• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Mentioned this in the Kutthroats thread, it will be a real shot in the arm for the series, imagine seeing Bramble Blast in all its glory, remastered from the ground up!
Imagine getting to play as whichever Kong you prefer again, rather than having all but DK relegated to being power-ups. :laugh:

Last edited:
I made these character UIs of Dixie Kong a while back. What do you think?

View attachment 131565

Aaaaannnnd here are all of the four DK reps together because why not. :b

View attachment 131566
Do you mind if I use the large one in my sig?

Imagine getting to play as whichever Kong you prefer again, rather than having all but DK relegated to being power-ups. :laugh:
Haha so true

This, a lack of animal buddies and creativity in bonus rooms were lacking!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Question here:

What do you want Dixie's Helicopter Spin to work like in Smash?

Similary to Peach's float mechanic, or just a regular Up B?

I think both could work out honestly. Have it work exactly like in DKC2, DKC3 and the Land games by holding the Jump button, and having a Up B very similar to Tropical Freeze's Helicopter Spin.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Question here:

I think both could work out honestly. Have it work exactly like in DKC2, DKC3 and the Land games by holding the Jump button, and having a Up B very similar to Tropical Freeze's Helicopter Spin.
I've always imagined it as being like Peach's floating, because I can imagine how that would work and feel in-game - it just seems to translate seamlessly.

I'm not familiar with anything that Tropical Freeze did, though, as the game never interested me, but more options for how something could be implemented are always good.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Question here:

I'd want her to have a unique midair jump that's her Twirl from Tropical Freeze. So her ground jump is normal, her 2nd jump is like Yoshi's in that she does that Tropical Freeze helicopter, and if you hold the jump button afterwards she keeps spinning her ponytail while she slowly goes downward. Unlike Peach, she doesn't maintain her altitude but instead reduces her fallspeed heavily, while her airspeed stays the same; this allows her to have a lot of aerial mobility and keeps her off the ground for a while. Maybe we even let her use an attack while doing this--one that doesn't involve her hair or spinning as it would cancel the move.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd want her to have a unique midair jump that's her Twirl from Tropical Freeze. So her ground jump is normal, her 2nd jump is like Yoshi's in that she does that Tropical Freeze helicopter, and if you hold the jump button afterwards she keeps spinning her ponytail while she slowly goes downward. Unlike Peach, she doesn't maintain her altitude but instead reduces her fallspeed heavily, while her airspeed stays the same; this allows her to have a lot of aerial mobility and keeps her off the ground for a while. Maybe we even let her use an attack while doing this--one that doesn't involve her hair or spinning as it would cancel the move.
She would DEFINITELY need less powerful aerials than Diddy does to make this somewhat balanced. But yeah, good explanation! Can envision her doing exactly this in Smash real well.

Erucidator

Smash Rookie
I feel like if DK got another rep it'd be K. Rool, but Dixie is up there with my most requested newcomers. I think she has a lot to offer the series, so she's got my support.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We should refrain from a mentality that the choice is either between Dixie or King K.Rool. To be honest, Dixie Kong was always seen as the "guranteed DKC newcomer" which unfortunately wasn't true. So we need a base for genuine Dixie Kong support. She is one of the first original DKC's protagonists, and the side kick of Diddy in the most critically acclaimed DKC game. She's also in Tropical Freeze, she's a great newcomer on her own. If K.Rool makes it in or not. Her absense in Smash 4 has made me all the more supportive of her, cause even after she was part of the "Forbidden Seven", she still didn't make it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I feel like if DK got another rep it'd be K. Rool, but Dixie is up there with my most requested newcomers. I think she has a lot to offer the series, so she's got my support.
Welcome to the Barrel! It's good to have another supporter for Dixie, but I gotta agree with Diddy Kong Diddy Kong entirely on the matter of which choice is more likely. Still, if you have any ideas/art you'd like to share or music tracks you'd like me to put in the OP, don't hesitate to suggest any!

And HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Oh, this place is still running, huh. Well, Dixie is the character I support most for the next Smash Bros., whatever it may be.

I get the feeling we'll be hearing about a Tropical Freeze port coming to Switch sometime soon, and that'll surely keep Dixie relevant enough for Nintendo or Sakurai or whoever to notice... Hopefully.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Oh, this place is still running, huh. Well, Dixie is the character I support most for the next Smash Bros., whatever it may be.

I get the feeling we'll be hearing about a Tropical Freeze port coming to Switch sometime soon, and that'll surely keep Dixie relevant enough for Nintendo or Sakurai or whoever to notice... Hopefully.
It is indeed coming to the Nintendo Switch.

It was announced today via the Mini Direct.

The game includes playable Funky Kong.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Funky looks OP as hell.

Dixie hype tho.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, at least Dixie Kong is relevant again for the time being now that Tropical Freeze is ported to the Switch. But she has competition for the DK newcomer spot with Cranky Kong and now Funky Kong.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So we've got some DK content coming to the Switch! Not only a Tropical Freeze port but DLC for Mario + Rabbids! This is GREAT news overall; with the level of exposure DK's getting I wonder if Nintendo's trying to prime us for a brand new DK game. I mean just think about it: the DK nods and level in Odyssey was a big start on its own, but now we have these 2 gems in what seems like Nintendo finally giving this series a healthy spotlight. It seems logical, that when a new game hits, Nintendo will have already laid the groundwork for warming up a wide audience to the Kongs; that will give it a huge boost of potential sales.

As for the DKCTF port, I'm excited for it but I doubt I'll buy it. I still play it on the Wii U from time to time; I replayed it this weekend and I still see why I love it, but this new port can be the perfect chance to improve it. For a start, they could let us choose which kong to play as from the start, and obviously bump up the graphics a bit. I mean it looked great on the Wii U but that was 4 years ago so I'm sure they can make things look more gorgeous.

As for Funky, I NEVER would've thought he'd be playable but damn does he look cool. I see the dynamic they have with the Kongs: Dixie is Easy Mode, Diddy is Normal, Cranky is Hard, DK is Expert (no powerups, pure skill) and now Funky is Beginner Mode. I do wanna try him out though, but what I realized is that the Kong that runs the shop in the previous game gets promoted in the next. Cranky from Returns, and now Funky...but who's running the shop now that he's adventuring?

I REALLY hope it's Lanky XD

I get the feeling we'll be hearing about a Tropical Freeze port coming to Switch sometime soon,
You must be psychic LMAO.

Spatman

Smash Ace
someone fears that now the possibility to have Dixie playable in smash switch is internally threatened not only by K. Rool but also by Funky?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
someone fears that now the possibility to have Dixie playable in smash switch is internally threatened not only by K. Rool but also by Funky?
I'm sure some people might feel that way, but personally my thoughts are similar to what Diddy said a few posts back. We've got one more possible Kong to consider now and I'm confident Funky will be popular, but I'm not convinced he's a threat to Dixie. She still has a lot going for her; 2nd Nintendo heroine w/her own game, etc.

Spatman

Smash Ace
but Funky was in Mario Kart Wii too (one of the most popular mariokart of all time) and Dixie not

I'm a little afraid.

Well, actually at the end I'd like Funky too. But... he's not Dixie :(

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure some people might feel that way, but personally my thoughts are similar to what Diddy said a few posts back. We've got one more possible Kong to consider now and I'm confident Funky will be popular, but I'm not convinced he's a threat to Dixie. She still has a lot going for her; 2nd Nintendo heroine w/her own game, etc.
The way I see it, we get what we get. It's not like we have any influence on that, as much as people might like to believe that such sway could be held by a fan-site that only represents the most miniscule fraction of the customer-base.

I'm not sure that it's great to use terminology that insinuates that some characters are "threatened" by others from the same series, either, personally. There could be a danger of people taking that sort of wording in the wrong way, and it causing unintended and unwanted bad blood between fanbases.

I support both K. Rool and Dixie, myself. I'm not an especially big fan of Funky, but I'm not opposed to that idea, either. At the end of the day, we'll get what we get.

Spatman

Smash Ace
The way I see it, we get what we get. It's not like we have any influence on that, as much as people might like to believe that such sway could be held by a fan-site that only represents the most miniscule fraction of the customer-base.

I'm not sure that it's great to use terminology that insinuates that some characters are "threatened" by others from the same series, either, personally. There could be a danger of people taking that sort of wording in the wrong way, and it causing unintended and unwanted bad blood between fanbases.

I support both K. Rool and Dixie, myself. I'm not an especially big fan of Funky, but I'm not opposed to that idea, either. At the end of the day, we'll get what we get.
it's all correct, but I want to specify: I'm not english mother tongue and I live in a country where almost never I have the possibility to talk in english with someone. It's the primal reason of my poor speech.
Moreover, of course some arguments like "a character who threats another one" is somewhat "symbolic" and "metaphoric".
Of course we'll get what we get (but in some way and in specifical circumstances, togethere with other boards and social networks, we have a liiiittle power to influence the rest of the audience in which character ask for, and in this way improve the possibility to be listened by Sakurai for that specific character; with "specifical circumstances I'm referring to thing like smash ballot, but also Mewtwo's return, I guess), but this doesn't preserve us from being disappointed when our favourite character doesn't be announced/released

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
it's all correct, but I want to specify: I'm not english mother tongue and I live in a country where almost never I have the possibility to talk in english with someone. It's the primal reason of my poor speech.
I must say, your English is very good. I've known a number of native English-speakers who aren't as good, even. ;)

Moreover, of course some arguments like "a character who threats another one" is somewhat "symbolic" and "metaphoric".
I know, don't worry. :)

I was just referring to the previous period of Smash-speculation, where that sort of wording did seem to cause issues sometimes.

Of course we'll get what we get (but in some way and in specifical circumstances, togethere with other boards and social networks, we have a liiiittle power to influence the rest of the audience in which character ask for, and in this way improve the possibility to be listened by Sakurai for that specific character; with "specifical circumstances I'm referring to thing like smash ballot, but also Mewtwo's return, I guess), but this doesn't preserve us from being disappointed when our favourite character doesn't be announced/released
I don't believe that we have very much sway at all, and it's fair to say that Sakurai won't always be involved, but I agree, it doesn't prevent disappointment.

D

Deleted member

I've been playing DKC2 recently and Dixie's been growing on me, as is my desire to see her in Smash. Still want K. Rool more, but I support Dixie nonetheless.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Gotta update the OP in response to recent DK-related news. Nothing too drastic but it's definitely necessary. Quick question, does anyone know who's porting Tropical Freeze over to Switch? It seems like it's Retro but I haven't found any confirmation last I checked but since someone else ported Returns to the 3DS the same might be true here. I just wanna know what Retro's up to.

I've been playing DKC2 recently and Dixie's been growing on me, as is my desire to see her in Smash. Still want K. Rool more, but I support Dixie nonetheless.
Welcome aboard Lampy! You're now the 147th addition to the Barrel and there's plenty of room inside LMAO.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
I support Dixie Kong to some day become a playable character in the future whether it be a Smash 4 port or an entirely new Super Smash Bros. game.

The Donkey Kong franchise in Smash is criminally underrepresented in almost every category, including only having Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong as your representatives for one of Nintendo's biggest series (5th as of this date). To add to that, she imo is one of the last few remaining classic Nintendo characters that is deserving of a roster spot along with King K. Rool and Ridley; having been playable in numerous titles in not only Donkey Kong Country games, but also in Mario spin offs, has made more playable appearances in the SNES DKC trilogy than Donkey Kong himself, and even has had her own game (multiple times) so...

To me, it's a no brainer.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Better follow up with DKC3 if you can, Dixie's gonna grow more on you there. Though depends of if you enjoy what DKC3 has to offer.

D

Deleted member

Better follow up with DKC3 if you can, Dixie's gonna grow more on you there. Though depends of if you enjoy what DKC3 has to offer.
I'm probably gonna play it eventually. I generally play sequels of games I've enjoyed.
That said, it's probably not the next game I'll play. I have a list that dwarfs Ridley.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I support Dixie Kong to some day become a playable character in the future whether it be a Smash 4 port or an entirely new Super Smash Bros. game.

The Donkey Kong franchise in Smash is criminally underrepresented in almost every category, including only having Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong as your representatives for one of Nintendo's biggest series (5th as of this date). To add to that, she imo is one of the last few remaining classic Nintendo characters that is deserving of a roster spot along with King K. Rool and Ridley; having been playable in numerous titles in not only Donkey Kong Country games, but also in Mario spin offs, has made more playable appearances in the SNES DKC trilogy than Donkey Kong himself, and even has had her own game (multiple times) so...

To me, it's a no brainer.
I LIKE your way of thinking! It's good to hear such positive words for Dixie, as well as having 2 new supporters in such a short timeframe! Welcome; if you ever feel like proposing a moveset or contributing art/music/other ideas, feel free to do so.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So, Smash Bros head for Switch this year possibly.

So do we give this ponytailed heroine one more whirl?

We DEFINITELY will! Now that a new game's been announced AND we have an updated re-release we can get Dixie back on track! I'll update the OP this weekend in light of the news.

Spatman

Smash Ace
could someone do a pic with Dixie in the place of Inkling with the smash logo in her eye, please? in the same pose of Inkling in the teaser.
I want to use it as avatar for Telegram and Forums

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I can't believe we've gotta be here again to root for Dixie, she should've been a lock last time with Tropical Freeze.

Oh well, we've got a port coming so that's gotta be double luck, right?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Way long overdue. The DK series is criminally underrepresented and Dixie’s an icon. Fully support.

D

Deleted member

Good luck. I feel more optimistic about Dixie than I do for most of my other wants.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Coming into state my support for Dixie, hope that she makes it in. Would love more DKC content.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Dropping in to say that I am all for Dixie in Smash for Switch. K. Rool is still my most wanted but DK deserves something. If that's in the form of K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, or even Funky, I'm all for it. Dixie would be a ton of fun.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
OK I've updated the OP with slight changes to the intro and an expansion on the Who is Dixie Kong category. I've also added JamesDNaux, GoodGrief741 and Galactic Petey to the support list :D Also, thanks for dropping back in TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom , it's always good to hear from you.

I can't believe we've gotta be here again to root for Dixie, she should've been a lock last time with Tropical Freeze.

Oh well, we've got a port coming so that's gotta be double luck, right?
I hope so. She was the most popular Kong in that game and for good reason; now that it's gonna reach a wider audience I'm confident she'll have a lot of new people warm up to her. And thanks for showing your support!

Way long overdue. The DK series is criminally underrepresented and Dixie’s an icon. Fully support.
Thoroughly agreed, and welcome to the Barrel! You've been added to the list, and you're actually the 150th supporter! The support buddies have been growing nice and steady over the years, so feel free to stick around.

Good luck. I feel more optimistic about Dixie than I do for most of my other wants.
Yea, me as well. Dixie doesn't seem to hold the same level of hype that others clearly do, but as Delzethin pointed out in his analysis vid, she has a lot going for her.

Dropping in to say that I am all for Dixie in Smash for Switch. K. Rool is still my most wanted but DK deserves something. If that's in the form of K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, or even Funky, I'm all for it. Dixie would be a ton of fun.
This right here is interesting. Personally I would like 2 DK slots, and while I'm hoping Dixie makes the cut I'm sure that whoever we get would have a fun moveset that provides something fresh. Also, you're the 151st to join the list. Welcome!

So we're back again... :nervous:
Yes. We're back again, and about time too--and like the other times, we're in the mood LMAO!

could someone do a pic with Dixie in the place of Inkling with the smash logo in her eye, please? in the same pose of Inkling in the teaser.
I want to use it as avatar for Telegram and Forums
Hey spatman. Digitally speaking, I'm not where I wanna be in skill level so I sadly have to decline, but maybe another user can help you out, like JamesDNaux?

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Dixie is long overdue! I really hope this is finally her time to get in the game. I won't lie, I'd be fine with any new DK character. Funky, Cranky, K. Rool, Heck, I'd take DK Jr. However, I feel Dixie deserves to get in above everyone else.

Top Bottom