• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DJC Magnet shenanigans

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So I recenetly realized DJC to PSI Magnet actually exists in Ultimate (should’ve realized earlier because of the amount of times I’ve seen it). It’s a really useful tech and mix up and it’s basically right after your second jump you use magnet and either angle forwards or backwards and you’ll move in that direction. I’m still working on getting consistent with it and the timing is kinda right but for anybody like me who didn’t realize this was a thing this info may be useful. If you watch BestNess especially he uses it a lot

Just thought there should be a topic on this. We can make this a Ness tech thread too

Bcinq

Smash Rookie
This technique can be used to do psi magnet-any aerial(in depth about dair below). this lets you fade out and in more easily and combo more aggressively.
also depending on when you hit the psi magnet and how fast your opponents recovery is (does not work on characters with fast aerials or up bs like mario and lucina/marth) you can combo into dair. really hard to pull off tho.
also about how we name this technique
Wouldn't that be using psi magnet to cancel your double jump? as DJC is a different technique exclusive to some characters that sends the user down while doing a aerial in Melee/64 and Lucas can DJC using zair in SSBU.
I think This should be called Magnet DJC.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
This technique can be used to do psi magnet-any aerial(in depth about dair below). this lets you fade out and in more easily and combo more aggressively.
also depending on when you hit the psi magnet and how fast your opponents recovery is (does not work on characters with fast aerials or up bs like mario and lucina/marth) you can combo into dair. really hard to pull off tho.
also about how we name this technique
Wouldn't that be using psi magnet to cancel your double jump? as DJC is a different technique exclusive to some characters that sends the user down while doing a aerial in Melee/64 and Lucas can DJC using zair in SSBU.
I think This should be called Magnet DJC.
Yeah I’m down with that name. I’ve never tried doing it into spike but it seems cool if I can get the timing down

BlindTheThief

Smash Rookie
PSI Magnet DJC is such a dope tech. I've been trying to practice it but no results yet. I'm trying to perform it from standing still (Stand still > Short Hop > DJ > Psi Magnet) and I only get Ness to travel a very short distance. Sometimes on rare occasions I have gotten him to travel farther. When doing the input for PSI Magnet, I should only move the control stick in one direction (down-slightly angled towards where I want to go), correct?

NewtFruit

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
7060-7028-0830
I'm trying to perform it from standing still (Stand still > Short Hop > DJ > Psi Magnet) and I only get Ness to travel a very short distance. Sometimes on rare occasions I have gotten him to travel farther.
If you want to cover more horizontal distance with your DJC, you'll need to make sure that you have *some* horizontal momentum mid-air when you input the double jump. If you're falling straight down when you input the DJ > Magnet you'll just get a slight upwards-forwards bounce. You don't actually need a whole bunch of momentum though, even holding forward for the single frame you input double jump on is enough to noticeably increase horizontal distance.

When doing the input for PSI Magnet, I should only move the control stick in one direction (down-slightly angled towards where I want to go), correct?
This depends on what exactly you're trying to do. The most "standard" way to do a DJC Magnet would be SH > DJ > Down(& slightly forward)B. Which will boost you forward without screwing with Ness's orientation. Other variations exist though, like SH > DJ > Down(& slightly backward)B, called a turnaround DJC magnet, which would boost you in the direction you were facing during the SH and DJ, but which would also swap the direction Ness is facing so that if the magnet connects you can more easily follow up with a Bair.

B-Reverse and Wavebounce DJC Magnet shenanigans are possible and useful, but they're not really as Bread n Butter as standard and turnaround DJCM. The vast majority of my personal B-Reversing is with non-DJC magnets to fake out an opponent trying to juggle or edgeguard me, or to keep my movement on/around platforms wacky, ambiguous, and evasive.

Last edited:

BlindTheThief

Smash Rookie
If you want to cover more horizontal distance with your DJC, you'll need to make sure that you have *some* horizontal momentum mid-air when you input the double jump. If you're falling straight down when you input the DJ > Magnet you'll just get a slight upwards-forwards bounce. You don't actually need a whole bunch of momentum though, even holding forward for the single frame you input double jump on is enough to noticeably increase horizontal distance.
Thanks for telling me that I need some horizontal momentum. By holding the control stick forward at the beginning of the DJ, I got Ness to travel farther! I'm also able to do a turnaround DJCM and it's dope! I just need to work on making sure I can input the correct commands 100% of the time.

Last edited:

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
VIDEO PLEASE (performance and uses)

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
VIDEO PLEASE (performance and uses)
BestNess is making one I don’t think there’s any guides out there now. If you watch any pro Ness matches tho when they’re gliding in magnet that’s DJC

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
BestNess is making one I don’t think there’s any guides out there now. If you watch any pro Ness matches tho when they’re gliding in magnet that’s DJC
Figured out how it works, got the buttons on lock, its also great for pk fire wavebounces. Still need to find more applications and integrate into my gameplay. Bestness original guide is awesome tho

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
If you aren't using tap jump, this is pretty hard to do fast. You will need to either double tap a jump button fast, or slide a thumb from X to Y. With tap jump, you can quickly press up then down (and hold) while pressing a jump button then pressing B. Try it in slow motion, first.

You can get away with a lot of things if you master this. Especially the ultimate PK Fire spam... PK Fire -> Magnet. Magnet sets you up to use PK Fire again, even if they were about to jump out. You get to chase them.

This was pioneered by none other than the one and only:

hikasan hikasan

Top Bottom