• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Go away with this blasphemy!

It's a way better theory than DK is Cranky's grandson, which makes DK Jr. an absent father who went missing or died. I say it fits both characters right especially Cranky.
My headcanon is that arcade DK is modern DK. Cranky is his father or grandfather and DK Jr. is his son (who just hasn't had any adventures in a while).

I want Hyrule Warriors 2 to become a reality. Maybe then Impa has an actual shot for a playable role in Smash one day.

Anyway, since we talking spin offs, what is a spin off title for DK that you'd like to see that hasn't been explored yet? I loved DKR and the Climber games, but Konga can stay away. Personally, a beat em up or a RPG game would be wonderful for DK I think.
This is a tangent, but speaking of DKR, I'd love a Hot Top Volcano or Spaceport Alpha stage in Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I want Hyrule Warriors 2 to become a reality. Maybe then Impa has an actual shot for a playable role in Smash one day.

Anyway, since we talking spin offs, what is a spin off title for DK that you'd like to see that hasn't been explored yet? I loved DKR and the Climber games, but Konga can stay away. Personally, a beat em up or a RPG game would be wonderful for DK I think.
A beat-em-up is such a good idea. We need more modern quality beat-em-ups and DK is a great match. So great, in fact, that I'd be scared it would do too well and they'd stop making traditional Country games.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, Hyrule Warrior already eixsts, and it should had been the perfect proof that many Zelda characters are capable fighters, that's why Nintendo's decision to not bring them to Smash bros is clear enough. Same for ARMS and Kirby dream friends.

KRool is the strange case on the other hand. It's nice NIntendo remember him ,but it's not the newest games that remind NIntendo of his existence.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I know this is a tangent, but my biggest beef with Hyrule Warriors (besides excluding Saria and Groose) is that those hard rock remixes of classic Zelda tunes are so good, it's kind of a crime there aren't more of them. Imagine the game's take on Goron City OoT/Death Mountain TP or Gerudo Valley OoT...

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I know this is a tangent, but my biggest beef with Hyrule Warriors (besides excluding Saria and Groose) is that those hard rock remixes of classic Zelda tunes are so good, it's kind of a crime there aren't more of them. Imagine the game's take on Goron City OoT/Death Mountain TP or Gerudo Valley OoT...
It's also a shame we don't have them in Smash (Eclipse of the Sun, Silent Guardians, Skyloft, Twilight Field and Wind Waker's medley and more are all BOPS), but that and the lack Hyrule Warriors' spirits and anything makes me think Koei Tecmo shares the rights of the game's content and Nintendo didn't bother to negotiate its use.

Back to Dixie and Donkey Kong. Yesterday I 102%'d Donkey Kong Country 2 again (Because why not? It's my favorite game after all).
Oh, that true ending always makes me tear up a little, it's so perfect, so beautiful, so serene, K. Rool's laugh while he sails away. It says so much without saying anything (Then I agree with the DK Vine founders that it got George Lucas'd in the GBA version).
This game is truly special, and I still think it was Rare at its finest.

DKC2 True Ending.gif

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's also a shame we don't have them in Smash (Eclipse of the Sun, Silent Guardians, Skyloft, Twilight Field and Wind Waker's medley and more are all BOPS), but that and the lack Hyrule Warriors' spirits and anything makes me think Koei Tecmo shares the rights of the game's content and Nintendo didn't bother to negotiate its use.

Back to Dixie and Donkey Kong. Yesterday I 102%'d Donkey Kong Country 2 again (Because why not? It's my favorite game after all).
Oh, that true ending always makes me tear up a little, it's so perfect, so beautiful, so serene, K. Rool's laughs and goes away. It says so much without saying anything (Then I agree with the DK Vine founders that it got George Lucas'd in the GBA version).
This game is truly special, and I still think it was Rare at its finest.

That atmosphere there with them standing on the rock looking into the sunset and the ocean looks so much like the Smash grounds all the characters stand on when they're all together. I know this was before Smash existed, but I hope Dixie appears in Smash like this one day with the rest of the roster.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You and me both my friend.

On another note, they just announced slight recolors of Mario and Luigi for Mario Kart Tour! Oh boy, I'm so glad we get to have a 10th recolor of the same character over Dixie and Rool!

Last edited:

Amped_Form

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3498-3780-6793
You and me both my friend.

On another note, they just announced slight recolors of Mario and Luigi for Mario Kart Tour! Oh boy, I'm so glad we get to have a 10th recolor of the same character over Dixie and Rool!
From the tweet, it also baffles me. Dixie Kong could have been an easy echo fighter for Diddy Kong but like... why she's just a spirit? Dixie Kong deserves better, honestly.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
From the tweet, it also baffles me. Dixie Kong could have been an easy echo fighter for Diddy Kong but like... why she's just a spirit? Dixie Kong deserves better, honestly.
Ehh..... I actually prefer the situation we are in now than that, thank you.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dark Samus is very unique in her games and is important to the whole Prime trilogy, but she got in as a Echo instead while Dixie Kong didn't get nothing. Why is that? Well, Sakurai probably sees that Dixie Kong is too unique and would prefer to make her into a semi-clone like Isabelle or a unique fighter if he decides to ever add her to the roster. Plus he probably knows how important Dixie Kong is being the co-protagonist of DKC2 and the main protagonist of DKC3 her own game. Basically, I think he knows she is beyond Echo material and is worthy to be her own unique fighter.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Oof, DKC3 is a beefy game. I needed a break before finishing everything and get the true ending, it has so many things to collect that is almost like a collectathon in 2D, you better have your notepad ready for those last Banana Bird puzzles LMAO.
A neat detail I never noticed before is how the levels on Krematoa all get the red filter that appears in the overworld after you lift Knautilus from the water, I wonder how many people actually knew that (Because who would ever want to replay those levels after beating them?).

BirthNote BirthNote You never replied to the challenge you published on Discord (Beat the entire DK Isle on Hard Mode with solo DK) so I'm just going to post this right here:
6-1
6-1.jpg

6-2
6-2.jpg

6-3

6-4
6-4.jpg

6-5
6-5.jpg

6-6
6-6.jpg

6-7
6-7.jpg

6-8
6-8.jpg

6-A
6-A.jpg

6-B
6-B.jpg

6-K

6-Boss

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong Drawing for Women's Day a week from now.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Wave 8 of DKR!
  • Candy Kong with a new look
  • K. Rool
  • Ninja Kong with a redesign as well
  • Cat-O-9-Tails who actually had 9 tails this time
Halfway through the roster now!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know most of you guys don't like bringing Candy up because of her basically being a sex object through and through. But if they brought her back should they change her design to greatly nerf her sexiness? I think so. Candy isn't anywhere near my top 5 or even top 10 favorite Kongs, but I kind of like her and she was in the original with DK, Diddy, Cranky, Funky, and K. Rool so she should come back. We need the whole original DKC cast all back together again in a mainline game.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I know most of you guys don't like bringing Candy up because of her basically being a sex object through and through. But if they brought her back should they change her design to greatly nerf her sexiness? I think so. Candy isn't anywhere near my top 5 or even top 10 favorite Kongs, but I kind of like her and she was in the original with DK, Diddy, Cranky, Funky, and K. Rool so she should come back. We need the whole original DKC cast all back together again in a mainline game.
I think these two had the right idea.

Honestly? I always felt her, er... 'attention-grabbers' aside, Candy's DK64 design (IMO) would be the ideal middle ground for her. Maybe tone down her 'attention-grabbers' a certain amount, and she should be good.

Of course, I really hope Wrinkly returns to the mainline DK games one day as well. Say, wasn't it said somewhere that Cranky Kong became far less of a curmudgeon following her passing?
I think the main problem with Candy is really her face, she just looks like Homer Simpson lol

Look at this fanart

It's not nearly as much of an eyesore because it tones down the ape-like features of her face.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Oof, DKC3 is a beefy game. I needed a break before finishing everything and get the true ending, it has so many things to collect that is almost like a collectathon in 2D, you better have your notepad ready for those last Banana Bird puzzles LMAO.
A neat detail I never noticed before is how the levels on Krematoa all get the red filter that appears in the overworld after you lift Knautilus from the water, I wonder how many people actually knew that (Because who would ever want to replay those levels after beating them?).

BirthNote BirthNote You never replied to the challenge you published on Discord (Beat the entire DK Isle on Hard Mode with solo DK) so I'm just going to post this right here:
THATS AMAZING!!! You actually did it and EVEN BEAT FREDRIK! HUGE props to you Dukemon! Great f***ing job! THIS is going to the thread's title!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Jammin' Sam Miller (aka "that dude who restores DKC soundtracks") just posted a restoration of Dixie Beat, the title theme for DKC3:

Since this is arguably Dixie Kong's theme song, it seemed appropriate to post here.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Jammin' Sam Miller (aka "that dude who restores DKC soundtracks") just posted a restoration of Dixie Beat, the title theme for DKC3:

Since this is arguably Dixie Kong's theme song, it seemed appropriate to post here.
Listening to this bopper and being reminded of how Dixie was the star of her own game at one point just remind me...

Nintendo does NOT give this little monkey enough credit. Like, seriously.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Listening to this bopper and being reminded of how Dixie was the star of her own game at one point just remind me...

I don't get it either. Despite DKC3 being consider among many to be the weakest game in the trilogy, it sold enough units to make it into the top 10 best selling SNES games along with it's predecessors. I can't think of any video game trilogy besides DKC that has all 3 of it's games in the top 10 best selling for a console. Nintendo specifically NoJ I honestly think turns a blind eye with DKC as a whole and kind of pretends sometimes classic/arcade DK is the only DK games that exist.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

It's not surprising honestly. DK and Diddy also don't get nearly enough credit.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
THATS AMAZING!!! You actually did it and EVEN BEAT FREDRIK! HUGE props to you Dukemon! Great f***ing job! THIS is going to the thread's title!
Thank you!! I'm never doing 6-K with in hard mode with solo DK ever again.... I think I found the absolutely hardest DK level in history xD. Fredrik is actually very easy if you know how to land on his back consistenly.

I don't get it either. Despite DKC3 being consider among many to be the weakest game in the trilogy, it sold enough units to make it into the top 10 best selling SNES games along with it's predecessors. I can't think of any video game trilogy besides DKC that has all 3 of it's games in the top 10 best selling for a console. Nintendo specifically NoJ I honestly think turns a blind eye with DKC as a whole and kind of pretends sometimes classic/arcade DK is the only DK games that exist.
Sonic is up there in the Genesis / Megadrive top, but DKC managed that in the end of the console's lifetime (Even beyond that with DKC3 coming out after N64 and Super Mario 64). Which is even more impressive. I think Nintendo keeps treating DK like that nowadays because they basically killed the series with inactivity and dumb spin offs in the 2000s and now think no one cares about it (Ding dong 6.5 million for Returns, 4 million for Tropical Freeze and :ultkrool:'s ballot movement, they are wrong).

I played DKC3 a few days ago and still stand on the opinion that is better than 1. That great overworld system with NPCs and trading inventory like an RPG (Which is mostly completely optional if you only want the normal ending), makes the game very unique among its 2D platformers siblings.

"As one of the most prominent and popular characters in one of Nintendo's biggest juggernaut series (the Donkey Kong series dwarfs many of Nintendo's other big properties such as Kirby, Yoshi and Fire Emblem when it comes to sales — look it up) it's really a headscratcher how Dixie Kong has continued to be overlook for Smash Bros. inclusion. "

"You can't make the argument that she lacks the potential for a fun moveset either since she engages foes mainly using her prized ponytail and there's no other fighter in all of Smash who battles using their own hair. "

"Since Nintendo has been increasingly paying their dues to the Donkey Kong series, a historically quite neglected franchise in Super Smash Bros., it seems like Dixie might have a very real shot to be added this time around. I know that not just me, but numerous fans all across the world are waiting with bated breath. "

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"As one of the most prominent and popular characters in one of Nintendo's biggest juggernaut series (the Donkey Kong series dwarfs many of Nintendo's other big properties such as Kirby, Yoshi and Fire Emblem when it comes to sales — look it up) it's really a headscratcher how Dixie Kong has continued to be overlook for Smash Bros. inclusion. "

"You can't make the argument that she lacks the potential for a fun moveset either since she engages foes mainly using her prized ponytail and there's no other fighter in all of Smash who battles using their own hair. "

"Since Nintendo has been increasingly paying their dues to the Donkey Kong series, a historically quite neglected franchise in Super Smash Bros., it seems like Dixie might have a very real shot to be added this time around. I know that not just me, but numerous fans all across the world are waiting with bated breath. "

I wish you were right man, but I don't think Ultimate will be Dixie's time. I don't think Nintendo and Sakurai see her as a priority right now.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly I just think the problem with DKC and its characters is that they just aren't really apart of Nintendo's "cultural DNA", in the same way the likes of Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon are.

They did originally make DK the character, but Donkey Kong Country as we know it today was originally just something Rare made, but they're gone now. So naturally Nintendo doesn't really know what to do with the IP. They gave it to Retro for awhile but now they're off doing Prime 4 after their unannounced project seemingly went nowhere.

Honestly, I think fans of series like Kirby and Fire Emblem should be grateful that those IPs have entire dedicated developers backing them up, just as DK did with Rare during the 90s. If Intelligent Systems and HAL Labs just suddenly disappeared over night, Kirby and FE would be suffering the same problems DK does now.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Comments are even better. This one is my spirit animal.

"It's down right shocking to see Dixie still isn't in the roster. Her solo game DKC3 sold 1 million copies the first month of release. Something a lot of female leads weren't able to do at the time (Tomb Raider and Metroid did) It's heart breaking to find out Dixie almost made it into Brawl as a tag team with Diddy. To think I've waited 20 years for this icon to get in smash is traumatizing. Btw the DKC series on SNES is still the best games I ever played.

Honarable mentions for Waluigi, Sora, Toad, and Shantae. They are extremely, heavily requested. I think this pass will feature all 3rd party characters (C'mon Chun-Li ♥) Dixie final smash could be the Banana Bird Queen. Put some respect on Dixie Kongs name insert Birdman meme "

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thank you!! I'm never doing 6-K with in hard mode with solo DK ever again.... I think I found the absolutely hardest DK level in history xD. Fredrik is actually very easy if you know how to land on his back consistenly.
Bro I got a wiimote off Amazon and tried 6-K again last Friday.... Literally lost all 99 of my balloons and then some. Furthest I got to was that final slide, and that level's a nightmare. Every platform is basically an obstacle because of the ice physics; we basically gotta run through a gauntlet with Luigi's traction and DKC weightiness on a stage that's constantly shifting and swaying. Without any powerups. God damn you made it look so easy, but I don't blame you for never wanting to solo it with DK again. Cranky makes it look like a joke, but this stage is DK's kryptonite.

I never really had a way to record me beating Fredrik so I left him out of the challenge, but since you've proven it's possible, especially for Switch users you get EXTRA props man. You killed it Dukemon, can't stress it enough well done. If you wanna do a victory lap I recommend Irate Eight on Hard Mode with Diddy. It's easier for sure, but it's a matter of restraint too thanks to his jets lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly I just think the problem with DKC and its characters is that they just aren't really apart of Nintendo's "cultural DNA", in the same way the likes of Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon are.

They did originally make DK the character, but Donkey Kong Country as we know it today was originally just something Rare made, but they're gone now. So naturally Nintendo doesn't really know what to do with the IP. They gave it to Retro for awhile but now they're off doing Prime 4 after their unannounced project seemingly went nowhere.

Honestly, I think fans of series like Kirby and Fire Emblem should be grateful that those IPs have entire dedicated developers backing them up, just as DK did with Rare during the 90s. If Intelligent Systems and HAL Labs just suddenly disappeared over night, Kirby and FE would be suffering the same problems DK does now.
If they didn't know what to do with the franchise, Returns and Tropical Freeze would've never happened. Neither would DK and Diddy crossover so frequently with Mario through cameo games.

They know the characters are beloved and marketable, but just.. refuse to make DK a major franchise as it should be.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If they didn't know what to do with the franchise, Returns and Tropical Freeze would've never happened.
Hence

They gave it to Retro for awhile but now they're off doing Prime 4 after their unannounced project seemingly went nowhere.
They definitely didn't know what they were doing with it during the GCN era where Rare was gone, hence all the oddball peg climbing/bongo games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah untill Return came about, they didn't quite know what to do. PAON did however. I ****ing adore the climber games. And at least Jungle Climber should be appreciated here. It's up till date still the last villain role of King K.Rool and the Kremlinga for example.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Yeah untill Return came about, they didn't quite know what to do. PAON did however. I ****ing adore the climber games. And at least Jungle Climber should be appreciated here. It's up till date still the last villain role of King K.Rool and the Kremlinga for example.
I wonder why PAON never gave a shot to a normal 2D platfomer and just conformed with spin offs, GBA and DS were perfect to that. They sure had the right ideas and knew people wanted a normal DK platformer. Maybe I should try Jungle Climber, I didn't like King of Swing, but I heard the sequel improved a lot.

Bro I got a wiimote off Amazon and tried 6-K again last Friday.... Literally lost all 99 of my balloons and then some. Furthest I got to was that final slide, and that level's a nightmare. Every platform is basically an obstacle because of the ice physics; we basically gotta run through a gauntlet with Luigi's traction and DKC weightiness on a stage that's constantly shifting and swaying. Without any powerups. God damn you made it look so easy, but I don't blame you for never wanting to solo it with DK again. Cranky makes it look like a joke, but this stage is DK's kryptonite.

I never really had a way to record me beating Fredrik so I left him out of the challenge, but since you've proven it's possible, especially for Switch users you get EXTRA props man. You killed it Dukemon, can't stress it enough well done. If you wanna do a victory lap I recommend Irate Eight on Hard Mode with Diddy. It's easier for sure, but it's a matter of restraint too thanks to his jets lol.
It's funny how Hard Mode 6-K still took me less tries than the 30 minutes-long monstrosity the ex-DKC devs made as the final level of their new game xD (Someday I will beat that thing without bees).

You can prove that you beat Fredrik on Hard Mode by just taking a picture of the results screen with his face. Since normal mode triggers the ending cutscene and time attack shows the medal. The only time you ever see Fredrik with a punch count results screen is in hard mode.

About Irate Eight:
I used Diddy to beat Irate Eight's hard mode on Wii U. This time I got it First Try!!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
You can prove that you beat Fredrik on Hard Mode by just taking a picture of the results screen with his face. Since normal mode triggers the ending cutscene and time attack shows the medal. The only time you ever see Fredrik with a punch count results screen is in hard mode.

About Irate Eight:
I used Diddy to beat Irate Eight's hard mode on Wii U. This time I got it First Try!!
Good to know. Before last Friday, I haven't played Tropical Freeze in a year and a half so I forgot some things about it, but now I just beat Fredrik again and I'm jumping back into Slippy Spikes. I'll have proof up soon.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I feel like if Nintendo really wanted to, they could have an in-house studio studying the Donkey Kong Country series and try to really understand what makes it tick and what exactly its fans love about it, and try their hand at making a game with that knowledge. It's an undertaking for sure, but in the last few years they've taken a lot more risks with their properties, making new IPs and trusting their old ones with new blood. If it ever seemed plausible, now would be the time.

Not to say that it's necessarily any better or easier than giving it to a separate developer. Just musing, I guess.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
On another note, they just announced slight recolors of Mario and Luigi for Mario Kart Tour!
Why did they make retro Mario's hat and overalls orange instead of red?! I'd rock that outfit all the time in Mario Odyssey if it weren't for that!

I'd rather have Dixie than not have Dixie, personally. If Chrom and Ken can be echoes, I've no doubt Dixie could be an echo and still retain her classic moves and personality.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'd rather have Dixie than not have Dixie, personally. If Chrom and Ken can be echoes, I've no doubt Dixie could be an echo and still retain her classic moves and personality.
Yeah.... with Smash Ultimate being the best selling fighting game of all time. There's really no guarantee we'll ever get an install base this large again, especially since they most likely won't be able to bring back all the characters. I'll take Chrom-ified or Ken-ified echo Dixie over no Dixie anyday, just so she can get the exposure she deserves to 15 million people, over waiting for a future game that is uncertain to even have her in anyways or reach the same success. If there is no new DKC game to promote in the near future, than that is her best shot.

Plus he probably knows how important Dixie Kong is being the co-protagonist of DKC2 and the main protagonist of DKC3 her own game.
If he knew how important she was, he would have added her already, especially given the finality nature of Ultimate and how it feels like the magnum opus of the series. The fact that it's taken this long suggests he doesn't view her as very important, heartbreaking as it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom