• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Tactical Discussion: Official "Ask Strong Bad Stuff.. About Stuff" thread

Child Star

Smash Ace
Then yeah I'll be there tonight.

Edit: But where were you! We ended up playing PM doubles for a couple hours.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I have tap jump on, but I don't use tap jump except for Up-B/UpSmash out of shield. I think jumping with X or Y is better in general because it just gives you more control over your character. I also claw my index finger onto Y to do most of my jump inputs in order to do them as fast as possible.

Skeeter

Smash Rookie
I have tap jump on, but I don't use tap jump except for Up-B/UpSmash out of shield. I think jumping with X or Y is better in general because it just gives you more control over your character. I also claw my index finger onto Y to do most of my jump inputs in order to do them as fast as possible.
Thanks for the information man. :-)

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Hi all, what is your general plan and/or playstyle in the neutral game? I feel the weakest part of my game is getting openings.

jayy

Smash Rookie
NNID
tlrstrb
dk's goal in the neutral is to get a grab, as this leads to almost all his combos. his dash dance is awesome and his dash grab range is insane. watch videos of poob or strong bad to see how they do their neutral to get an idea.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Hi all, what is your general plan and/or playstyle in the neutral game? I feel the weakest part of my game is getting openings.
Yes, you usually want to go for grabs like Jayy said. However, the optimal way to play neutral as DK is heavily dependent on your opponent's character and playstyle. This could be said true for every character's neutral, but even moreso for DK. His neutral changes drastically between matchups as opposed to a character like let's say, Link, who can play a similar(yet not exact) projectile based neutral on much of the cast.So I'll vaguely explain:

For example, DK v.s link you want to play extremely aggressive and just do lot's of quick maneuvers/attacks around him that are difficult for him to punish and that allow you to always stay in striking distance to punish ANY of his attempts to take out or throw a projectile.
However, v.s. marth you're usually better off playing a little more defensive. You can abuse crouch cancelling marth's moves to get things started, and you can just play the bait and punish game. This is because most marth players are great at punishing approaches and aggression.
So yeah, it would take an absurd amount of time to create a DK neutral game guide. Therefore, you need to consider your opponent's character and playstyle, and determine whether you're better off playing the reckless shffl nair approach style, back air spacing style, bait and punish with a grab style, pressuring style, camping style, etc. If you've never played someone, go into the set thinking character-vs-character until you learn their tendencies and can further determine how to best play neutral vs them.
Also keep in mind, don't go for grabs vs floaties at high percent since there are no guaranteed follow up on most of them. If you use a bait and punish style vs a floaties, go for something else that will kill. jab combo to up air works wonders

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Whats the best use for the Giant Punch other than a combo finisher, specifically in the DK ditto?

Last edited:

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
I actually am able to hit a lot with giant punch in neutral. I usually do this as I am falling to the ground a little further than nair range away from them. They figure I can't threaten any attack at that range, so they go in to punish my landing. The giant punch range catches people off-guard. It's nice damage, and if the opponent is at a higher percent, it will set up an edgeguard.

Daltonthelou

Smash Rookie
So i've got the fast-faller matchup down but what do you guys do against floaties such as samus?

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
space like a mutha. punch to kill. up air to kill (i think you can do jab+jab->up air?)

From POOB earlier on this page:
Also keep in mind, don't go for grabs vs floaties at high percent since there are no guaranteed follow up on most of them. If you use a bait and punish style vs a floaties, go for something else that will kill. jab combo to up air works wonders

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
What's DK's good matchups? And how good of a character would you say he is? And please explain how I can own the Mewtwo matchup. It's annoying, but then I see DKs beat the crap out of M2s. Also, Strong Bad must feel annoyed about all the people who complain about PM( *cough*way too many people to say in one cough*cough* ) It's like the PMDT's getting money for it!

jayy

Smash Rookie
NNID
tlrstrb
DK has a good time against fast fallers due to his ability to chain uair's and get way more off of throws. Fox, Wolf, and ESPECIALLY Roy are all good examples. He does well against characters who he comboes well. Falco is another story because lasers. As a character, he is pretty mid-low tier although he's seen a few buffs in 3.5 along with everyone else getting nerfed that have made him better. I don't have much experience playing mewtwo so I can't help with that.

Top Bottom