Ridley.
Remember how #JusticeForWaluigi started off?

It got so big that everyone started to hate it because of two fans that shared Hitler and 9/11 memes to Sakurai. While it was a shame, everyone blew it out of proportion and hated Waluigi ever since. The problem is that people need to NOT blame a whole fandom and only be mad at the two people that messed up. And you know what, I will share TheBeanery's video on the subject since his video brings up good points and was made to tell people that not all Waluigi fans are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom