• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Candy Kong makes me uncomfortable, whoever decided that an ape needed ******* should be fired. And why is it that Candy and Tiny are the only completely humanoid kongs? it's so strange. Dixie and Wrinkly aren't, the other kongs aren't, so why them?

I will say though that I commend rare for not making her a damsel in distress when she could've easily been one.

Honestly I'd really love to have retro bring her back and make her design less trashy.
It's so weird lol, the girl sticks out like a sore thumb
I don't really care for Candy at all. Her design is kinda meh to me. At least it's better than this...
Capture.JPG

I'm glad Dixie doesn't have that humanoid like design, that would be weird at hell :eek:.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never much cared for her. She always felt like an obligatory love interest character who was never given much of an identity outside of being....uhhh...an anthropomorphic ape with boobs. I mean what else does she really do? With such a large number of Kongs, Candy had always felt the most unneeded, along with Swanky.
Unneeded? Good lucking saving in DKC1 or getting the instruments without Candy in DK64. She's irreplaceable!

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Wait... Swanky is unneeded? I mean you’re kinda right but how else were you supposed to get a free six lives each world without being risky about it?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait... Swanky is unneeded? I mean you’re kinda right but how else were you supposed to get a free six lives each world without being risky about it?
Well, not even DK64 had him come back, so it's pretty telling.

All that aside, though, the Kong family in the Retro games as it stands right now feels pretty barren to me. Just a few heroes and a single support Kong, who soon became a hero anyway. At least have Wrinkly Kong as a guardian angel replacement for Professor Pig or something! I know that quality is better than quantity, but it'd still be better than what we got right now.

Though at least it's not three Kongs period like in Returns, that was odd.

In any case, having Dixie in Smash I think will be the final catalyst that will lead Retro, and Nintendo by extension, to actually take the DKC series more seriously in the future. King K. Rool is the main ambassador to this movement, so it'll be up to Dixie to keep it going full throttle.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Alright time for a DK and Splatoon crossover! I decided to try out what a Dixie inspired outfit might look like in Splatoon. Maybe it could be what you get when you scan your Dixie amiibo (which we're hopefully getting)! She comes with her signature hair, hat, shirt and kneepads along with banana dualies and DK barrel inspired shoes.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i'm probably one of the few who likes the vast majority of the (sometimes) recurring sonic characters, because they're all distinct from each other in personality, appearance, and abilities. its why i want a new sonic fighting game, because its one of the best ways to use all these characters.

while the quality of the characters vary, i quite like having an ensemble cast of supporting characters in the dkc series. it reaffirms to me that the kongs are a clan and not just 2 or 3 characters who live in a treehouse alone and hoard bananas. you don't have to use all of them all the time, but you could rotate them out depending on the game and what purpose they would serve.

i think the brothers bear are an example of too many supporting characters at once, not helped by the fact that most of them are the same exact build with different outfits. i don't dislike them but i don't particularly miss them either.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I always wondered what a Retro designed Kong would look like. They made Tawks as a Funky companion to Squawks. He looks like he would be right at home during the Rare era of DKC games. But then they also made Professor Pig who IMO is kinda generic looking (but then again so was almost everything Retro designed in Returns). Tropical Freeze with Tawks and the snowmads/bosses really felt more inspired and had way more personality then ANYTHING in Returns IMO. So I would love to see a new Kong family member (in addition to adding more classic animal buddies) designed by Retro for the next DKC game idk as a NPC or a 5th/6th playable character (barring they keep either Cranky or Funky as playable).

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Well TBH Apes do have breasts.

I think Candy Kong would look better if they tone down the makeup and made her figure more "realistic" instead of like a pin-up model.

I honestly dislike DK64 Candy + the Paon redesigned Candy. I feel like the sex thing just went way overboard.

I think DKC1 Candy should be the base for a redesign.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
#Facts.

I think she really needs a role that isn't "sex joke" or "DK's gf maybe?". At least she wasn't a damsel in distress like Peach but it would be sad if they brought her back in 2018 as "sex joke" again.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong is perhaps the last game character who I was a fan of during my childhood that has yet to become playable in Smash Bros. I remember first seeing the Forbidden 7 for Brawl back in early 2008, and aside from Mewtwo and Roy, Dixie Kong was yet another characters where I thought "this could have been something, I wish things were different." I wanted to support Dixie Kong just as I had supported a lot of other characters during pre-Brawl and Ridley and Roy during pre-Smash 4, but I simply did not want a fight with K. Rool fans (who saw Dixie Kong as a thread) on top of the crap I was dealing with Roy detractors and Too Bigots.

Now. Ridley is in. Roy is back. K. Rool is in. Mega Man is in. Mewtwo is back. Everyone is back. Castlevania is in. What is left? What is left?

For many characters that are left, I simply did not play the software that they originated from. I have played, beaten, and loved Super Mario RPG (Geno), Return to Dream Land (Bandanna Dee). and Majora's Mask (Skull Kid). However, in terms of a character where I played the entire game from beginning to end and left a strong impression on me, all that is left is Dixie Kong. DKC2 and DKC3 were among my favorite games of the mid-to-late 90's, and I always loved playing as Dixie Kong in both titles.

Its a shame that only in the twilight of the pre-Ultimate period has she finally begun to be looked at as one of the premier prospective newcomers left, and even then she is far from the due she truly deserves (how many have said she is part of the new trinity instead of the likes of Skull Kid?).

I am not exactly optimistic. Sakurai has said there are only a few characters left to unveil, and there are still a few obvious characters left to choose especially among echoes. However, the old dream over ten years ago was that Metroid would have both Ridley and Dark Samus added in to make Metroid "complete". This dream seemed likely to never materialize. Dark Samus's last game was over ten years old (and likely never to be part of the storyline to a Metroid game ever again), and Ridley had the unfortunate distinction among being the few characters to ever be explicitly shot down by Sakurai himself (where in November 2014, Sakurai himself said that Ridley could not be resized to become a playable character).

Flash forward to June 2018, Ridley is finally confirmed after 17 years of requests, and only two months later Dark Samus is confirmed too. This happening at all was a miracle.

There are only 3.5 months to the Ultimate's release. There are a multitude to ways this can go down:
1. Dixie Kong is fully unique or a semi-clone (I am not exactly confident on this).
2. Dixie Kong is an echo fighter (I find this the most likely scenario if she is playable, Chrom has already shown echoes can at least have unique recoveries).
3. Dixie Kong is an Assist Trophy (there are still anywhere from 11-19 Assist Trophies left to be confirmed since Sakurai said there are 50+).
4. Dixie Kong is part of Diddy Kong's yet to be seen Final Smash (Diddy Kong is among the few characters where his Final Smash has not been shown off).
5. Dixie Kong has not notable role at all in Ultimate (this potentially could mean she might be a candidate for DLC).

Two scenarios lead to confirmation, two lead to a hard deconfirmation, and one kicks the can down the road for whether she will be in Ultimate.

We shall see what happens. Dixie Kong might very well be the last remaining Nintendo All-Star with a long running history that is not yet playable in Ultimate (aside from Toad who unfortunately has been deconfirmed).

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
We shall see what happens. Dixie Kong might very well be the last remaining Nintendo All-Star with a long running history that is not yet playable in Ultimate (aside from Toad who unfortunately has been deconfirmed).
So much agreed with this. Yet I've seen people online try and dispute the fact that "Dixie isn't a Nintendo All-Star" EXCUSE ME!? Nintendo's 2nd female heroine (behind Samus herself), a character that has starred in 2 highly sold/popular games of the SNES (1 of which is considered one of the best 2D platformers of ALL TIME). A "side" character that has appeared in just as many games as the main character himself. A "relevant" character who appeared in another 2D platformer that can be considered one of the best in the genre in 2014 (Tropical Freeze) and then re-released very recently on a much more successful console and has already sold wayy more in the 6 months it's been out on Switch than the first 2 years it was out on Wii U.

Let's look at the list of games Dixie has appeared in:

- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble
- Donkey Kong Land 2
- Donkey Kong Land 3
- Diddy Kong Racing DS
- Mario Hoops 3 on 3
- Mario Superstar Baseball
- Mario Super Sluggers
- Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
- Donkey Konga 2
- Donkey Konga 3 (JPN exclusive)
- DK: King of Swing
- DK: Jungle Climber
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Super Mario Odyssey (referenced)

^ How does that pedigree not equate to a "Nintendo All-Star" yes a LOT of those games are spin-off appearances but it's not Dixie's fault that Nintendo decided during the GCN/GBA era to just make DK spin-off titles instead of actually making main-line DK games. The fact that Dixie during the time even made it into games like Mario Hoops and Baseball is nothing short of a miracle (considering Nintendo was only using DK and Diddy at that time in Mario spin-offs) and a testament to her character. Not to mention Dixie outside of DK & Diddy is like the only Kong/DKC character Nintendo has made any type of merch off of. Dixie has figurines and plushies based off of her. I just can't accept people will JUMP through hoops to defend characters like Corrin, Bayonetta, Shulk, Lucina, Greninja, Robin, Cloud, Snake, etc. that they "earned/deserved" their spot in Smash but will constantly knock Dixie (and even K.Rool before he was added) as if she doesn't belong to be aside those characters. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying those characters have no right to be in Smash (minus Cloud and Snake) but to act like Dixie would bring nothing unique to the table and act like she is on the same level as say Chunky or Kiddy Kong is highly disrespectful.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
So much agreed with this. Yet I've seen people online try and dispute the fact that "Dixie isn't a Nintendo All-Star" EXCUSE ME!? Nintendo's 2nd female heroine (behind Samus herself), a character that has starred in 2 highly sold/popular games of the SNES (1 of which is considered one of the best 2D platformers of ALL TIME). A "side" character that has appeared in just as many games as the main character himself. A "relevant" character who appeared in another 2D platformer that can be considered one of the best in the genre in 2014 (Tropical Freeze) and then re-released very recently on a much more successful console and has already sold wayy more in the 6 months it's been out on Switch than the first 2 years it was out on Wii U.

- Donkey Kong Land 2
- Donkey Kong Land 3
- Diddy Kong Racing DS
- Mario Hoops 3 on 3
- Mario Super Sluggers
- Donkey Konga 2

^ How does that pedigree not equate to a "Nintendo All-Star" yes a LOT of those games are spin-off appearances but it's not Dixie's fault that Nintendo decided during the GCN/GBA era to just make DK spin-off titles instead of actually making main-line DK games. The fact that Dixie during the time even made it into games like Mario Hoops and Baseball is nothing short of a miracle (considering Nintendo was only using DK and Diddy at that time in Mario spin-offs) and a testament to her character. Not to mention Dixie outside of DK & Diddy is like the only Kong/DKC character Nintendo has made any type of merch off of. Dixie has figurines and plushies based off of her. I just can't accept people will JUMP through hoops to defend characters like Corrin, Bayonetta, Shulk, Lucina, Greninja, Robin, Cloud, Snake, etc. that they "earned/deserved" their spot in Smash but will constantly knock Dixie (and even K.Rool before he was added) as if she doesn't belong to be aside those characters. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying those characters have no right to be in Smash (minus Cloud and Snake) but to act like Dixie would bring nothing unique to the table and act like she is on the same level as say Chunky or Kiddy Kong is highly disrespectful.
Besides the Snake part, I all but agree.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I had a dream about Dixie being revealed last night.

Don't remember much about it.
Only that the video appeared to be onboard the flying ship from Mario "Rainbow Cruise".
I don't remember more, other than seeing Dixie. I kind of woke up then because my brain was thinking; "**** DIXIE REVEAL!?"

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

- Donkey Kong Land 2
- Donkey Kong Land 3
- Diddy Kong Racing DS
- Mario Hoops 3 on 3
- Mario Super Sluggers
- Donkey Konga 2

Cloud and Snake deserve to be in Smash on account of them and their games being awesome. But from a Nintendo perspective, yeah they don't really fit the mold of a Nintendo All-Star.

People are biased against Dixie, because they don't know who she is and how significant she was back at her debut. They see her as Diddy with hair. These are the same people that see Bandana Dee as "goomba with a hat". Dissenting opinions like those are the kind of thing people are entitled to, but they come from being misinformed or simply ignorant.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

- Donkey Kong Land 2
- Donkey Kong Land 3
- Diddy Kong Racing DS
- Mario Hoops 3 on 3
- Mario Super Sluggers
- Donkey Konga 2

The Switch subreddit seems full of people who write Dixie off as nothing special. I gotta get back in there and contest some posts, but in the meantime I'm gonna enjoy the outside world.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
There are always naysayers for every character, no matter how "obvious" they may seem once they're actually added.

"Nobody actually cares about King K. Rool", "King K. Rool isn't actually highly requested", "King K. Rool was replaced, there's no chance", all things I've seen and upvoted in places like Reddit.

Dixie will get her time in the sun. We can't stress over the people that dislike her. We just gotta harness the people that do and make sure that the affection for the character is visible wherever you can. That can be enough to mow through the critics. Just existing and being visible and being positive about a character we like.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Switch subreddit seems full of people who write Dixie off as nothing special. I gotta get back in there and contest some posts, but in the meantime I'm gonna enjoy the outside world.
Dixie Kong missing DK64 is what did it. That is the #1 factor. Lots of people missed the SNES especially nowadays. DK64 was a big seller on the N64.

Secondly, many, many characters now are bandwagons. I see Bandanna Dee supporters whine about how they are constantly attacked for supporting their character of choice, but the truth is, I rather be in a fanbase where a lot of people attack the character, but know in my heart I appreciate them and know they are important, than be part of a fanbase that is more of a social club than what it means to actually have appreciated the character from their games of origin (there are very few of these still around at this point).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie missing DK64 was done deliberately I believe to give DK and Diddy more attention. Remember a big complaint about the SNES games was why DK himself was playable so few times. DKC3 especially got this as it's main critic, cause in the end, DK and Diddy where more seen as the franchise's main heroes. DK64 had no Dixie and Kiddy to give more attention to DK and Diddy and to expand the Kong family some more.

Really.. talking about DK64 makes me realise how little the game lived up to it's surrounded hype, as well as it's potential. If it was just given the same amount of love and call it polish as Banjo-Kazooie had, it would've been a game that topped Mario 64 AND Ocarina of Time. Instead of now, it's a game remembered on how it felt short on these exact games. </3 'DK64? Oh good 3D platformer, but N64 had way better ones. And too much collection of random things.'

Maybe it's also a reason why we haven't yet got a new 3D Donkey Kong game. Also a reason why Nintendo tried to establish it's own creation to DK with Jungle Beat.

Am hopeful the Donkey Kong franchise will stay relevant with good quality games. Very grateful for Retro's work, yet am hungry for way more....

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think they wanted to do a soft reboot of the franchise for 64. Like thematically. Trying to concentrate on DKC1. Of course, that's not how it ended up exactly. Wrinkly shows up. And not only does she just show up, she shows up with some of the biggest character development for any DK character we've ever seen: she died.

I think they should have went hard on the "conclusion to the trilogy" angle personally. Dixie should have been in. But I actually like Tiny Kong and I would hope they let us play as both in a future DK game.

StormC

Smash Hero
Take it from a K. Rool supporter, you'll have to learn to deal with a lot of character bashing should Dixie not get in. Sakurai is the only person whose opinion you should be concerned about.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Huh I was going to mention how Dixie really seems like the last truly iconic character left to add to Smash at this point, and here I see Chrono already beat me to it... Like whether she's an echo or not, I feel she really MUST be in. Especially when what's left is really the bottom of the barrel of picks.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I think in the mid ‘90s, Nintendo wanted to focus on side characters to make them all stars, such as Diddy, Dixie, Yoshi, Wario, etc.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think Dixie should definitely be a mainstay of the DK games going forward. I do not want a situation where we are back to just Diddy or even just DK!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think they should have went hard on the "conclusion to the trilogy" angle personally. Dixie should have been in. But I actually like Tiny Kong and I would hope they let us play as both in a future DK game.
Oh yes, I'm a fervent supporter of the idea of DKC having a gender-reversed Mario Bros. dynamic. Feels a bit wrong not having the first lady Kong heroine and the cool Kong team up to kick some tail.

Take it from a K. Rool supporter, you'll have to learn to deal with a lot of character bashing should Dixie not get in. Sakurai is the only person whose opinion you should be concerned about.
That kind of monkey dung just happens, man. Wading through years of mockery makes it all worth it when character picks make it against all odds.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I still feel that Nintendo isn’t doing enough either franchise, I mean no new game in four years?!!
It’s awesome we had the Tropical Freeze port and Rabbids this year, but they can do better than that!

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I still feel that Nintendo isn’t doing enough either franchise, I mean no new game in four years?!!
It’s awesome we had the Tropical Freeze port and Rabbids this year, but they can do better than that!
I feel like Retro is working on something, miyamoto has said in the past that retro could handle multiple projects at once, or they could hand the ip off to a different developer. But it's hard to imagine Nintendo would drop the franchise again after 2 massively successful games

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Would you buy a Dixie Kong beret with a ponytail attached at Universal Studios -- Nintendo?
Yes, and I want the whole DK Island to be based off the Country Cartoon, with Dixie being the Kong with the most prominence.

Also, I want there to be a ton of sweet merchandise available.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I feel like Retro is working on something, miyamoto has said in the past that retro could handle multiple projects at once, or they could hand the ip off to a different developer. But it's hard to imagine Nintendo would drop the franchise again after 2 massively successful games
The fact they ported over Tropical Freeze is a good sign. To me, that's them recognizing that the less than stellar sales on the WiiU version weren't a result of a lack of interest for the game, but the misfortune of being on that doomed system. With how well the Switch version is doing, I'm expecting some kind of announcement of a new game next year. It'd be the smart thing to do.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I want cartoon Dixie as an alt.
I know everyone else has already expressed their dismay...

But I haven't. I mean, you're welcome to enjoy cartoon Dixie. But that face makes me experience levels of uncanny valley that disturb me to my very soul. When you look at things like "Terrible Fate" and realize it was done by a single fan with some talent, it really makes you wonder how professional animators signed off on that, even if it was the 90s and CGI was very much a work in progress.

Top Bottom