• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Why did they make retro Mario's hat and overalls orange instead of red?! I'd rock that outfit all the time in Mario Odyssey if it weren't for that!

I'd rather have Dixie than not have Dixie, personally. If Chrom and Ken can be echoes, I've no doubt Dixie could be an echo and still retain her classic moves and personality.
I really don't like arguing about the whole echo thing but I actually want a reason to play as Dixie and an echo wouldn't do that for me personally since I already love using Diddy who actually represents the move set to his character meanwhile Dixie who isn't the type who uses cartwheels or breakdancing style fighting, she's has always been reliant on her ponytail which is what made her popular to begin with and allow her to do many things that Diddy could never emulate.

Plus I still believe if she's was available as one she would have made it in, also Diddy still has a tail ledge attack and Dk's up b would have to be heavily altered considering the different character structures, if Isabelle couldn't be an echo because her body design is different from Villager than the Dk's up b wouldn't work that easily.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Wave 8 of DKR!
  • Candy Kong with a new look
  • K. Rool
  • Ninja Kong with a redesign as well
  • Cat-O-9-Tails who actually had 9 tails this time
Halfway through the roster now!

Friendship ended with Lemmington. Now Cat O 9-Tails is my best friend.

That's a pretty interesting take on Ninja Kong. Definitely looks more like a ninja than the original design. The original design is OK, but I think you kept the best part of it -- the hair. I'm curious though how your version might look like with the original version's eyes.

Great job, I'll post it tomorrow.

Speaking of drawings, a very nice user on gamefaqs(shocking I know) by the name Jedimess made this really cute picture of Dixie for me.View attachment 264528
Cute! Can we post this on the Twitter?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Alright here's my overall proof:
First Batch
Second Batch
Current:
Homecoming Hijinx
IMG_20200228_003440_1.jpg
Icicle Arsenal
IMG_20200228_011657.jpg
Lord Fredrik
IMG_20200303_204453.jpg
Slippy Spikes

Turns out I did say to beat Fredrik for this to count. I forgot all about that TBH. As for 6-K smashboards wouldn't let me upload the file so I sent it to imgur instead. CHALLENGE COMPLETED!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Friendship ended with Lemmington. Now Cat O 9-Tails is my best friend.

That's a pretty interesting take on Ninja Kong. Definitely looks more like a ninja than the original design. The original design is OK, but I think you kept the best part of it -- the hair. I'm curious though how your version might look like with the original version's eyes.

Great job, I'll post it tomorrow.

Cute! Can we post this on the Twitter?
Yes,go for it though I would like to be mentioned as well as the artist Jedimess.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel like if Nintendo really wanted to, they could have an in-house studio studying the Donkey Kong Country series and try to really understand what makes it tick and what exactly its fans love about it, and try their hand at making a game with that knowledge. It's an undertaking for sure, but in the last few years they've taken a lot more risks with their properties, making new IPs and trusting their old ones with new blood. If it ever seemed plausible, now would be the time.

Not to say that it's necessarily any better or easier than giving it to a separate developer. Just musing, I guess.
I almost rather have Nintendo tackle DKC, because then at least we know they care deeply themselves. And we are more likely to get continuous game releases. However, am not sure if they can get the characterization right. I sure HOPE SO, but am not entirely confident. Then again, I'd trust Sakurai with a DKC game if he wanted to try his hands on it like Kid Icarus Uprising.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'd rather have Dixie than not have Dixie, personally. If Chrom and Ken can be echoes, I've no doubt Dixie could be an echo and still retain her classic moves and personality.
I would rather have Dixie playing as Dixie than having my most requested character being :ultganondorf:'d.
Actually, from all the echoes, all them are copying a moveset that fits them (:ultchrom:, :ultlucina:, :ultdaisy:) or it's the canon moveset of their games and the reason they became echoes (:ultken:, :ultrichter:, :ultdarkpit:). The only glaring discrepancy being :ultdarksamus:.

Dixie being :ultdiddy:'s echo doesn't make sense outside of some tilts and aerials. And even then, it would be a serious waste of potential to not having her use her ponytail ever except for her Up B (Which is what most people are suggesting should be the only change).
:ultisabelle: represents her in her spirit battle so I think Sakurai agrees with me.
If you want a DK echo, go with Funky instead.

Alright here's my overall proof:
First Batch
Second Batch
Current:
Homecoming Hijinx
View attachment 264666
Icicle Arsenal
View attachment 264667
Lord Fredrik
View attachment 264668
Slippy Spikes

Turns out I did say to beat Fredrik for this to count. I forgot all about that TBH. As for 6-K smashboards wouldn't let me upload the file so I sent it to imgur instead. CHALLENGE COMPLETED!
Nice job. I wonder if Icicle Arsenal made you consider your life choices in the final barrel blast section. And you managed to beat Slippy Spikes too. Another one to the club of war veterans that managed to beat that hell.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would rather have Dixie playing as Dixie than having my most requested character being :ultganondorf:'d.
That is why I despise the idea of Dixie Kong being a Echo because she would get screwed over like Ganondorf. Ganondorf or Ganon is one of my favorite Nintendo characters and I can't stand that he is still a semi-clone of Captain Falcon even though he is one of my mains. I want Ganondorf to play like he does in his games, I want mage Ganondorf, the real Ganondorf not Falcondorf.

This is the Ganondorf I want in Smash:

I don't want Dixie to suffer the same fate as Ganondorf because she deserves to be her own unique fighter.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Remember that Donkey Kong direct we're suppose to get in 2045 (or whatever it was) now Im starting to question which will come first that or a new general Nintendo Direct..

Jesus Christ Nintendo! What are you doing? First half of this year is looking almost as bad as 2018 as a whole (minus Ultimate) and the first half of 2019. Yeah we get Animal Crossing and it looks amazing but thats just 1 new game for 6 months (assuming the next major release is in June).

You've got other franchises that could use Switch releases like DK, Wario Land/Ware, 2D Metroid, Pikmin, Rhythm Heaven, Punch-Out!!, Star Fox, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, etc sooo get on it...

Hopefully the first Fighters Pass 2 character gets shown in the next Direct (whenever that is) and it ties into an upcoming 1st party release. Hopefully it's Dixie to correlate with a new Donkey Kong game..

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dixie Kong's being rated in the RTC thread! If you feel like it, come on by and show your support.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I believe she had the highest want score the last time we rated her too? Let's keep it that way.
That's right! And I think she still holds that title, at least for first party characters.

I know what I'm giving her, I'm sure most here would agree.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Actually, from all the echoes, all them are copying a moveset that fits them (:ultchrom:, :ultlucina:, :ultdaisy:) or it's the canon moveset of their games and the reason they became echoes (:ultken:, :ultrichter:, :ultdarkpit:). The only glaring discrepancy being :ultdarksamus:.

Dixie being :ultdiddy:'s echo doesn't make sense outside of some tilts and aerials. And even then, it would be a serious waste of potential to not having her use her ponytail ever except for her Up B (Which is what most people are suggesting should be the only change).
:ultisabelle: represents her in her spirit battle so I think Sakurai agrees with me.
But it doesn't have to be like that. As far as anyone can figure, an echo is just a character that shares another character's "skeleton." Our old notion of what made an echo was pretty much destroyed when Ken was designated an echo and Isabelle wasn't. If basing some of Dixie's moves on Diddy's can get her into the game sooner, then let's do that.

Also, making her up-B the ponytail twirl would be a huge waste, since all characters already have double jumps and you could just hold jump to glide down slowly, but that's neither here nor there.

If you want a DK echo, go with Funky instead.
No way. Funky would be an even worse echo than Dixie. How do you account for his surfboard, which is key to his play style in Tropical Freeze? Do we just leave out stuff like his guns and vehicles? Besides, Funky walks upright while DK walks on all fours.

I mean, ideally, neither of these Kongs would be an echo. They'd both be totally original characters. And I'm not even sure I want Funky to be playable in the first place. But if one of them has to be an echo, that should be Dixie.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah I'm still not down with Dixie being an Echo. She needs extensive use of her hair besides an Up B in her moveset. Diddy now only has a ledge sweep as a tail attack, which means his tail moves are virtually gone outside of one context-sensitive attack; Dixie replacing Diddy's tail attacks with her hair is basically not an option.

But hey, that's where I stand. Not trying to step on any toes.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
But it doesn't have to be like that. As far as anyone can figure, an echo is just a character that shares another character's "skeleton." Our old notion of what made an echo was pretty much destroyed when Ken was designated an echo and Isabelle wasn't. If basing some of Dixie's moves on Diddy's can get her into the game sooner, then let's do that.

Also, making her up-B the ponytail twirl would be a huge waste, since all characters already have double jumps and you could just hold jump to glide down slowly, but that's neither here nor there.

No way. Funky would be an even worse echo than Dixie. How do you account for his surfboard, which is key to his play style in Tropical Freeze? Do we just leave out stuff like his guns and vehicles? Besides, Funky walks upright while DK walks on all fours.

I mean, ideally, neither of these Kongs would be an echo. They'd both be totally original characters. And I'm not even sure I want Funky to be playable in the first place. But if one of them has to be an echo, that should be Dixie.
The thing with :ultken: is that he's the "original echo fighter" so they didn't miss the opportunity to name him as one I guess. Honestly besides of some command inputs, many moves are basically the same as :ultryu: (Same effects, knockback, yadda yadda), no matter how different the animations are.
:ultisabelle: is on the other side having the same aerials and tilts as :ultvillager:, but completely different Smashes and specials. So I see why she's not an echo, her gameplan and moves are way too :ultluigi:fied.
I see
sharing some moves with :ultdiddy:, and I say sharing, because some of them would change properties (Like the Peanut Gun -> Gumball Gun). Also many many of her attributes in DKC2 / DKC3 are so different, she's slower, jumps lower, her roll is different and covers less distance (Probably the worst overall roll in the series until TF buffed it to be like the others) but can hover in the air and grabs objects with the ponytail. Only there I can already see the potential to use that ponytail for multiple long ranged moves and even use :ultdk:'s cargo grab or some kind of special move that involves grabbing with the ponytail.

About
, how can he be more unique than
when she has been playable in many more games, he never uses those vehicules and weapons you are talking about, they are always used by the Kong family (And the vehicules don't really have a place in Smash).
In TF (His only playable appearence), he's basically :ultdk: on steroids, yeah he stands upright for his idle pose (Not like you can't change that right'? :ultdarksamus:), but he has the same weight and speed of :ultdk:, the animation of running is like :ultdk:, can do the infinite roll (He rolls like :ultdk: BTW), swims like :ultdk: (But has those nice googles), crouches like :ultdk:, can also do the ground slam with his hands, the only difference is the surfboard making him immune to spikes (Completely irrelevant to a Smash moveset) and the double jump and slow descent. That last move should be the Up B changed from Spinning Kong (And remove some super armor to compensate the much better recovery) and we have enough to make him faithful to TF and get him in Smash. Because let's be honest, there will never be another way to get
in Smash outside of being an echo, unlike
who is practically a requirement for the next DK rep.

Me everytime I see a 0 rating given for Dixie's want.

This is a mistake that needs an immediate fix. I'll be right back.....
Edit: Did my part.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I feel like Funky can reuse a lot more of DK's animations than Dixie could for Diddy, since Funky could always put his surfboard away when he doesn't need it. It's much harder to put a ponytail away (unless she tucked it into her shirt or something, but why do that when it's so useful?)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly I think Funky would be one of the easiest Echos to make for Smash. He is basically DK with a surfboard. Just make him a DK Echo, give him the surfboard for his recovery and call it a day. Could he be his own unique fighter? Yes but he really doesn't need to be especially as much as Dixie does. They could give him the different guns types from DK64 since he made them for the Kongs. But that would only work if they made him into a unique fighter and I don't think that would be enough to make a original moveset for him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Found one of the best artworks imaginable. It's something I've been playing in my head since August 2018. What we should have gotten at the end of K. Rool’s Trailer.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
He put K. Rool's golden bracelets on his ankles instead of his wrists. They're in the wrong place.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Someone didn't finish DK64. ;)
Ups you got me. I knew about that scene, I just forgot about it because it's like.... the only time he ever used a weapon he made?...

If DK got the FE treatment in Smash.
Oh it's beautiful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/fddtxo
No offense to the Fire Emblem gang.
This is wrong, where are the swords and the blue hair? They can't be in Smash if they don't have that. I would take 4 DKs over 4 Marths any time of any day.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is wrong, where are the swords and the blue hair? They can't be in Smash if they don't have that. I would take 4 DKs over 4 Marths any time of any day.
We don't need 4 Marths or 4 DKs, we need 4 Dixies. Rare Dixie with the knee pads, Paon Dixie without the knee pads, cartoon Dixie, and manga Dixie. ;)

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Found one of the best artworks imaginable. It's something I've been playing in my head since August 2018. What we should have gotten at the end of K. Rool’s Trailer.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
That picture reminds me of certain game with tendency to kill me over and over again.... sounds like DK!!

We don't need 4 Marths or 4 DKs, we need 4 Dixies. Rare Dixie with the knee pads, Paon Dixie without the knee pads, cartoon Dixie, and manga Dixie. ;)
Let's be 8 Dixies then. We need also Tiny, PAON Tiny, Birthnote Dixie and JoJo-style Dixie.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Ah, this is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. The audio is so clean it doesn't even sound edited honestly. It's actually like listening to a audio clip of the Melee announcer from another dimension where Dixie Kong got in Melee. It's beautiful just beautiful. :)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
About the whole Echo thing, it just wouldn't work for Dixie because she and Diddy have a drastic different model, even if their body shapes are somewhat similar. Ken is a Echo of Ryu because he's the OG Echo Fighter in fighting games, Chrom and Roy sharing attributes is because Sakurai already kind of thought of Chrom as a in-between mix of Marth and Ike, and Roy fits that description. So I don't want it ever brought up again. Dixie has her hair as extra part of her model, Diddy has his tail. There's no reason to make Dixie an Echo Fighter.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
About the whole Echo thing, it just wouldn't work for Dixie because she and Diddy have a drastic different model, even if their body shapes are somewhat similar. Ken is a Echo of Ryu because he's the OG Echo Fighter in fighting games, Chrom and Roy sharing attributes is because Sakurai already kind of thought of Chrom as a in-between mix of Marth and Ike, and Roy fits that description. So I don't want it ever brought up again. Dixie has her hair as extra part of her model, Diddy has his tail. There's no reason to make Dixie an Echo Fighter.
Yes. please people, don't bring up the Diddy echo fighter point ever again. We are long past those pre-release days of trying to make everyone an echo for the sake of shoehorning them into the game.
Also if Dixie was sharing a moveset or playstyle with any possible character, I think the most similar one would end up not being Diddy, not DK, not even a Nintendo character, it would be Tails hahaha.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
A 4-way race of DKC2 is starting right now, followed by a 103% run of DKC3:
https://www.twitch.tv/bluntbunny

If anyone is interested.

Edit: We learn something new everyday, what I learned with this run is that Squitter can actually jump on enemies in DKC3.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
OK here's an ice breaker (which I think we've discussed something similar before but I'm going for it anyway):

They're making DKC6, a new 2D platformer in the style of the Rare/Retro games, but David Wise is unable to return as composer. However, you get your choice of any composer in the world to take the reins. Who do you choose, and why?

Personally, I would probably go with Koji Kondo. He's able to take on a lot of musical styles, but the things he specializes in are very well-suited to Donkey Kong Country imo: His Mario tracks show prowess with upbeat jazzy tunes or tropical fare, his Zelda tracks show his ability to write music that's beautiful and ambient, and his Star Fox tracks demonstrate a sort of bombastic, orchestral flair.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
OK here's an ice breaker (which I think we've discussed something similar before but I'm going for it anyway):

They're making DKC6, a new 2D platformer in the style of the Rare/Retro games, but David Wise is unable to return as composer. However, you get your choice of any composer in the world to take the reins. Who do you choose, and why?

Personally, I would probably go with Koji Kondo. He's able to take on a lot of musical styles, but the things he specializes in are very well-suited to Donkey Kong Country imo: His Mario tracks show prowess with upbeat jazzy tunes or tropical fare, his Zelda tracks show his ability to write music that's beautiful and ambient, and his Star Fox tracks demonstrate a sort of bombastic, orchestral flair.
Matt Griffin, he proved himself with amazing DKC-like original tunes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm not sure if someone posted this before as it's literally 11 months old, but I bumped into this funny YouTuber named uncle al who posted a DK retrospective:
That surprised me cuz his vids are usually funny for other reasons, so this was a refreshing change of pace.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if someone posted this before as it's literally 11 months old, but I bumped into this funny YouTuber named uncle al who posted a DK retrospective:
That surprised me cuz his vids are usually funny for other reasons, so this was a refreshing change of pace.
I've run into some of his DK videos awhile back and have been meaning to post it ,But kind of forgot to when checking out another Youtuber (Geek Critique) DK review/retrospectives (Highly recommend it)

Uncle Al did a really great job of looking back at the "Rise and Fall and somewhat Rise again" of Donkey Kong and this video pretty much sums up the usual mindset of a DK/Rareware's fan view on the current state of the Donkey Kong franchise.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I've run into some of his DK videos awhile back and have been meaning to post it ,But kind of forgot to when checking out another Youtuber (Geek Critique) DK review/retrospectives (Highly recommend it)

Uncle Al did a really great job of looking back at the "Rise and Fall and somewhat Rise again" of Donkey Kong and this video pretty much sums up the usual mindset of a DK/Rareware's fan view on the current state of the Donkey Kong franchise.
Yea I remember those vids! I like GeekCritique's content, especially his Metroid, DK and Sonic vids. That was a nice refresher, thanks for reposting them.

Top Bottom