• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Or maybe Sakurai and co are just embarrassed to try and do remixs of more DKC tracks since they might think that they can't do the music justice. It sounds silly, but I think Sakurai cares about what the original composers think of their remixs.
Sakurai: "Thank you for your arrangement Mr. Kirkhope"

Grant: "You are welcome Mr. Sakurai"

Sakurai: "By mere casuality, would you happen to have the number of Mr. David Wise?"

Grant: "Oh. Of course here you have it"

Sakurai: "Thank you"

I wish

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sakurai: "Thank you for your arrangement Mr. Kirkhope"

Grant: "You are welcome Mr. Sakurai"

Sakurai: "By mere casuality, would you happen to have the number of Mr. David Wise?"

Grant: "Oh. Of course here you have it"

Sakurai: "Thank you"

I wish
It's a possibility. It's not like Sakurai would be unaware of that since he mentioned the obscure western exclusive GBA games Grunty's Revenge and Banjo Pilot in Banjo & Kazooie's presentation. Sakurai knows his gaming lore.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, if we really did get Dixie Kong through a challenger pack, I think having it be themed primarily around DKC3 would make a lot of sense.

It's the one game (besides DKL3, I guess) that's all hers, and really outside of K. Rool's up special and two spirits, it doesn't have much representation in Smash at all. At least Tropical Freeze has a few rips.

Stage:

Lakeside Limbo

Music:

Dixie's Beat
Stilt Village
Stilt Village (GBA)
Rockface Rumble
Cascade Capers
Water World
Bonus Time
Big Boss Blues

Spirits:

Kiddy Kong
Ellie (inherented from spirit board)
Parry the Parallel Bird
Nibbla
Bazuka
Kobble
Krumple
Belcha
Bleak
Baron K. Roolenstein (finally given a spirit battle)
Queen Banana Bird

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, if we really did get Dixie Kong through a challenger pack, I think having it be themed primarily around DKC3 would make a lot of sense.

It's the one game (besides DKL3, I guess) that's all hers, and really outside of K. Rool's up special and two spirits, it doesn't have much representation in Smash at all. At least Tropical Freeze has a few rips.

Stage:

Lakeside Limbo

Music:

Dixie's Beat
Stilt Village
Stilt Village (GBA)
Rockface Rumble
Cascade Capers
Water World
Bonus Time
Big Boss Blues

Spirits:

Kiddy Kong
Parry the Parallel Bird
Nibbla
Bazuka
Kobble
Krumple
Belcha
Bleak
Queen Banana Bird
Dixie's Challenger Pack could come with DKC3 music and Tropical Freeze music. I see no point limiting the soundtrack to only one game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Stage:

Lakeside Limbo

Music:

Dixie's Beat
Stilt Village
Stilt Village (GBA)
Rockface Rumble
Cascade Capers
Water World
Bonus Time
Big Boss Blues

Spirits:

Kiddy Kong
Parry the Parallel Bird
Nibbla
Bazuka
Kobble
Krumple
Belcha
Bleak
Queen Banana Bird
You gotta have SNES Nuts And Bolts on that list. With the right remix at the right tempo, that track is badass:

I like playing it at 1.25 speed, but normal is fine too.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Hey what if Dixie got in, but in order to make her very unique as a DLC newcomer, she revived Brawl's scrapped Diddy/Dixie tag-team idea but instead was paired with Kiddy Kong?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey what if Dixie got in, but in order to make her very unique as a DLC newcomer, she revived Brawl's scrapped Diddy/Dixie tag-team idea but instead was paired with Kiddy Kong?
That would be a horrible idea especially with Kiddy. I didn't even like the conspect of the idea of Dixie and Diddy being a tag team duo character for Brawl. At most, Dixie she be a semi-clone or unique fighter with her hair attacks and some animal buddy Specials

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'd like it, or rather, I could like it, it depends how they would implement it.
It could be also more interesting than Dixie alone, actually, but I think it would be safer betting int the best design for a Dixie alone

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Had to yet come to share my thoughts on Min-Min cracking the whole Spirits Deconfirm-"rule" - I wondered a while how to even answer, and I might not come off as exactly pepped up as a lot of have been. Opinions would be highly appreciated.

Now, despite all of that, sadly IDK if I'm feeling willing to hold my breath yet for Dixie - perhaps for Rayman, but not Dixie as much. Probably gonna spit a lot of pessimistic views under, but right now I feel beyond anxious to even hopping on this "final" train to support Dixie to the end.

I guess my biggest question will be: what would exactly make Sakurai or even Nintendo itself, push for Dixie becoming playable these days, especially over the 3rd Parties that would generate much more hype - or even if prehensile hair of Dixie being enough to be even explored as an addition?

Can I wait all way into 2021's end to get answer to those questions, especially with how, as far as I've come to observe, practically ANY character could be added as long as they pose for a fun design or possibilites or creative moveset, and Dixie's been just absent up to this point anyway? Remembering back on how this was same with Toad, who kept on forced to NPC-roles, until it more or less was implied that's all Sakurai saw him as by the time Piranha Plant made it to the scene - I don't exactly feel like living through similar "realization" after Dixie staying absent at the very end of this Fighter Pass, especially with this being ultimate boat to miss out at the end, frankly.

A ton of stakes, and I'm having a recurring hunch with my reasons on why Dixie should be in, most likely not shared with Sakurai, is really having me leaning on not seeing her make it to Ultimate still, despite ARMS now getting a place after already another Nintendo-centric IP. Remembering back on watching a lot of characters from my previous speculation periods getting deconfirmed here and there due varying levels of obscurity/nicheness (Starfy, Takamaru, Lip, Isaac, perhaps Lloyd Irving) or just not finding their ways as a fighter due varying lack of moveset potential or position (Toad, Dixie, any Rhythm Heaven-reps, and possibly Rayman) - is making investment on Dixie... not exactly encouraging, especially on long-term.

Now, I don't want any of this to make ya'll feel discouraged. I guess I wonder how you guys can press on, especially with so little slots left - and a lot of implications that what the Smash-fans think isn't exactly anywhere reasons or "indicators" on what characters we'll see. I kinda dunno if I'm up to it here, especially with such long time window.

I keep forgetting Bubbles being one of the chars in Donkey Kong: King of Swing. Still brings a charmed smile on my face. :4pacman:
It's perfectly understandable to be a little pessimistic even after the spirit fan rule was broken. Of course, it doesn't mean Dixie is 100% guaranteed but she still has a decent shot. I do have a couple/few questions after Min Min's confirmation. First, when was it decided that the ARMS director requested Sakurai to put Min Min in? She was a spirit in the base game and I know for certain that the 1st Fighter's Pass was decided internally at E3 2018. Also, I've heard/read that the 2nd pass might have been decided on last year (I maybe wrong on the times though).

Second, when will Nintendo start promoting DK again? It's crazy to think back in the mid 90's Donkey Kong had more popularity than Mario (the flagship character). It's unfortunate that popularity fell off and the games haven't been consistent as far as releases go. It has been 6 years since Tropical Freeze has released (2 for the Switch port). Logically, since DK is one of Nintendo's biggest properties, you would think that they would be promoted across the gaming landscape, but no sadly. DKC didn't even get a shoutout on the game's 25th anniversary, but instead New Super Mario Bros. Wii got the mention for their 10th anniversary. At least with Dixie and Funky getting into Mario Kart Tour, it's a start I suppose. I just hope the rumors of something big happening for DK are true according to Hyle and DK Vine. A lot of us are starving for a new DK game during this drought and we can only hope.

Third, there plenty of DK content that can be added to Smash whether it's stages, items, music, etc. It would nice to have a stage that is not jungle based and I don't mind the jungle stages, but it tends to get stale after awhile. At least Ultimate got more DK tracks beside Jungle Hijinx and there is more diversity for that too especially DKC 2, 3, and Tropical Freeze. There is definitely more optimism after Min Min, but sometime we have to look at things realistically as well. We have approximately 18 months left for the second pass and who knows when the next character reveal will happen. It'll be a long wait regardless. It's nice to see Dixie get more attention especially after MKT. Dixie is easily one of the missing pieces to the roster alongside Waluigi IMO. It still sucks for someone, who was planned to be in Brawl over 12 years ago, that Dixie has been cast aside all these years.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Stage:

Lakeside Limbo

Music:

Dixie's Beat
Stilt Village
Stilt Village (GBA)
Rockface Rumble
Cascade Capers
Water World
Bonus Time
Big Boss Blues

Spirits:

Kiddy Kong
Parry the Parallel Bird
Nibbla
Bazuka
Kobble
Krumple
Belcha
Bleak
Queen Banana Bird
Nah, make it more varied, you can't make a Dixie-themed pass without including the best game of all time her debut game and fixing the horrid representation the DK franchise still has.
3 stages that are all jungles, 2 are completely made up (Jungle Japes stage isn't from DK64, that's a LIE). Almost every song comes from DKC1 (Mostly the fault of the 7 versions of Jungle Hijinxs) and DKC2 only has 3 songs when the soundtrack is absolutely amazing and deserves way more. And TF has only one song, Mangrove Cove (Technically 2 but the other one is the obligatory Jungle Hijixs remix). You can't just make it about DKC3 and let this opportunity pass.

Music:
Mining Melancholy
Forest Interlude
Krook's March

Nuts and Bolts ( BirthNote BirthNote that version is really good, but I like this remix more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwH9fPZd6Ng)
Rockface Rumble
Stilt Village (GBA) (We need an official remix to make this song justice)
Big Boss Blues

Windmill Hills (Maybe remixed?)
Big Top Bop
Grassland Groove
Scorch N Torch
Punch Bowl
Volcano Dome

That would be a horrible idea especially with Kiddy. I didn't even like the conspect of the idea of Dixie and Diddy being a tag team duo character for Brawl. At most, Dixie she be a semi-clone or unique fighter with her hair attacks and some animal buddy Specials
Well, if they make the duo like :zelda: / :sheik: or :ultpokemontrainer: and Dixie still has her full moveset but Kiddy follows you around like Nana (Without attacking) and viceversa, then I wouldn't see the problem, just play with Dixie and ignore Kiddy (But I suppose she would start to have problems killing, living the life of the solo :ultsquirtle: mains).
But I still see that idea as a win, it would be like having two new DK reps in one package.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey, y'all remember that Cloud Flower Dixie I made back in 2018, right? This one to be exact:
https://imgur.com/h22Xdnd
I recently made a follow-up to it:

Hope y'all like this little Mario Galaxy 2-inspired crossover, also please put it on twitter whenever the chance presents itself! No need to rush.
Nuts and Bolts ( BirthNote BirthNote that version is really good, but I like this remix more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwH9fPZd6Ng)
Yeah I just heard it, I like it a lot!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Very cute! I'll post it tomorrow! You know, theoretically, Cloud Dixie is possible with something like Mario Kart Tour. It would be interesting if they started making alts based on Mario Power ups for all the characters.

Just think of it. Hammer Dixie. I can feel my wallet bursting into flames at the thought of trying to get her.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Very cute! I'll post it tomorrow! You know, theoretically, Cloud Dixie is possible with something like Mario Kart Tour. It would be interesting if they started making alts based on Mario Power ups for all the characters.

Just think of it. Hammer Dixie. I can feel my wallet bursting into flames at the thought of trying to get her.
See, I read Cloud Dixie and immediately thought 'So, she would Omnislash but with her pony tail?'

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I don't think I've ever seen Mario costumes for the DK characters, understandably so because the Animal Buddies had that function, but still.... Propeller DK and Diddy would be funny to see. That way they can keep up with Dixie in the sky.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, it’s been a while, but I wanted to reflect on what has happened recently as it pertains to the Donkey Kong series.

I am mixed about Dixie being in Mario Kart Tour as everyone is here. While I am happy our girl Dixie has finally gotten in a game for quite some time (she is starting to get the attention she deserves), it’s still a gacha game she’s in. It’s just so weird to this day because IMO characters like Gold Mario and Pink Peach Peach would work better in a game like Mario Kart Tour, and characters like Diddy, Dixie, Funky, and Pauline belong in a game like Mario Kart 8.

I have heard rumors of a Mario Kart 9 coming, but instead of this year, it has been delayed for 2021. It’s only speculation, but if this is true, I truly hope Mario Kart 9 has the fun gameplay of Mario Kart 8 while having the roster more in the lines of Mario Kart Tour. Mario Kart 9 can potentially be everything we hoped for.

I am also optimistic about the future of DKC. At the very least, I am cautiously optimistic. I feel like we will get a new DKC game announced by the end of 2021. In the past, I was hopeful about this, but this time I feel more confident about it. With the heat of competition in the gaming industry and new consoles on the horizon from the other companies; I feel like Nintendo, being the business people that they are, are preparing for the right time to surprise their consumers.

The thing is though, I hope Dixie gets in this Smash game so I don’t have to wait years for her to get in the next one. I know some Smash gamers out there think it’s bizarre paying for a DLC semi-clone, but I would much rather have her get in as DLC as her own character rather than being in the base roster as an echo fighter of Diddy.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh yeah, some guy is making a sprite sheet of SMB3 styled DK with different powerups.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I wonder if Fire Dixie's hair would be on fire.
Super Saiyan Dixie.

K. Rool kills Diddy.

Super Saiyan Dixie Kong: IT IS OVVVEEERRR K. RRROOOLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K. Rool: You won't be able to destroy my invincible belly armor monkey. Prepare to meet extinction along with the rest of the Kongs and your monkey race.

Super Saiyan Dixie Kong: I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU K. ROOL!!! THIS IS FOR DIDDY!!! 'Teleports real fast next to K. Rool and breaks his belly armor.'

K. Rool: IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Super Saiyan Dixie Kong: HAIR TWISTER!!!

K. Rool: NO!!! I WILL NOT LOSE TO A MONKEY!!! 'Pulls out his Blunderbuss to full power.' PREPARE TO DIE KONG!!!

'Their energy beams collide with each other. Dixie overpowers K. Rool.'

K. Rool: NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Saiyan Dixie Kong: Never come back to DK Isle again you monster.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
I really hope that Dixie is in the fighter’s pass. It really feels like she should be in the game. Metroid added both Dark Samus and Ridley. We should have had the same treatment with King K. Rool and Dixie.

If Geno, Rex (Pyra/Mythra) and Dixie are all in, it would be a dream come true. I think they all have a shot :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes. That's what I want. Look at the OP. My moveset should be there.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I support Kiddy Kong being in Dixie's moveset! But I think your moveset takes it too far IMO. People already complain about Returns and TF making the non-DK Kongs feel like powerups, I think that would not be good if we got something very similar to that in Smash and Dixie was the "buddy".

I think the relationship should be flipped around. Kiddy is the buddy used for select attacks, and is stored in Dixie's hair.

E.G.

Up Smash, Kiddy is launched upward, hitting opponents in his way, and when he falls to the floor, he creates a little earthquake that damages any opponents touching the floor nearby.

Side Smash, Kiddy is thrown to the side Dixie's facing like a big baby bowling ball. He ricochets off the walls and Dixie can hop on to ride him, benefiting from Kiddy's super armor.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I really hope that Dixie is in the fighter’s pass. It really feels like she should be in the game. Metroid added both Dark Samus and Ridley. We should have had the same treatment with King K. Rool and Dixie.

If Geno, Rex (Pyra/Mythra) and Dixie are all in, it would be a dream come true. I think they all have a shot :)
Is this your first post in here or is the first time Im seeing one of your posts? Either way welcome! As I really enjoy seeing fresh new usernames join the discussion.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Thanks. Yes first post on the Dixie thread. She is a must for Smash and I’ve liked the character since my childhood.
Too bad she hasn’t appeared more. I’m sure if she didn’t disappear for all those years she would be in Smash by now.
C’mon Nintendo!!

I definitely support Dixie as her own character nom echo

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think incorporating Kiddy into her moveset gives her a lot of interesting moveset potential that could make her unique from other characters. But at the same time I want Dixie to shine as her own character and not simply one part of a duo. I'm sure there's a good balance that can be struck.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Dont really want Kiddy as part of the moveset, doubt Sakurai/Nintendo would do that to begin with considering the character is dead having only appeared in a single title, two if you count DK Land 3.

If anything I'd rather have Dixie incorporate Rambi, Squitter, Squawks, or Ellie as part of her moveset than another Kong to be honest. If she even NEEDS to incorporate other characters to begin with. I think she would work perfectly on her own and still be unique. THAT being said besides Pokemon Trainer (kinda) their aren't any other characters that spawn other characters from their franchise as their special moves (well I guess Dedede with Gordos and Peach/Daisy with Toads/Bob-Ombs) so from that perspective if lets say every B special move was assigned to an animal buddy like "Down B Rambi Charge, Up B Squawks Carry, Side B Ellie Water shoot, neutral B Squitter web shoot" that would be unique.

But at that point you would have to question what makes Dixie herself unique. Cause if you go the route I listed above you might as well make "Animal Crate: The Character". Its a delicate balance for sure but Im sure whatever the team come up with for Dixie's moveset Im sure I'll be satisfied or at the very least warm up to it.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Well, Dixie's spirit (who I no longer fear thanks to Min Min) upgrades into Dixie and Kiddy, not Dixie and Squitter or any other animal friend.

Kiddy's abilities also complement Dixie's much better than any of the animal buddies. Dixie throwing around tremor causing big baby Kiddy with her ponytail fits into the theme of Dixie's ponytail doing extraordinary things, including lifting heavy objects.

Meanwhile if we had an animal buddy like Ellie popping out to vacuum the sweat out of the sweaty opponents' armpits (the water has to come from somewhere) to shoot sweat water bullets, I don't think that really fits in with Dixie.

For a non-mudslinging example, I don't really "get" how Squitter making platforms or shooting web fits into Dixie either. Kiddy is the better choice IMO, as long as we don't just transform the character into DKCR/DKCTF DK except with Kiddy now and Dixie riding on his back.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The Min Min fighter spirit is pretty cool. They didn't use the artwork render that was already a spirit, they brought another one (Or a new one? I've never seen that before) instead.
Well, good thing Dixie has a huge amount of renders. They could use the Rare or the PAON render for the fighter spirit.
Also, the ARMS Spirits you already fought and beat are already shown as "clear" when you start the DLC spirit board, but Ninjara and Ribbon Girl came with new spirit battles using the DLC material.

So, in a summary. They can do whatever they want with the DLC.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Min Min can also equip the Min Min spirit, becoming Minminminmin.

Also, the spirits deconfirm bul- I mean, argument, has been completely and utterly destroyed in every way.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Dixie's moveset should be that each one of her attacks summons a different Brothers Bear

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If we discussing Kiddy's corporation to Dixie's moveset, might as well bring this in again:

So some food for thought that I had when I read all the views up to this point about on the Dixie's overall "absence" in K.Rool's reveal trailer. Might get bit long too, but I believe this might be pretty substantial to what we might receive about Dixie in the future.

To begin, I personally am hypothesizing that by most likely case, we won't be getting Dixie revealed in a way we expect through being continuation of K.Rool's trailer incase she's an Echo.

So far, all the Echoes were revealed via dropping them right off the bat in our faces during the presentations. The only exception to this was Richter, but that was again due being part of Simon's trailer overall.

However, K.Rool's trailer ended up not featuring Dixie in any form, so the "boat" for that has passed for her (I really wanted to say "ship", but it doesn't really work figuratively).

I'm presuming there's two outcomes that could come later regarding how we might see Dixie later.

The more likely outcome would be that we see Dixie's revealed in a later Direct as an echo, coming in from another "wave" of announcements featuring that Direct's Echo Fighters (much like Chrom & Dark Samus).

This by the way, won't feature a "continuation" to where we left off from K.Rool's trailer, as Echoes don't get such extrensive reveals, but instead are just dropped right on our faces to be shown. I presume they reveal her on SSBU's hypothetical Tropical Freeze-stage to tie in with Dixie's recent adventure in that game.

The conclusion we could then come from why she ended up an Echo despite her enduring popularity and demand from Smash-community would be that K.Rool' was just higher priority and asked for more resources due being such an unique character, so Dixie would have had to put away to a shelf some while as a considerable candidate to the roster by her own whole uniqueness, and then been casted as an Echo after dev time seemed to be plentiful enough to make some clones.

By this logic, I feel like she should have been featured in K.Rool's trailer - the only reason why she wasn't would have been to showcase her in the Tropical Freeze-stage.

Now to the other hypothesis I've made up out of what we have received so far, and what it might be in store for Dixie, incase she'd be unique. I'm thinking people will raise eyebrows at this, but just bear with me on this.

If the fact that we didn't see Dixie back in K.Rool's trailer is because she's still being worked on as a semi-clone in vein of Lucas/Wolf, I think a trailer to justify all that would feel teensy underwhelming, unless she has lots to offer despite using the same mold as Diddy Kong. See the Echo-part above.

Another thing to note is that the trailers for newcomers have all used crossover theme throughout them via featuring other Smashers, as per what we had also in Smash 4's ensemble of newcomer trailers.

So if Dixie were to get her own trailer, it'd have to have her go against not only K.Rool, but also some other villains that might be with him.

Now I don't want to say she can't take on them all together, but if I were Sakurai, I think her being another take on Diddy with hair mainly on the center would feel tad like waste of resources better used to showcase another character with more unique features to sell them at Smash's overall crowd.

In fact, if she seems more or less another spin on Diddy (harhar), what could make her unique features be even more accentuated and complemented with?

The answer is to all of this is...

Now hear me out. I know this would make Dixie not be featured on her own end and I don't try to imply she can't be unique enough to stand on her own but at the same time, I think Dixie being tagged with Kiddy Kong would be more interesting to Sakurai, as that not only allows for something unique to be made out of her as a playstyle, but also lets her more unique aspects to flourish even more, being able to pull stuff from recent DK-games, such as Returns + Tropical Freeze.

Starting in DKC2 and 3, you had "Team-Up"-ability, which allowed you to carry your teammate and throw them to reach unreachable places both above and below - or you could just lob them at your enemies to defeat them.

This became kind of the main component behind the Kong Barrel-system we saw in Returns, where upon getting it DK could be able to hover via Diddy's rocket barrel - and allow continuous rolling if you kept shaking the Wiimote (or held the button on the 3DS-port):

So what I am trying to suggest could be in the works is that Sakurai would have gone to revisit the tag team concept that he tried to implement with Diddy and Dixie in Brawl, except with Kiddy Kong this time. This would allow Dixie to use her ponytail not only for attacks, but also lob Kiddy at enemies, or even set him for a roll as we saw in DKCR, among other ideas for tag team attacks.

Speaking which, that bit about how DKCR had continuous rolling?

It actually is from DKC3.

So it all adds up.

Imagine if in her reveal trailer, Dixie goes against K.Rool and some villains along him. She then whistles for a call, and suddenly out of nowhere comes a toddler chimp that's almost her size. The villains laugh at this, but then Dixie hauls Kiddy up with her ponytail, and throws him at them. After that, Kiddy might rebound back to Dixie, who then might try her best to carry in the air (like her Helicopter Twirl from Tropical Freeze), and use that to set up for B-Rolling Attack, and proceeds bowl over rest of the villains, until freeing DK and Diddy (incase they were shown imprisoned in cages in the trailer.)

Now I guess the things that would be ending up open here would be if Kiddy's overall implementation - would he be like Luma/Nana, or could you actually play as him? If he'd be also controllable, I can see him be (fittingly) portrayed as mini-sized echo of DK, and you could play as him via switching (giving you basically two characters to play as via former Zelda/Sheik).

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this matter. What do you all think of this? I really try to not invalidate Dixie's uniqueness here, but again, I'm just pinning down what might go down with her as of late, and with the Echo Factor playing so strong, I'm feeling less confident that we might be getting her as uniquely as she could be.

Anywho... I wouldn't mind Kiddy too much joining up with Dixie - heck, Kiddy could even be corporated as central basis, or secondary part to Dixie's possible "gameplay mechanic", that could bolster up her moveset to be something interesting and fresh. As of late I feel this might be one of the more interesting endgames for her, and perhaps represent her starring title more. Two ways I can see this go:

- Either Kiddy would be the heavy-weighted AI-controller partner that Dixie can use with her specials or grab and throw at other Smashers as way of KO:ing them better, be hurled at them herself, maybe power up her range/power with him around, etc. There's also the possible corporations of some mechanics seen in DK-series as a whole, like "Continous Roll" from DKCR and Tropical Freeze, which might have originated all way up from DKC3. Dixie basically would be in the spotlight, with Kiddy being her source of more raw knockout power.

However, depending on how this would be corporated, might lead this mechanic feeling like regurgitation of ones seen by Olimar, Rosalina and Joker, so I wonder how likely would this the way to corporate her.

- Another way could be making Dixie and Kiddy actually two separate characters with their own movesets playing to their strengths, while also needing each other to function all the more better. Dixie would be the acrobatically graceful and light fighter of the duo, while Kiddy could provide more unorthodox, yet heavy-hitting attacks befitting his stronk toddler nature. Basically taking how they functioned in DKC3, as did DK and Diddy in their previous titles, and taking the tagteam actions as the source inspiration on building their moveset.

I can see a mechanic to swap both anytime to corporate this, and perhaps another where other can get KO'd more harsher than the other in style of DKC-series' original health system - during which other can function on their own, but might have some of their moves become less effective as one of the characters is now absent that was needed to make them function better. Sorta like evolving the duo mechanic archetype as seen by some characters, except now with two unique fighter movesets in one, having their own strengths that complement one another: in this case Dixie's agile and acrobatic moves that could have them gain more power via Kiddy providing the muscle, and conversely Kiddy's heavy weight and probably poor recovery aided better by Dixie's airborne capabilities.

But yeah. I feel if Kiddy can add more on Dixie's moveset, I wouldn't really mind him - since he was also big part of my memories with playing DKC3 when younger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom