• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I wish the 3D platforming genre never died off as bad as it did and it stayed alive to boom success alongside the FPS genre. Yes, we are seeing a renaissance right now, but I wish it stayed alive without life support throughout the years.
Oh, what could have been had Rare never left Nintendo... Banjo-Threeie, DK games that weren't kinda weird and were proper platformers, maybe another Conker, maybe a platformer starring Timbur since I always got the vibe that the Diddy Kong Racing characters were meant to be in more things later on down the line... Donkey Kong Racing which wouldn't have been a platformer but I'd be remiss not to mention it... and who knows what other new IPs could have been developed. Platformers might have become a Nintendo-only thing for the most part, but that would have been better than just Mario and finally DK in the latter half of the platformer dark age.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh, what could have been had Rare never left Nintendo... Banjo-Threeie, DK games that weren't kinda weird and were proper platformers, maybe another Conker, maybe a platformer starring Timbur since I always got the vibe that the Diddy Kong Racing characters were meant to be in more things later on down the line... Donkey Kong Racing which wouldn't have been a platformer but I'd be remiss not to mention it... and who knows what other new IPs could have been developed. Platformers might have become a Nintendo-only thing for the most part, but that would have been better than just Mario and finally DK in the latter half of the platformer dark age.
I wish we were living in this timeline too. Rare had a sequel planned for both Conker's Bad Fur Day and DK64 on the Gamecube. The Conker sequel being called Conker's Other Bad Fur Day and the DK64 sequel not being named but was said to be twice as big and have twice the amount of collectables the original had. Chris Seavor said that COBFD was suppose to start off with Conker getting arrested and thrown into prison for using too much of the kingdom's money on alcohol and was suppose to be put on trial to death. Plus we were going to get a robot Great Mighty Poo in space along with cyborg Berri and a lot of other cool ideas I forgot about.

Here is the list on the wiki:

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
Hey if you know Spanish maybe you want to watch this video dedicated to DKC2

Laniv

Smash Lord
Had a strange Smash-related dream last night.

In the dream, Tails from Sonic was announced as the next DLC character. However, when he was available for download, dataminers discovered that he used Dixie Kong as a base. At that point, Samurai revealed on Twitter that Dixie Kong was in the base game of Ultimate all along, but nobody had unlocked her yet. It then became a mad dash for everyone to unlock Dixie in Smash. It was like Luigi in Mario 64, except she was real.

I just thought this was interesting.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Had a strange Smash-related dream last night.

In the dream, Tails from Sonic was announced as the next DLC character. However, when he was available for download, dataminers discovered that he used Dixie Kong as a base. At that point, Samurai revealed on Twitter that Dixie Kong was in the base game of Ultimate all along, but nobody had unlocked her yet. It then became a mad dash for everyone to unlock Dixie in Smash. It was like Luigi in Mario 64, except she was real.

I just thought this was interesting.
Dix is real 2021.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Finally back with some more Donkey Kong Racing updates. This time to the Retro Crew! Everyone besides Tiki Tong, Bashmaster and Kowalee got new drawings. Some of the Snowmads decided to wear other artic apparel (Lemmington probably got his from the Ice Climbers).

And a comparison shot between the old and the new.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Wow! I really like the new outfits! Especially Walnut and the Tuck. For some reason the new Walnut specifically speaks to me. The furry hat thing and overalls without a shirt -- that's fashion.

Also the new Skowl looks really cool. Like he got a nice haircut -- feathercut???

I'll post it a day after tomorrow! Going to post DKC2 related stuff tomorrow I think for the NSO release.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Last time I replayed DKC2 was when it hit Wii U VC but I didnt finish it. Got stuck on a level in Krazy Kremland. The odd thing is when I was younger when it hit Wii VC back in the day (1st time playing it) I dont remember having as much trouble. Look forward to beating it again tomorrow on Switch online for the 2nd time.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how I got through this game when I was younger but I remember getting so many game overs trying to get through Kremland and the honey levels! And then every other stage! This game was hard! But then you get better and everything falls into place!

Just started playing again. Everything feels perfect! I'm home. haha

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Steve Mayles drew a special fresh Dixie Kong drawing for celebrating the occasion!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Hey if you know Spanish maybe you want to watch this video dedicated to DKC2

I will translate for everyone here that doesn't speak Spanish:

1.- Wrinkly's Book in her render has words and says "Diddy's Kong Quest is the Best Game in the World" and the other page is a recipe for Granny's Worm Pie.

2.- All the jabs in DKC2 to Earthworm Jim (His gun in No Hopers or the game choices like "An ugly earthworm") was because the EJ game released after DKC1 had a DK face with an arrow. So it was a response.

3.- In the guide of DKC2 there is a character called "Uncle Kong" that looks very similar to Bluster Kong from the TV show,

4.- A Virtual Boy version of DKC2 was planned, and they made the title screen before cancelling it because of the VB's failure.

5.- Klubba was going to be the boss of the Lost World, before being scrapped and replaced for K. Rool's round 2.

6.- The Instruction Booklet's description of the Minus Barrel references the Minus World glitch of Super Mario Bros.

7.- Kremcroc Industries is placed before Gorilla Glacier in the DK Island seen in the background of Gangplank Galleon. Which contradicts its location in DKC1. That's because that was going to be its original placement, then changed, but DKC2 used the original model for some reason.

8.- Dixie's model has a red band around her forehead.

9.- Describes the Castle Crush glitch, which you shouldn't ever do unless you are a speedrunner that isn't afraid to destroy its cartridge's memory.

10.- Glimmer is in the cover of DK Land 2, but he isn't actually in the game. So... it counts as false advertising I guess?

11.- Talks about Kerozene being added to the GBA's version. And Pacifica being added to DKC3's GBA version.

12.- Diddy and Dixie have unused bonus failure animations, like in DKC1. They were made but then they changed the format of the bonuses so there wasn't a need for the animations.

13.- There are unused colored versions of Zingers, Flitters and Flotsam. You can use this Action Replay Code on a emulator to access an unfinished version of Web Woods: 7E00D300

14.- The beginning of Bayou Boogie is incredibly similar to Phil Collins's "In the air tonight". Seems like David Wise got inspiration from Collins's music.

15.- An unused Crocodile Cacophony-version of the Death theme exists, but it doesn't play because of a glitch. There is also a sound that the Kongs make while they are transforming into animals, but it doesn't play because the barrel exploding SFX overlaps it in the channel sound.

16.- Wrinkly's math exercises on the school board are all wrong LMAO.

17.- Mario, Link and Yoshi's cameos in Cranky's Video Games Heroes ranking. In the original SNES game, Link was 3rd and Yoshi was 2nd place. In the GBA version, Link is now 2nd and Yoshi is 3rd place. I suppose this is because we are now in a post-Ocarina of Time world.

18.- An unused character called Mr. X (No, not the Resident Evil one) was supposed to chase the Kongs in Haunty Halls before being replaced. But he still appears in the German guide described as a "mysterious foe no one has seen yet".

19.- Originally a golden statue of Rambi and Enguarde in a glass tank were going to be in the background of Cranky's House, but finally, Winky and Expresso were out and they took their places. In the GBA version you can see both being alive, and Expresso being in a cage instead of being a statue.

20.- Killer Instinct cameos, with the poster of Thunder on Cranky's house and the arcade station that says "KI Here" in Krazy Kremland.

21.- The DKC1 renders look so plastic because Rare didn't know how to generate fur in 3D. By the time of DKC2, you can see the famous render of Diddy, DK and Dixie with full fur now. Before they knew how to do this however, a render of Dixie with the old plastic look of DKC1 was made.

22.- Talks about the beta version having a Title Screen with an animation of the chest opening and revealing the word "Quest". The title was going to be Diddy Kong's Quest. In the final version the animation was removed, they filled the chest with collectables and the title was changed to Diddy's Kong Quest (I always thought it was Diddy Kong's Quest for years.... when I realized it I felt so dumb).

I play DKC2 often and maybe too many times, so playing it again when I go back home it's not going to be so hard or nostalgic. But I will 102% it again, I need to have a 102% file on every console where I own it, it's one of my self-imposed rules.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
For anyone playing Mario Kart Tour, Dixie and Funky have been added back to the high end pool for this Tour (coincidence or not they were released today). Hopefully they'll eventually become part of the permanent pool like Pauline did.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Now that DKC2 is out we can highlight the differences and nuance between Dixie and Diddy! All that distinction during a time when recoloring characters for Player 2 was an industry standard. Rare deserves a lot of credit for that alone, and Dixie deserves a lot of recognition for being far more than Wig Diddy.

Off the top of my head, the only other protagonist that was made different from the main character was Zero from Mega Man X at this time. Can anyone name others?
I really hope we see Dixie in Fighter Pass 2!
That counts! Welcome to the Barrel!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
DKC2 redraw by She's a Monkey.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Now that DKC2 is out we can highlight the differences and nuance between Dixie and Diddy! All that distinction during a time when recoloring characters for Player 2 was an industry standard. Rare deserves a lot of credit for that alone, and Dixie deserves a lot of recognition for being far more than Wig Diddy.

Off the top of my head, the only other protagonist that was made different from the main character was Zero from Mega Man X at this time. Can anyone name others?
I wouldn't call Dixie a player 2, because she's a playable character you need to use in single player. Wouldn't Player 2 in this case be the purple re-colors?

I can think of Knuckles as another character being very different yet similar enough to the main playable character (:ultsonic:), he even got his own plot. Sonic 3 & Knuckles was 1994.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I wouldn't call Dixie a player 2, because she's a playable character you need to use in single player. Wouldn't Player 2 in this case be the purple re-colors?

I can think of Knuckles as another character being very different yet similar enough to the main playable character (:ultsonic:), he even got his own plot. Sonic 3 & Knuckles was 1994.
I mean Player 2 in the sense of a Secondary Character. Sonic and Diddy would be the Main Characters while Knuckles and Dixie would be secondary in the case of those games.

Knuckles is a good suggestion. I'd say Tails too but his helicopter move couldn't be used until Sonic 3 IIRC. Before that game his helicopter was just a way to justify how he returns to Sonic.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
So I was replaying DKC2 on Switch today and the game ran smoothly, quicker, and looked more sharp on Switch where as I felt the Wii U VC release looked worse and ran slower/lagged a bit. Im not sure if it was just me who noticed though. Either way having a blast replaying it.
Switch is using the same emulator of the SNES Classic, which can run Star Fox and Yoshi's Island and also has the rewind feature.
The Wii U emulator was known for having a dark color filter and a very small input lag. But the framerate has always been the same. I don't think it's running faster or slower on any system, including 3DS.
But IMO playing the original cartridge on a crt TV is still the best way to play DKC.

I mean Player 2 in the sense of a Secondary Character. Sonic and Diddy would be the Main Characters while Knuckles and Dixie would be secondary in the case of those games.

Knuckles is a good suggestion. I'd say Tails too but his helicopter move couldn't be used until Sonic 3 IIRC. Before that game his helicopter was just a way to justify how he returns to Sonic.
Not many platformers had multiple playable characters to choose at the time. That was often the territory of action games. At least Luigi getting unique sprites was becoming the norm with Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World instead of being Green Mario like in the original SMW.
So what DKC was doing with 2 different characters to control in a single player adventure was quite novel. I wonder if Knuckle's Chaotix got inspired by it.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I heard the boss theme in this fan game which sounds familiar, but I can't figure out where it originally came from-

Skip to 15:40

Justin Little

Smash Ace

I am having trouble embedding tweets from my phone so I apologise for the inconvenience.

In the tweets below, Hyle claims Retro had already moved on from DK by the time they were put in charge of MP4.

That... kinda sucks, doesn't it? Did people really scare them away after the **** show that was the initial Tropical Freeze reveal? Or did they simply got bored with the IP? No matter the reasoning, it's a shame Retro won't be working on a new DK at least for a long time.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I realized today is that with the Country games (which have been the most critically acclaimed and commercial successful DK games for over 25 years), is that Dixie has been playable the same amount of times that Donkey Kong himself has. Pretty telling of how beloved and effective she's been as one of the main characters.

Top Bottom