• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Since this is CrashBoards. Does that make this thread the Coco support thread?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
AAAAAAH!!! THEY'RE HONORING CRASH THIS YEAR?!?!?! HE'S MY CHILDHOOD FAVORITE VIDEO GAME CHARACTER!!!!

So happy to see that Mutant Marsupial take over smashboards! Speaking of which, I think Dixie is more likely to get along with Crash than she would with Coco. Anyway y'all have a good April Fools Day.

Edit: And I LIKE my profile picture!

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So with Ridleyboards, Reggieboards, and Crashboards, it got me thinking, if they ever did an April Fools joke based on a Kong in a future year, would you rather they do Lanky Kong or Kiddy Kong (or someone else)? Maybe Funky would be a good candidate as well.

Now that I think about it maybe they could do the entire family.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So with Ridleyboards, Reggieboards, and Crashboards, it got me thinking, if they ever did an April Fools joke based on a Kong in a future year, would you rather they do Lanky Kong or Kiddy Kong (or someone else)? Maybe Funky would be a good candidate as well.

Now that I think about it maybe they could do the entire family.
Crankyboards. Every avatar becomes an 8-bit sprite, and any post that breaks the rules will be replaced with a rambling rant about how things were better back in the dawn of video games, where they didn't need photorealistic graphics or 100 hour quests to get the story across, and deaths were due to lack of skill instead of the game being unfair.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Crankyboards. Every avatar becomes an 8-bit sprite, and any post that breaks the rules will be replaced with a rambling rant about how things were better back in the dawn of video games, where they didn't need photorealistic graphics or 100 hour quests to get the story across, and deaths were due to lack of skill instead of the game being unfair.
Now I need to make some 8-Bit sprites of various elderly characters. :grin:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Time to start a new conversation. What is everyone's unpopular DK opinions? I'll start:

- DKJB is a top tier DK platformer AND the Wii version is better than the GCN version.

- Tawks is the only good worthy new character created by Retro. The Snomads are decent but only because they are basically artic Kremlings.

- Rambi's redesign in the Retro games is pretty bad. His face is extremely derpy/drowsy in Returns and TF.

- Returns is the worst DKC game. Still fun but lacks much of an identity of its own, the Tikis suck ass, and I have played through the game 3 times fully and cant remember half of the stages.

- Donkey Kong 94 is one of the most overrated yet underrated Nintendo games made. Its not talked about by a lot of people and I dont think it sold that well but the people who have played it act like its the greatest DK game ever created when its at best servicable. The original Mario vs. DK is better.

- Diddy Kong is the least interesting Kong in the bunch at least out of the core playable ones. Yet is somehow the most popular. Dixie, DK, Cranky, Funky, Lanky, Tiny, and Chunky are all better/more entertaining IMO. I still like Diddy but he is overrated.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I do wish they would add more Kongs than Diddy to the games outside of DK. It seems like everytime I look at the Mario spin offs (or Smash Bros for that matter), it's always only DK and Diddy in terms of the Kong family, especially in the recent releases for the past 10 years, whether its Mario Tennis Aces, Super Mario Party, Mario Kart Tour, Dr. Mario World, etc. Even with the latter two being mobile gacha trash that is literally throwing everything and anything in the game in terms of characters its like they still never even thought of putting any of the other Kongs in the game other than DK and Diddy.

In terms of the spin offs, I think Mario Super Sluggers was literally the closest Mario spin off (which was more than 10 years ago) to getting it right with the DK cast, with King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Tiny Kong, and Funky Kong all in the game. I only wish they could recreate that again, since I know they are more than capable of doing it. The only thing that's come close in regards to acknowledging other DK members are the street names in New Donk City.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Time to start a new conversation. What is everyone's unpopular DK opinions? I'll start:

- DKJB is a top tier DK platformer AND the Wii version is better than the GCN version.

- Tawks is the only good worthy new character created by Retro. The Snomads are decent but only because they are basically artic Kremlings.

- Rambi's redesign in the Retro games is pretty bad. His face is extremely derpy/drowsy in Returns and TF.

- Returns is the worst DKC game. Still fun but lacks much of an identity of its own, the Tikis suck ass, and I have played through the game 3 times fully and cant remember half of the stages.

- Donkey Kong 94 is one of the most overrated yet underrated Nintendo games made. Its not talked about by a lot of people and I dont think it sold that well but the people who have played it act like its the greatest DK game ever created when its at best servicable. The original Mario vs. DK is better.

- Diddy Kong is the least interesting Kong in the bunch at least out of the core playable ones. Yet is somehow the most popular. Dixie, DK, Cranky, Funky, Lanky, Tiny, and Chunky are all better/more entertaining IMO. I still like Diddy but he is overrated.
- DKC3 is the most underrated DK game ever as it has some of the best most beautiful levels in the series as well as some of the best bosses and mini games in the series.

- DK needs at least 5 to 6 reps in Smash.

- We need more DK characters in the Mario spin off games besides DK and Diddy.

- DKC is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises honestly their biggest franchise right behind their big 3. (There are people on this site that think Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are bigger and more important franchises than DKC which I absolutely do not agree with. People that think that probably never grew up with the Rareware games back in the day. Honestly, people that only grew up and played Gamecube-Switch.)

- Dixie Kong is the best Kong ever even much more so than DK and Diddy. Dixie is just too awesome.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

My unpopular opinion is that I don't really like Funky.

Aside from that I'm pretty vanilla.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

I really disagree with that overrated statement, Diddy is pretty much the Luigi of the Dkc series is why he's so prominent to the series but outside of the Dkc series I view him as kinda underrated especially in Smash.

Dkc 3 is nearly as much as of masterpiece as the first two.

They shouldn't have changed Tiny Kong, she was fine as a cute little spunky tomboy.

I'd be fine with Dixie and Rool appearing in some Mario spin offs like Mario Kart and such.

Speaking of spin offs, I wouldn't mind having Dk spin offs as long as they are fun to play.
It would keep the series relevancy going along with the platformers.

I wish they would go back to the way they handled the playable characters like in the SNES trilogy as apose to treating the other Kongs like power ups outside of multiplayer, no offense to Dk but I always got a kick out of playing secondary/sidekick characters.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet

I pretty much agree with all of your points lol. I love Diddy too, but I agree that he's the least interesting character in the Kong family. That's not as much a disservice to Diddy as it is a compliment to the Kong family though. DK is my favorite video game character and Cranky, Dixie, and Funky just have so much more personality than Diddy imo.

Your Donkey Kong 94 comment made me laugh. I agree 100%. Jungle Beat is a great game, but it's just hard for fans to accept because of its disregard for cannon, but I'd love a Switch port.

I do like Tawks and hope he becomes Funky's permanent pet from now on. Regarding it being the only good Retro character, I agree for the most part. But I think Professor Chops is better than a standard checkpoint barrel, he just needs to get a little more personality. Also, Squiddicus is a cool character that needs to have a proper boss battle. He's a mythical Kraken (what's not to love about that). Lastly, screaming pillars are pretty cool and I hope they stick around. The best part about Retro is the gameplay additions to the game though. The climbing mechanics, co-op mechanics, puzzle pieces, zip lines, etc. are all ideas that I hope stick around in DK games.

Lastly, yes Rambi's redesign sucks. I agree. Also, it's criminal that Enguarde didn't appear in Tropical Freeze given there is a water world.

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I posted and since we're all in quarantine limbo right now, I thought this would be a better time than ever to give my opinions and thoughts for the future for Donkey Kong and the potential that Dixie and/or other DK reps have in Smash.

First of all, Donkey Kong is in the best position it's been in since Rare was the developer for the series. That might sound like BS to many of you, but trust me. I don't know how many of you follow DKVine and their podcast the Kongversation, but Hyle Russell, a lifelong DK fan runs the show, and he's been tipped off that the Tropical Freeze port, Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure DLC, and King K. Rool in Smash is 'Phase 1' of Nintendo's plan to make Donkey Kong one of their core franchises again, up there with the likes of Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing.

Hyle claims that he has a source from Nintendo named 'Dave Throat' as a cover name, but this is what he's pretty much told him. No one really knows what 'Phase 2' entails for the Kongs, but since Nintendo is really trying to push the brand, Hyle deduces that this new game will be developed internally at Nintendo, and that it'll be released around 2021 in his opinion. Hyle also claims that making Donkey Kong a priority at Nintendo is also part of a push by Miyamoto, because Miyamoto is upset that Donkey Kong doesn't get the same attention as other Nintendo franchises and since DK is his baby, he wanted to make sure that Donkey Kong has a bright future and stability that the franchise hasn't had since Rare, via having a dedicated studio/dev team.

Now you can ignore this all you want, but think about this. Nintendo is launching a series of theme parks around the world. Super Nintendo World is confirmed for Universal's Epic Universe park in Orlando, launching in 2023. Nintendo's also launching their Super Nintendo World theme park in Osaka, Japan this year, but it may be delayed due to Covid-19. Regardless, since it's launching this year in Japan, the plan from Nintendo is to release most of the back catalogue of Super Mario games in HD for the Switch to not only celebrate the 35th anniversary of Mario, but also to hype up the opening of their first theme park. The Donkey Kong attraction isn't at the Osaka location, it's only the Mario attractions. But that's due to how much less real estate there is in Japan, and there could be a Donkey Kong expansion in that area in the future. Super Nintendo World is also coming to Universal parks in Hollywood and Singapore, but I'm not sure if the Donkey Kong attraction will or won't be a part of these parks initially, but they may come in Phase 2. There's also rumors that Islands of Adventure will get a Zelda themed land replacing the Lost Continent, and that a Pokemon area will replace the Kids Zone in Universal Orlando. Lastly, the Mario sections of all parks will have a low-intensity Yoshi ride.

That was a lot of information, but why did I tell you this? Think about it. Donkey Kong is getting a theme park section/ride. Only Mario and Donkey Kong have confirmed rides and theme park sections, while Zelda and Pokemon are highly rumored, but still not confirmed. This means that by 2023, the greater public, not the internet fanboys, will view the Donkey Kong franchise as highly as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. How many other video game franchises have theme park sections/rides? You don't think Nintendo's going to capitalize on this with the DK brand? I know we're experiencing our biggest drought ever for new Donkey Kong content, but the future is very bright. Hyle has also claimed that King K. Rool is completely indispensable now, and will be a part of every future Donkey Kong game due to his success on the ballot. He also claimed that Donkey Kong was officially separated as its own brand from the Mario franchise back in 2017. Here are the first two merchandising efforts from the new DK brand:

https://www.facebook.com/boxlunchgi...ollection-boxlunch-exclsuive/807843119583877/
https://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Kong-2021-Wall-Calendar/dp/1419744518

Expect a lot more merchandise for DK once we finally get that new game. I'm with you guys. It's killing me that it's taking this long for a new DK game, but I actually expect one by 2021, and 2022 at the absolute latest. I expect it to be a huge 3D adventure and it'll probably have a huge emphasis on Mine Carts to cross-promote the theme park. K. Rool is 100% coming back and so are his Kremling minions, and I expect the Tropical Freeze cast to be the playable Kong cast for the future of the series. I expect it to pay tribute to DK64 by having 5 playable Kongs, being the Tropical Freeze cast. I'm also of the belief that the New Donk City references, aren't just easter eggs, but are hinting at what characters to expect in the next mainline game. Spoiler: consider the possible return of King K. Rool, Candy, Tiny, Rattly, Expresso and so on. Lastly, I expect New Donk City to be a core area of the next game. I don't think the naming of New 'Donk' City is just a throwaway title, and also Donkey Kong's classic mode ladder is called 'Journey to New Donk City'. Kinda strange considering Donkey Kong has never visited New Donk City, unless it's a hint... But that's just a theory.

Lastly, how does this relate to Dixie? Well, with the addition of an Arms character and Byleth, Nintendo is using the Smash cast to market their current games. When you think about it, Donkey Kong's latest stage in Ultimate is 75M, while many other Nintendo franchises have stages representing their current games: Zelda: Great Plateau Tower, Mario: New Donk City, Splatoon: Moray Towers, Fire Emblem: Garegg Mach Monestary, Arms: ?). I think that this round of DLC is going to be more focused on 1st party characters. I still think we'll get a couple third party characters like Crash Bandicoot or Doom Slayer, but since Nintendo picked this batch of DLC, I'm just guessing that this is being used to promote current Switch games. Therefore, don't be surprised if this DLC wave has a new generation Pokemon to promote Sword & Shield, Tom Nook to represent Animal Crossing; New Horizons, and a Donkey Kong character to represent the newest Donkey Kong game. If this DLC strategy is true, I don't think Metroid is going to get a DLC character this round because of the delay of MP4. Sorry Metroid fans lol.

Now here's my opinion and you might not like it. If Donkey Kong is going to get a new character, Dixie Kong isn't a lock. Sakurai's design philosophy is to add characters that have unique gameplay mechanics and Dixie Kong's best chance at being a newcomer is to be a semi-clone of Diddy. Think Piranha Plant and Wii Fit Trainer. Therefore, knowing Nintendo and Sakurai's tendency to select unpredictable characters, I think Cranky Kong has a great shot at being a DK rep. He'd be a hilarious character that no one expected, and he'd also have that unique pogo bounce, so it'd be a way to add a Shovel Knight move since Shovel Knight was highly requested, but is an AT. I think Funky Kong has a chance due to the same logic. However, Dixie could very well be the character. This is just my opinion if this were the case. I'd give it a 50/50 chance if there is a new DK rep to have either Dixie or Cranky/Funky be the rep.

Hyle said that he puts a Donkey Kong character getting in as DLC as a 40-60% chance, which may sound way more optimistic than it should be, but it'd make sense as a part of the 'Phase 2' plans. Anyways, if I were a developer, what I'd do is I'd make Cranky a unique fighter and pad the rest of the DK roster with Funky being a DK echo and Dixie being a Diddy echo (but a Chrom like echo where she has DK's recovery). It's the most likely scenario for us to get all 6 core DK characters. We wouldn't need another DK character after that. I know that you guys might hate the idea of Dixie being an echo, but I'd personally much rather have a Dixie echo than no Dixie. You may never again get the opportunity for Dixie to fight Cloud if we have to wait for Smash 6.

Anyways, that's my long-winded post. After the buyout of Rare, Donkey Kong fans have suffered for a very long time. But, we're pretty much experiencing a renaissance of Rare. Sea of Thieves has a great following, even if it's not my cup of tea. Playtonic is one of the best indie studios out there, and if you're a classic Rare fan like me, they certainly scratch that Banjo-Kazooie and classic DKC itch. We got King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie in Smash! Also, Donkey Kong is going to make a big comeback.

If you want to check out Kongversation episodes that go over this information, here are some links to the most informative episodes regarding these topics. Granted, the Kongversation can get kind of long-winded and there's a lot of vulgarity, so the presentation style might not be for everyone:

The Future of Donkey Kong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNd04OcqUk

Donkey Kong Island at Universal Orlando:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKX8Hv0qvvc

New Year's Forecast for 2020:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkmX4-kBxC0

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
- DK needs at least 5 to 6 reps in Smash.
That's debatable.

Just Dixie being added would be enough to represent the franchise as she, DK, Diddy and K. Rool are their most well renowned characters as Bandana Dee is with Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede being the Main 4.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Unpopular DK opinions:

-64 is a great game and I don't mind the collecting stuff nearly as much as most do. I will admit it does get a little bit out of hand though.

-Kiddy Kong isn't THAT bad

-DKC 3 is also a great game
Agreed. DK64 and DKC1 are my favorite games in the series. It's mainly nostalgia because I grew up with them and didn't play DKC2 or DKC3 until many years later. DK64 is still a great game. It has a 90 on Metacritic for a reason. It's not Sonic 06 like the internet wants you to believe. The only problems I have with the game is that they should've had a dedicated switching Kongs like the L button as opposed to having to navigate to the tag barrel and some of the mini-games are broken. If a DK64 remaster comes out, they can fix these problems and redeem the game. Fixing these two problems would streamline the gameplay significantly.

Kiddy Kong isn't that bad. He's not great, but I don't think he's deserving of the hate. Yes DKC3 is the most underrated game in the series. Probably because the N64 was already out.

I'll give you a hot take. The Snowmads are the worst villains in the series. The Tikis are just wooden planks, but I like the fact that they have a tribal/spritiual/ancient vibe to them. It works in the Donkey Kong universe. Also, I like how they're based on instruments which seems to have been a nod to Banjo-Kazooie as well as the puzzle piece collectibles by Retro Studios. The rival/rogue Kongs was a cool concept for Jungle Beat too. It's kind of like the Manky Kongs in DKC1. The reason I don't like the Snowmads is because all I think of them as is the Chinese knock-off of the Kremlings. I understand that Retro added them because it was the closest thing they can do to honor the Kremlings because Tanabe wouldn't allow them to return, so I appreciate that, but they just are poor-man's Kremlings to me. The Viking theme to them is cool though I admit.

Lastly, I like the Paon games a lot and don't think they get enough love.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I posted and since we're all in quarantine limbo right now, I thought this would be a better time than ever to give my opinions and thoughts for the future for Donkey Kong and the potential that Dixie and/or other DK reps have in Smash.

First of all, Donkey Kong is in the best position it's been in since Rare was the developer for the series. That might sound like BS to many of you, but trust me. I don't know how many of you follow DKVine and their podcast the Kongversation, but Hyle Russell, a lifelong DK fan runs the show, and he's been tipped off that the Tropical Freeze port, Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure DLC, and King K. Rool in Smash is 'Phase 1' of Nintendo's plan to make Donkey Kong one of their core franchises again, up there with the likes of Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing.

Hyle claims that he has a source from Nintendo named 'Dave Throat' as a cover name, but this is what he's pretty much told him. No one really knows what 'Phase 2' entails for the Kongs, but since Nintendo is really trying to push the brand, Hyle deduces that this new game will be developed internally at Nintendo, and that it'll be released around 2021 in his opinion. Hyle also claims that making Donkey Kong a priority at Nintendo is also part of a push by Miyamoto, because Miyamoto is upset that Donkey Kong doesn't get the same attention as other Nintendo franchises and since DK is his baby, he wanted to make sure that Donkey Kong has a bright future and stability that the franchise hasn't had since Rare, via having a dedicated studio/dev team.

Now you can ignore this all you want, but think about this. Nintendo is launching a series of theme parks around the world. Super Nintendo World is confirmed for Universal's Epic Universe park in Orlando, launching in 2023. Nintendo's also launching their Super Nintendo World theme park in Osaka, Japan this year, but it may be delayed due to Covid-19. Regardless, since it's launching this year in Japan, the plan from Nintendo is to release most of the back catalogue of Super Mario games in HD for the Switch to not only celebrate the 35th anniversary of Mario, but also to hype up the opening of their first theme park. The Donkey Kong attraction isn't at the Osaka location, it's only the Mario attractions. But that's due to how much less real estate there is in Japan, and there could be a Donkey Kong expansion in that area in the future. Super Nintendo World is also coming to Universal parks in Hollywood and Singapore, but I'm not sure if the Donkey Kong attraction will or won't be a part of these parks initially, but they may come in Phase 2. There's also rumors that Islands of Adventure will get a Zelda themed land replacing the Lost Continent, and that a Pokemon area will replace the Kids Zone in Universal Orlando. Lastly, the Mario sections of all parks will have a low-intensity Yoshi ride.

That was a lot of information, but why did I tell you this? Think about it. Donkey Kong is getting a theme park section/ride. Only Mario and Donkey Kong have confirmed rides and theme park sections, while Zelda and Pokemon are highly rumored, but still not confirmed. This means that by 2023, the greater public, not the internet fanboys, will view the Donkey Kong franchise as highly as Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. How many other video game franchises have theme park sections/rides? You don't think Nintendo's going to capitalize on this with the DK brand? I know we're experiencing our biggest drought ever for new Donkey Kong content, but the future is very bright. Hyle has also claimed that King K. Rool is completely indispensable now, and will be a part of every future Donkey Kong game due to his success on the ballot. He also claimed that Donkey Kong was officially separated as its own brand from the Mario franchise back in 2017. Here are the first two merchandising efforts from the new DK brand:

https://www.facebook.com/boxlunchgi...ollection-boxlunch-exclsuive/807843119583877/
https://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Kong-2021-Wall-Calendar/dp/1419744518

Expect a lot more merchandise for DK once we finally get that new game. I'm with you guys. It's killing me that it's taking this long for a new DK game, but I actually expect one by 2021, and 2022 at the absolute latest. I expect it to be a huge 3D adventure and it'll probably have a huge emphasis on Mine Carts to cross-promote the theme park. K. Rool is 100% coming back and so are his Kremling minions, and I expect the Tropical Freeze cast to be the playable Kong cast for the future of the series. I expect it to pay tribute to DK64 by having 5 playable Kongs, being the Tropical Freeze cast. I'm also of the belief that the New Donk City references, aren't just easter eggs, but are hinting at what characters to expect in the next mainline game. Spoiler: consider the possible return of King K. Rool, Candy, Tiny, Rattly, Expresso and so on. Lastly, I expect New Donk City to be a core area of the next game. I don't think the naming of New 'Donk' City is just a throwaway title, and also Donkey Kong's classic mode ladder is called 'Journey to New Donk City'. Kinda strange considering Donkey Kong has never visited New Donk City, unless it's a hint... But that's just a theory.

Lastly, how does this relate to Dixie? Well, with the addition of an Arms character and Byleth, Nintendo is using the Smash cast to market their current games. When you think about it, Donkey Kong's latest stage in Ultimate is 75M, while many other Nintendo franchises have stages representing their current games: Zelda: Great Plateau Tower, Mario: New Donk City, Splatoon: Moray Towers, Fire Emblem: Garegg Mach Monestary, Arms: ?). I think that this round of DLC is going to be more focused on 1st party characters. I still think we'll get a couple third party characters like Crash Bandicoot or Doom Slayer, but since Nintendo picked this batch of DLC, I'm just guessing that this is being used to promote current Switch games. Therefore, don't be surprised if this DLC wave has a new generation Pokemon to promote Sword & Shield, Tom Nook to represent Animal Crossing; New Horizons, and a Donkey Kong character to represent the newest Donkey Kong game. If this DLC strategy is true, I don't think Metroid is going to get a DLC character this round because of the delay of MP4. Sorry Metroid fans lol.

Now here's my opinion and you might not like it. If Donkey Kong is going to get a new character, Dixie Kong isn't a lock. Sakurai's design philosophy is to add characters that have unique gameplay mechanics and Dixie Kong's best chance at being a newcomer is to be a semi-clone of Diddy. Think Piranha Plant and Wii Fit Trainer. Therefore, knowing Nintendo and Sakurai's tendency to select unpredictable characters, I think Cranky Kong has a great shot at being a DK rep. He'd be a hilarious character that no one expected, and he'd also have that unique pogo bounce, so it'd be a way to add a Shovel Knight move since Shovel Knight was highly requested, but is an AT. I think Funky Kong has a chance due to the same logic. However, Dixie could very well be the character. This is just my opinion if this were the case. I'd give it a 50/50 chance if there is a new DK rep to have either Dixie or Cranky/Funky be the rep.

Hyle said that he puts a Donkey Kong character getting in as DLC as a 40-60% chance, which may sound way more optimistic than it should be, but it'd make sense as a part of the 'Phase 2' plans. Anyways, if I were a developer, what I'd do is I'd make Cranky a unique fighter and pad the rest of the DK roster with Funky being a DK echo and Dixie being a Diddy echo (but a Chrom like echo where she has DK's recovery). It's the most likely scenario for us to get all 6 core DK characters. We wouldn't need another DK character after that. I know that you guys might hate the idea of Dixie being an echo, but I'd personally much rather have a Dixie echo than no Dixie. You may never again get the opportunity for Dixie to fight Cloud if we have to wait for Smash 6.

Anyways, that's my long-winded post. After the buyout of Rare, Donkey Kong fans have suffered for a very long time. But, we're pretty much experiencing a renaissance of Rare. Sea of Thieves has a great following, even if it's not my cup of tea. Playtonic is one of the best indie studios out there, and if you're a classic Rare fan like me, they certainly scratch that Banjo-Kazooie and classic DKC itch. We got King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie in Smash! Also, Donkey Kong is going to make a big comeback.

If you want to check out Kongversation episodes that go over this information, here are some links to the most informative episodes regarding these topics. Granted, the Kongversation can get kind of long-winded and there's a lot of vulgarity, so the presentation style might not be for everyone:

The Future of Donkey Kong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNd04OcqUk

Donkey Kong Island at Universal Orlando:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKX8Hv0qvvc

New Year's Forecast for 2020:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkmX4-kBxC0
I hope Hyle's words about a 40%/60% chance of a Donkey Kong character making it in as DLC in Ultimate comes true. I really hope we get Dixie Kong as DLC for this game because she deserve almost more than any character. She is literally one of the last Nintendo All Stars not yet in the roster and who knows if we are getting everybody back in the next Smash so this could be Dixie's only chance to duke it out with Banjo & Kazooie, Cloud, Snake, ect.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think Rambi's face being weird in the Retro games is close to being a popular opinion now.
The poor guy looks like he just wants to go home and sleep -- among his friends from DreamWorks' Madagascar franchise.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Here's my unpopular DK opinions.

DKC1 is the worst of the 5 DKCs. It was pretty groundbreaking for its time in more than just graphics, but each sequel took things to the next level to the point where the original is basic as hell. Still fun to play, but it should be played first before any other.

They should incorporate more elements of Jungle Beat into future DKCs, particularly DK's violent streaks.

King of Swing is better than Jungle Climber only because the sprites are easier to mold. I wanted to make sprite vids like SMBZ when I was 15 and KoS had the best malleable DK series sprites. That is the only reason I like it better.

If Retro hadn't revived DKC, whatever Playtonic would have come up with in this alternate timeline wouldn't have been as good.

Rare using DK's model to create Funky and Swanky was kinda lazy. I understand Cranky and Wrinkly since they're all related but the other 2 is going overboard. Still like Funky though.

Cranky probably never would have been playable if Rare made more DKCs, and that would suck cuz we now have proof that Cranky ain't all talk.

Very happy Bumpkin Kong never saw the light of day.

Returns has the best cart levels of all DKCs, as well as the most.

Snowmads had the most memorable bosses of the franchise. Only K. Rool is memorable from the OG trilogy (and maaybe Kudgel, and Dogadon from '64) as most of the bosses are one and done or corny (King Kut Out, Belcha and Bleak).

I prefer the action packed, multi layered detail and Banjo-Kazooie as a sidescroller style of Retro's DKCs. The tag system works better for Super Nintendo.

Surprisingly the Tikis stealing bananas made more sense than the Kremlings stealing bananas. Yea they're lame as hell and lack a strong personality but it is what it is.

DKC3 is better than DKC1, but is less fun to play.

Diddy should stop being a downgraded version of Dixie in the Retro games. He and DK need more of a unique skill.

Funky Waters kicks Aquatic Ambience's ass.

K. Rool shouldn't be revealed as the orchestrator of the previous 2 villains. It's better for everyone if they stand as independent threats and K. Rool makes his grand return not caring about the other 2.

Cranky being DK's dad is better than Cranky being his grandpa.

Lastly, DK Isle being in the shape of DK's head is......pretty wack. Sure it's a reference to King Kong's skull island but it's not creative either.

Well, there you go.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Wait... What?! I never heard of this before. It sounds like Bumpkin would have been as bad or worse than Kiddy.
Bumpkin Kong was suppose to debut in the cancelled Diddy Kong Pilot on the GBA. A planes only Diddy Kong Racing sequel. The game ended up being reworked into Banjo Pilot on the GBA.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
diddy_kong_pilot___characters__alpha__by_jackbh_dbcgop6-fullview.jpg

Also fun fact. Diddy Kong Pilot was about 90% finished before it was cancelled. You can find a fully playable ROM online somewhere. Their are also videos of it in action on youtube.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking about the Mario spin-offs and the Kong's appearances in them, does anyone else think Dixie should replace DK as Diddy's partner? DK should still be in the games obviously, but maybe they should team him up with Cranky instead. Just some random thought.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Here's my unpopular DK opinions.

Lastly, DK Isle being in the shape of DK's head is......pretty wack. Sure it's a reference to King Kong's skull island but it's not creative either.

Well, there you go.
Your Playtonic vs Retro line needed to be said. I'm sorry guys, but deep in your heart, you know it's true.

And I was with you or understood where you were coming from for the most part until you got there.

That face on the island, like the long gaps we have between major DK games since the 1990s, is iconic. There's so much character in it. It helps that DK's face shape is distinctive. They can probably make it look more natural. But I say bring back the face. When Dixie is elected president of DK Island, she will make it her face anyway. But the island's got to have a face. It's just gotta.

In terms of my own DK unpopular opinion, I'd say that the quality gap between Returns and Tropical Freeze is much smaller than people make it out to be. Returns is almost underrated. I think a lot of the aesthetic decisions in Returns though, are unpleasant enough that it makes people remember the game as worse or blander than it is. It was a pretty strong step forward for the series, despite the sometimes weird character designs, art style in general, disappointing music, etc. And actually, in many ways, Tropical Freeze is kind of disappointing coming off Returns in terms of how far Retro extended the DKC formula, even if I still think DKCTF is the better game. DKCR pushed the envelope more and I think we need a new DKC game that manages to do that for DK in 3D.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I was thinking about the Mario spin-offs and the Kong's appearances in them, does anyone else think Dixie should replace DK as Diddy's partner? DK should still be in the games obviously, but maybe they should team him up with Cranky instead. Just some random thought.
Yes, please! Maybe it's just my inner DKC2 fanatic but I think the Diddy/Dixie pairing is just as classic as DK/Diddy, and it's a shame it hasn't come up much since then. For characters who are supposed to be dating, we hardly ever see them directly interact with each other anymore.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Playtonic made a game that could stand toe to toe with Tropical Freeze and was better than Returns. And that was on an indie budget.

Whether you can agree with that or not, there is another thing Playtonic (or RARE of old) excel at and that's character interactivity and lore building. Retro's games are fantastic gameplay wise and the world's they built themselves within the levels you play through are a sight to behold; however, I hate how they ignore almost every little story bit that RARE established previously.

From the lack of Kremlings to the missing face on DK Island, it seems like Retro was partially stuck in a '**** RARE's DKC' phase that many fans felt when Jungle Beat came around barring the return of fan favorites like Diddy, Cranky, and eventually Dixie. The Retro's DKC capture the spirit of the series, but I can't help but feel they are ashamed of it as well. Aside from Candy and Kremling nipples, there isn't much to be ashamed about.

I'm not saying they should bring back everything, but I don't think it would've hurt if they at least made some references within the levels. They mostly make references to the classic arcade games and other Nintendo classics like Metroid, Duck Hunt, Game and Watch, etc. The only Easter Egg to the original DKC to be found is Cranky's old record player from the opening of DKC (which in turn was a reference to the original arcade game lol).

The characters also feel a little dull compared to what they were before. Especially Cranky, who no longer feels like his namesake. It wasn't until the Switch port of TF where I felt they finally got these characters' personalities right... through their new idle animations with DK. Cranky finally did something... Cranky.

I love Retro's DKC so don't get me wrong. I love what they added to the series, and the gameplay is the best it's ever been. When it comes to respecting the world RARE previously built however, I much trust Playtonic with that. Impossible Lair itself makes more references to DKC than Retro's games do.

To be fair, with the way Nintendo has been handling DK with the amount of references in Odyssey, DK Adventure DLC in Mario plus Rabbids, and K. Rool in Smash, I'm sure Retro would've done a much better job at handling my albeit small problems I have with their games. It's a damn shame people might have scared Retro from ever making a new DKC after that childish outburst from fans when TF was initially revealed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Easy.

- The Retro games, while good , haven't topped DKC2 in quality. Yes Tropical Freeze comes close, but it took a lot.

- Jungle Climber is the best Donkey Kong game we got after Rare leaving untill Tropical Freeze. I have great memories and respect for PAON and what they did for the Donkey Kong franchise. Without them, K.Rool, the Kremlings and quite a lot of older Kongs would've been absolutely doomed to fall into obscurity.

- Donkey Kong is a great character, both in design and personality. But as of now, nobody really utilised his prime abilities to its full potential. HE'S A GIANT ALPHA LEADER GORILLA, that's a total gimmick to make a great game on. I'll admit that Jungle Beat came closest with focussing on DK's own abilities, with adding beat em up mechanics and all. They could learn from that. DK lacking a distinct ability of his own relying on his strength is what's extremely missing in the platform DKC games, and ironically was used to its most potential in the original DKC.

- Nintendo should've tried to do something with the DKC cast way before Rare left when they saw that Rare didn't give Donkey Kong their full attention on the N64. Another DK game for the 64 by Nintendo could've been.. nice? Especially with Rare being there to help with the characterization.

- Despite what I said above, I love DK64. The overall presentation is just charming as ****. It tops Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Banjo-Kazooie even out of the water with the characterization of the cast. Outside of the back tracking and badly done controls for the mini games (which where still fun) the game was awesome.

- I don't like the concept of Mario Vs Donkey Kong at all. Did just about everything wrong with DK's personality, and didn't add in any DKC elements till the last entry. If they wanted to do it properly, they should've let us play with DK also, and focus on his part of a shared story. That would have great potential.

- I wouldn't mind if we didn't got another platformer this generation and instead we got a 3D platformer and a couple of spin offs. I want and miss the spin offs, because they are heavily character focussed. We need that right now to make the characters popular again.

There's probably more things, but I think you guys will help me remember them.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong Racing Wave 10
  • Lanky Kong
  • Tiki Tong (If this were real we would see appearances from other members of the Tiki Tak Tribe during races)
  • Fluff, who said all Snomads had to wear viking gear?
  • Brash, the most important bear of all

Everyone's getting really small lol.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
- Nintendo should've tried to do something with the DKC cast way before Rare left when they saw that Rare didn't give Donkey Kong their full attention on the N64. Another DK game for the 64 by Nintendo could've been.. nice? Especially with Rare being there to help with the characterization.
I absolutely agree. They should have made a DK spin off or two for the N64 and maybe the Kongs and K. Rool wouldn't have been left in obscurity after Rare left.

Top Bottom