• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Nah not really. It's catchy, but it doesn't sound like I heard it before. More like it fits the era but not something I remember from the SNES
It doesn't sound SNES-era. It sounds like something out of the GBA DKC games or DKR DS. Could possibly be from Jungle Climber or King of Swing.

Gunned

Smash Rookie
It doesn't sound SNES-era. It sounds like something out of the GBA DKC games or DKR DS. Could possibly be from Jungle Climber or King of Swing.

I remembered hearing this before, pretty sure it's this.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hi there, i've never used smashboards before but i am a big fan of the donkey kong series even though i have been unable to play the older titles much.
I really want Dixie Kong as a playable fighter in smash ultimate. (and i hope Sakurai gives her her kneepads back..)
Welcome to the Barrel! Also, thank you for liking the OP. You single-handedly brought back all the likes on the first post!

I hooe you enjoy the site as well. As a brand new member there's tons of stuff to get into, so I hope you have a good time here.

EDIT: I recommend against double-posting though. Editing your posts will help tremendously

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'm glad Rare knew what kind of 3D models would look good to translate to sprites.
Because that boss in the video or some creatures from Super Mario RPG look like they are straight from Stop-Motion animation nightmares.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I can't tell if this is a pun on not canon or if you spelled Ikana Valley wrong. But yeah, I agree with you.
Yknow what, I never played Majora's Mask, so I googled Ikana Valley and the creepiness fits LOL.

I was going by the phenomenon that when something tries to look too realistic for its setting, it's off-putting in all the wrong ways. Like that fetus in Courage the Cowardly Dog:

Some works use it to enhance creepiness while others don't get so lucky.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

I am having trouble embedding tweets from my phone so I apologise for the inconvenience.

In the tweets below, Hyle claims Retro had already moved on from DK by the time they were put in charge of MP4.

That... kinda sucks, doesn't it? Did people really scare them away after the **** show that was the initial Tropical Freeze reveal? Or did they simply got bored with the IP? No matter the reasoning, it's a shame Retro won't be working on a new DK at least for a long time.
I can believe it honestly. If Retro was planning on making a new DK game after TF we would've gotten it by now. Retro took 3 years to develop TF after Returns released. By that same timeframe we should've gotten a new DK game in the Switch's launch year but we didnt. I also highly doubt if they were working on a new DKC it would have gotten cancelled considering how critically acclaimed both titles were and how they had the engine developed.

Also if they really are over the DK IP I wouldn't be surprised as that would explain why the Tropical Freeze Switch port felt so slap-dashed/lacking new content compared to other Wii U ports. It would also explain why Retro was so eager to go to Nintendo to develop Prime 4.

I also wouldn't doubt if all the negative intial feedback TF received from the Metroid fanbase (Why you making a 2nd DK game instead of a 4th Metroid game!?) and the Nintendo fanbase (Retro is working on another 2D platformer!? Seems like a waste of their talents!) Hell even the negative reaction from the Rare DK fanbase upset and complaining about the lack of Kremlings, Animal Buddies, and varied bonus rooms as a whole deterred them from wanting to work on the franchise. As well as the embarrassment of the infamous Cranky at the VGX thing as well as Tropical Freeze's lower sales than Returns even with both Wii U and Switch sales combined. I wouldn't be surprised if Retro wanted to do something new and different which is probably what happened and it got cancelled which would explain the 6 year silence, only unironically go do something old and proven again ( Prime 4).

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Really hope Donkey Kong returns to Retro Studios someday after Metroid Prime 4.

It's kind of sad how little Nintendo invest in western studios these days as "Retro Studios" is the only major one they own and while their output has been amazing, They been having trouble in recent years with steady production.

- "Next Level Games" who is 2nd Party and are known for Mario strikers and Luigi Mansion series.

- "Monster Games" awhile back worked on the "Excite' franchise and 3DS ports, But have been really only doing Nascar since.

And that's pretty much it, I'm not asking for Nintendo to go on a spending spree like Microsoft recently and acquire every studio left and right, But their lineup of studios (Mainly western) absolutely pales in comparison to Microsoft and Sony, Hell both of them also have a major precense in Europe, Especially in the UK and Nintendo pretty much bailed out of there ever since they cut their ties with Rare and Argonaut software, Would have been nice to have some of their past western partners be under the Nintendo umbrella today, But sadly that's not the case.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The telling sign about a new DK game would be who specifically is working on it. Nintendo development studios have done some tremendous projects, but few of their Donkey Kong games in the last 25 years ever got close to the depth that Western studios managed with the Country titles. Outside the more consistent successes of puzzle platformers in DK 94 & Mario vs DK (which are solid but not terribly significant) their work with the series has been notable for the same issue that's hit many other Nintendo IP's: an excess in gimmicks.

Donkey Konga with the bongo controllers, Jungle Beat with the same (and later the Wiimote & nunchuk), even King of Swing/Jungle Climber with the pegboard gameplay. They all have their charms, but there's a reason the nostalgia for them is nowhere near what the SNES trilogy (or even DK64) have. To a great degree, they felt like the games we should have been getting between major mainline releases and not the main thrust of the franchise's output. Its hard to say if there was an actual long term direction for the IP at this point, because if it was an earnest attempt to repackage Donkey Kong, then it didn't really take, especially given that many of these titles were getting outsold by decade old ports of the DKC trilogy on the GBA.

And that leads us to now where we may potentially have Nintendo themselves creating a new game. If that's indeed the case, the critical element will be if its a DK title that gets new depths and dimensions through innovation in its core design, or if the big N deems it necessary to refresh the series via some new control scheme or unusual central concept. The former can definitely be done as Yooka Laylee & the Impossbile Lair managed to partially reinvent the 2D platformer via its overworld exploration and reward/handicap quill system. However if its the latter, than the same experimental overhaul that unfortunately defined Star Fox Zero could just as easily happen to Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've been playing DKC2 on the Wii U (while I've beaten it before, I wanted to play through it before I went on to DKC3), and unsurprisingly, it still holds up - I've played through the first two areas so far. I just plan to beat it; I'm not going to try getting all of the DK Coins or beating the Lost World levels.

I probably should play Tropical Freeze as well, but it might be a bit much to play through three Donkey Kong Country games back-to-back. (I'll probably take a break after DKC2 and come back to DKC3 later - there's a few games that I want to get through for my backlog, like Yakuza 0, Mario 64, or Ninja Gaiden 3)

Has anyone else been replaying DKC2? (I assume most people would be playing it on the Switch) Is anyone playing it for the first time?

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I've been playing DKC2 on the Wii U (while I've beaten it before, I wanted to play through it before I went on to DKC3), and unsurprisingly, it still holds up - I've played through the first two areas so far. I just plan to beat it; I'm not going to try getting all of the DK Coins or beating the Lost World levels.

I probably should play Tropical Freeze as well, but it might be a bit much to play through three Donkey Kong Country games back-to-back. (I'll probably take a break after DKC2 and come back to DKC3 later - there's a few games that I want to get through for my backlog, like Yakuza 0, Mario 64, or Ninja Gaiden 3)

Has anyone else been replaying DKC2? (I assume most people would be playing it on the Switch) Is anyone playing it for the first time?
I actually never played it. So far, my DK experience is : Donkey Kong Country, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. I bought a Super NES cartridge of DK Country 2 some years ago, but I didn't have the time to play it yet. Probably won't be long since everybody's talking about it now!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Hi there, i've never used smashboards before but i am a big fan of the donkey kong series even though i have been unable to play the older titles much.
I really want Dixie Kong as a playable fighter in smash ultimate. (and i hope Sakurai gives her her kneepads back..)
Welcome! Here's to hoping for our gal Dixie!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Seems like many people here haven't played DKC2 yet.
Good thing that Nintendo made it available for Switch and the DKC games are not too long, DKC2 is beatable in one sitting. And getting 102% with a guide is probably two sessions, becomes only one when you know the placement of everything.
The save states and the rewind feature can make some frustrating parts less annoying for less patient people, but I think DKC2's difficulty is extremely overblown. As long as you know you can Jump out of a Roll, how to hover with Dixie, the Tag Team throw exists (Use it!!), and Squawks can fly way faster if you hold Y and Up (And brambles don't hurt you from below when you are riding with Kongs). The game is not unbelievably hard like most people make it sound.
Same story with Tropical Freeze, I actually thought that was the easiest DKC when it was being called "Super hard" by people.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You know its funny, I've played both Tropical Freeze and Yooka Laylee & the Impossible Lair and in their own way, both are the successors to the SNES trilogy. The former really emphasizes the spectacle and distinct energy of its level design, while the latter builds upon the overworld gameplay, unlockable bonus content with tonics, and more non-linear approach to progress. Different emphases, but definitely trying to build on what the 90s games had created. And yet, there's been another game/s that in an odd way also feels like a follow up to it, and its Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps.

It doesn't seem like it at first. After all, Ori emphasizes the Metroidvania like design, various unlockeable abilities, and a story more serious than anything the DK games ever tried. And yet the more somber/melancholy aesthetics, the tight and focused platforming sections, and subtle storytelling by the different settings takes me back to something like DKC2 and even parts of DKC3. Like TF and TIL, it reminds me why I still adore 2D platformers so much, and why there's still so much that can be done with them via the right people.

While I'd love Retro to do another DKC title and Playtonic could obviously work their magic if they were handed the reigns, as unlikely as it is, I think Moon Studios getting a crack at making their own Donkey Kong Country game would be incredible.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
You know its funny, I've played both Tropical Freeze and Yooka Laylee & the Impossible Lair and in their own way, both are the successors to the SNES trilogy. The former really emphasizes the spectacle and distinct energy of its level design, while the latter builds upon the overworld gameplay, unlockable bonus content with tonics, and more non-linear approach to progress. Different emphases, but definitely trying to build on what the 90s games had created. And yet, there's been another game/s that in an odd way also feels like a follow up to it, and its Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps.

It doesn't seem like it at first. After all, Ori emphasizes the Metroidvania like design, various unlockeable abilities, and a story more serious than anything the DK games ever tried. And yet the more somber/melancholy aesthetics, the tight and focused platforming sections, and subtle storytelling by the different settings takes me back to something like DKC2 and even parts of DKC3. Like TF and TIL, it reminds me why I still adore 2D platformers so much, and why there's still so much that can be done with them via the right people.

While I'd love Retro to do another DKC title and Playtonic could obviously work their magic if they were handed the reigns, as unlikely as it is, I think Moon Studios getting a crack at making their own Donkey Kong Country game would be incredible.
I haven't played an Ori game yet. But the constant comparisons to Metroid and now DK makes me want to try it so bad (Maybe after I finish Bug Fables).
Is the mobility similar to DKC? (Like the Roll-Jump bread and butter?).
New Super Mario Bros. made people think 2D games always have to be bland and boring, being simple to make and lacking depth.
You know, they can look incredibly well when the devs actually put effort, I like to counter that way of thinking using this (Taking two screenshots from Jon's twitter).

Tropical Freeze and The Impossible Lair kinda feel like DKC2 and DKC3 respectively. The first one is more straigthforward and has stellar level design, music, and secrets related to only completing the levels. The Impossible Lair focuses on making a more lively overworld and you can find progress in a more non-linear way. I know DKC3 wasn't that non-linear, but worlds 3 and 4 were interchargeable and you need to explore the overworld much more to do the Banana Bird quest, it's something. The Impossible Lair doesn't have too many levels or themes, but tries to make up for it with crazy ideas to make the experience fresh (Also, the final level is a castle, funny coincidence).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd say Ori's movement feels closer to an evolution of the mid-air movements and wall climbing of Celeste, but very often it does match one of the most critical factors of the DKC games: flow. Much like when you know a particular DK level so well that your progress through feels like one big organic movement, some of the best moments of Ori have the same feel of making your way through a section with each action leading into the next. In fact, Ori eventually develops the bash ability, allowing the player to use enemy projectiles & certain objects as a base to launch onto any direction; essentially turning hazards into a personalized blast barrel.

As I said, there's a lot of contrasts between the two, and I'll fully confess I might be seeing similarities due to my love for both series. However I do think that the platforming elements of Ori feel like they owe something more to the DKC method than a Mario or even certain other Metroidvamias.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I haven't played an Ori game yet. But the constant comparisons to Metroid and now DK makes me want to try it so bad (Maybe after I finish Bug Fables).
Is the mobility similar to DKC? (Like the Roll-Jump bread and butter?).
New Super Mario Bros. made people think 2D games always have to be bland and boring, being simple to make and lacking depth.
You know, they can look incredibly well when the devs actually put effort, I like to counter that way of thinking using this (Taking two screenshots from Jon's twitter).

Tropical Freeze and The Impossible Lair kinda feel like DKC2 and DKC3 respectively. The first one is more straigthforward and has stellar level design, music, and secrets related to only completing the levels. The Impossible Lair focuses on making a more lively overworld and you can find progress in a more non-linear way. I know DKC3 wasn't that non-linear, but worlds 3 and 4 were interchargeable and you need to explore the overworld much more to do the Banana Bird quest, it's something. The Impossible Lair doesn't have too many levels or themes, but tries to make up for it with crazy ideas to make the experience fresh (Also, the final level is a castle, funny coincidence).
Ori gets more nimble as the game progresses. You start off basic as Hell, but 2/3s of the way in he's very skilled in the air as you can avoid the ground for a good while. Plus, shooting at Ori becomes the dumbest thing an enemy can do against him. A barrage of projectiles aimed at him becomes a nightmare for everyone but him. I gotta draw up a moveset for him one day.

Dixie for Smash!

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I have "Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair" ,But have yet to play it because I have yet to play the 1st "Yooka-Laylee" because I plan on buying the physical version sometime in October or November.

I know it's not required to play the 1st game, But I heavily prefer playing games in proper order and while it's been on sale numerous times digitally, I have always preferred buying physical, The only downside is that it cost much more and never really goes on sale.

Really looking forward to playing both as I'm a huge fan of both Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country and pretty much most things Rare, I know the 1st Yooka-Laylee has somewhat of a mix reception and isn't as good Banjo-Kazooie, But chances are I'm still bound to like it as I like all of Rare's past 3D platformers and the good news is that I have heard nothing ,But good things from "Impossible Lair" as it has drawn many comparisons to both Rare's DKC and Retro's take on it as well (Especially Tropical Freeze) which I would probably consider to be the best 2D platformer ever.

Been meaning to play both for about the past year and I'm sick of putting them off for so long (Because of work and shuffling games in backlog) So really gonna make an effort to play both this upcoming holiday.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As someone who's played both games YL games, the worst thing I can say about the first one is that its huge levels don't always work for the effective execution of its core mechanics. Its a title that feels at times more of a successor to the kind of vast stages featured in Tooie rather than the more focused settings of Kazooie. Its still fun, it just falls prey at points to the notion that bigger is better with scope which isn't always the case.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm sure Impossible Lair is a great game, but the presentation doesn't quite scratch the same itch that the SNES DKCs do, and I think a lot of it has to do with the overall visual style. The Yooka-Laylee games look great in their own way, but part of why I love DKC2 so much is the more muted, earthy level environments that still have just the right amount of vibrancy. The game has a certain moodyness to it that I felt like, even as good as Tropical Freeze was, couldn't really capture in the same way.

A game like Ori feels like it would be better-suited for that kind of experience. Everything I see about the game reminds of that sort of wistful melancholy feeling I get from DKC2's forest levels.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah, that's why I think the DKC legacy has essentially been divided into the aforementioned games; no one title has quite gotten the same mix of incredible platforming, interesting level tropes, and atmosphere. Thankfully the above games are all very enjoyable with what the excel at.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seems like many people here haven't played DKC2 yet.
Good thing that Nintendo made it available for Switch and the DKC games are not too long, DKC2 is beatable in one sitting. And getting 102% with a guide is probably two sessions, becomes only one when you know the placement of everything.
The save states and the rewind feature can make some frustrating parts less annoying for less patient people, but I think DKC2's difficulty is extremely overblown. As long as you know you can Jump out of a Roll, how to hover with Dixie, the Tag Team throw exists (Use it!!), and Squawks can fly way faster if you hold Y and Up (And brambles don't hurt you from below when you are riding with Kongs). The game is not unbelievably hard like most people make it sound.
Same story with Tropical Freeze, I actually thought that was the easiest DKC when it was being called "Super hard" by people.
Yo this! Dixie alone makes this game tons easier than the original DKC, which I felt had way harder platformer parts than DKC2. Especially the barrel blast level in the snow.

Am sorry, this is the Dixie thread, but still I can't play as her in DKC2 too much, because I feel she makes the game too easy. DKC3 is better designed around her. And I feel Diddy's speed makes the pacing of DKC2 better. Just can't help playing as Diddy always. Same with DKC1, however I did find some millage out of using Donkey Kong himself in the original game for his strength in taking out stronger enemies. I noticed DK and Dixie seem to run at similar speeds, so that could translate to Smash as well.

I hope they could find some way to balance out the team play in any upcoming DKC platforming game. I prefer the way Rare did it in the SNES games, for the Kongs are more their own character, and less a mere power up for DK to use, and extra health.

And no I also really doubt that Retro Studios is gonna touch DKC again... soon. Prime 4 is probably taking all their time now, but after that who knows. Tropical Freeze was amazing, but it's a shame it never got as successful as Returns despite being a better game overall.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Yo this! Dixie alone makes this game tons easier than the original DKC, which I felt had way harder platformer parts than DKC2. Especially the barrel blast level in the snow.
It's so tempting to always take the shorcut there.

Am sorry, this is the Dixie thread, but still I can't play as her in DKC2 too much, because I feel she makes the game too easy. DKC3 is better designed around her. And I feel Diddy's speed makes the pacing of DKC2 better. Just can't help playing as Diddy always. Same with DKC1, however I did find some millage out of using Donkey Kong himself in the original game for his strength in taking out stronger enemies. I noticed DK and Dixie seem to run at similar speeds, so that could translate to Smash as well.
I kind of disagree with this. DKC2 is designed in a way that Dixie can make the game safer for a newcomer, but once you master the movement, Diddy becomes the go-go for speed and momentum, but playing as Dixie does not make the game free, only slower. Dixie's Ponytail won't save you from all the bees and aerial enemies that later levels put on to avoid cheesing, the Rollercoasters, the Animal Buddies or many vertical and water levels also exist where the ponytail becomes irrelevant. Not to mention Dixie is actually the optimal choice for bosses thanks to the way she grabs barrels as a shield and how she can avoid attacks more easily (Except K. Rool at the end, Dixie can't outrun the succ cannon if he appears too close).

I think DKC2 is the more balanced game in the series. One character might seem the more attractive option but if you analyze it and watch speedruns, both are used almost equally.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's so tempting to always take the shorcut there.

I kind of disagree with this. DKC2 is designed in a way that Dixie can make the game safer for a newcomer, but once you master the movement, Diddy becomes the go-go for speed and momentum, but playing as Dixie does not make the game free, only slower. Dixie's Ponytail won't save you from all the bees and aerial enemies that later levels put on to avoid cheesing, the Rollercoasters, the Animal Buddies or many vertical and water levels also exist where the ponytail becomes irrelevant. Not to mention Dixie is actually the optimal choice for bosses thanks to the way she grabs barrels as a shield and how she can avoid attacks more easily (Except K. Rool at the end, Dixie can't outrun the succ cannon if he appears too close).

I think DKC2 is the more balanced game in the series. One character might seem the more attractive option but if you analyze it and watch speedruns, both are used almost equally.
Those are great points ! However I feel that Diddy's way of holding barrels is also good for certain boss fights, especially the first one, Krow. I also always fought K.Rool with Diddy. I think a lot has to do with habits however. Diddy does seem to climb much faster too.

I also think DKC2 is the most balanced. Diddy is clearly more useful in DKC1, and Dixie more in DKC3, but in DKC2 it's way more equal. I am of the opinion that most space covered by the Helicopter Spin can also be done with a roll jump by Diddy honestly. I haven't encountered a bonus room yet I couldn't reach as Diddy.

Anyway, DKC2 is still my favourite game ever.

Top Bottom