• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

All true. Having grown up with DK64 like the Rare DKC's, can confirm it was universally loved until you started having revisionism that spawned from the bad game design video and such. I get some not liking the game because too many collectibles, but to say it was to blame for like the death of platformers/3D platforms at the time is reaching higher than even Lanky's arms can extend.

Back to DKC2 though, yeah, going through it 2 player on NSO made me much more appreciative of the Kong balance when compared to the first one. It's like night and day.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

All true. Having grown up with DK64 like the Rare DKC's, can confirm it was universally loved until you started having revisionism that spawned from the bad game design video and such. I get some not liking the game because too many collectibles, but to say it was to blame for like the death of platformers/3D platforms at the time is reaching higher than even Lanky's arms can extend.

Back to DKC2 though, yeah, going through it 2 player on NSO made me much more appreciative of the Kong balance when compared to the first one. It's like night and day.
You mean Snoman Gaming's vid? That came out 4 years ago. People had that opinion as early as 2005 IIRC. What Snoman said certainly wasn't new by 2016 stabdards. People turning against DK happened shortly after Rare going to Xbox.

Yea '64 has charm, but it's more Banjo-Kazooie than DK flavor. Everything has googly eyes and some of the settings felt lifted from BK. The DK Rap is intentionally corny and that's A-Ok, but King Kut Out was Rare leaning on the 4th Wall like in BK. They're telegraphing to us that they ran out of time/budget for a legit boss so here's the jpeg of K. Rool's official art to fight.

It's definitely not the death of platformers though and I can't believe people thought that it was. It's like the PS2 Platformers of Jak, Sly, Ratchet, Prince of Persia and Sunshine, Galaxy and Rayman 3 never existed in their minds which indicates to me they don't know what they're talking about. Ratchet, Jak and Sly total 9 high profile platformers of the PS2; add Prince of Persia's 3 games plus Banjo-Tooie, Sunshine, Galaxy and modest success of Rayman 3 and Tak's duology, plus cult classics like Psychonauts or Conker and you have at least 20 well-received platformers following DK64. Not to mention at least 4 Sonic platformers (2 Adventures, Heroes and...2006), 2 mediocre Crash and 4 Spyro games (loved Twinsanity though), Ratchet's 5 PS3 platformers and you have dozens of 3D Platformers trickling out from 2000 to 2013.

Like don't get me wrong, I don't wanna play through DK64 again but it's not the Sonic '06 of the 1990s. I'm surprised this is a thing lol.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Feel like it's ducking the criticism of the game by talking so much about this "killed the platformer/collectathon" point. I don't believe it did that.

But as a big DKC fan, DK64 just did not live up to the DKC trilogy.

Slow and plodding gameplay where DKC was fast and rhythmic.
Tons of "annoying" bits like having to collect coins while racing down a slide. The minigames in general just hurt to play.
Garish where DKC was more muted in looks, colors, and music.

It gave us Lanky, Tiny, Chunky, K. Rool's cutscenes, at least. And a darn fun multiplayer.

But hard for me to show too much love to it without feeling like I have to add a big "but". Huge disappointment.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The whole turning against DK or Rare in general as soon as Rare went to Xbox never really felt genuine to me. I wasn't even thinking of that. Never saw that much criticism for DK64 though particularly until the 2010's at least, not that I put it up there with the DKC trilogy either. lol But fair enough.

I've probably replayed 64 more than most since I'm a sucker for certain kinds of collectathons, but even I get kinda fatigued easily by DK64, usually by the 4th world at least. Only a couple of the minigames really hurt for me to play, namely Beaver Bother and Minecart Mayhem. Guess it helped I already had plenty prior DK arcade experience when it came to the arcade thing on Frantic Factory, so I was helping friends beat that on their game. Some of the racing bits while collection coins was definitely not fun though I'll admit.

Despite the shortcomings of 64, another 3D DK one day of some kind would definitely be nice depending on the style, but not sure if it'll ever happen. Fine if they just play it safe by sticking to sidescrolling if nothing else regardless of what team picks up DK next after Retro, but just one of those things we fans be pondering for years.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel like people "turning against DK64" was really more the result of people eventually realizing that the game, you know, just wasn't that good.

Like people were originally impressed by how big and content packed DK64 was when it first came out, but over time people eventually realized that most of that content just wasn't very good, and hell, I've seen tons of people say that they never liked DK64 even when it first released. All of this was happening way before Snoman Gaming's vid.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
So is Dixie Kong getting revealed tomorrow? Probably not. Though it is weird how DKC2 hit Switch last week, Nintendo just published a Donkey Kong history article on the Switch at the same exact time as the Smash Bros. Fighter 7 announcement and Funky and Dixie are back in the pipe this week in Mario Kart Tour..hmmm..

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
New announcement is TOMORROW. It can literally be anyone, I won't expect Dixie, but who knows? :ultridley: fans didn't realistically expect him when he was actually revealed.

Those are great points ! However I feel that Diddy's way of holding barrels is also good for certain boss fights, especially the first one, Krow. I also always fought K.Rool with Diddy. I think a lot has to do with habits however. Diddy does seem to climb much faster too.
Diddy does indeed climb faster, although, you can theorically jump in the ropes like you do with the Honey walls with both Kongs, which equalizes the climbing speed and it's faster, but that's not something a normal player would do without practice xD.
About the first boss, the way Dixie grabs barrels actually let's you hit Krow before he even attempts to charge at you. Just jump with the egg or throw the barrel upwards and Krow will get hit in both boss battles.
Krow.jpg
Ghost Krow.jpg

About DK64. playing that game as a kid would have been a god send, imagine having all the time in the world to retry the Bonus levels, to explore the worlds with each and every character without feeling burnt out. The sentiment of DK64 being TOO big for its own good already existed way before that "Bad Game Design" video. But I can still appreciate how good DK64 is despite its troubled and rushed development. That game is literally held together by a frail tape and glue LMAO. Breaking it is laughably easy.

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
So is Dixie Kong getting revealed tomorrow? Probably not. Though it is weird how DKC2 hit Switch last week, Nintendo just published a Donkey Kong history article on the Switch at the same exact time as the Smash Bros. Fighter 7 announcement and Funky and Dixie are back in the pipe this week in Mario Kart Tour..hmmm..
I didn't find the article you're talking about, where can I find it?
I have zero faith in a Dixie reveal tomorrow, by the way.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I didn't find the article you're talking about, where can I find it?
I have zero faith in a Dixie reveal tomorrow, by the way.
Its on the Switch news feed. Kremling Kampaigner tweeted about it.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as DK64 I think one aspect that's affected its reputation in hindsight is the legacy (or lack thereof) in how it was followed up with. Mario has had numerous 3D entries since 64 and they've all drawn comparisons with it, thus keeping it both relevant and still liked given what it did well (with Mario Sunshine often compared with how it did and didn't improve on the former). Banjo-Kazooie had both Tooie and Nuts and Bolts, and the respective assessments of both games have often made people even more appreciative of what BK did as a title.

DK64 though is essentially an island onto itself. The immediate follow-ups were focused around the Bongo controllers and in the case of Jungle Beat, 2D beat em up/platforming. Returns and Tropical Freeze of course were a harkening back to the SNES trilogy and even two decades after release 3D Donkey Kong has essentially never come back, let alone one in the form of direct 64 sequel. Even the elements introduced in it have largely been forgotten outside Smash for the most part.

As a result, between sharing a system with two very beloved 64 platformers in Mario and Banjo-Kazooie, and having no real successors to compare/contrast with, the game's idiosyncrasies and flaws have become more magnified over time. In the minds of some its become a game where what was going for was done belter elsewhere, and that long term its not a title that feels as crucial to the series' impact as something like the original DKC or even DKC2.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
OMG reading this has made me anxious for tomorrow. I was out of the loop until now. Don't give me hope...!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The replies also nominated some great choices.

I vote for the one that takes place in K. Rool's Submarine in the last tweet.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Remember to hype responsibly everyone. I gotta take care of an appointment IRL around the time of the Direct, and while I'd LOVE to log in to news of Dixie's debut, I'll be going dark until then.

I'm very excited though. Crash Bandicoot 4 was gonna be my video game highlight of the week but if the stars align....

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
As someone who's beaten DK64 100%, I'd say it's a 6/10 by today's standards. Lots of charm and all but it's bloated with crap (broken mini-games, padding and glitches). It's nowhere near as flawless as the 2D main games in the series, though I'd love to see another attempt at a DK 3D collectathon.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Remember to hype responsibly everyone. I gotta take care of an appointment IRL around the time of the Direct, and while I'd LOVE to log in to news of Dixie's debut, I'll be going dark until then.

I'm very excited though. Crash Bandicoot 4 was gonna be my video game highlight of the week but if the stars align....
I have a dating around that time too, but actually I postponed it to the next hour to see the reveal...

Anyway, so the fact that Nintendo already somewhat recaped DK (and Dixie, at the time of her inclusion in MKTour) history makes it not so necessarily to do the usual presentation, with character' history included, by Sakurai? Is it the reason why we will have just the reveal trailer, tomorrow?

Yeah, I don't believe it, but it's a nice and relieving thought to think...

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Dixie Kong is always on the table as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not always right in the middle of the table. Maybe she's pushed into a corner and hanging off the side by her pinky toe that she may or may not have depending on which design she's using. But she's still on the table!

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Minecraft has never been a thing that attracted me, so I'll probably pass on buying Steve. Can you imagine if he was added before :ultbanjokazooie:, what a different reaction we would be seeing (And not a good one).

The part with the Nintendo higher-up "with glasses" sounded intriguing. Both ARMS and Minecraft sound like promotional picks when you look at it now.
And Nintendo looooves to promote Donkey Kong so much right?

Spatman

Smash Ace
well, I think it is the definitive nail in Dixie's coffin. Now we can't realistically expect, or also hope, Dixie is in, now that we received another piece to build the puzzle of Nintendo way to choose dlc characters. It's very sad, and the awareness we won't ever have Dixie in Smash (let alone this particular chapter: yes, at this point I'm THAT pessimistic) makes my will to play smash goes down down down...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
While I'm not holding my breath for Dixie, Banjo's reveal signalled the death of Master Chief and Steve in the eyes of many. Steve still made it in, but givem that we all assumed Microsoft would only get 1, this is a surprise.

I'm not confident in Dixie's chances but it ain't over til we get the final reveal.

Toady

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrToadigerr
3DS FC
3480-2729-9032
Switch FC
SW-4465-1459-3015
Holding out hope now more than ever for Dixie. Always thought her best chances were as a base game character, but with all the DK stuff seemingly being built up to (there HAS to be a new game next year), I really think she's got a shot for one of the slots. I'm happy with Steve since he 1000% deserved it, but I'm also getting tired of third parties. I just want Dixie and Bandana Dee and it's hard not to feel discouraged by the fact that every DLC sort of feels like it has to be some groundbreaking new addition or else it's not hype to a lot of people.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Minecraft has never been a thing that attracted me, so I'll probably pass on buying Steve. Can you imagine if he was added before :ultbanjokazooie:, what a different reaction we would be seeing (And not a good one).

The part with the Nintendo higher-up "with glasses" sounded intriguing. Both ARMS and Minecraft sound like promotional picks when you look at it now.
And Nintendo looooves to promote Donkey Kong so much right?
Yeah same here. This will be the first time where I won't buy a pack. I just don't care for Steve or Minecraft in the slightest. I still hoping for Dixie considering if Nintendo is promoting more DK as of late.

Top Bottom