• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Dont really want Kiddy as part of the moveset, doubt Sakurai/Nintendo would do that to begin with considering the character is dead having only appeared in a single title, two if you count DK Land 3.
But yeah. I feel if Kiddy can add more on Dixie's moveset, I wouldn't really mind him - since he was also big part of my memories with playing DKC3 when younger.
The acceptance of Kiddy being with Dixie in Smash seems to be relative to how much that person likes DKC3. About as expected, since we want characters from games we have played and liked (Like me, I love DKC3 and I think it's better than DKC1).
I'm fine with either idea, as long as I don't see Dixie using a Jet Pack, throwing bananas around or ignoring her ponytail for most of the moveset.

Hanging in there.

I just thought that if Retro or Playtonic (Based on the design of their latest game) were in charge of the remaking DKC2, those floating hooks would get a visual context to be there. I never used to put attention to these things until I started to see videos of Retro's game philosophy.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback and really good fanart everyone! I'm very proud of it and this entire thread.

As for Dixie-Kiddy, I'm not against it anymore like I used to be, so I wouldn't mind it. It's not my preferred choice but if they do that I want them to emphasize Dixie as the one running the 2-Kong duo. Not 50/50 like ICs; Dixie's the main monkey and Kiddy's the homunculus she employs at times. Basically he's the Luma to Dixie's Rosalina

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Gatekeepers beware.

Kiddy haters beware
There was a problem fetching the tweet

A narrow majority opposes Kiddy in Dixie's moveset in any form.

Way closer than I thought woah.

#ThisPollTellsTheTruth

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I see Seashore War is preparing the Wrinkly-Never-Died movement's press release when the Wrinkly poll goes up soon.

But the polls are legitimate. And the results are FINAL.

That also goes for you, Birth Note!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Can't say I disagree with the poll here. All the various Tropical Freeze tracks, including Amiss Abyss are great; Grassland Groove is transcendental.

Seriously, as many incredible video game songs that exist, you rarely ever get the perfect sync up of beautiful aesthetics and music which makes playing a level going from fun to a genuinely feeling like an artistic experience. Bramble Scramble in DKC2 was one, the Final Hours of Clock Town in Majora's Mask was another, and even to some degree Dire, Dire, Docks in Mario 64.

Just playing Grassland Groove the first time was when I immediately knew Tropical Freeze would reach the highs of DKC2's soundtrack and art design. It's that good.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Can't say I disagree with the poll here. All the various Tropical Freeze tracks, including Amiss Abyss are great; Grassland Groove is transcendental.

Seriously, as many incredible video game songs that exist, you rarely ever get the perfect sync up of beautiful aesthetics and music which makes playing a level going from fun to a genuinely feeling like an artistic experience. Bramble Scramble in DKC2 was one, the Final Hours of Clock Town in Majora's Mask was another, and even to some degree Dire, Dire, Docks in Mario 64.

Just playing Grassland Groove the first time was when I immediately knew Tropical Freeze would reach the highs of DKC2's soundtrack and art design. It's that good.
I can relate. Grassland Groove and Amiss Abyss are the two levels that almost made me cry when I played them for the first time.
And the music is a big factor why, but I think the changing music and the originality of Grassland Groove takes it. It may be my nostalgia boner for The Lion King LMAO.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I can relate. Grassland Groove and Amiss Abyss are the two levels that almost made me cry when I played them for the first time.
And the music is a big factor why, but I think the changing music and the originality of Grassland Groove takes it. It may be my nostalgia boner for The Lion King LMAO.
Its also an ideal level for showing why DKC is so good. If there was ever a stage to to demonstrate to someone who would otherwise dismiss it as a bog standard 2D platformer, its that one.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
So I cropped a Dixie out of a Tropical Freeze cutscene (sorry it's small), in case you need to react to shocking or exciting events:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You think you are so sneaky Sakurai.

View attachment 276917

Those in the pic are all Brawl reps. Seems like Sonic went to the No Hopes section again.
Not everyone...

Also, I realize it's a minor point, but I find it odd that Yoshi was put above Link. (who's in third if Diddy doesn't get enough DK coins)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I cropped a Dixie out of a Tropical Freeze cutscene (sorry it's small), in case you need to react to shocking or exciting events:

Thanks! I'll use that towards any crazy DK related announcements.

You think you are so sneaky Sakurai.

View attachment 276917

Those in the pic are all Brawl reps. Seems like Sonic went to the No Hopes section again.
Not everyone...

Also, I realize it's a minor point, but I find it odd that Yoshi was put above Link. (who's in third if Diddy doesn't get enough DK coins)
Mario, Yoshi, and Sonic are missing from the Smash pic as well.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Probably because Yoshi's Island just came out and turned heads. Mario's not going anywhere, but for Link's case he probably placed lower cuz Ocarina of Time hadn't come out and revolutionized gaming for another 3 years.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Probably because Yoshi's Island just came out and turned heads. Mario's not going anywhere, but for Link's case he probably placed lower cuz Ocarina of Time hadn't come out and revolutionized gaming for another 3 years.
I still think Link was somewhat higher in status than Yoshi at the time since Zelda was and still is Nintendo's 2nd most iconic franchise only behind the Mario franchise itself.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Not everyone...

I meant the Smash pic. Those are all Brawl newcomers, Sonic also is, but is still absent. Poor hedgehog, can't catch a break.

About Mario, Yoshi and Link in Cranky's Hero tier. Yeah, Zelda didn't actually become a big deal until Ocarina of Time. A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening were praised but Ocarina of Time was the moment it exploded in popularity.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I still think Link was somewhat higher in status than Yoshi at the time since Zelda was and still is Nintendo's 2nd most iconic franchise only behind the Mario franchise itself.
In the mid 90's though? I know Link To The Past was huge but Yoshi's attached to Mario World, Super Mario Kart and Yoshi's Island. OoT is when Zelda really blew up to even crazier heights, by then the series hadn't had a console game for 7 years (LTTP) and 5 years for handheld (Link's Awakening). By DKC2's time LTTP was 4 years ago. Basically Yoshi's association with Mario and being fresh on people's minds might've gotten him a higher spot on that podium.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In the mid 90's though? I know Link To The Past was huge but Yoshi's attached to Mario World, Super Mario Kart and Yoshi's Island. OoT is when Zelda really blew up to even crazier heights, by then the series hadn't had a console game for 7 years (LTTP) and 5 years for handheld (Link's Awakening). By DKC2's time LTTP was 4 years ago. Basically Yoshi's association with Mario and being fresh on people's minds might've gotten him a higher spot on that podium.
Perhaps. Plus Yoshi was originally intended to be in the original Super Mario Bros. for the NES.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its easy to forget now when the franchise gets so many games put out consistently, but Zelda went into a bit of a hibernation following Link's Awakening. Not to say that it ever became unpopular or forgotten because it wasn't, just that it became far less visible in the second half the SNES's lifespan. Circa 95-97, Nintendo's heavy hitters really did feel like Mario, Yoshi, and the Kongs, at least in the States.

Kirby was still gaining momentum, Wario had just kicked off his own spin-offs, and Metroid was liked but was taking its own break. 1998 changed everything as getting both Pokemon (outside Japan), and Ocarina of Time single-handedly elevated both those IPs to joining Mario as the trio of significant franchises, and kicking off a steady release of games that really hasn't stopped.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Dixie's being rated in the RTC thread!

She was in the Top 5 highest rankings by Want last time, so let’s make sure to keep her there! And with the many obstacles taken down by Min Min, I’m sure her chance rating should rise as well!
Doubting Bandana Dee's status as a Kirby main character completely took over there, is it really something that deserves to be debated after like 12 years of Kirby games with him constantly appearing? Sigh...
On one hand, no one doubts that Dixie is worth of being a playable character, which is great. On the other hand no ones talks about her.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I've said it before and I'll say it again the reason I think Dixie isn't talked about as much as say Bandana Dee is because their isn't a new DK game every other year the same way Kirby gets a new game every other year. Bandana Dee is overexposed because Kirby as a series is overexposed people will flock to whatever is new/shiny and shoved down their throats every 5 seconds. If Rare was still with Nintendo or if Retro wasn't slow as hell at making games (or when their other projects aren't cancelled) we would probably be receiving DK games on a regular basis instead of 1 game maybe every 5 years or so, which means more exposure to Dixie which in turn creates new fans and expands her fanbase.

I know what you're thinking "But that's not entirely true look at :ultkrool:or :ultbanjokazooie: they don't appear on a regular basis and were extremely popular and got in!" While you're right the thing with K.Rool and Banjo was that it was more than just making them playable in Smash. The fanbase was big because it was also a push/statement to Nintendo/Microsoft (in Banjo's case) that the fans don't want to see these characters fall into obscurity. K.Rool being added to Smash was mostly trying to tell Nintendo "Enough is enough! These one-off experimental villains aren't cutting it we want the OG back!" It was more about securing K.Rool a future in the DK franchise than just being playable in Smash. Banjo was the same it was more about showing Microsoft their is still a place in the gaming world for not only Banjo but 3D cartoony platformers on their consoles. They didn't want their franchise to completely die.

So with Dixie I feel she isn't as popular as she should be because like I said she isn't overly exposed as DK games don't come around very often, she rarely appears in major Mario spin-offs like Kart or Party and when she does appear in Kart its in the ****ty mobile game most of the world has moved on from playing. She also appeared in Tropical Freeze in 2014 despite not being in DK64 and Returns so their isnt this major push to "save this character" not to mention in Tropical Freeze she is treated like a glorified power-up and not a full playable character (unless you play hard mode which im sure less than 50% actually did) and that's where a lot of younger players know her from so in their minds their isn't much to work with. They don't/can't know the Dixie we know from DKC2/DKC3 because Nintendo refuses to put the DKC trilogy on SNES online to make it easily accessible to Switch gamers. Also with no new DK game in sight due to Retro working on Prime 4 their isn't much room for Dixie's fanbase to grow.

Also one other point Dixie isn't as popular as she honestly should be is that people seem to only care about 3rd party characters at this point. They are the dominant point of Smash speculation at the moment. Every 1st party character is considered "Safe and boring" by many unless you're Bandana Dee (mostly due to Japan) or Waluigi (because memes). I've seen people dismiss both Byleth and Min-Min as "boring 1st parties that should've been on the base roster or waited until Smash 6" as they see these 1st party characters as "wasted DLC slots that could've gone to my *insert my 3rd party character of choice here!*" Byleth got a lot of hate in particular but that's because people viewed him/her as just another "blue-haired anime FE swordsman to add to the already huge FE roster". Min-Min/ARMS character announcement on the other hand most people seemed luke warm on but eventually warmed up to once they played her/saw her in action. But she also was victim to "Ugghh another 1st party character!? Why do you keep adding Nintendo characters to your Nintendo published fighter about Nintendo characters fighting Nintendo!? WHY!? No one cares about ARMS!!" So if by miracle Dixie is one of the chosen Fighters pass 2 characters expect to hear a lot of the same moaning and complaining other 1st party DLC characters have gotten.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Also one other point Dixie isn't as popular as she honestly should be is that people seem to only care about 3rd party characters at this point. They are the dominant point of Smash speculation at the moment. Every 1st party character is considered "Safe and boring" by many unless you're Bandana Dee (mostly due to Japan) or Waluigi (because memes). I've seen people dismiss both Byleth and Min-Min as "boring 1st parties that should've been on the base roster or waited until Smash 6" as they see these 1st party characters as "wasted DLC slots that could've gone to my *insert my 3rd party character of choice here!*" Byleth got a lot of hate in particular but that's because people viewed him/her as just another "blue-haired anime FE swordsman to add to the already huge FE roster". Min-Min/ARMS character announcement on the other hand most people seemed luke warm on but eventually warmed up to once they played her/saw her in action. But she also was victim to "Ugghh another 1st party character!? Why do you keep adding Nintendo characters to your Nintendo published fighter about Nintendo characters fighting Nintendo!? WHY!? No one cares about ARMS!!" So if by miracle Dixie is one of the chosen Fighters pass 2 characters expect to hear a lot of the same moaning and complaining other 1st party DLC characters have gotten.
I've been wondering on if the general focus on 3rd Parties since last pass is indicative of 1st parties characters like Dixie not really having much chance to be explored as an explore unless she has some highly differing playstyle or moveset possibilites that really makes her stand out and be "exciting" fighter in the roster like last two 1st/2nd Party fighters have been so far. But yeah, I can really see many not liking her too much incase she just seemed to get in the way of their own wanted (3rd Party) character(s).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Doubting Bandana Dee's status as a Kirby main character completely took over there, is it really something that deserves to be debated after like 12 years of Kirby games with him constantly appearing? Sigh...
On one hand, no one doubts that Dixie is worth of being a playable character, which is great. On the other hand no ones talks about her.
Well at least Dixie has notable popularity. Toad really doesn't have any popularity at all in the Smash community which is sad because he is literally the most iconic Nintendo character missing from the roster.

I've said it before and I'll say it again the reason I think Dixie isn't talked about as much as say Bandana Dee is because their isn't a new DK game every other year the same way Kirby gets a new game every other year. Bandana Dee is overexposed because Kirby as a series is overexposed people will flock to whatever is new/shiny and shoved down their throats every 5 seconds. If Rare was still with Nintendo or if Retro wasn't slow as hell at making games (or when their other projects aren't cancelled) we would probably be receiving DK games on a regular basis instead of 1 game maybe every 5 years or so, which means more exposure to Dixie which in turn creates new fans and expands her fanbase.

I know what you're thinking "But that's not entirely true look at :ultkrool:or :ultbanjokazooie: they don't appear on a regular basis and were extremely popular and got in!" While you're right the thing with K.Rool and Banjo was that it was more than just making them playable in Smash. The fanbase was big because it was also a push/statement to Nintendo/Microsoft (in Banjo's case) that the fans don't want to see these characters fall into obscurity. K.Rool being added to Smash was mostly trying to tell Nintendo "Enough is enough! These one-off experimental villains aren't cutting it we want the OG back!" It was more about securing K.Rool a future in the DK franchise than just being playable in Smash. Banjo was the same it was more about showing Microsoft their is still a place in the gaming world for not only Banjo but 3D cartoony platformers on their consoles. They didn't want their franchise to completely die.

So with Dixie I feel she isn't as popular as she should be because like I said she isn't overly exposed as DK games don't come around very often, she rarely appears in major Mario spin-offs like Kart or Party and when she does appear in Kart its in the ****ty mobile game most of the world has moved on from playing. She also appeared in Tropical Freeze in 2014 despite not being in DK64 and Returns so their isnt this major push to "save this character" not to mention in Tropical Freeze she is treated like a glorified power-up and not a full playable character (unless you play hard mode which im sure less than 50% actually did) and that's where a lot of younger players know her from so in their minds their isn't much to work with. They don't/can't know the Dixie we know from DKC2/DKC3 because Nintendo refuses to put the DKC trilogy on SNES online to make it easily accessible to Switch gamers. Also with no new DK game in sight due to Retro working on Prime 4 their isn't much room for Dixie's fanbase to grow.

With how popular Dixie is now, I can't even imagine how much more popular of a Smash request she would be if the DKC games came out every other year like Kirby and Fire Emblem. I think her popularity would skyrocket to the top 10.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Brought Back Banjo on Twitter has posted his own rendition of spirit boards for his most wanted FP, which includes a DK board for (presumably) Dixie.

Also, be sure to rate Dixie on RTC if you haven't already!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
At the risk of exposing utter ignorance on the DK series, what does Kiddy Kong even do in DKC3 aside from roll? Could that be a Dixie side B where Kiddy appears from nowhere to roll, with Dixie stepping on him with the donkey from the country I don’t know I havent played the games

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At the risk of exposing utter ignorance on the DK series, what does Kiddy Kong even do in DKC3 aside from roll? Could that be a Dixie side B where Kiddy appears from nowhere to roll, with Dixie stepping on him with the donkey from the country I don’t know I havent played the games
Here's Kiddy's benefits:

-Holds barrels in front of him as opposed to above
-Can bounce on water
-Capable of tossing Dixie in the air or giving a hard land if he's tossed by Dixie

Basically not a great deal that really adds much to a potential Dixie Smash moveset.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I wonder if we will ever see this goal become a reality at some point. After they got into Smash we still have yet to see the success of this plan.

The third party focus seemed like a bandwagon that happened for the 4 characters in a row from the First Fighter Pass. I assure you :ultbyleth: would have gotten hate regardless of what other characters were in the pass, Fire Emblem's overexposure was the problem there.
Yeah, ARMS was probably indifference because of the game dying out quickly and not being particulary loved like Splatoon was. But :ultminmin herself managed to be received pretty well (Would had people reacted differently if she was revealed right away in March? Probably).
If the character pack 7 is a first party people actually have been requesting, you will see that most people want first parties. It's just the selection of the last two made that impression.

With Dixie, it's weird, she's often brought up ranking super high, no one has arguments to oppose her inclusion. Yet, everywhere no one actually wants to discuss about her. It feels weird. But I prefer that to have another "they are irrelevant" argument :ultkrool:, :ultbanjokazooie:.

Here's Kiddy's benefits:

-Holds barrels in front of him as opposed to above
-Can bounce on water
-Capable of tossing Dixie in the air or giving a hard land if he's tossed by Dixie

Basically not a great deal that really adds much to a potential Dixie Smash moveset.
Kiddy is actually faster than Dixie ironically. Specially if you know how to move and jump with that roll. But yeah, Kiddy in Smash would be another take on :ultdk: maybe with some sparks of actual DK references there and there and Kiddy having to throw Dixie to recover.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I feel like Dixie is like Isabelle where she’s acknowledged as popular and likely, but also kind of figured out in what she would do and not really questioned it? Unless I missed the big Isabelle war of ‘18 I felt she wasn’t discussed either and we all had this mutual understanding that she’s got what it takes

Top Bottom