• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Matchup Chart?

Tea Man

Smash Rookie
NNID
TeaMan99
3DS FC
2406-5404-2496
Could the DK community possibly make a match up chart for DK showing all of his match ups. Basically what I vision this being is a chart showing all of his match ups in relation to the other characters in Sm4sh.

Green- Amazing Match up

Yellow- Neutral Match up
Orange- Slightly against his favor however not impossible
Red- Strongly against DK's favor.

The chart could have the color of the match up, a brief description on how to play the match up (EX: DK vs Mac: Use down B to cover little mac's options and go for grabs near the ledge.)

Also a extra Bonus would be to include the Ding Dong percents for character.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
I'd be interested in doing this as well. Perhaps we could *expand* the ratings a bit more as well: Amazing MU (80-20), Very Good MU (70-30), Good MU (60-40), Even MU (50-50), Bad MU (40-60), Very Bad MU (30-70), Terrible MU (20-80).

Tea Man

Smash Rookie
NNID
TeaMan99
3DS FC
2406-5404-2496
I'd be interested in doing this as well. Perhaps we could *expand* the ratings a bit more as well: Amazing MU (80-20), Very Good MU (70-30), Good MU (60-40), Even MU (50-50), Bad MU (40-60), Very Bad MU (30-70), Terrible MU (20-80).
Yeah I'm trying to push the DK discord group to help with this but I'm not sure if they are interested or not

Last edited:

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
Should I give my opinion about DK and his match ups and and maybe why it's a bad/good match up?

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
Yeah that would be amazing!
So for starters, I main Mario, and my experience vs DK match up with Mario are on may favor because it's difficult for DK to escape his combos and he actually slow. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but DK will have to rely on knowing how to read and not be so predictable. And avoid getting grabbed.

So Mario vs DK
(75-25) Very Bad Match Up
But it's still possible.

Shammonx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shammon
So for starters, I main Mario, and my experience vs DK match up with Mario are on may favor because it's difficult for DK to escape his combos and he actually slow. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but DK will have to rely on knowing how to read and not be so predictable. And avoid getting grabbed.

So Mario vs DK
(75-25) Very Bad Match Up
But it's still possible.
LOL, not even close to accurate. Have you seen high end players play this match?

Most high end DK players agree this is slightly in DK's advantage. So does Anti, arguably the second best Mario there is.

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
LOL, not even close to accurate. Have you seen high end players play this match?

Most high end DK players agree this is slightly in DK's advantage. So does Anti, arguably the second best Mario there is.
Your basing this on player skill, but thats not what this is, it based on the characters that have a better chance of actually winning. Lets say for example a Shiek vs Little Mac, sure both top players could be really good, but for course shiek wins the match up. And thats how, in this case, we are basing DK on that.

Shammonx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shammon
Your basing this on player skill, but thats not what this is, it based on the characters that have a better chance of actually winning. Lets say for example a Shiek vs Little Mac, sure both top players could be really good, but for course shiek wins the match up. And thats how, in this case, we are basing DK on that.
Ally is a better and more consistent smash player than DKwill, so I don't see how that's even applicable.

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
In my opinion, I see Little Mac alteast being +1 because of his speed and super armor which make him powerful. And his combo potential and the Ko making him capable of winning, but those are just my thoughts

SexyUnicorn

Smash Rookie
I agree with rosa and luma and zss being super negitive matchups, but as for shiek i feel she is either -1 or maybe even 0. In a perfect world where shiek plays the neutral exactly perfect, then yes. But she doesnt have good kill options without reads and dk is super heavy. Plus dk can match her damage in just a few hits vs like 8 as shiek. Even at the highest level, dk will and old mtk can take a shiek pretty handely.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
wat do against lil macs? like bait his dash attacks and smashes and punish with grabs? and what are more favorable stages do you think? i'd imagine lylat right

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Didn't Larry Lurr say something about the Sheik MU being in DKs favor? I can see it happening like he's going to consistently live past max rage and he can kill her at like 40. Not sure, just my input on it

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Just my rough draft opinion of DK's MU spread currently, for now, after 1.1.5 nerfs/buffs. Thought it'd be easier to just post this than respond with all my differences to the one above. It's not all that specific, just categorized as -2 through +2.

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Here's something I whipped up really quick. Lemme know what you guys think, and I'll make an updated one later.
Why do you think that DK has a +2 matchup against Mii Gunner? Gunner wins the neutral easily with shorthop fair, and Gunner can combo and juggle DK pretty well due to his size. In addition, Gunner's long ranged moves and projectiles are great for edgeguarding DK. It is not worse than even for Mii Gunner since Gunner can also kill Donkey Kong from a grab at around 120% by using up throw or Down throw to up air after a DI read (Gunner can also get the kill by following a DK's DI at later percentages).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally from my experiences playing dk, I felt the 3 hardest matchups where 1) sonic, 2) diddy, 3) yoshi.

I'd love to hear what others dk mains have to say about his top 3 worsts. Truly sonic needs to go die in a hole in the the bottom of the sea.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
If you guys haven't seen it, DKwill shared his own matchup chart on twitter here. I agree with most of it. I disagree on Kirby being +2, since Kirby is hard to hit since, unlike Jigglypuff, Kirby can actually approach from the ground and has really strong throw combos and offstage game. The gap to hit the Ding Dong is also very small, and landing a kill move can be tough, although will kill early. I'd also say the advantage versus Little Mac should be higher like +2. One last thing I'd change would be Peach to -1 since the Ding Dong connects for like 1% can she combos DK really well, and can edge-guard him well too. Nothing else seems outstanding to me - pretty accurate imo.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
If you guys haven't seen it, DKwill shared his own matchup chart on twitter here. I agree with most of it. I disagree on Kirby being +2, since Kirby is hard to hit since, unlike Jigglypuff, Kirby can actually approach from the ground and has really strong throw combos and offstage game. The gap to hit the Ding Dong is also very small, and landing a kill move can be tough, although will kill early. I'd also say the advantage versus Little Mac should be higher like +2. One last thing I'd change would be Peach to -1 since the Ding Dong connects for like 1% can she combos DK really well, and can edge-guard him well too. Nothing else seems outstanding to me - pretty accurate imo.
Looks pretty good. I have some disagreements but he's DKwill and I'm....well...not.

Surprised he thinks DHD is -2. Annoying projectiles but incredibly easy to edgeguard and can't kill DK to save his life.

Why is Fox up there with Rosa and ZSS? Was thinking -1 or -2. Sure DK gets combo'ed all day but Fox falls so fast and is so light he gets ding donged forever. Not to mention very edguardable.

Surprised that Cloud is only -1, seems worse. Landing is so difficult and DK even gets edgeguarded pretty hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom