• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Dixie on her own can offer quite a moveset. There aren't many fighters that can fight with a huge disjoint and have their hands free (Maybe :ultridley:? Not :ultmewtwo: anymore sadly, that tail hurtbox killed it).

Well, if Dixie came in a Tag Team with Kiddy I wouldn't complain either. If you can trade between them at any time like :ultpokemontrainer: and but have to keep both alive like :ulticeclimbers: that would be quite the unique character.

BTW Baron K. Roolenstein can finally have his spirit battle, since he was only a summon on the base game.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
And we can finally get his theme remixed as well. After how amazing and popular Gangplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony's Smash remixes were it's a shame we never got the DKC3 equivalent.

Big Boss Blues has never been that popular of a theme sadly. Often citen as not exciting enough and anti-climatic, all that paired with a very methodic and slow fight where the boss is flying around waiting to be hit (Compared to how agressive Kaptain was and how energetic Crocodile Cacophony is).
And I have to agree with that, I think the normal boss theme sounds more menacing than the final boss theme.

But I have listened to very chill songs being turned into real bangers like Beneath the Mask or Animal Crossing Title Theme (Bless ACE's magic).

If Big Boss Blues is ever added, I hope it sounds like this fan remix which I adore:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Dixie on her own can offer quite a moveset. There aren't many fighters that can fight with a huge disjoint and have their hands free (Maybe :ultridley:? Not :ultmewtwo: anymore sadly, that tail hurtbox killed it).

Well, if Dixie came in a Tag Team with Kiddy I wouldn't complain either. If you can trade between them at any time like :ultpokemontrainer: and but have to keep both alive like :ulticeclimbers: that would be quite the unique character.

BTW Baron K. Roolenstein can finally have his spirit battle, since he was only a summon on the base game.
oooh, until now I always thought of wanting Dixie alone, but I love this mechanics which sums up PT switch and ICs!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Good to see someone being reasonable about that.

Also, that's an interesting point you bring up in regards to the K. Roolenstein spirit, I could see them do something like that if it hypothetically happened.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The Animal Crossing update is already pulling me back to the game by adding swimming and diving.

But wait, I live in the southern hemisphere, and my island is freezing to death now.

I guess this update will be quite the Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The Animal Crossing update is already pulling me back to the game by adding swimming and diving.

But wait, I live in the southern hemisphere, and my island is freezing to death now.

I guess this update will be quite the Tropical Freeze.

This wouldn't happen to be your island, would it?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If a stage were included with Dixie, would it be classic trilogy based or Tropical Freeze based?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
This wouldn't happen to be your island, wouldn't it?

It isn't. But I would be glad if my island was that. I mean, who doesn't want Seashore War playing when you are getting hypothermia for swimming and diving in freezing water?

If a stage were included with Dixie, would it be classic trilogy based or Tropical Freeze based?
Personal preference:

But I think Krocodile Isle would work well. I can think of Krazy Kremland, where it travels from the honeycombs to the amusement park and finally reaches the brambles, and then goes back to the start. It would be great to represent Dixie, DKC2, K. Rool's territory and it's NOT a Jungle.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As much as I would like it to be a unique locale/level from DKC2 or DKC:TF lets be honest with ourselves its probably gonna be just another generic jungle and shes gonna come with 2 TF tracks, 1 DKC2 track, and 15 Jungle Hijinx remixes.

Troykv

Smash Master
As much as I would like it to be a unique locale/level from DKC2 or DKC:TF lets be honest with ourselves its probably gonna be just another generic jungle and shes gonna come with 2 TF tracks, 1 DKC2 track, and 15 Jungle Hijinx remixes.
I imagine is going to be a jungle, but there is even a limit of how much Jungle Hijinx you can remix xD

(BTW, how many remixes we have so far?)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Smash staff is really, really, really, really, really traditionalistic when it comes to picking stages. Even when a series' first fighter isn't even remotely associated with the first stage for it (as Min Min shows).

I imagine is going to be a jungle, but there is even a limit of how much Jungle Hijinx you can remix xD

5, just about. 6 if you include the Gear Getaway arrangement.

At least we already have the Mangrove Cove song.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Good thing that the DK games where Dixie is playable never have typical jungle levels, it's always at least frozen or looks very different (I'm talking about those placed in the Lost World of DKC2 or in the last world of DKC3).

About the obnoxious quantity of Jungle Hijinxs remixes, here we have all of them:

1.- Jungle Level (Smash Bros. 64) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSggYMBfUE
2.- Jungle Japes (Melee) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBlo8GdHa0
3.- Jungle Level (Brawl) (Cut from Ultimate) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBP1Lxsj0wc
4.- Jungle Level Ver. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RwYZrI8Bzg
^This one is called Jungle Level (Brawl) in Ultimate, there are SO MANY of them that they had to cut the previous one.
5.- Jungle Hijinxs (Donkey Kong Country Returns) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj_EdzOyrCc
6.- Jungle Level Jazz Style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KirT7bEpQ3c
7.- Jungle Level Tribal Style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXbgWV6UMSs
8.- Swinger Flinger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jPPBQQJLFc (Wrongly named since this tune isn't used for that level and it plays for the first time on Bopopolis)

It still pales in comparison to the 12 versions of the Zelda Main theme, but at least Zelda has a ton of musical variety from multiple games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, considering how :ultkrool:'s inclusion actually gave us a slight bit more of musical variety, I think we could get that with Dixie as well. I find it odd how Big Boss Blues was the only K. Rool song from the trilogy to not get included, so she could come with that at the very least.

Troykv

Smash Master
Good thing that the DK games where Dixie is playable never have typical jungle levels, it's always at least frozen or looks very different (I'm talking about those placed in the Lost World of DKC2 or in the last world of DKC3).

About the obnoxious quantity of Jungle Hijinxs remixes, here we have all of them:

1.- Jungle Level (Smash Bros. 64) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSggYMBfUE
2.- Jungle Japes (Melee) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBlo8GdHa0
3.- Jungle Level (Brawl) (Cut from Ultimate) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBP1Lxsj0wc
4.- Jungle Level Ver. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RwYZrI8Bzg
^This one is called Jungle Level (Brawl) in Ultimate, there are SO MANY of them that they had to cut the previous one.
5.- Jungle Hijinxs (Donkey Kong Country Returns) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj_EdzOyrCc
6.- Jungle Level Jazz Style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KirT7bEpQ3c
7.- Jungle Level Tribal Style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXbgWV6UMSs
8.- Swinger Flinger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jPPBQQJLFc (Wrongly named since this tune isn't used for that level and it plays for the first time on Bopopolis)

It still pales in comparison to the 12 versions of the Zelda Main theme, but at least Zelda has a ton of musical variety from multiple games.
Dammit, Brawl and Wii U really did give too much the "DK is Jungle Hijinx" feeling (What the ****, each game give DK Island Swing 2 remixes, and got even more versions with the Source tracks like with Bopopolis).

Goodness, one of the weirdest and nicest thing about DK Remixes in Ultimate, is that there aren't DK Hijinx new versions (Smash got some K. Rool themed remixes)

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace

not even the correct name :facepalm:
surely all this makes one thinking about the treatment a so legendary series (and soundtrack) receives in smash...
with ultimate the things got a little better, but I think we are still far enough from what it deserves, and I hope in Dixie's inclusion also to balance this

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Some cute Dixie art to brighten up your day!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, here's a question for you all. How would you feel if Nintendo decided to forever change Dixie's name to something else?

I'm bring this up in light of recent news...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/arts/music/dixie-chicks-change-name.html
I don't think they would, honestly. While it's understandable for the Dixie Chicks to change their name, and it has been used to refer to the Confederate States, I think it's just preemptive and the word itself won't become taboo or controversial. Even in the case that it does, Nintendo's a Japanese company, and they don't have the best history of handling matters of race over there.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Looks like the DK backdrop for the Nintendo World theme park in Japan has been put up! This kinda confirms the DK area is coming to Osaka as well as Orlando!
View attachment 273109

You can see the same artwork used in the diorama:

View attachment 273110
I might be a bit late... but what is this amazingness I'm looking at!?

So, here's a question for you all. How would you feel if Nintendo decided to forever change Dixie's name to something else?

As someone who lives in the south (but is from the North), and works on Tv as a News anchor... here are my thoughts:

The Dixie Chicks likely support the movement.
The word Dixie is all over the south. I in fact live just next to a major Dixie Highway.
The move is a publicity stunt for a group that isn't known very well in the modern world.
They don't have much to lose with this change.
As far as actual issues go, it's not the association with the south, it's that the name comes from a song that was essentially the Confederate anthem.

Even still, it's ingrained in culture at this point, and quite frankly, is not even known as being related to the South, much less the Confederate.
It's a talking point... but it's really not that culturally relevant.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I don't think they would ever change her name at this point (I do wish people would stop making memes of Dixie with the confederate flag though).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I doubt they would change her name instead of just putting her on hiatus again. They could hide behind the fact that a British company made her and she's under the ownership of a Japanese company; that hurts her likelihood of being associated with the US South and Confederacy. Also, they could say it's a reference to the French way to spell 10: Dix. So, Dixie Kong could start to reference the number 10 going forward, perhaps she's the equivalent of a 10 year old in Kong years?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The grandfather clause is a thing, too.

I mean, we got a song for a Banjo & Kazooie character with a thinly-veiled swear word in his name, for crying out loud.

Besides, as far as name censorship goes, it's series titles that get it the worst (as Altair and Vault Boy can attest).

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The grandfather clause is a thing, too.

I mean, we got a song for a Banjo & Kazooie character with a thinly-veiled swear word in his name, for crying out loud.

Besides, as far as name censorship goes, it's series titles that get it the worst (as Altair and Vault Boy can attest).
Wait who's the thinly-veiled swear?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I doubt they would change her name instead of just putting her on hiatus again. They could hide behind the fact that a British company made her and she's under the ownership of a Japanese company; that hurts her likelihood of being associated with the US South and Confederacy. Also, they could say it's a reference to the French way to spell 10: Dix. So, Dixie Kong could start to reference the number 10 going forward, perhaps she's the equivalent of a 10 year old in Kong years?
I don't know if associating her with the French number 10 really clears her, as that's one of the suggested origins for the word Dixie being used to refer to the Confederacy (the other being, obviously, the Mason-Dixon line). I think Dixie's named after the music genre, so if any controversy happens they can just point to that.

Regardless, I doubt there'll be any sort of backlash, people are used to the name and are unlikely to think much about its etymology, so like KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 said, grandfather clause is likely to apply.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey, so I noticed SeashoreWar SeashoreWar 's latest Wave was released shortly before Min Min arrived, so our attention went to that for the most part. Let's show the latest additions to Donkey Kong Racing some love if we haven't already!

Lord Woo Fak Fak.
Oh! I got so used to his name it stopped registering in my mind lol

I don't know if associating her with the French number 10 really clears her, as that's one of the suggested origins for the word Dixie being used to refer to the Confederacy (the other being, obviously, the Mason-Dixon line). I think Dixie's named after the music genre, so if any controversy happens they can just point to that.

Regardless, I doubt there'll be any sort of backlash, people are used to the name and are unlikely to think much about its etymology, so like KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 said, grandfather clause is likely to apply.
Sounds good to me.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Had to yet come to share my thoughts on Min-Min cracking the whole Spirits Deconfirm-"rule" - I wondered a while how to even answer, and I might not come off as exactly pepped up as a lot of have been. Opinions would be highly appreciated.

Now, despite all of that, sadly IDK if I'm feeling willing to hold my breath yet for Dixie - perhaps for Rayman, but not Dixie as much. Probably gonna spit a lot of pessimistic views under, but right now I feel beyond anxious to even hopping on this "final" train to support Dixie to the end.

I guess my biggest question will be: what would exactly make Sakurai or even Nintendo itself, push for Dixie becoming playable these days, especially over the 3rd Parties that would generate much more hype - or even if prehensile hair of Dixie being enough to be even explored as an addition?

Can I wait all way into 2021's end to get answer to those questions, especially with how, as far as I've come to observe, practically ANY character could be added as long as they pose for a fun design or possibilites or creative moveset, and Dixie's been just absent up to this point anyway? Remembering back on how this was same with Toad, who kept on forced to NPC-roles, until it more or less was implied that's all Sakurai saw him as by the time Piranha Plant made it to the scene - I don't exactly feel like living through similar "realization" after Dixie staying absent at the very end of this Fighter Pass, especially with this being ultimate boat to miss out at the end, frankly.

A ton of stakes, and I'm having a recurring hunch with my reasons on why Dixie should be in, most likely not shared with Sakurai, is really having me leaning on not seeing her make it to Ultimate still, despite ARMS now getting a place after already another Nintendo-centric IP. Remembering back on watching a lot of characters from my previous speculation periods getting deconfirmed here and there due varying levels of obscurity/nicheness (Starfy, Takamaru, Lip, Isaac, perhaps Lloyd Irving) or just not finding their ways as a fighter due varying lack of moveset potential or position (Toad, Dixie, any Rhythm Heaven-reps, and possibly Rayman) - is making investment on Dixie... not exactly encouraging, especially on long-term.

Now, I don't want any of this to make ya'll feel discouraged. I guess I wonder how you guys can press on, especially with so little slots left - and a lot of implications that what the Smash-fans think isn't exactly anywhere reasons or "indicators" on what characters we'll see. I kinda dunno if I'm up to it here, especially with such long time window.

Looks like her training regimen is going well.
#DixieKongfacts

I keep forgetting Bubbles being one of the chars in Donkey Kong: King of Swing. Still brings a charmed smile on my face. :4pacman:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Big Boss Blues has never been that popular of a theme sadly. Often citen as not exciting enough and anti-climatic, all that paired with a very methodic and slow fight where the boss is flying around waiting to be hit (Compared to how agressive Kaptain was and how energetic Crocodile Cacophony is).
And I have to agree with that, I think the normal boss theme sounds more menacing than the final boss theme.

But I have listened to very chill songs being turned into real bangers like Beneath the Mask or Animal Crossing Title Theme (Bless ACE's magic).

If Big Boss Blues is ever added, I hope it sounds like this fan remix which I adore:
I can see, erm, hear why you like it so much. This legitimately sounds like a remix that would be in Smash Ultimate.

A Big Boss Blues remix on this level of quality would be a damn nice bonus if Dixie gets in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would based it on either honestly. My personal choice would be Windmill Hills from Tropical Freeze as the course and the song have very strong Diddy Kong Racing vibes:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
A Tropical Freeze level would be really cool and I'd be down for it, but I still would want at least one DKC3 song in there. Maybe they could throw in a remix of Frosty Frolics or something if it's a particularly icy level.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So do you guys think the lack of Tropical Freeze music in Ultimate could be in Dixie's favor of getting in?
To be perfectly honest I think its more of a sign that Nintendo and/or Sakurai simply aren't aware of how rich and deep the series is when it comes to music, characters, or aesthetics. This is the same franchise that needed a big fan ballot to realize K Rool's popularity and seemingly doesn't know that the DKC games do have tracks better than Jungle Japes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To be perfectly honest I think its more of a sign that Nintendo and/or Sakurai simply aren't aware of how rich and deep the series is when it comes to music, characters, or aesthetics. This is the same franchise that needed a big fan ballot to realize K Rool's popularity and seemingly doesn't know that the DKC games do have tracks better than Jungle Japes.

Or maybe Sakurai and co are just embarrassed to try and do remixs of more DKC tracks since they might think that they can't do the music justice. It sounds silly, but I think Sakurai cares about what the original composers think of their remixs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom