• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Tips, Tricks and useful Information

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Has anyone seen this vid yet? Seems like DK is one of the few char that doesn't need an ledge to perform.

Has anyone been experimenting with this yet? Possible setup combos off the top of your head that might be possible with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtMBrKq_iCE

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk
Has anyone seen this vid yet? Seems like DK is one of the few char that doesn't need an ledge to perform.

Has anyone been experimenting with this yet? Possible setup combos off the top of your head that might be possible with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtMBrKq_iCE
Yeah thats kinda old but i was practicing that today actually. Ive been messing around with edge slide jab1 into different things like throw/cargo throw, neutral b, d tilt.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
This looks really useful, how is it done? I'm not clear with the video.
All you do is turn around during a dash or run and keep the stick in the direction you turned. Basically there is a brief period where you can cancel into anything while getting a boost. If you hold the stick too long and don't press any buttons, you will run in the other direction. If you don't hold it long enough, you just pivot. You will also probably Ftilt/smash or pivot grab if you press buttons too early.

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Hello, I have some questions. Firstly, why don't you see pro players use the roll attack very often? (Forward+A)
Also, I see a lot of players jumping to use the mid air side kick, but you have to jump so you got your back to your opponent to perform the kick. But it doesn't look like the pro players have to change direction before they jump. Are pro players just doing it quickly or is there another way to perform the jump?

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk

What you guys think?? Wanted to show yall what i came up with. You think itd be escapable? In theory if someine were to roll you would just have to predict where they would roll and then perfect pivot the opposite way and catch them with a jab 1 or d tilt. Maybe some other options along those lines too. Would deff like some feed back.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Hello, I have some questions. Firstly, why don't you see pro players use the roll attack very often? (Forward+A)
Also, I see a lot of players jumping to use the mid air side kick, but you have to jump so you got your back to your opponent to perform the kick. But it doesn't look like the pro players have to change direction before they jump. Are pro players just doing it quickly or is there another way to perform the jump?
The reason you don't see high level players using Dash Attack often is because it's straight up slow and laggy. All it takes is just to hit a shield and then you're open for what ever punish will come.

Also regarding the Back Air kick being used quickly without the turning animation, it's called Reverse Aerial Rush(RAR). To do this, you dash in a direction and before jumping you quickly tap the opposite direction you are dashing towards and then immediately followup with a jump and an aerial facing the way you were dashing at the same time. Now what happens is because of that quick tap in the opposite direction, it triggered your character to go into their turn around animation. At this point you can cancel the turnaround animation by jumping, thus your character is now facing the opposite direction you were initially dashing at. So now when I said to use an aerial towards the direction you were dashing towards you will be doing a Back Air instead of a Forward Air. So there you go. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

What you guys think?? Wanted to show yall what i came up with. You think itd be escapable? In theory if someine were to roll you would just have to predict where they would roll and then perfect pivot the opposite way and catch them with a jab 1 or d tilt. Maybe some other options along those lines too. Would deff like some feed back.
Wow man, I'll try testing this out for sure. I sure hope its something new and reliable we can use for DK.

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Thank
The reason you don't see high level players using Dash Attack often is because it's straight up slow and laggy. All it takes is just to hit a shield and then you're open for what ever punish will come.

Also regarding the Back Air kick being used quickly without the turning animation, it's called Reverse Aerial Rush(RAR). To do this, you dash in a direction and before jumping you quickly tap the opposite direction you are dashing towards and then immediately followup with a jump and an aerial facing the way you were dashing at the same time. Now what happens is because of that quick tap in the opposite direction, it triggered your character to go into their turn around animation. At this point you can cancel the turnaround animation by jumping, thus your character is now facing the opposite direction you were initially dashing at. So now when I said to use an aerial towards the direction you were dashing towards you will be doing a Back Air instead of a Forward Air. So there you go. Hope that helps.
Thanks, and just one more thing, just to make sure, you never use the buttons to jump, do you?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Thank

Thanks, and just one more thing, just to make sure, you never use the buttons to jump, do you?
Well thats a matter of preference, but I find it much easier and more reliable to use the jump buttons since the control stick is already being used to turnaround and attack all in one quick moment. I reccomend using a jump button.

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Well thats a matter of preference, but I find it much easier and more reliable to use the jump buttons since the control stick is already being used to turnaround and attack all in one quick moment. I reccomend using a jump button.
Thanks, real helpful stuff

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Wow man, I'll try testing this out for sure. I sure hope its something new and reliable we can use for DK.
Tested it, and even with perfect spacing and timing it's pretty easy to jump out of it. You'll maybe be able to do it 2 times in a row before your opponent figure out what's going on.

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk
Tested it, and even with perfect spacing and timing it's pretty easy to jump out of it. You'll maybe be able to do it 2 times in a row before your opponent figure out what's going on.
Damn, thought i was onto something lol

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
DK's roll is terrible. If you're not approaching with back air or neutral air, you're playing DK wrong.

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Best way for DK to edge guard? Depends on character I guess but say if we categorize them as light, medium and heavy, which way is the best?

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Two questions:
I know back air is like, the best attack but why exactly is that?
I've heard you're supposed to use cargo throw (frwrd throw, jump, up throw, jump, up air) at early percentages but how can you do that? The opponent can easily get out of your grip before you have time to perform the move???

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Two questions:
I know back air is like, the best attack but why exactly is that?
I've heard you're supposed to use cargo throw (frwrd throw, jump, up throw, jump, up air) at early percentages but how can you do that? The opponent can easily get out of your grip before you have time to perform the move???
Bair have a lot of reach (let you space it so you won't get shield grab) and stay active for a while.

At 0% you won't be able to do that throw combo, they will mash-out of it. Try it after around 12% and Up-throw them as soon as you leave the ground. You can throw them while in your jumping animation do not wait to be at the apex of your jump to throw them and if you follow with an Uair it will true combo.

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Hello. So I'm terrible at edge guarding. Got any tips on easy but effective ways to edge guard?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Don't be afraid to just chase them off stage with Bairs. You can also mix it up by just empty jumping towards them and see if they'll air dodge. after which you can punish with a Dair or Nair or even Bair into the stage for a stage spike. Just be sure to keep your second jump for getting back to the stage. Never use your mid air jump to chase them offstage unless you are sure you can make it back. I find Characters who recover low are much easy to edgeguard, ofc it all depends on if you can challenge their Up-Bs. Like Mario for example, you're better off going for ledge trump Bairs.

Hopefully others will have something to say.

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Got a prob. When I try to do a b air off a ledge and then do a mid air jump to get back, sometimes I can't do the mid air jump and I just fall down. I'm wondering why this is. Is there something in the turnaround animation you do before doing a b air that I'm doing wrong? Cus sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Don't be afraid to just chase them off stage with Bairs. You can also mix it up by just empty jumping towards them and see if they'll air dodge. after which you can punish with a Dair or Nair or even Bair into the stage for a stage spike. Just be sure to keep your second jump for getting back to the stage. Never use your mid air jump to chase them offstage unless you are sure you can make it back. I find Characters who recover low are much easy to edgeguard, ofc it all depends on if you can challenge their Up-Bs. Like Mario for example, you're better off going for ledge trump Bairs.

Hopefully others will have something to say.
You're really helpful, thanks a lot

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
You have to be careful when jumping that you don't accidentally double jump. This can happen by mashing the jump button or the control stick up. All you need to do is just tap it. Also regarding tap jump, if you jump and do an Up-air with tap jump on, you might be wasting your mid air jump from the input of the up air. In this case you might as well learn to use the C-stick to do aerials.

Tho for your case, you are saying that you are doing B-airs from the ledge. I need to know how you got off the ledge. Do you do a ledge jump and then midair jump back doing a B-air? Do you do a ledge drop and then do a B-air? Do you ledge drop and then jump while doing a B-air? or do you just let go of the ledge by tapping away from it while hanging from it then do a bair? There are many factors that could be causing you to lose your midair jump.

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
You have to be careful when jumping that you don't accidentally double jump. This can happen by mashing the jump button or the control stick up. All you need to do is just tap it. Also regarding tap jump, if you jump and do an Up-air with tap jump on, you might be wasting your mid air jump from the input of the up air. In this case you might as well learn to use the C-stick to do aerials.

Tho for your case, you are saying that you are doing B-airs from the ledge. I need to know how you got off the ledge. Do you do a ledge jump and then midair jump back doing a B-air? Do you do a ledge drop and then do a B-air? Do you ledge drop and then jump while doing a B-air? or do you just let go of the ledge by tapping away from it while hanging from it then do a bair? There are many factors that could be causing you to lose your midair jump.
I Should've clarified, I'm not hanging off the ledge, I'm standing on the edge of the stage and just jumping straight out and doing a back air in the direction I'm jumping, therefor having to do the turnaround jump to jump forward but with my back to my jumping direction.
Ledge was probably the wrong word from me.

Jensm89

Smash Rookie

Trying it out again, I realize you're right. I'm accidentally jumping twice, using both the stick and the button. Just gonna have to practice that away. Thanks again.

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
Any one been experimenting with down tilt mix-ups at early percents? I feel that DK's down tilt is his strongest move on the ground while the opponent is at low to mid percents.
One thing I've been messing with is his dtilt to headbutt. If the opponent doesn't trip they usually shield after the 1st tilt expecting another one or another fast move to come afterwards, leaving them open for an over b opportunity.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Alright guys, here's a list of characters DK can hit with sh bair:

DKs short hop instant/buffered bair onto a grounded opponent:

Info:
- the highest up hitbox of his bair doesn't hit any character, but Rosalina seems to come closest
- some characters don't get hit if you run in front of them and RAR bair through them, even if "hits if you move into opponent" is true

Character | standing | running | hits if you move into opponent
Mario:4mario: | specific spacing | no | no
Luigi:4luigi: | easy to hit | specific spacing | no
Peach:4peach: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Bowser:4bowser: | very easy to hit (crouch: only at specific frames) | yes | yes
Yoshi:4yoshi: | easy to hit | no | yes
Rosalina:rosalina: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Bowser Jr.:4bowserjr: | easy to hit | yes | yes
Wario:4wario2: | specific spacing | yes | no
DK:4dk: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Diddy:4diddy: | only during jumping idle animation | no | no
G&W:4gaw: | no | no | no
Little Mac:4littlemac: | specific spacing | no | no
Link:4link: | very easy to hit | yes | yes

Zelda:4zelda: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Sheik:4sheik: | very easy to hit | no | yes
Ganondorf:4ganondorf: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Toon Link:4tlink: | only during very specific parts of idle animation | no | no
Samus:4samus: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
ZSS:4zss: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Pit:4pit: | very easy to hit | very specific spacing (lowest part & he needs to "hop" during the run) | yes
Palutena:4palutena: | very easy to hit | somewhat specific (lower hitboxes of bair) | yes
Marth:4marth: | very easy to hit | no | yes
Ike:4myfriends: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Robin:4robinm: | easy to hit | yes | yes
Duck Hunt :4duckhunt: | no | no | no
Kirby:4kirby: | no | no | no
Dedede:4dedede: | very easy to hit | yes | yes

Meta Knight:4metaknight: | no | no | no
Fox:4fox: | specific spacing | no | sometimes (an idle animation avoids it)
Falco:4falco: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Pikachu:4pikachu: | no | no | no
Charizard:4charizard: | very easy to hit | a little specific (higher hitboxes of bair don't hit) | yes
Lucario:4lucario: | somewhat specific spacing | no | yes
Jigglypuff:4jigglypuff: | no | no | no
Greninja:4greninja: | only during specific part of idle animation | no | no
ROB:4rob: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Ness:4ness: | no | no | no
Cpt.Falcon:4falcon: | easy to hit | yes | yes
Villager:4villager: | very specific spacing | specific spacing (only lower parts of bair hitbox) | no
Olimar:4olimar: | no | no | no
WiiFitTrainer:4wiifit: | very easy to hit | yes | yes

Shulk:4shulk: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Dr.Mario:4drmario: | specific spacing | no | no
Dark Pit:4darkpit: | very easy to hit | very specific spacing (lowest part & he needs to "hop" during the run) | yes
Lucina:4lucina: | very easy to hit | no | yes
Pac Man:4pacman: | very specific spacing | very specific spacing (lowest part & he needs to "hop" during the run) | no
Megaman:4megaman: | easy to hit | no | no
Sonic:4sonic: | very easy to hit | no | yes
Mewtwo:4mewtwo: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Lucas:4lucas:| no | no | no
Roy:4feroy: | very easy to hit | no | yes
Ryu:4ryu: | very easy to hit | yes | yes
Miis:4mii: (normal size) | easy to hit | no | no

Last edited:

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
So, I just confirmed that footstool to Up-B works in the air to kill. I didn't think it was a real string, but I managed to get it on Olimar twice, and I figure if it works on a little thing like Oli, it probably works on a lot of the cast. Uploading replays now, will post them when they finish. I hadn't seen this mentioned in the community guide or here, so I figured it was unknown?

Edit: Here is the first replay, I also saved it because of Olimar's odd buffered offstage grab at... around 1:39

Second time it was done : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDxGI618QkA

Last edited:

Demp

Smash Journeyman
DK's cargo downthrow is a kill move at ~130%+. Especially when DK has rage. Just cargo close to the edge, walk off, and downthrow and the opponent will die. And the downthrow thrusts DK up in the air, stopping him from falling so you could easily make it back to stage with no risk of SDing. This is especially useful because you won't always get a grab at high percents with your backside closer to the blastzone/ledge. But it's also dangerous because if they mash out early they can footstool you, but that's pretty much only when you pummel a lot, cargo closer to the middle of the stage so you walk more, or when they aren't at a high percent (so it wouldn't kill any way... unless you're trying to gimp as explained below).

This can also gimp characters with poor recovery. Characters like Mac, Ike, Dr. Mario, Link (depends on %), Ganon (depends on %), Yoshi (if you catch him without his second jump), etc. Otherwise, it puts you in a good spot for edge guarding after you recover back to the ledge.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I know this is super late, but this is wrong. Dash attack is like his third best move behind bair and grab. It's one of the best dash attacks in the game. Using spaced instant-dash attacks as a burst movement out of an empty hop, dash-shield, dash dancing etc. punishes low-commitment actions from very far away and is one of his main ways of getting in on someone. M2K does it all the time. It's only easily punishable on block if you spaced it. If you don't, ie. you hit their shield with an early portion of the attack and continue to roll through, it's hard for a lot of characters to punish it because of the distance you get and the low end-lag. It also has good reward on hit because it pops them up at a nice height for pressure.

If you want to go for cheeze, dash attack at the ledge at low percents often sets them up for a fair spike. You can go for it because it's safe on whiff, but you might prefer a more reliable option.

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I know this is super late, but this is wrong. Dash attack is like his third best move behind bair and grab. It's one of the best dash attacks in the game. Using spaced instant-dash attacks as a burst movement out of an empty hop, dash-shield, dash dancing etc. punishes low-commitment actions from very far away and is one of his main ways of getting in on someone. M2K does it all the time. It's only easily punishable on block if you spaced it. If you don't, ie. you hit their shield with an early portion of the attack and continue to roll through, it's hard for a lot of characters to punish it because of the distance you get and the low end-lag. It also has good reward on hit because it pops them up at a nice height for pressure.

If you want to go for cheeze, dash attack at the ledge at low percents often sets them up for a fair spike. You can go for it because it's safe on whiff, but you might prefer a more reliable option.
Yeah they buffed Dash Attack after I wrote that. It's def more reliable now.

As a KingKong secondary I struggle with a lot of faster characters (i.e. Lil' Mac, Sheik to name two) and I was wondering if any of you could help me out?
Also I need tips on recovering, I always seem to panic and press UpB before my 2nd jump.

Proto_DLN000

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3780-9118-8900
As a KingKong secondary I struggle with a lot of faster characters (i.e. Lil' Mac, Sheik to name two) and I was wondering if any of you could help me out?
Also I need tips on recovering, I always seem to panic and press UpB before my 2nd jump.
Little mac is a character you can usually stay in shield against an attack then punish with long tilts. Utilt might ? work to help stuff approaches but I have no clue its been a while since I played a mac. Also, remember that mac is really weak in the air and simply try your best to keep him in the air and rack up as much damage as you can. Once you get him offstage, try to read what his recovery option will be and react accordingly with back air.

In general fast characters tend to be kind of a pain in the ass for DK, but try to remember that your up-b breaks a lot of combos, you might be able to outrange them, you have a lot of big hitboxes for them to run into, and that a majority of the time you can kill them relatively early compared to the rest of cast. I'd say simply avoid letting them in as much as you can, and when they get close abuse your faster moves like jab.

It's ok to use your up-b before your second jump, but this seems like nothing but nerves. Stay calm. Try to learn the lowest height you can snap to ledge so you can save your jump, but if you're playing against someone who can spike you easily (falcon, falco, spikes below them like that.) don't forget to use it as well.

Top Bottom