• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Here is some concept art of DKC Returns and I have to say it is absolutely breathtaking, especially that first image. I would love to see any Tropical Freeze concept art if it hasn't been shown yet.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I recently have been playing it and it still holds up. There's an atmosphere to that game too...! Still so great. Maybe I haven't held up with it though, since I found some parts extremely difficult, mostly the roller coaster levels. The one where you race the Kutlasses. Those exclamation points on the track just make you more nervous!!!

I'm still thinking about which character to pick for your descriptions, SeashoreWar SeashoreWar . Should they be more like mini wikis bios or more Smash Bros style "flavorful" text?

Hopefully with less random misinformation. "The Dixie in 2Player contest is Dixie's first sister, who Tiny killed."

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Since this is the 25th year of DKC2 I'm gonna dust off my Wii and replay it on VC.
What do you know. :awesome:

I guess it's time to do my re-run on my nifty CRT Monitor~

Also, long time no see~

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I'm still thinking about which character to pick for your descriptions, SeashoreWar SeashoreWar . Should they be more like mini wikis bios or more Smash Bros style "flavorful" text?

Hopefully with less random misinformation. "The Dixie in 2Player contest is Dixie's first sister, who Tiny killed."
Lol I guess I would go with the Snash style.

Although it would be kinda cool if there was story to go along with it like in the original game:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/duke64nukem.com/2018/05/10/diddy-kong-racing-scans/amp/

But I know that's asking too much, especially with how many characters there are :laugh:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The reason Bowser teaming up with the Mario Bros. works is because we see him in a villainous role so often that it's a nice change of pace.

K.Rool's grand return being a team up would be a bit anticlimactic, wouldn't it?
It would but it's just great to have K. Rool back though. It wouldn't hurt for K. Rool to team up with the Kongs once in awhile against a greater foe like Bowser does with the Mario Bros. I just think K. Rool shouldn't turn into a anti hero like Dedede.

To be honest, if a trailer started with that, I wouldn't be sure whether to expect Dixie or Conker.
While I do believe Conker deserves to get in as well, I strongly believe Dixie is getting in long before Conker does.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think it would be cool if K. Rool had his own campaign in a Donkey Kong game, like being an unlockable character after beating the game who has his own unique abilities and ways of navigating the levels.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think it would be cool if K. Rool had his own campaign in a Donkey Kong game, like being an unlockable character after beating the game who has his own unique abilities and ways of navigating the levels.
That I would be fine with. Maybe a side story of him getting his evil scheme together or what he was doing during the Kongs adventure. But he still has to be pure evil. No teaming up stuff though K.Rool is also a goofy/comedic character as well so maybe when you play as K.Rool he fumbles and drops things along the way that you end up coming across as the Kongs which help them on their quest later.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also don't think it's a good idea to have K.Rool team up with the Kongs in his first returning role. We need him as a straight up villain. This shouldn't even be discussed. We wanted him back because he's an awesome villain, not because he'd be a great character to play as. We have Smash for that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I also don't think it's a good idea to have K.Rool team up with the Kongs in his first returning role. We need him as a straight up villain. This shouldn't even be discussed. We wanted him back because he's an awesome villain, not because he'd be a great character to play as. We have Smash for that.
I agree with the fact K. Rool should be a ruthless antagonist for the next few games upon his return. But a future temporary alliance with the Kongs against a greater foe in a game decades from now would be sweet.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree with the fact K. Rool should be a ruthless antagonist for the next few games upon his return. But a future temporary alliance with the Kongs against a greater foe in a game decades from now would be sweet.
That could be. But it better be some kind of action based game, and not a platformer. Can't really picture K.Rool working out well in a classic DKC environment.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I agree that King K. Rool should not work with the Kongs in a game in the near future. He really needs to cement himself as an iconic villain for the newer generation of gamers that got introduced to him with Ultimate. If they make him help out Donkey Kong in the next main series game, it may give the impression that King K. Rool is more of an eternal rival than a sworn enemy. I can't imagine that King K. Rool actually likes the Kongs at all, considering how he tortures them, uses them as living batteries, and attempts to nuke their island. In comparison, Mario and Bowser seem to have some sort of mutual respect for each other. Bowser never attempts to actually kill Mario or Peach, let alone show any interest in doing so, while Mario always makes sure to invite him to his go-karting and sporting events. It seems to me that whenever King K. Rool and his kremlings do something with the Kongs, like Barrel Blast or Super Sluggers, it's because he wants the spotlight over any sort of sportsmanship, at least from my interpretation.

All of us that are in our 20s to 30s know how awesome King K. Rool is, with appearances in the DKC trilogy, DK64, and even the cartoon. Spin-offs aside, King K. Rool hasn't had a major appearance as the main villain since DK64, and that game is two decades old now. I trust that Nintendo can understand King K. Rool's character enough to make him memorable again, they already did a great job with his portrayal in Ultimate. It's just a matter of when at this point. Personally, I think King K. Rool's role in a future Donkey Kong game should be the most similar to DK64, in terms of how often he appears. Seeing King K. Rool comment on the bosses after their defeats was interesting, and it made me really curious on how the final confrontation between the Kongs and King K. Rool would go. I think a similar approach for a new Donkey Kong game could really flesh out King K. Rool's character, and make him stand out and leave an impression throughout an adventure.

With all of that said, I'll humor the idea of King K. Rool actually teaming with the Kongs. If that does happen, he would probably scheme something behind their back throughout the adventure. As soon as they take out the new big bad of the game, King K. Rool would reveal that he wanted to weaken him on purpose so that he could take over instead. Then there would be a last world where you have a final showdown with the kremlings and King K. Rool. In a way, it would come full circle considering his fake kredits in the original DKC. That's the only way I can personally see King K. Rool teaming up with the Kongs working out. He's not the kind of guy who would let Donkey Kong get any kind of credit for saving the day.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
K. Rool is a ruthless villain and shouldn't team up with the Kongs. I 3 way feud between the Kongs, Snowmads and Kremlings wouldn't be a bad idea though.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
What do you know. :awesome:

I guess it's time to do my re-run on my nifty CRT Monitor~

Also, long time no see~

Welcome back Valkyrie! The thread has been moving along nicely since you last posted. No DK news sadly. We got a discord now though.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong 64 was the definitive and best interpretation of King K. Rool and that I hope Nintendo takes notes from and uses as the base/foundation for the franchises future.

Not only was he straight up intimidating, reckless and insanely wacked out of his mind, But he was very animated and cartoony while doing so and would stop at nothing to make sure Donkey Kong and Co were killed and their Island home destroyed.

I'm very curious and anxious where Nintendo takes the franchise, But there is part of me that is worried what direction they will take the series if they do develop the next major DK game in-house/EAD, Gameplay wise I'm sure they will nail it, But humor, personality and maybe story is the one thing that I don't feel really confident they can match Rareware.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
How would you guys react if Nintendo announces a new DK and just drops the trailer on Twitter/Youtube ala Paper Mario & The Origami King?

Anyway ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 couldn't agree more with what you said. That being said I feel Sakurai captured K.Rool's personality/character extremely well certainly better than Paon/Nintendo did in King of Swing and Jungle Climber thats for sure. In those games K.Rool felt like "Bowser Lite" he was missing all of his malice, edge, and cartoony goofy nature. He was just extremely one-note and bland..

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While this thread is about a DKC character, I think it's time we drop the K. Rool discussion and move the topic back to Dixie since this is the Dixie Kong thread.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Our Queen in Mario Kart!!! She fits so well! I love her twirl jump!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How would you guys react if Nintendo announces a new DK and just drops the trailer on Twitter/Youtube ala Paper Mario & The Origami King?

Anyway ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 couldn't agree more with what you said. That being said I feel Sakurai captured K.Rool's personality/character extremely well certainly better than Paon/Nintendo did in King of Swing and Jungle Climber thats for sure. In those games K.Rool felt like "Bowser Lite" he was missing all of his malice, edge, and cartoony goofy nature. He was just extremely one-note and bland..
I'd say K. Rool was serviceable in those games.

Not great and definitely not his defining role, but serviceable. It was nice to see him around.

She's in!

Yo! Dixie is finally in a Mario Kart game! Let's hope she stays.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
yo i just got done with work and saw that dixie kong is finally in mario kart?! hell yeah! funky returning is also fantastic!

i really hope they carry over into the next console mario kart!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
She's in!

Say what right now??

*Plays the video*

My god... She is in.

And the very day when Lip is finally receiving her international appearance too... What is with this cosmic alignment of events... :colorful:

This has felt bit like some unreal back-to-back Christmas eves for fans like me having loved these gals so much before!!! I was already feeling pretty content enough having long moved on other things since they had missed their boats to pretty significant events too many.

My only gripe is she's still in Mario Kart Mobage... this would have been so nice to have already way in Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe), especially when compared to what Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled's been doing instead.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's a weird feeling. Mario Kart tour sucks, but this is cool enough to still make you smile.

I didn't want to mention this on the twitter because I didn't want to start any drama, but it's funny that recently some people made a "ban Dixie in Mario Kart" account. And now it's deleted.

BOOYAH!

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
This is bittersweet for me. I've always wanted her in a Mario Kart game but Tour with its awful gacha system is a turn off for me personally. Hoping she could come to a mainline Mario Kart installment soon enough but regardless this is a huge win for her

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually tempted to pay now, damn it lol. Really wish this was for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe instead, but this is still great for getting these characters more exposure.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey! Dixie's in Mario Kart. That's really cool, finally. Though really, given that it's a gacha, it's only sensible that it had to happen eventually. Let's hope she makes her real Mario Kart debut whenever 9 happens!

New DKC is new DKC. With how the Switch is going, as long as it's on par with the rest of the series it'll sell well, I'm not worried about that.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This is bittersweet for me. I've always wanted her in a Mario Kart game but Tour with its awful gacha system is a turn off for me personally. Hoping she could come to a mainline Mario Kart installment soon enough but regardless this is a huge win for her
It's a step forward, at least. Though it stings indeed how 8 and eventually Deluxe didn't bother with her among many other fan-favorites (:4diddy:)... and instead shoved in more Nintendo IPs to a point people are demanding Nintendo Kart to be a thing right now.

Staarih

Smash Master
Great to see Dixie make her MK debut, hopefully she’ll get in a main line game in the future!

This throwback vid was also posted for the Rambi kart:

QQS

Smash Lord
So glad for Dixie Kong in Mario Kart! She would be such a good addition to Smash, also!

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Damn woke up to the news that Dixie and Funky have returned to Mario Kart but too bad its for the ****ty mobile game. *cries* however whatever gives Dixie more exposure Im here for. They even brought back the Rambi Rider.

Man Mario Kart Tour gets Funky, Dixie, Pauline, Diddy, the REAL King Boo. It aint fair man...it aint fair...lol

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
heya, i don't really care much for dixie personally, but i just wanna pop in and say congrats on mario kart tour

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
This is just step one guys, Dixie will get her own fighter pack for smash, and it will come with a Funky echo.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Also I like how that Rambi Rider trailer showed DKC footage yet DKC is nowhere to be found on Switch online. "Hey Mario Kart Tour fans check out this awesome new Kart based on Rambi the Rhinoceros from DKC which can be played on....an SNES classic go drop $70 extra dollars to experience it in addition to buying a hefty amount of rubies to unlock Dixie, Funky, and the Rambi Rider!"

Top Bottom