• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK rest punishes and puff MU discussion

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Was looking at frame data and I made a few rest punishes. Generally you can charge your punch a bit before doing these rest punishes to really get the most out of the situation. At really low %s you can Fair -> dsmash. As her % starts to get higher you want to opt for dair since it has less base KB and just like fair it'l combo into a smash attack. At high % if you have a charged donkey punch the best way to use it is to push her closer to the edge by walking and donkey punching her before she wakes up. Basically this http://gfycat.com/WastefulRemoteGiantschnauzer.

The way i play this MU is that I charge my punch on a platform with my back to puff if she isnt approaching me. From here i can charge cancel shield drop or just shield her aerials. Generally I only hard shield if its completely fresh. After ive shielded once i opt for lightshield using R/L not Z. I know its hard but you get used to it and its essential in this MU along with shield DI. Anyway, if i do hardshield a fair or nair I analog jump towards them and rising bair(which AC) if theyre not too high or low. I think she can only outspace you horizontally with bair but dont quote me on that.

In neutral I space bairs mixing up between SHFFL, AC, and rising bair-> DJ to keep the timing unpredictable. I'll occasionally hit with an ftilit or sometimes if i know they dont have jumps left i'll WD in and downb as they land. I use charged punch to read and punish aerial commitments. CC dsmash works great for kills too when they hit with late AC nairs. I try to get dair when I can so I can get something off of a techchase or even a guaranteed hit on platform techchases(see plup). When i can get grabs i do the usual cargo upthrow-> aerial.

Anything to add? How do you guys play the MU?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Seems pretty on point. I like how DK's Bair can beat her in neutral and she's too slow to stop you from charging your punch.

Oh don't forget Cargo upthrow to Uair is possible (but very hard).

My rest punishes:

Low percent
-Dair, grab, pummel, up throw Uair (if punch not charged)
-Dair, grab, pummel, downthrow punch (already having it charged)

Mid percent
-Charge punch, grab, pummel, downthrow punch
-move her and just Fsmash / Punch lol

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Huh, not sure why i didnt occur to me to grab her after a dair. Also ive found that in general angling DK's shield up and forward covers his body most effectively. Although as I stated before I always lightshield in the puff MU.

Oh don't forget Cargo upthrow to Uair is possible (but very hard).
Yeah i saw you do it against hbox lol

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I had a game against a Jigglypuff recently on stream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgt4FnpdIpU
It didn't go brilliantly, although it was close.

The most interesting thing about it really was that at around 6:40 of the video, I kill Jiggs with a Dthrow into platform techchase fair. The Jiggs was at 110%, so probably too high for a cargo up throw up air.

Another thing is that up b is very useful in the matchup. It can shield poke fairly easily, it can trade with aerials (just DI down and tech if it does).

For landing Cargo upthrow double jump up air, I don't think it's guaranteed if they DI out. However, if you turn around before the throw, they'd DI in, so you can get it. I don't know when this combo kills, but if you notice he's not mashing out you can jump to a higher platform before the throw, decreasing the distance to the kill zone.
Just make sure you don't jump before the throw, you won't make it.

Stages: Anything with platforms. I don't think FD is ever good for DK, neither is Pokemon Stadium. I think you want Jigglypuff to be above you as often as possible. This is because DK's up air is amazing, and it's easier to get the first hitbox of aerial up b if you ever wanted to approach with that.

Depressing things: I've had Jigglypuffs take every hit of my up air deliberately so they can SDI in and rest when the move is over. It's probably not a good idea to up b a puff if they're aware of this.

Does anyone know the percentages where dthrow giant punch is guaranteed?

Top Bottom