• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm still quite shocked we never got a Pokemon Amiibo line.
Or maybe a different line for starters, for Legendary, for Mythical...
Or just majority done in amiibo cards with some other determination for the ones that get figures.
Yeah, I don't understand that either. A Pokemon Amiibo line whether it be actual Amiibo toys or cards would sell like hotcakes for Nintendo.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Pokemon is so huge, Nintendo probably wanted to prioritize their own franchises first so they don't clash with each other. A Pokemon line would be a great way to "end" other franchise amiibo, imo. Not sure anyone would buy poor ole Cranky Kong when that snazzy looking Ditto is right next to him. We would, of course.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Speaking of Amiibo before we change the subject I wanted to post my amiibo collection to share. I wanted to share it once Byleth and Min Min released but that will be awhile, I only have enough room for 2 more figures those are the last two I want/need. Unless of course we get more 1st party DLC characters then I will replace both Bayo and Sonic or if we get the aforementioned DK line where I can replace my fake Dixie and Cranky amiibo with real ones. Also sorry for the LQ pic I have an old android phone, LMAO!

99127116_2939838469425417_3848489017330892800_o.jpg

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of Amiibo before we change the subject I wanted to post my amiibo collection to share. I wanted to share it once Byleth and Min Min released but that will be awhile, I only have enough room for 2 more figures those are the last two I want/need. Unless of course we get more 1st party DLC characters then I will replace both Bayo and Sonic or if we get the aforementioned DK line where I can replace my fake Dixie and Cranky amiibo with real ones. Also sorry for the LQ pic I have an old android phone, LMAO!

View attachment 292604
Dayum, son, how'd you get this? You practically have every amiibo there!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

View attachment 292604
God Damn......I only have Ryu lol. This is astounding honestly.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

View attachment 292604
Hmm... I really think you can make room for one more.

Capture.jpg

It would look pretty good next to Donkey Kong and Co.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Seeing AoC already selling 3 million units makes me wonder how well subsequent DKCs could do once Nintendo makes a 3D DK. People who often put DK in the B tier or C tier class in terms of sales often forget that, before BotW, DK and Zelda were pretty much neck and neck in sales despite DK having the largest gaps in between games.

Now that BotW has become the success monster it is now, interest in that series have skyrocketed. Link's Awakening has sold 4.57 million units and counting already outdoing the original on the Gameboy which has sold 3.83 million lifetime. Now, AoC has become the most successful Musou game ever.

Basically, DK needs its Breath of the Wild moment. Something that completely changes the way you think about DK. Now, I'm not saying the next DK should be exactly like BotW (as cool as that would be) nor am I devaluing the Country series, but I think once DK goes into the 3rd dimension with its own flavor and becomes a success interest for DK in the future would also skyrocket. Just imagine, Donkey Kong Country: Banana Slamma selling 7 million after DK 3D set the world ablaze which has become the best selling DK game of all time finally eclipsing the original DKC. Tropical Freeze might even get a boost in popularity too.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A lot of that is going to come down to timing and opportunity. DKC Returns made big money from being the right game at the right moment (and especially the right console). One wonders how different Star Fox's fortunes could have been if Nintendo had made a mainline title for the Wii given that system's install base.

Really the big question is what form a 3D DK game would take. I'd be lying if I didn't think that Crash 4 is a decent blueprint for the kind of Donkey Kong title that would really be differentiated from Nintendo's 3D Mario efforts.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Toys for Bob would make an excellent 3D Donkey Kong game IMO. In my mind the next 3D DK should take inspiration from both Crash 4 and 3D World just expand the levels a bit but still keep it very linear while having multiple playable Kongs with unique abilities. Maybe do it like Crash 4 where certain Kongs have unique levels of their own.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

View attachment 292604
Woah, that's a great amiibo collection! Or, if you go by the lighting and picture quality, terrifying hostage picture.

Dixie (and Cranky) fit in so well!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Heyyy....I've got another moveset idea for Dixie.

Hopefully we're not tired of the "5th Limb" category; the examples where Dixie uses her hair like a whip and does anything with it an arm can do. So, for today we have:

While in the air, Dixie swings her hair above, stopping abruptly in order to swat foes. Her ponytail pops at the tip, creating a powerful sting on top of a forceful swing. The trajectory is already powerful, but the sweetspot lies at the aforementioned tip; here, foes will suffer high damage, substantial hitstun and good knockback. Anyone hit during the actual swing will suffer more knockback and little else.

Given the nature of this attack we're looking at a potential UAir. It's good for people behind and above her, but since the sweetspot isn't directly above, nailing foes with the most this move can dish out is difficult. Still, this attack does well to thwart almost anyone who strikes from above.

And that's it for this move. The next entry won't be 5th Limb, in fact it'll be inspired by a very iconic video game character. Hope y'all enjoy this. Here's the transparent version:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Toys for Bob would make an excellent 3D Donkey Kong game IMO. In my mind the next 3D DK should take inspiration from both Crash 4 and 3D World just expand the levels a bit but still keep it very linear while having multiple playable Kongs with unique abilities. Maybe do it like Crash 4 where certain Kongs have unique levels of their own.
I think, at this point, Toys For Bob could spin gold with numerous platformer series (& some other genres). Not just DK, but also Rayman, Banjo, Pac-Man World, Sly Cooper, the list goes on.
It'd never happen, but I'd love to see their take on a Mario or Kirby game.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Heyyy....I've got another moveset idea for Dixie.

Hopefully we're not tired of the "5th Limb" category; the examples where Dixie uses her hair like a whip and does anything with it an arm can do. So, for today we have:

While in the air, Dixie swings her hair above, stopping abruptly in order to swat foes. Her ponytail pops at the tip, creating a powerful sting on top of a forceful swing. The trajectory is already powerful, but the sweetspot lies at the aforementioned tip; here, foes will suffer high damage, substantial hitstun and good knockback. Anyone hit during the actual swing will suffer more knockback and little else.

Given the nature of this attack we're looking at a potential UAir. It's good for people behind and above her, but since the sweetspot isn't directly above, nailing foes with the most this move can dish out is difficult. Still, this attack does well to thwart almost anyone who strikes from above.

And that's it for this move. The next entry won't be 5th Limb, in fact it'll be inspired by a very iconic video game character. Hope y'all enjoy this. Here's the transparent version:
She looks so happy! Cool Kongcept! Do you have a name for the move?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Always the first one’s anniversary being mentioned but not that of the sequels. Is what it is I guess.
It's sad really. DKC2 deserves more respect from Nintendo and other higher ups within divisions of Nintendo. DKC2 deserves almost as much respect as the original DKC in my opinion.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Always the first one’s anniversary being mentioned but not that of the sequels. Is what it is I guess.
I mean its not really shocking based off of those Gamexplain interviews with the ex-Rare staff. Nintendo had much more involvement with the original DKC than the sequels which according to Gregg & Steve Mayles Nintendo had just about none with DKC2 and DKC3. Which is why I think Dixie and Wrinkly dont appear as often as they should and why Kiddy hasn't appeared again since. Why DKC2's music isn't remixed as often as DKC1's music is.

DKC2 and DKC3 remind me of Hyrule Warriors. Its a Nintendo published game and Nintendo owns the rights to it. But I doubt we will ever see Cia, Linkle, Lana, or Wizzro in any future Zelda projects unless Koei Tecmo makes a Zelda game or Hyrule Warriors sequel. The same way Nintendo is always hesitant to use Rare's characters outside of Donkey and Diddy often.

Nintendo while obviously owns the games/IP probably dont feel like the sequels are theirs. It also doesn't help that DK himself isn't playable in either sequel which is probably another reason why Nintendo doesn't look back on them as fondly they should (everytime Nintendo makes a Donkey Kong timeline they always leave both DKC2 and DKC3 out). I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo views DKC2 and DKC3 as "spin-offs" the same way Nintendo views Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Not a mainline Mario game but a Yoshi game.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Nintendo while obviously owns the games/IP probably dont feel like the sequels are theirs. It also doesn't help that DK himself isn't playable in either sequel which is probably another reason why Nintendo doesn't look back on them as fondly they should (everytime Nintendo makes a Donkey Kong timeline they always leave both DKC2 and DKC3 out). I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo views DKC2 and DKC3 as "spin-offs" the same way Nintendo views Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Not a mainline Mario game but a Yoshi game.
I'm not sure about that. If that was true, they should be mad at themselves too for Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong 3 starring Jumpman and Stanley respectively. RARE inadvertently kept that tradition of each new game having a different protagonist, and I kinda like that. I doubt we'll see that happen again, but perhaps they could make Diddy and Dixie spinoff games in the future. Would be a great future, for sure.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not sure about that. If that was true, they should be mad at themselves too for Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong 3 starring Jumpman and Stanley respectively. RARE inadvertently kept that tradition of each new game having a different protagonist, and I kinda like that. I doubt we'll see that happen again, but perhaps they could make Diddy and Dixie spinoff games in the future. Would be a great future, for sure.
Honestly, Nintendo and Miyamoto values the original Donkey Kong as much or more than the original Super Mario Bros. In Miyamoto's eyes, it was like his first born son as it was pretty much his first game at Nintendo and the game that put him and Nintendo on the map. You hear Nintendo bring up the original Donkey Kong more than DKC.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Happy Thanksgiving everybody! What do y'all feel thankful for? This year sucked no doubt, but I'm thankful for all the stuff that helped us get through this awful time of quarantine. And special thanks to the doctors and nurses. I can't imagine the hell they're going through right now.
Thanks, I hope you have a great Thanksgiving too. One of the things I'm thankful for is all the paintings I've made. I'm primarily known for Dixie Kongcepts online, but IRL I've been painting up a storm for various subjects; I don't post all of them. This year, I've made at least 40 paintings, and that's a result of my......"free" time. I used to work at a Paint N Sip up until June teaching people how to paint, but now that covid came I am free to focus on making my own art, which also explains the flood of Dixie ideas. Still, I know people are going through a lot worse and I'm very aware of the despair.

Hope everyone is doing as well as they can during these circumstances, and if you're not I completely understand.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

"Inkling" he says? New DK developed by the Splatoon team confirmed! :troll:

All jokes aside, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they were the ones who did it. If I'm not mistaken, the Splatoon team are mostly a young team. They probably grew up with DKC. There was also that DKCR poster in one of the games. It most likely doesn't mean anything, but ya never know.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It would be interesting to see if a new DK game released in 2021. With the Switch port of Super Mario 3D World, it would mark only the second time a mainline Donkey Kong and Mario title released in the same calendar year, with 1996's DKC3 & Super Mario 64.

And even those were on different systems, them both being on Switch next year would be real first.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Next year is looking like a great year for gaming.

A new DK (rumored)
A new 2D Metroid (rumored)
Metroid Prime trilogy (rumored)
BotW2
Hollow Knight Silksong
Pokemon Snap 2
Cuphead DLC
Playtonic's new game (speculating)
A new Perfect Dark (rumored)
Super Mario 3D World+ Bowser's Fury
A new Ghosts N Goblins

2021 is going to speak to me more than any other year if all of this pans out.

Lenidem

Smash Lord

A new DK (rumored)
BotW2
Hollow Knight Silksong
Pokemon Snap 2
Cuphead DLC
A new Ghosts N Goblins

I don't know where all these rumours come from, but it sounds way too good to be true. A new Perfect Dark? On the Switch?...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

A new DK (rumored)
BotW2
Hollow Knight Silksong
Pokemon Snap 2
Cuphead DLC
A new Ghosts N Goblins

Wait, what?! A new Ghosts N Goblins?

Top Bottom