• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Imagine if Dixie Kong is the character after the Arms rep boi I would squeal. I highly doubt it though as I don't think Dixie would be have been considered a big enough character to reveal at E3 originally. Than again, they revealed Palutena instead of Pac-Man at E3 so...
Pac-Man was revealed behind closed doors and we first learned he was confirmed through a Twitter post. In contrast, Palutena was showcased in the main event.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I know some people wished Dixie was in Dk 64 and didn't like how Tiny replaced her spot as the one with powerful ponytail (or twintails in Tiny's case) with the ability to shrink to go with her name, personally though I've always loved both characters.

Tiny's cute design and spunky tomboy personality really appealed to me, I don't think it was a bad idea to make her one of the new characters though it would have been great if Dixie was also part of the team in the game. Only if they could have them both playable with something that makes different (particularly give Dixie her own new abilities to fit the game)I always wanted to see Dixie and classic Tiny together honestly (I loathe the new Tiny).

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I don't dislike Tiny Kong at all. I just think it's unfortunate that Dixie missed out on an entire console generation. All she had in this time period was the Japan-only version of Donkey Kong Land 3 for GBC.

It would have been cool if she was in Diddy Kong Racing, at least.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Do you guys still remember when you found out that Dixie was going to be in Tropical Freeze? I didn't care about the metroid whiners -- that was a good day. After such a big hiatus, she was back. And introduced by Mr. Iwata!

I also remember people thinking Lord Fred's silhouette was K. Rool.

And Enguarde was "absolutely likely to be in". Oh poor Enguarde.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Do you guys still remember when you found out that Dixie was going to be in Tropical Freeze? I didn't care about the metroid whiners -- that was a good day. After such a big hiatus, she was back. And introduced by Mr. Iwata!

I also remember people thinking Lord Fred's silhouette was K. Rool.

And Enguarde was "absolutely likely to be in". Oh poor Enguarde.
YEAH! I was really feeling Retro as a whole; I loved Metroid Prime 1-3 and was so absorbed in those games' lore, so when Retro shifted to DK I was RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED. DKCR and Rayman Origins were my most beloved games from the end of their gen (Wii and XB360).

Far as I cared Retro could do no wrong. They could tackle any series and make it modern magic, so when Kelbaugh said they're making a new game that "everyone wants us to do" in some interview I was REALLY hoping for a sequel to Returns, and I GOT my wish! IIRC, Rayman Legends was announced shortly before it, so my 2 sidescrolling platformers were getting dope AF sequels back to back. Not only was I getting sequels, DIXIE KONG got highlighted for a welcome return! It was a massive relief; back in the Post Brawl days Dixie often got laughed out of any discussion, and her lack of mainstream appearances weren't helping. But there, in that trailer Dixie felt like a refreshing new addition to Retro's formula.

Back when I was speculating on a sequel to Returns I would say "A DKC in which DK, Diddy and Dixie are playable would be perfect" and Retro went BEYOND that. They ditched the Tikis for another brand new set of villains, which quelled fears about them being the main modern villains but kept diehard fans fearful for K. Rool. Far as I cared DK had a habit of beating down factions besides the Kremlings which is a breath of fresh air compared to Nintendo's other heroes, so I wasn't worried about K. Rool being gone for good. I was instead intrigued by these vikings, cuz they were basically pirates except they're not. Then I found out David Wise returned?! It was game over at that point. I didn't need the internet to hype me up for this game. After that I ignored any further news about Tropical Freeze because I was gonna buy it no matter what.

People have a bad habit of absorbing all info about a game before they touch it: gameplay, screenshots, interviews, Let's Plays and forum discussion, other spoilers...and then aren't satisfied with the game when they do get it. You can get away with that for some games, like any LittleBigPlanet, SSB, or games that are more multiplayer based with frequent content installments, but most games, especially campaign-focused games can't be enjoyed if you take in everything before trying it, except maybe BoTW. I learned that with Galaxy 2; for as much as everyone adores it I think Mario Galaxy 1 is better, because of the surprise and lighthearted sci-fi charm. With DKCTF I saw everything I needed and was sold; but I didn't pre-order cuz that's not how I roll.

My only critique of DKCTF's debut trailer is that they should not have used the Jungle theme. Nintendo has a rep for taking the same old theme and plastering it over brand new games. Look at the NSMB games, their announcements have similar themes with quaint and boring gameplay; the average person thought they were doing the same with DKC; they didn't see a trailer for DKC5, they saw DKCR HD. That's literally how NSMBU was portrayed and as far as they cared Retro ditched Metroid for New Super Donkey Kong Country Bros. The trailer was very "here we go again, but this time with Dixie!" Nintendo sucked at marketing.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
True. Everything in the presentation trailer should do its best to squeeze out why this particular game is unique, even the music.

And then when they started adding unique music, they were obsessed with the mangroves song for some reason... frickin mangroves song! Out of all the songs in the game...

I think they did use the Snowmads Theme a couple of times at least.

By the way, check this out guys.
http://instagr.am/p/CAnUQB1j4D5/

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That diorama is beutiful. Thanks for sharing Snowbound.
Donkey Kong Racing Wave 13

Since we have guest heroes, why not add their villains?
  • Gruntilda
  • Panther King
  • King Ron
  • Capital B

Another excellent wave, Seashore! I didn't know the gorilla was from Dillion's. I was like "wait who's this Kong?"

Can we get Undead Grunty, Von Kripplespeck (the weasel professor. That's his name I swear), Hot Grunty and Mecha Grunty too?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That diorama is beutiful. Thanks for sharing Snowbound.

Another excellent wave, Seashore! I didn't know the gorilla was from Dillion's. I was like "wait who's this Kong?"

Can we get Undead Grunty, Von Kripplespeck (the weasel professor. That's his name I swear), Hot Grunty and Mecha Grunty too?
Actually it's Von Kriplespac but yeah. He had some of the most funniest lines in CBFD. I can do his voice really well lol!

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Who's to say they won't eventually? I didn't expect them to go back to Metroid, but here we are. I think there's a good chance we'll see Retro take a crack at DK again one day, hopefully sooner rather than later.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's possible they stay with Metroid or find success with a brand new IP. I know Nintendo won't let DK go to waste anymore in the long run but IDK if Retro will try it one more time.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So let's say Dixie gets in MK9, and she gets a home track. What would y'all base it on? I'd go with a stage based on Frosty Fruits Tropical Freeze. Ice physics, giant popsicles and wooden racetracks galore.

I'd probably choose a course based on Wing Ding or High Tide Ride too.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So let's say Dixie gets in MK9, and she gets a home track. What would y'all base it on? I'd go with a stage based on Frosty Fruits Tropical Freeze. Ice physics, giant popsicles and wooden racetracks galore.

Given that DKC 2 was her first appearance, I'd probably go with a track based on that. The ideas that stick out to me are Rickety Race (a racetrack based on the roller coaster sections), Hornet Hole (a racetrack based on the beehive levels), or maybe Krazy Kremland to combine elements from the roller coaster, beehive, swamp, and bramble levels.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I would go with Windmill Hills from Tropical Freeze. It would certainly be a beautiful and colorful racing track. The stage and the music already gave me Diddy Kong Racing vibes so I think this would be one of the best DKC stages to turn into a Mario Kart track.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I feel like a combined Krazy Kremland, with all the environments combined into one track, would be the best.

As far as TF, I'd say Frosty Fruits works well. Good music on that stage. Ahem.

Maybe a trip around the owl island in general would be really cool, tying the windmills, alpine area, and wing ding together.

DKC3, I feel like the cliffs and waterfall stand out the most and stand out in terms of what Mario Kart has offered until now.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
DKC3, I feel like the cliffs and waterfall stand out the most and stand out in terms of what Mario Kart has offered until now.
I think what you really mean is Wrinkly's Save Cave. Like Ribbon Road, you get scaled down and race around the cave with an alive (!) Wrinkly playing an N64 :love:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Hate to break it to you, buddy, but you should take her temperature before you call her alive.

When she's "napping" during 50cc and still napping during mirror mode, that ain't sleeping.

Just saying.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think a DKC2 stage would be a better fit for K. Rool personally, since the entire game takes place on Crocodile Isle.

If I had the choice, I would give Dixie a stage inspired by DKC3, since that game could use more representation anyway. I'm imagining a course where you start out in Kremwood Forest, then you exit the trees and drive across a wooden pier on Lake Orangutanga, which leads you inside a mill, then you exit back out into the forest.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I see why you would say that and that does sound like a good idea. The first two worlds go well together in DKC3.

But even though I like DKC3 a lot, and it's "Dixie's starring game", in my heart I still feel DKC2 is "Dixie's game". It's called Diddy's Kong Quest but really, there's nothing stopping you from just playing as Dixie all the time.

It was her first appearance and our first impression of her and I think it sticks more to her than DKC3.

Dixie helicoptering through the Zinger hives, the rollercoaster, the brambles, is more iconic to me. Even if it is K. Rool's turf, I don't really associate it with him as much as Dixie (and Diddy). Maybe that's not logical. Maybe it's just deep, deep, ancient pro DKC2 bias running through my blood. But that's how I feel.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally still associate DKC2 with Dixie Kong, and it's a game that I not only prefer but think has much more interesting set pieces to work with. But I crave a perfect world where we can have both.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
These are GREAT suggestions. I thought a Bramble stage would be number 1 but these are all surprising.

Yknow what I noticed about the MK games? They have fictional ads for in-universe characters, basically like New Donk City had tons of ads. What ads would you guys make for a Dixie Kong racetrack? I suppose Diddy's Mart is a given, maybe Lanky's Pilates could be another.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Retro did great with the franchise. Not a problem with Jungle Beat, I think it's an underated game, but OMG when I saw DKCR.
It was everything that I most wanted from Nintendo. I have spoke about it frequently with my friends about a new Dk Country game and they did it. Tropical Freeze added Dixie and David Wise to the mix again it was so good. They should make the last Retro Dk with Kiddy. Not the most popular Kong out there, but I think he should appear again. DK/Diddy/Dixie/Kiddy, lot of animal buddies, better bonus stage and K.Rool returning. That's the dream.

In Smash Dixie is the only one I think it's needed.
I like almost every character from Dk, but she's the one that is kinda missing.
We have piranha plant and do not have Dixie Kong, is a tragedy. I want some bubblegum combos and guitar spike.

About DKC3 stage I think it could be something like Cloud's Midgar. A stage where you can turn into animal buddies from time to time using their barreals, with the environment of Pot Hole Panic

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I think Ghostly Grove might be my dark horse choice for a stage. Granted I'm biased because it has some of my favorite aesthetics and music in all of Donkey Kong, but there's so many level elements they use for a stage. Ghost ropes that appear/disappear, occasional strong gusts of wind, Kloak throwing items (and occasionally hazards) at fighters; so much potential to stand out both in terms of visuals and gameplay.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
DKC3 seems to be the forgotten entry of the original three DKC games. But why is that?

Is it because of Kiddy Kong? Less interesting environments? Not enough DK or Diddy in addition to Dixie? Less enjoyable gameplay or levels? Were the games in that format just wearing out their welcome by that point? Some combination of some of the above?

Either way, I think it deserves better, and I wouldn't mind getting some content referencing the game myself should Dixie finally join the battle. I still think it's a shame Big Boss Blues didn't get a remix, unlike K. Rool's other two DKC boss themes.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A couple of factors explain DKC3 losing some of the spotlight. First off much of the team that worked on the first two titles were moving onto other Rare projects, leaving largely a newer team to work on it. Whether their work was better or worse is relative but there did seem to be a difference in certain design philosophies in regards to Double Trouble vs the other games.

Secondly, a lot of attention by Nintendo fans had shifted towards the Nintendo 64, so many various SNES titles around 1996 lost a bit of the focus. Kirby's Super Star basically created the modern template for the series with its expansion of copy abilities, but even it didn't get a lion's share of attention until people looked back on in later. A lot of the strong dominance of the DKC series in general came from the fact that mainline Mario was in a bit of a hibernation post Mario Land pre Mario 64.

Finally, the first DKC game grabbed a lot of attention for its amazing graphics, and Diddy's Kong Quest for its evolution of the gameplay. That left DKC3 with very little left to get buzz about, especially as gaming in general was moving towards greater emphasis of 3D application for different genres, especially action games.

DKC3 was a solid entry and a worthy successor to the first two titles, yet it came at precisely the point where the series' strengths were starting to falter in light of where gaming was going.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A couple of factors explain DKC3 losing some of the spotlight. First off much of the team that worked on the first two titles were moving onto other Rare projects, leaving largely a newer team to work on it. Whether their work was better or worse is relative but there did seem to be a difference in certain design philosophies in regards to Double Trouble vs the other games.

Secondly, a lot of attention by Nintendo fans had shifted towards the Nintendo 64, so many various SNES titles around 1996 lost a bit of the focus. Kirby's Super Star basically created the modern template for the series with its expansion of copy abilities, but even it didn't get a lion's share of attention until people looked back on in later. A lot of the strong dominance of the DKC series in general came from the fact that mainline Mario was in a bit of a hibernation post Mario Land pre Mario 64.

Finally, the first DKC game grabbed a lot of attention for its amazing graphics, and Diddy's Kong Quest for its evolution of the gameplay. That left DKC3 with very little left to get buzz about, especially as gaming in general was moving towards greater emphasis of 3D application for different genres, especially action games.

DKC3 was a solid game and a worthy successor to the first two titles, yet it came at precisely the point where the series' strengths were starting to falter in light of where gaming was going.
Not to mention there was also a N64 cameo in the game with Wrinkly playing SM64. Which made your statement more oblivious.

Last edited:

donkeykong_downunder

Smash Rookie
Great to see Dixie gain some more mainstream attention in light of her Mario Kart Tour debut. It may not lead to anything Smash related but any DK related news/promotion is great in regards to the series future in terms of titles. The more eyes on Dixie, the better as far as I'm concerned. With the new DK area in Nintendo World being built let's hope DK is re established as a core Nintendo IP again like the old days!

I collect Donkey Kong related merchandise and items, plan to share some more Dixie related stuff soon!

You can check my Instagram out here:

https://www.instagram.com/donkeykong.downunder/

Hope it is informative and useful.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Do we know how many characters got new models for MK Tour? (Idk what its called)

The majority of the assets seem to be reused from older titles like Mario Kart 7. Since Dixie Kong is new to the series then doesn't that mean that Nintendo went out of their way to make a model for her from scratch? Or did they just took Diddy's model and gave him a ponytail?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Dixie's model in MKT most resembles her model from Tropical Freeze, but I'm pretty sure it's a brand-new model.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I have a question. Do we know how many characters got new models for MK Tour? (Idk what its called)

The majority of the assets seem to be reused from older titles like Mario Kart 7. Since Dixie Kong is new to the series then doesn't that mean that Nintendo went out of their way to make a model for her from scratch? Or did they just took Diddy's model and gave him a ponytail?
I just looked at a gameplay vid of Diddy then one of Dixie, and from the looks of it their models are distinct. Animations are different (trick jumps, item drops, taunts, victory animations) and their bodies seem different as well. Dixie seems a little slimmer compared to Diddy; both have lanky arms but Dixie's legs seem shorter in comparison, plus their facial structures are unique.

Everyone should check out their gameplay to correct me if I'm wrong. I would say confidently that their models are different; Dixie's not a reskin of Diddy in MKT.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Its funny how people always suggest Dixie would be an easy echo of Diddy in Smash using the same model just adding girly features to Diddy. Yet from Dixie's initial inception she was always made from scratch not reusing Diddy's model and Im glad Nintendo has carried on that tradition especially in a mobile game where 85% of the roster is just reskinned models. If Dixie spirit battle being represented by Isabelle wasnt proof enough Mario Kart Tour of all things is that Nintendo views Dixie as important and more than just a reskinned Diddy.

Yeah we can complain about how the Kongs dont get used as much as they could but when Nintendo does use them they always respect Rare's source material and respects the characters traits/abilities.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I've always been of the opinion that Dixie and Diddy should be about as similar as Mario and Luigi in current Smash. Making the former an echo or even a semi-clone doesn't do justice to the moveset variety they could give her and feels like either some want her in at any cost, or don't understand the actual potential to pull from the DKC series.

Top Bottom