• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Strategy Survey

JRad

Smash Apprentice
I made this survey that talks about a lot of different situations. Stage pick, grabs, and a few other things. Of course some of these questions can't be answered in black and white terms and multiple answers are correct. I just want you to pick the one you are most likely to do or feel is right the first time you read the question. Assume that you are playing against a good player. I've put a good amount of time into the survey and had Phish-it's helpful input but of course there may be some things that might be confusing. Just kinda wanted to see what you all thought and could use it as a discussion point. I tried to pick scenarios that give us a decision tree with many branches so to speak. Hope you enjoy it.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=8tfg2feadblgv3m627364

Last edited:

JRad

Smash Apprentice
Results are in!! Thanks to the 12 people who responded!

Best DK Color
1. Black --- AND --- Green (4)
2. Original (2)
3. Blue (1)
4. Red (1)

Preferred stage strike against Fox (assume he is striking "properly").
1. Battlefield (6)
2. Yoshi's Story (5)
3. Final Destination (1) <-- Not sure which Fox would strike here.

Favorite/Go-To Cargo Finisher on Fox/Falco at 115% on Final Destination/Area with no platform they can DI to.
1. Cargo uthrow into Upb (6)
2. Cargo uthrow into fair (3)
3. Cargo uthrow into Usmash (2)
4. Other (1) <- Whoever put this, please elaborate.

You have Fox under a side platform at 115% in a grab facing towards the ledge. What is your go to option?
1. Cargo Uthrow -> Nair/Bair ---- AND ---- Cargo -> Jump to a platform and hope they don't mash out -> Another option listed or Usmash (3)
2. Cargo -> shorthop/fullhop uthrow -> Nair/Bair ---- AND ---- Cargo into dthrow/fthrow/bthrow offstage (2)
3. Cargo uthrow upair --- AND --- cargo uthrow Upb (1)

You just did cargo downthrow to fox offstage when he was on 30%. What do you try next?
1. Upb onto the ledge to try to hit him out of his side b or react to his up b. (6)
2. Dtilt/Fsmash/DonkeyPunch as he tries to recover (3)
3. Grab ledge and getup attack as he recovers --- AND --- Jump off and hit him with an aerial --- AND --- Just grab ledge then react to how he recovers with an aerial or other option(1).

Preferred stage strike against Falco. (Assume he is striking properly).
1. Final Destination (4)
2. Battlefield --AND-- Dreamland (3)
3. Yoshi's Story (2)

You have Falco in a grab on the side of the stage at 20%. What are you most likely to do assuming stock and percents are equal?
1. If Final Destination, cargo time. Otherwise gimp. (5)
2. It's cargo uthrow uair time. (4)
3. Throw him off and try to gimp him. (3)

Stage strike agaisnt Marth (Assuming he strikes "properly")
1. Yoshi's Story (4)
2. Battlefield --- AND --- Dreamland (3)
3. Fountain of Dreams (2)

Marth is at 40% on a stage with platforms.You have him in a grab somewhere in the middle of stage on battlefield. What are you most likely to do next?
1. Cargo -> fullhop -> dair -> tech chase (5)
2. Cargo upair into something else (4)
3. Cargo uthrow -> dair -> techchase (2)
4. Cargo uthrow -> full hop -> uair (1)

Marth is recovering below the stage and its past the range where you can hit him so he can now recover on stage or ledge. He still has his side b and/or jump. What do you do? (Assume percents and stocks are equal)
1. Marth Slayer light shield trick (6)
2. Try to attack him from onstage with dtilt or shffl bair/dair (3)
3. Grab ledge and try to upb him when he upbs (2)
4. Grab ledge and get up attack when he upbs (1).

Marth is at 90% and you have just grabbed him. What now?
1. Cargo uthrow -> fullhop -> Fair (7)
2. Backthrow right away (4)
3. Cargo uthrow -> Fair (1)

Stage Strike against Sheik.
1. Battlefield (5)
2. Final Destination (3)
3. Fountain of Dreams (2)
4. Yoshi's Story --- AND --- Dreamland (1)

You have just grabbed Falcon at 0 on FD in the middle of the stage. What do you do? (Can pick multiple)
1. Cargo uthrow -> uair -> uair again right away to try to catch double jump --- AND --- Cargo -> Uair -> regrab. (6)
2. Cargo uthrow -> try regrabbing. (5)
3. Cargo uthrow -> uair -> wait for the jump and try to react. (2)
4. Cargo full hop Uair --- AND --- Cargo uthrow -> uair -> utilt. (1)

Is it worth it to use Donkey Punch to try to get percent even though you won't get a kill or ledge guard from it?
1. Yes, as many times as you think you can land it. (6)
2. Yes, but only once or twice per set so that they are scared of that option. (3)
3. No, not worth the risk of missing when you can combo into it. (3)

When are you most likely to go for a gimp (any character)?
1. When I am behind --- AND --- I only consider the percents of the current stocks. (4)
2. When I am ahead --- AND --- When I am even (2).

Falcon Responses.jpg
Falco Responses.jpg
Marth Responses.jpg

Falcon Responses.jpg Falco Responses.jpg Marth Responses.jpg

Last edited:

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
The last question I couldn't answer properly, because I will go for a gimp 100% of the time. It is DK's specialty because he has so many strong options off-stage. Whether I'm up by 3 stocks or down by 3 stocks, I have many gimps I can throw at them and hopefully have them slip up on.

Top Bottom