• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also one other point Dixie isn't as popular as she honestly should be is that people seem to only care about 3rd party characters at this point. They are the dominant point of Smash speculation at the moment. Every 1st party character is considered "Safe and boring" by many unless you're Bandana Dee (mostly due to Japan) or Waluigi (because memes). I've seen people dismiss both Byleth and Min-Min as "boring 1st parties that should've been on the base roster or waited until Smash 6" as they see these 1st party characters as "wasted DLC slots that could've gone to my *insert my 3rd party character of choice here!*" Byleth got a lot of hate in particular but that's because people viewed him/her as just another "blue-haired anime FE swordsman to add to the already huge FE roster". Min-Min/ARMS character announcement on the other hand most people seemed luke warm on but eventually warmed up to once they played her/saw her in action. But she also was victim to "Ugghh another 1st party character!? Why do you keep adding Nintendo characters to your Nintendo published fighter about Nintendo characters fighting Nintendo!? WHY!? No one cares about ARMS!!" So if by miracle Dixie is one of the chosen Fighters pass 2 characters expect to hear a lot of the same moaning and complaining other 1st party DLC characters have gotten.
I remember a poster somewhere making the claim that the Smash fanbase recently can be summed up by those who were spoiled by :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: vs those spoiled by :ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry:, and yeah, there is definitely some truth to that statement.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I remember a poster somewhere making the claim that the Smash fanbase recently can be summed up by those who were spoiled by :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: vs those spoiled by :ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry:, and yeah, there is definitely some truth to that statement.
Damn! Ain't that the truth. It's hardcore request fans vs causal fans basically.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dixie falls more in the former group of character support of hardcore gaming historians I guess, while the latter character group is the supportbase of casual dudebros or whatever who mostly just want to see their favorite 3rd parties crossover with something.

Both groups are valid, but it’s annoying having to see people of one group attack the characters or taste of the other group. I suppose it’s due to being an East vs West kind of thing in part, but it’s a testament to how more diverse Smash has become now.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dixie falls more in the former group of character support of hardcore gaming historians I guess, while the latter character group is the supportbase of casual dudebros or whatever who mostly just want to see their favorite 3rd parties crossover with something.

Both groups are valid, but it’s annoying having to see people of one group attack the characters or taste of the other group. I suppose it’s due to being an East vs West kind of thing in part, but it’s a testament to how more diverse Smash has become now.

I kinda wonder if this is only exasperated further with casuals claiming/implying that most of "hardcore fan demands" end up being "boring characters that are easily forgotten/moved on from after they're release, and attributing most of the toxicity seen in the speculation community towards them - hence why the latter group's keeping on bringing the fans in the former group down as they're biased against Nintendo still having "good first party characters" left. Seems at least prevalent on Twitter, which I've been hanging out lately, especially in the comments of this following tweet:

Last edited:

donkeykong_downunder

Smash Rookie
Cheers for the shout out BirthNote, looks like I'll have to up my game and feature Dixie a bit more with the merch and stuff. Will see what i have...

I tend to post once a week so if you like keep an eye out, follow, etc it is appreciated.

Something from a few months ago...

http://instagr.am/p/B_wVSW9pvTc/
Always good to see her and DKC in general front and centre!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I kinda wonder if this is only exasperated further with casuals claiming/implying that most of "hardcore fan demands" end up being "boring characters that are easily forgotten/moved on from after they're release, and attributing most of the toxicity seen in the speculation community towards them - hence why the latter group's keeping on bringing the fans in the former group down as they're biased against Nintendo still having "good first party characters" left. Seems at least prevalent on Twitter, which I've been hanging out lately, especially in the comments of this following tweet:

If it makes you feel better, Rare Their Chances actually hold them in high regard. Numbers in an arbitrary game don't mean much (RTC, not Smash) but what i meant by this is that there was a LOT more discussion about Dixie and Dee than there was of any other Third Party character in that thread..........outside of maybe Saber (and that attention WAS NOT POSITIVE) I think is that people do want more NINTENDO characters, but certain members of the "Community"
gatekeep them because "MUH THIRD PARTY HYPE". Which is funny, those same users probably complained about Nintendo "gatekeepers" in Smash 4 days (when the "CELEBEATION ABOUT GAMIG" loudmoths were barely prominent) turns out they were no different from the people they complained about.

and just to bump this thread, let me just make a meme (i can't use paint or photoshop, anyone willing to turn this into an image please help)

THE VIRGIN THIRD PARTY (*Insert Saber, Master Chief, etc here*):
-Weren't even allowed until Brawl.
-Were, are and always will be a minority compared to Smash's EXTRA LARGE Nintendo roster.
-Took until 4 for a company to get more than 1 rep, and took until Ultimate for a 3rd party franchise to get more than 1 rep.
-Are expected by a major part of the community nowadays, a no no in Sakurai's wild ride.
-Are not always affiliated with Nintendo which means filthy invaders can infiltrate Smash and ruin it from the inside.
-Costs **** ton of money due to licensing and all that jazz.
-Twitter likes them (which is a bad thing)
-Represent franchises that the hardcore Smash fans don't give a flying crap about.
-People only give a **** about them when they get a game ported to the Switch (despite it not really beign important in the long run)
-Usually are gritty dudebro garbage or d-tier anime wannabe.
-Nintendo lost a franchise in the hands of a third party, which was destroyed and left as a bleeding corpse (Banjo-Kazooie)

THE CHAD FIRST PARTY (*Insert Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, Karate Joe, Waluigi, etc here*):
-Were in the beggining of Smash's inception in 1999, with 64 and Melee beign called "NINTENDO ALL STAR".
-Are always the major focus of the newcomer roster: EXTRA THICC.
-Could get multiple rep since 64 (Mario and Pokémon) and beyond (6 Pokémon in Brawl, 8 FE Chars in Ultimate)
-Are unexpected by a large part of the community nowadays, a fetish in Sakurai's wild ride.
-Are always 100% Nintendo (DUH), which means will make Smash's DNA pure and avoid filthy invaders and outsiders.
-Much less expensive and Sakurai doesn't have to bother about negotiations with large companies.
-Twitter hates them (which is amazing, anything twitter hates is automatically good)
-Always come from franchises that Nintendo fans love and care, from the weebtastic Fire Emblem, DKC which is beloved by Ceral-Eating Boomers, or Metroid, or UnderMother.
-People always care about them no matter how irrelevant they are (SUPER CHAD K.ROOL).
-Are always colorful yet epic, charming and charismatic heroes and villains that go hand in hand with Nintendo's image of games.
-Nintendo aquired a Third Party company and turned them into a great success with their hit title: Xenoblade Chronicles.

and before anyone asks, no i don't have a vendetta against third parties (Simon Belmont was my most wanted for Ultimate), im just meming here. and honestly if anyone takes this seriously (hell, any Virgin Vs Chad meme seriously), im not the guy with problems here.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey so I need to apologize for not jumping in on RTC this time. I kept procrastinating on it and then I went and celebrated 4th of July weekend and tended to other IRL errands. By the time I finished, I'd missed her day by 30 mins. I gave RTC a shoutout in the thread title but I didn't give my take and I'm a little bummed about it. Figured I should speak up for clarity's sake.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I know WatchMojo is a polarizing youtube channel they just made a list of the top 10 best Nintendo games of the century and Tropical Freeze made it at #10. Just thought that was pretty cool even though the list itself is a little too Switch biased for my liking.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hey so I need to apologize for not jumping in on RTC this time. I kept procrastinating on it and then I went and celebrated 4th of July weekend and tended to other IRL errands. By the time I finished, I'd missed her day by 30 mins. I gave RTC a shoutout in the thread title but I didn't give my take and I'm a little bummed about it. Figured I should speak up for clarity's sake.
No big deal, but some helpful advice for next time, remember there is a one hour grace period after the “day ends” post that late ratings are still accepted, assuming they haven’t changed the rules. This isn’t directed at you specifically, but for anyone reading this thread.

Its fine though, we all get caught up in real life obligations and fun, at the end of the day these ratings don’t actually impact Smash directly or anything.

6. After the day ends, participants will have 60 minutes to get final late votes in. After that point votes will no longer be counted. Nominations will be counted until the new day begins.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
No big deal, but some helpful advice for next time, remember there is a one hour grace period after the “day ends” post that late ratings are still accepted, assuming they haven’t changed the rules. This isn’t directed at you specifically, but for anyone reading this thread.

Its fine though, we all get caught up in real life obligations and fun, at the end of the day these ratings don’t actually impact Smash directly or anything.

Ok that's genuinely good to know. Thank you not just for this reply but also giving us the heads up about RTC in the first place. I actually gave it a shoutout because you mentioned it.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If it makes you feel better, Rare Their Chances actually hold them in high regard. Numbers in an arbitrary game don't mean much (RTC, not Smash) but what i meant by this is that there was a LOT more discussion about Dixie and Dee than there was of any other Third Party character in that thread..........outside of maybe Saber (and that attention WAS NOT POSITIVE) I think is that people do want more NINTENDO characters, but certain members of the "Community"
gatekeep them because "MUH THIRD PARTY HYPE". Which is funny, those same users probably complained about Nintendo "gatekeepers" in Smash 4 days (when the "CELEBEATION ABOUT GAMIG" loudmoths were barely prominent) turns out they were no different from the people they complained about.

and just to bump this thread, let me just make a meme (i can't use paint or photoshop, anyone willing to turn this into an image please help)

-Were, are and always will be a minority compared to Smash's EXTRA LARGE Nintendo roster.
-Took until 4 for a company to get more than 1 rep, and took until Ultimate for a 3rd party franchise to get more than 1 rep.
-Are expected by a major part of the community nowadays, a no no in Sakurai's wild ride.
-Are not always affiliated with Nintendo which means filthy invaders can infiltrate Smash and ruin it from the inside.
-Represent franchises that the hardcore Smash fans don't give a flying crap about.
-People only give a **** about them when they get a game ported to the Switch (despite it not really beign important in the long run)
-Nintendo lost a franchise in the hands of a third party, which was destroyed and left as a bleeding corpse (Banjo-Kazooie)

THE CHAD FIRST PARTY (*Insert Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, Karate Joe, Waluigi, etc here*):
-Were in the beggining of Smash's inception in 1999, with 64 and Melee beign called "NINTENDO ALL STAR".
-Could get multiple rep since 64 (Mario and Pokémon) and beyond (6 Pokémon in Brawl, 8 FE Chars in Ultimate)
-Are unexpected by a large part of the community nowadays, a fetish in Sakurai's wild ride.
-Are always 100% Nintendo (DUH), which means will make Smash's DNA pure and avoid filthy invaders and outsiders.
-Much less expensive and Sakurai doesn't have to bother about negotiations with large companies.
-Twitter hates them (which is amazing, anything twitter hates is automatically good)
-Always come from franchises that Nintendo fans love and care, from the weebtastic Fire Emblem, DKC which is beloved by Ceral-Eating Boomers, or Metroid, or UnderMother.
-People always care about them no matter how irrelevant they are (SUPER CHAD K.ROOL).
-Are always colorful yet epic, charming and charismatic heroes and villains that go hand in hand with Nintendo's image of games.
-Nintendo aquired a Third Party company and turned them into a great success with their hit title: Xenoblade Chronicles.

and before anyone asks, no i don't have a vendetta against third parties (Simon Belmont was my most wanted for Ultimate), im just meming here. and honestly if anyone takes this seriously (hell, any Virgin Vs Chad meme seriously), im not the guy with problems here.
How's this?
chad virgin.jpg

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

As the thread runner for RTC, I feel this is a half truth of sorts.

Yes plenty of third parties don’t generate that much discussion. But fan favorites do. Just as fan faces like Dixie generate discussion as well. Just as crapshoots like Bubsy would get no real discussion, so would mediocre first party choices like Kiddy Kong or Owain.

Essentially, having that much discussion was due to two very popular first parties, but there was a ton of discussion for other chars, including third parties.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
While I know WatchMojo is a polarizing youtube channel they just made a list of the top 10 best Nintendo games of the century and Tropical Freeze made it at #10. Just thought that was pretty cool even though the list itself is a little too Switch biased for my liking.

I kind of agree with many games of that list, let's not deny that many of those Switch games are truly phenomenal. And they went with great legacy games like Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime and Pokémon Heartgold and Soulsilver (Ha imagine if they had put Sword and Shield there) instead of Switch bandwagoning.
I would have replaced New Horizons with New Leaf and put TTYD instead of Smash Bros. (That online.....) and switched the places of Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Personal bias).

The people at WatchMojo have always been extremely Zelda biased tho. Like here:
(I guess I can always appreciate people that put DKC2 in their lists)

About RTC, I can appreciate all the people that went there to support Dixie, because honestly most of the discussion ignited when one person started to radically deny Bandana Dee's existence. Almost no one really opposes Dixie's inclusion. The Third Party only crowd might vanish soon if the Fighter Pack 7 is also a First Party.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes plenty of third parties don’t generate that much discussion. But fan favorites do. Just as fan faces like Dixie generate discussion as well. Just as crapshoots like Bubsy would get no real discussion, so would mediocre first party choices like Kiddy Kong or Owain.
I mean, you're right.

But you don't have to **** on my boy Owain like that. :(

Dixie for Smash to stay relevant.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
DKC3 cover on the drums.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It may not be a Direct announcement, but we're finally getting Donkey Kong Country 1 on the SNES Online app in about a week!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Duuuuude!

2 and 3 will eventually come.

edit: Not sure whether to be tilted about being ninja'd there, but whatever. We posted within the same minute, lol.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
How great would be it be to get DIddy's Kong Quest for Switch Online and Dixie Kong for Smash in November/December for DKC2's 25th Anniversary?

Last edited:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
This is actually a really really good thing.

I got the feeling that Nintendo has been pushing the Donkey Kong series to the side so I'm happy to see them bringing it back even if its just a port.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Nice to see DKC-train finally to be off from Nintendo's end - can only hope they keep the momentum with 2 and 3 at least this year.

1594206635039.png

I wonder should I go playin' some DKC now...

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
It may not be a Direct announcement, but we're finally getting Donkey Kong Country 1 on the SNES Online app in about a week!

It's about time. Been waiting for this so long...
Hopefully we get DKC2 a little faster

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm always curious about younger Switch owners who are likely going into some of the online games like for the first time and aren't sure which ones are ideal for them. One on hand I wouldn't want anyone to be compelled to play a game they may not be fond of or expect that they go through an entire a title like DKC just because I personally think its great. On the other hand...

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Donkey Kong Country 1 FINALLY on the SNES Online Service

I already have this game on multiple platforms but it's getting more exposure now so I'm incredibly happy. I hope DKC2 and 3 come soon, and by soon I mean.... Nintendo soon.
BTW I hope the "online" part pays off. It would be incredibly fun to play Multiplayer Contest against someone that you can't leave behind easily.

Nintendo uploaded an extra Classified Information video for the DKC release as well.

Seeing those tricks make me incredibly nostalgic. I learned the first two ones thanks to older siblings. I have always done the BARRAL trick on every new playthrough by muscle memory since forever.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Also we got a DKC2 reference in the newest Animal Crossing update!

DKC2, Paper Mario TTYD and Wario Land in one conversation. The holy trilogy of never getting acknowledged.
And then Linebeck to add to the boot. Sometimes I wonder if this things are really in the original script or it was the English localization's initiative.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It’s going to be great to replay Donkey Kong Country and know that King K. Rool eventually became playable in Ultimate. It hurt playing Country 1 on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console knowing that the final boss could not have been fought in Brawl or Smash 4. Hopefully the same feeling happens with Dixie Kong in Ultimate and DKC2 on Switch Online sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom