• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DJC has returned, or has it?

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Do we really know though. One dude said it, but I haven’t seen it so far in any footage. If it is back, that’s very hype

Uffe

Smash Hero
False. At 1:03 of this video, Ness' second jump is cancelled by the Pokeball, which is exactly what happens in Sm4sh when Ness throws an item while using his second jump at the same time. At 2:50 of the video, Ness does a full uair.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
False. At 1:03 of this video, Ness' second jump is cancelled by the Pokeball, which is exactly what happens in Sm4sh when Ness throws an item while using his second jump at the same time. At 2:50 of the video, Ness does a full uair.
That's what I thought. I don't think he has it at all.

McCadi

Smash Rookie
Interesting. I hope that item cancel doesn't equate to no DJC. I found a thread talking about it here as well:

https://aminoapps.com/c/smash/page/blog/ness-can-djc/j2fK_u80r6qBXGz3VBkpeMG2p58Rj

A guy named OLM claims

"According to people in the comments its a half way between the two. If you attack on the first few frames it becomes a DJC, after which its a rising aerial."

However I am curious what source they are using. Let's see if we can find any demo footage of it.....

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Interesting. I hope that item cancel doesn't equate to no DJC. I found a thread talking about it here as well:

https://aminoapps.com/c/smash/page/blog/ness-can-djc/j2fK_u80r6qBXGz3VBkpeMG2p58Rj

A guy named OLM claims

"According to people in the comments its a half way between the two. If you attack on the first few frames it becomes a DJC, after which its a rising aerial."

However I am curious what source they are using. Let's see if we can find any demo footage of it.....
I personally would be against the idea of giving Ness his DJC back. It's a flawed mechanic, because it causes Ness' second jump to be cut as soon as he uses an aerial, which would be horrible for him if he were to try to recover against an opponent who forces him to fight back. Think of it like Little Mac in Sm4sh. Once you get him off stage, he will do whatever it takes to make it back, even if that means trying to use his counter in hopes the opponent hits him.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I personally would be against the idea of giving Ness his DJC back. It's a flawed mechanic, because it causes Ness' second jump to be cut as soon as he uses an aerial, which would be horrible for him if he were to try to recover against an opponent who forces him to fight back. Think of it like Little Mac in Sm4sh. Once you get him off stage, he will do whatever it takes to make it back, even if that means trying to use his counter in hopes the opponent hits him.
It's funny. DJC is a really cool and fun tool for Ness, but it also somewhat gimps him, and likely makes his off-stage game even worse than it already is.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Sorry lads/lasses, I don't think DJC aerials are in this game.
Whole thing appears to be based on a misunderstanding by Sinji: https://twitter.com/Sinji93/status/1008861138891788288
Scroll up in this Twitter thread and it appears that Sinji thought he saw Mewtwo do a djc FAir, but in the Tweet linked, he corrects himself with what he actually saw - cancelling Shadow Ball's charge with a double jump. This is a new mechanic to this game so it's not unreasonable for somebody to see this and confuse the two.

You may also notice that the original Tweet that this thread was a response to has since been deleted.

The thing about having to input DJ + aerial in a specific frame window to get a DJC also appears to be based on something Sinji said: https://twitter.com/Sinji93/status/1008850565634428928
Therefore, I feel we must remain sceptical of this too.

Considering that nobody else has reported nor recorded DJC from the demo despite there being two demo characters that can allegedly use it (Ness and Mewtwo) and I think that until clear evidence surfaces to the contrary, we have to assume that the whole thing is a misconception and there are no DJC aerials in Ultimate.

Not gonna lie, this is a bit of a kick in the balls - I briefly got excited about how much better Ness' neutral would have been with DJC and things like the new nair he has and other cool applications of DJC. Would also have been a nice way to freshen up the character as well and make him so much deeper than he ever could be without it.

Ah well.

McCadi

Smash Rookie
Sorry lads/lasses, I don't think DJC aerials are in this game.
Whole thing appears to be based on a misunderstanding by Sinji: https://twitter.com/Sinji93/status/1008861138891788288
Scroll up in this Twitter thread and it appears that Sinji thought he saw Mewtwo do a djc FAir, but in the Tweet linked, he corrects himself with what he actually saw - cancelling Shadow Ball's charge with a double jump. This is a new mechanic to this game so it's not unreasonable for somebody to see this and confuse the two.

You may also notice that the original Tweet that this thread was a response to has since been deleted.

The thing about having to input DJ + aerial in a specific frame window to get a DJC also appears to be based on something Sinji said: https://twitter.com/Sinji93/status/1008850565634428928
Therefore, I feel we must remain sceptical of this too.

Considering that nobody else has reported nor recorded DJC from the demo despite there being two demo characters that can allegedly use it (Ness and Mewtwo) and I think that until clear evidence surfaces to the contrary, we have to assume that the whole thing is a misconception and there are no DJC aerials in Ultimate.

Not gonna lie, this is a bit of a kick in the balls - I briefly got excited about how much better Ness' neutral would have been with DJC and things like the new nair he has and other cool applications of DJC. Would also have been a nice way to freshen up the character as well and make him so much deeper than he ever could be without it.

Ah well.
Good find, that’s disappointing to see. Here’s to hoping we find out more in the coming weeks. I think DJC would be a great treat considering a lot of the old familiar ness moves are gone or changing. (Reliable down air spike gone in sm4sh, up air changed in ultimate, pk fire Nerf ). Change can be good though, let’s hope Sakurai throws us a bone here...

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Good find, that’s disappointing to see. Here’s to hoping we find out more in the coming weeks. I think DJC would be a great treat considering a lot of the old familiar ness moves are gone or changing. (Reliable down air spike gone in sm4sh, up air changed in ultimate, pk fire Nerf ). Change can be good though, let’s hope Sakurai throws us a bone here...
He sort of has in a way. Up smash is now a more reliable kill move for example

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
If this optional djc that only works at the beginning of a doublejump really IS in the game then that's super exciting for me. I'm not a fan of the PM-style optional djc, so this might be more to my liking.

McCadi

Smash Rookie
He sort of has in a way. Up smash is now a more reliable kill move for example
Looking back on the videos that's true...it will be weird getting used to that XD

If this optional djc that only works at the beginning of a doublejump really IS in the game then that's super exciting for me. I'm not a fan of the PM-style optional djc, so this might be more to my liking.
I would love that, I'll take any form at this point. But more than anything I hope the spike is more reliable! Spikes are my favorite part about this game! haha. Anyone know of any incoming demos/etc we can spy on for DJC? Doesn't look like we will get anything else for a while.

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Looking back on the videos that's true...it will be weird getting used to that XD

I would love that, I'll take any form at this point. But more than anything I hope the spike is more reliable! Spikes are my favorite part about this game! haha. Anyone know of any incoming demos/etc we can spy on for DJC? Doesn't look like we will get anything else for a while.
The only upcoming event I am aware of is this event in the UK next month, which is something at least.
As for the spike on Ness' DAir, it's definitely better... in the current build, anyway. You can see right at the very end of this game that Squirtle just disappears at like 40%. Squirtle's obviously (read: probably) one of the lightest characters in the game but that velocity at 40% is promising and a lot better than what we got in Smash 4!

McCadi

Smash Rookie
The only upcoming event I am aware of is this event in the UK next month, which is something at least.
As for the spike on Ness' DAir, it's definitely better... in the current build, anyway. You can see right at the very end of this game that Squirtle just disappears at like 40%. Squirtle's obviously (read: probably) one of the lightest characters in the game but that velocity at 40% is promising and a lot better than what we got in Smash 4!
Nice, it even spikes off to the left, you can see squirtles shell on the bottom left of the hitbox:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bJ-Qxy8EAvyhcCTtBknzmndFQHgYtzJo/view?usp=sharing

And here can see the cloud trail coming from a decent angle and it still spikes:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11LzbxeJJpMKRO33CcVbX97CvfBaZ03hA/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Top Bottom