• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know I'm not a frequent visitor to this thread but I hope I'm welcome. I wanted to talk about somethings and how the tides may have shifted very strongly for Dixie with recent developments. To keep this post from being overly long, here are some topics on the DK series I have brought up in the Geno thread recently including it popping up in insider circles in the past 9 months:

Big Ol' Post I Did This Morning About a Couple of Topics Very Relevant to Dixie:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2925#post-24005105

Several Recent Examples of DK getting the Spotlight:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2924#post-24004586

Me Talking About the Origins of DK Rumors Last Year and Early This Year With Links and Citations:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2923#post-24004516

So, if you read all that, thank you and allow me to use those as a jumping off point for why I feel Dixie could wind up riding the recent raid into Smash.

"We're currently in the 25th Anniversary of Donkey Kong Country and next year is the 40th anniversary of Donkey Kong."

Seems like a good time to celebrate the series, doesn't it? I won't dwell on it too much but it was kind of a "wink wonk" on Nintendo's part that Donkey Kong Country Returns was announced during DKC's 15th anniversary and Donkey Kong's 30th.

"Donkey Kong and Diddy's Amiibo haven't been rereleased yet despite Donkey Kong being registered to released back in 2018."

It feels like they're saving both of them for a specific purpose. Keep in mind that K. Rool has released twice now without his respective rivals. In my eyes, this suggests a DK announcement of some kind on the horizon.

"Dixie is a unique spirit."

Spirits don't deconfirm but you all knew that already. Now that Ultimate has added the option to fight any spirit whenever you want (as long as you've already beaten them), I've gone back and have already blazed through about half of all the battles for the sake of research. For starters, Dixie is a spirit you have to summon in order to get. Second, despite having a hat, it's not used in her spirit battle. Instead, they kind of make it an awkward fit with a pink Isabelle. They didn't try to recreate her with Mii parts and I would argue that's a good sign. Her spirit battle points out something about Dixie that has been prevalent a long time.

"Dixie has a long history as an ALT."

Just as Waluigi has been a Luigi ALT since Brawl, Dixie has been one of Diddy. This is notable because Smash Ultimate has technically already had three ALT promotions: Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus. All echoes but that's not exactly the worst thing in the world as characters like Ken have shown. Echoes can be still be reasonably unique even if they only have a few move differences. With her history as an ALT, Diddy as a Dixie base would probably be a pretty easy promotion to do and, again, she has history and it's kind of notable her and Waluigi are still stuck as "costumes" of their counterparts. Speaking of history...

"Dixie was cut from Brawl."

Thanks to the "Forbidden Seven" in Brawl's code , we know Dixie was originally planned to be in the game. If you're a zoomer, you can read up on the topic here:

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Unused_content_(SSBB)

Roy, Dr. Mario, and Mewtwo eventually made their way back to Smash, Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik were probably dumped forever after Zelda and Sheik became permanently seperate characters in Smash 4, and nobody totally knows what the hell Pra-Mar is supposed to be. That just leaves Dixie as a character that's still relevant to the Smash scene but isn't in Smash yet. Like I linked earlier, all the insider stuff I've heard in the past year is that Season 2 would be very fan servicey, mostly catering to longtime fans, and Dixie definitely has as much history as Geno and Crash. Remember: Ridley was a character that was turned down multiple times too before getting in eventually.

"But Fatman, I thought you hadn't heard of Dixie in insider circles?"

I haven't but the past 7 months have shown that's potentially a good thing. Nintendo's pretty good at keeping secrets and keeps first party characters pretty close to the chest. Chrom, Dark Samus, K. Rool, Plant, Byleth, and Min Min did not leak (at least not widely). Meanwhile, Joker and Richter are so far the only third party characters who haven't leaked. That said, first party characters are much less likely to leak. This also adds to why I think bonus characters are not only possible but most, if not all, will be first party. It's definitely something to consider going forward.

Finally, to wrap things up, for some extra crunchy tin foil:

"Whoever 8 is will be coming with Banjo and Terry's Amiibo."

7 will be coming with Joker and Hero as well as rereleases of Cloud, Mario and Luigi and, trust me, the Geno fanbase has definitely taken notice. As noted, 8 will come with Banjo and Terry and there's a number of unreleased Amiibo that feel like would be all too appropriate to release. With Banjo, the Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong connection is definitely there while Terry is the only other character to wear a ball cap aside from Diddy. To crash land you all on a tinfoil planet, Terry also has a pony tail. Based on timing, it's also very heavily implied that 8 would release either in October or November, super close to the DKC anniversary. Could Dixie (and probably Crash) be the characters that the Banjo and Terry Amiibo commemorate? Guess we'll see.

All this said, I think Dixie has seen a strangely well timed boon (baboon?) that could propel her into Smash. Even if Dixie in Smash doesn't pan out, I think the future holds good things for DK fans so I hope the coming weeks will be exciting for you all.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
"We're currently in the 25th Anniversary of Donkey Kong Country and next year is the 40th anniversary of Donkey Kong."

Seems like a good time to celebrate the series, doesn't it? I won't dwell on it too much but it was kind of a "wink wonk" on Nintendo's part that Donkey Kong Country Returns was announced during DKC's 15th anniversary and Donkey Kong's 30th.
DKC came out in 1994. DKC's 25th anniversary was last year. And Nintendo didn't even acknowledge it.

This year would be the 25th anniversary of DKC2 which is Dixie's debut game but we have been proven time and time again that Nintendo doesn't care that much outside of Mario and Zelda.

And less with Smash, Smash has never tied any game, port or recent release with a new character announcement (And the only time it does it's waaaaaay off date like Isabelle or that franchise everyone loves to scrutinize).

The rest with the amiibo releases, alts and extremely circumstantial stuff, I'm not buying it.

I think Dixie has a chance as a character chosen by her own legacy instead of being "a bonus" and stretching so many unrelated things like that to me it just comes as a no-no.

Your track record isn't that good honestly, which is why I'm so skeptical. But I appreciate that you shared your views here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
DKC came out in 1994. DKC's 25th anniversary was last year. And Nintendo didn't even acknowledge it.

This year would be the 25th anniversary of DKC2 which is Dixie's debut game but we have been proven time and time again that Nintendo doesn't care that much outside of Mario and Zelda.

And less with Smash, Smash has never tied any game, port or recent release with a new character announcement (And the only time it does it's waaaaaay off date like Isabelle or that franchise everyone loves to scrutinize).

The rest with the amiibo releases, alts and extremely circumstantial stuff, I'm not buying it.

I think Dixie has a chance as a character chosen by her own legacy instead of being "a bonus" and stretching so many unrelated things like that to me it just comes as a no-no.

Your track record isn't that good honestly, which is why I'm so skeptical. But I appreciate that you shared your views here.
The idea isn't to commemorate an anniversary, per say, but an upcoming game. Like you said, Nintendo's done this three times with Fire Emblem (Three Houses had additional DLC announced around Byleth's announcement) so I could see them tying Smash to a future DK game. The anniversaries are just a happy coincidence and the timing seems great for at least one major DK announcement.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The idea isn't to commemorate an anniversary, per say, but an upcoming game. Like you said, Nintendo's done this three times with Fire Emblem (Three Houses had additional DLC announced around Byleth's announcement) so I could see them tying Smash to a future DK game. The anniversaries are just a happy coincidence and the timing seems great for at least one major DK announcement.
The anniversary thing I think is irrelevant at this point. It already happened last year and Nintendo didn't acknowledge it but they Tweeted things like New Super Mario Bros. Wii's 10th anniversary.

If that Donkey Kong game happens I see a reveal being more like Isabelle, where the character comes first and then the game gets name dropped (Or the game is announced and then Smash reveal happens).

But what makes you assure that game's existence? A new Donkey Kong game has constantly been name dropped by rumors, specially last year with the 25th anniversary but finally never gets announced.
It's like the Mario 3D World, Metroid Prime Trilogy or Pikmin 3 ports.
I don't want to get my hopes up for a third year in a row.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I think all the new DK content we've been getting might be leading to Dixie getting into Smash. The DK series is getting a huge part of Nintendo World dedicated to it, DKC is finally being added to Switch Online, DKCTF was described as 'the franchises debut on Switch' and Dixie and Funky made it into Mario Kart Tour. I think a new game in the series is definitely going to happen at some point on the Switch to capitalize on all of this, but I also think having Dixie being playable in Smash would be a really good way to promote the DK franchise as well. It honestly just seems too obvious, Nintendo would be dumb to pass on this opportunity, and Byleth proves they are willing to add characters to Smash for the sake of promotion, although Dixie would obviously have a lot more going for her than just series promotion as well. Also, Dixie would definitely grab with her hair and be able to move around while carrying like DK, right?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The anniversary thing I think is irrelevant at this point. It already happened last year and Nintendo didn't acknowledge it but they Tweeted things like New Super Mario Bros. Wii's 10th anniversary.

If that Donkey Kong game happens I see a reveal being more like Isabelle, where the character comes first and then the game gets name dropped (Or the game is announced and then Smash reveal happens).

But what makes you assure that game's existence? A new Donkey Kong game has constantly been name dropped by rumors, specially last year with the 25th anniversary but finally never gets announced.
It's like the Mario 3D World, Metroid Prime Trilogy or Pikmin 3 ports.
I don't want to get my hopes up for a third year in a row.
Obviously I can't promise the world and, being involved in this stuff for a year and a half now, one of the most frustrating things is hearing about stuff and then it taking forever to pan out. For example, Geno in Smash has been a thing in insider circles since AUGUST 2018 and I've been involved since November 2018. When I was part of "Sabi's circle", Pikmin 3 and the Metroid Prime Trilogy came up within our contacts starting in December 2018. Doing this stuff, you never know "how early to the party" you are and I know it's super frustrating for all of you and why I have the reputation I do. That said, I don't blame you for your skepticism.

On the matter of DK, there's been enough rumblings in insider circles since November 2019 that suggest something big is coming in the DK series and very recently it's hit a fever pitch. I also want to say that an insider messaged me last night after seeing my posts yesterday to cross reference because, like me, they had heard about a big DK project in the works but Nintendo has been sitting extra hard on the project so the details are scarce to an annoying degree. Because of who I talked to, I definitely believe it's true.

I also want to add that it also fits into the narrative that Nintendo's plans for 2020 are to not only go big with their bigger franchises but also bring back a ton of stuff that has been "sitting in the attic" for ages. For example, there's a very strong possibility of at least two dead franchise revivals by the end of 2021 and these have been kept hard secrets in the community since last fall.

In the end, if it doesn't pan out soon, I apologise but that's kind of these things go. King Zell heard about RARE Replay for Switch last February and then nothing has come of it yet. There's tons of examples of this where people get information and then it takes literal years to come to fruition. Based on what's happened recently, however, I do think the DK stuff will be sooner than later.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'll be cautiously optimistic in that case. In the meantime, we'll have to make do on fan content and speculation. I'll pump out artwork sporadically and promote others in this thread while we wait.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
While I take rumors and speculation with a grain of salt, I appreciate the insights Fatmanonice.

Another thing to consider is the lack of Switch profile icons. Not every Nintendo game comes with them, (like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade), but some do (like Animal Crossing and I believe Kirby Star Allies). Considering how big characters like Dixie, Diddy, K. Rool are, I find it suspect they are completely missing. Unless there was a new game coming...

Have you heard of the developer who would be taking on the project, Fatmanonice? It's been largely speculated in the DK community that there is a lot of young talent at Nintendo who grew up with the series that could be taking on the project and the Easter eggs in Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon seem to reinforce that idea.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
While I take rumors and speculation with a grain of salt, I appreciate the insights Fatmanonice.

Have you heard of the developer who would be taking on the project, Fatmanonice? It's been largely speculated in the DK community that there is a lot of young talent at Nintendo who grew up with the series that could be taking on the project and the Easter eggs in Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon seem to reinforce that idea.
You can count the details that have come up that multiple people have heard on three fingers and, surprisingly, this is actually one of them. The rumor in insider circles is that Nintendo is taking it on itself. Not Retro Studios. Not third parties. Not second parties. Nintendo itself, basically making it the first true Nintendo DK adventure game since Jungle Beat. Again, details have been teeth gnashingly scarce and this is one of the only details people actually agree on.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm rather torn because while the company having an interest in DK would be solid news, their attempts at it 2000-2009 didn't exactly blow me away. I've never really had much of a sense that Nintendo of Japan ever really got Donkey Kong Country in a significant way, hence the most significant legacy of the character post-Rare/Pre-Retro being the bongo controller.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm rather torn because while the company having an interest in DK would be solid news, their attempts at it 2000-2009 didn't exactly blow me away. I've never really had much of a sense that Nintendo of Japan ever really got Donkey Kong Country in a significant way, hence the most significant legacy of the character post-Rare/Pre-Retro being the bongo controller.
Jungle Beat is actually pretty fun but it definitely does have the infamous Miyamoto Special Snowflake touch to it. I played the Wii version and personally had a much more fun time with it.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I think that particular era won't reflect to this new game in terms of lack of fan favorites. As much as I love Jungle Beat, lack of Diddy and crew really stung. I think we're past that now as Nintendo seems to have a better handle of what fans love about the series besides gameplay and music. Dixie and Funky in particular are getting some good screen time as of late.

It makes sense why Nintendo would do it themselves. Retro is great, but with Prime 4 being number 1 priority for them, it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to wait on them to finish MP4 as it would probably add another 2 or 3 years to an already 6 year hiatus for the DK series. And it would probably take longer to find an outside studio they have faith in to handle this series.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong Racing Wave 15

• Wrinkly Kong, alive and kicking!
  • Bashmaster, taking his love of frozen treats to new extremes with his ice cream man inspired outfit
  • Taj
  • Scoff, representing for Troff since he won't be making the cut

Onto the last wave! Or is it...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Those are great! Even Wrinkly! Even if it's a total propaganda job.

Bashmaster works! The ice cream outfit is pretty inspired. Did you make the hands and feet "skin" colored to match Banjo and the Brothers Bear?
That's the only thing that's slightly weird to me, giving him a slightly Kong appearance. But that's the kind of weird thing about Banjo's normal design, too.

Taj. So if this were a real game, we'd have an uncomfortable moment where Taj can ride Ellie.

And Scoff. You gave him shorts! But not everyone is here....

A moment of silence for the fallen.

I will post it tomorrow!

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Thanks!

No propaganda here! Wrinkly was clearly just wearing a costume in 64.

Yeah I wanted to take some inspiration from Banjo for Bashmaster. I thought he needed to be a bit more cartoony to match everyone else.

Maybe it would an Ellie vehicle this time! Give her back a break.

Those things you mentioned had to go. This can't be a M rated fake game!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
After reading these past few posts Im trying not to get my hopes up for a new DK game. But just the thought of a Nintendo developed 3D DK game with a majority of the Kong family, K.Rool and Kremlings, animal buddies back, and hopefully the return of David Wise makes me salivate to no end and puts a big ass grin on my face especially if it ends up being this years holiday game. But like Thanos said "Reality is often disappointing..."

Handy Man

Smash Ace
After reading these past few posts Im trying not to get my hopes up for a new DK game. But just the thought of a Nintendo developed 3D DK game with a majority of the Kong family, K.Rool and Kremlings, animal buddies back, and hopefully the return of David Wise makes me salivate to no end and puts a big ass grin on my face especially if it ends up being this years holiday game. But like Thanos said "Reality is often disappointing..."
Yeah, it does seem too good to be true. But so did Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banio becoming playable in Ultimate. I feel like Nintendo has been doing a good job lately on capitalizing on its IPs in general for a newer generation of players. I can see Nintendo pushing the Donkey Kong brand hard over the next few years as well, especially with how it’s a part of the Nintendo Universal theme park. It’s been way too long since we had a full-fledged Donkey Kong outing with the kremlings, but as soon as it happens, it will be like they never left. I really hope Donkey Kong and the kremlings come back in full force, and that Diddy and Dixie are playable too. I would cry tears of joy if a game like that got released.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Finally nice to see the first DKC come to the Switch. It'll be great to see a new generation of DK fans come from this. Hopefully 2 & 3 follow suit as well.
I know I'm not a frequent visitor to this thread but I hope I'm welcome. I wanted to talk about somethings and how the tides may have shifted very strongly for Dixie with recent developments. To keep this post from being overly long, here are some topics on the DK series I have brought up in the Geno thread recently including it popping up in insider circles in the past 9 months:

Big Ol' Post I Did This Morning About a Couple of Topics Very Relevant to Dixie:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2925#post-24005105

Several Recent Examples of DK getting the Spotlight:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2924#post-24004586

Me Talking About the Origins of DK Rumors Last Year and Early This Year With Links and Citations:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2923#post-24004516

So, if you read all that, thank you and allow me to use those as a jumping off point for why I feel Dixie could wind up riding the recent raid into Smash.

"Donkey Kong and Diddy's Amiibo haven't been rereleased yet despite Donkey Kong being registered to released back in 2018."

It feels like they're saving both of them for a specific purpose. Keep in mind that K. Rool has released twice now without his respective rivals. In my eyes, this suggests a DK announcement of some kind on the horizon.

"Dixie is a unique spirit."

Spirits don't deconfirm but you all knew that already. Now that Ultimate has added the option to fight any spirit whenever you want (as long as you've already beaten them), I've gone back and have already blazed through about half of all the battles for the sake of research. For starters, Dixie is a spirit you have to summon in order to get. Second, despite having a hat, it's not used in her spirit battle. Instead, they kind of make it an awkward fit with a pink Isabelle. They didn't try to recreate her with Mii parts and I would argue that's a good sign. Her spirit battle points out something about Dixie that has been prevalent a long time.

"Dixie has a long history as an ALT."

Just as Waluigi has been a Luigi ALT since Brawl, Dixie has been one of Diddy. This is notable because Smash Ultimate has technically already had three ALT promotions: Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus. All echoes but that's not exactly the worst thing in the world as characters like Ken have shown. Echoes can be still be reasonably unique even if they only have a few move differences. With her history as an ALT, Diddy as a Dixie base would probably be a pretty easy promotion to do and, again, she has history and it's kind of notable her and Waluigi are still stuck as "costumes" of their counterparts. Speaking of history...

"Dixie was cut from Brawl."

Thanks to the "Forbidden Seven" in Brawl's code , we know Dixie was originally planned to be in the game. If you're a zoomer, you can read up on the topic here:

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Unused_content_(SSBB)

Roy, Dr. Mario, and Mewtwo eventually made their way back to Smash, Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik were probably dumped forever after Zelda and Sheik became permanently seperate characters in Smash 4, and nobody totally knows what the hell Pra-Mar is supposed to be. That just leaves Dixie as a character that's still relevant to the Smash scene but isn't in Smash yet. Like I linked earlier, all the insider stuff I've heard in the past year is that Season 2 would be very fan servicey, mostly catering to longtime fans, and Dixie definitely has as much history as Geno and Crash. Remember: Ridley was a character that was turned down multiple times too before getting in eventually.

"But Fatman, I thought you hadn't heard of Dixie in insider circles?"

I haven't but the past 7 months have shown that's potentially a good thing. Nintendo's pretty good at keeping secrets and keeps first party characters pretty close to the chest. Chrom, Dark Samus, K. Rool, Plant, Byleth, and Min Min did not leak (at least not widely). Meanwhile, Joker and Richter are so far the only third party characters who haven't leaked. That said, first party characters are much less likely to leak. This also adds to why I think bonus characters are not only possible but most, if not all, will be first party. It's definitely something to consider going forward.

Finally, to wrap things up, for some extra crunchy tin foil:

"Whoever 8 is will be coming with Banjo and Terry's Amiibo."

7 will be coming with Joker and Hero as well as rereleases of Cloud, Mario and Luigi and, trust me, the Geno fanbase has definitely taken notice. As noted, 8 will come with Banjo and Terry and there's a number of unreleased Amiibo that feel like would be all too appropriate to release. With Banjo, the Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong connection is definitely there while Terry is the only other character to wear a ball cap aside from Diddy. To crash land you all on a tinfoil planet, Terry also has a pony tail. Based on timing, it's also very heavily implied that 8 would release either in October or November, super close to the DKC anniversary. Could Dixie (and probably Crash) be the characters that the Banjo and Terry Amiibo commemorate? Guess we'll see.

All this said, I think Dixie has seen a strangely well timed boon (baboon?) that could propel her into Smash. Even if Dixie in Smash doesn't pan out, I think the future holds good things for DK fans so I hope the coming weeks will be exciting for you all.
I've been thinking about the whole Mii costume theory after you posted about it in the Waluigi thread and it really intrigues me. Both Waluigi and Dixie have the hats only and not the full outfit. Plus they are two of the more popular first party picks in the speculation scene who don't have the full Mii costume. I get excited of the possibility of those two potentially appearing the second pass, but then I have to remind myself to hype responsibly. I remember that you did hint towards Banjo & Kazooie last year Fatman and they finally got in. It's okay to have some skepticism when it comes to Smash rumors and leaks because who knows when it'll come. Thank you for sharing this information in this thread and the Waluigi thread Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . It will be interesting to see where this will lead to.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I just noticed. Do the shorts have a Troff pattern? That's a neat detail!

Or maybe the shorts are MADE from Troff?

That's a scary detail.

Edit:
Sorry! Something came up last minute, will have to delay posting until tomorrow! Tomorrow for sure!

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
I personally don't see a new DKC game coming out in the next two years.

For one, Retro is working on Metroid Prime 4 right now and their development team is too small to pump out a completely new Donkey Kong Country within the time of the Donkey Kong anniversaries. Also, I doubt another Nintendo developer would work on a new Donkey Kong Country considering Tropical Freeze's critical reception.

I personally see a remaster/HD remake of the Rare trilogy happening over a new game. I know the first Donkey Kong Country is coming to NSO and that it is evidence against this, but I still see it as more likely. A majority of switch players are now familiar with the main Donkey Kong characters: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and King K. Rool. Add this with the fact that DKC on Nintendo Switch Online is being amazingly received, a HD trilogy in time with DK's 40th anniversary isn't too unlikely.
If Nintendo really wanted to push a remastered trilogy, then Dixie Kong in smash is incredibly likely, especially since Fighter's Pass 2 will last until the end of next year at this point and that DKC2 would be a heavy focus of the trilogy because of the first DKC's presence on NSO. Dixie Kong in smash would also familiarize smash players with pretty much every main Donkey Kong Country character in the trilogy.

A new 3D DK could also happen, but if Nintendo is releasing any 3D Mario remakes this year as they were rumored too, then it might be after two years to avoid over saturation of 3D platformers made by Nintendo in such a short span of time.

The most likely option is, unfortunately, that no Donkey Kong games release in the next two years besides for the original games being added to NSO

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm so done with remasters/remakes etc. I see the logic behind it and the benefits but personally I want new games. The only exceptions I made were Wind Waker HD cuz I wanted that Wii U decal over NSMBU, N. Sane Trilogy cuz it was cheap and they went above and beyond, and Ratchet & Clank 2016 cuz it's an alternate universe reimagining.

That rant aside, if they go the remake route that's good for the franchise. New fans will flood in and we'll all be excited for the new game that comes afterward. I however will just hold oit for the new game. No hard feelings.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Nitro-Fueled. That game has so much more content than CTR it might as well be a new game.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
We're getting a new DK game announced soon guys. Direct on the 20th. I can feeeeeeeeel it.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm so done with remasters/remakes etc. I see the logic behind it and the benefits but personally I want new games. The only exceptions I made were Wind Waker HD cuz I wanted that Wii U decal over NSMBU, N. Sane Trilogy cuz it was cheap and they went above and beyond, and Ratchet & Clank 2016 cuz it's an alternate universe reimagining.

That rant aside, if they go the remake route that's good for the franchise. New fans will flood in and we'll all be excited for the new game that comes afterward. I however will just hold oit for the new game. No hard feelings.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Nitro-Fueled. That game has so much more content than CTR it might as well be a new game.
Agreed I feel Nintendo as a whole has relied too heavily on Ports/Remakes/Remasters the past few years.

- Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX
- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
- Wind Waker HD
- Twilight Princess HD
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
- Ocarina of Time 3D
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Majora's Mask 3D
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Tropical Freeze Switch
- Pokken Tournament DX
- Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 3D
- Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story 3D
- Luigi's Mansion for 3DS
- Super Mario Maker for 3DS
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (Switch/3DS)
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch/3DS)
- Boxboy + Boxgirl
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions Sharp #FE encore
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
- Yoshi & Poochy: Wooly World
- WarioWare: Gold
- Rhythm Heaven Megamix
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
- Bayonetta 2 (Switch)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Mario Party: The Top 100 (half new game, half remake)
- Metroid: Samus Returns

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. We also don't know if the 3D Mario remakes rumor is true so that's potentially 5 more remakes/ports.

Also to address DK specifically. If the original trilogy is remade I would be kinda disappointed. Would I buy them? Of course! But if all DK got was a remake after a port I would be extremely disappointed. Also considering DK only got a port on 3DS and if Switch all he gets is a port and remakes then I will be miffed..

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I don't mind ports and remasters tbh, I find them preferable to having the games become difficult to access and fade into obscurity, and they can introduce new generations to great games. Having said that, I am someone who keeps their retro consoles hooked up and plays older games just as frequently as newer ones, so there's usually not as much incentive for me to pick up a remastered version of a game I already own unless it offers something unique enough to justify the price.

I would be fine with an OG trilogy remake, but the series really needs a new title more.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Honestly i don't see the point of a remaster or remake for the original DKC trilogy, it's one of those trilogies that have aged remarkably well. Games like Mario 64 (hell almost any 3D game of the 5th generation if im beign brutally honest) are better choices for remakes because they........aged like milk in some areas.

The only benefit i see from a DKC trilogy remake is having all the goodies from the GBA ports (and DKC's GBC port) with none of the graphical/Sound downgrades, and even then i don't think anyone's dying to see the Extra DKC3 world or the extra minigames from 1 and 2 in HD.

DKC is one of those franchises where it would be much better to see a brand new installment. The only way to top the previous games is to do a brand new one, and they have shown that it's completely possible.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Honestly i don't see the point of a remaster or remake for the original DKC trilogy, it's one of those trilogies that have aged remarkably well. Games like Mario 64 (hell almost any 3D game of the 5th generation if im beign brutally honest) are better choices for remakes because they........aged like milk in some areas.

The only benefit i see from a DKC trilogy remake is having all the goodies from the GBA ports (and DKC's GBC port) with none of the graphical/Sound downgrades, and even then i don't think anyone's dying to see the Extra DKC3 world or the extra minigames from 1 and 2 in HD.

DKC is one of those franchises where it would be much better to see a brand new installment. The only way to top the previous games is to do a brand new one, and they have shown that it's completely possible.
To be fair, if there was a DKC3 remaster with GBA content, I’d personally love to see the extra world, Pacifica in it.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I just want a widescreen version of the DKC games; its the only real update I want another than some slightly crisper visuals.

(Having a restored version of the soundtrack ala the Jammin' Sam Miller versions on YouTube would be nice too, but whatever).

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Honestly I just want a widescreen version of the DKC games; its the only real update I want another than some slightly crisper visuals.

(Having a restored version of the soundtrack ala the Jammin' Sam Miller versions on YouTube would be nice too, but whatever).
I can see why you would say widescreen support. My only complaint about the original DKC trilogy is that screen crunch can cause some cheap deaths, due to an enemy or hazard being nearby and being unable to see them until it’s too late. I understand that screen crunch is mostly an issue because all of the sprites are large, but if the DKC trilogy offered some way of increasing what can be seen on screen at one time, they would be perfect video games. They already are perfect to me in a way, but I can’t count how many times I would die in the original DKC games just because something just entered my field of vision.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Agreed I feel Nintendo as a whole has relied too heavily on Ports/Remakes/Remasters the past few years.

- Wind Waker HD
- Twilight Princess HD
- Ocarina of Time 3D
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Majora's Mask 3D
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Tropical Freeze Switch
- Pokken Tournament DX
- Boxboy + Boxgirl
- Rhythm Heaven Megamix
- Bayonetta 2 (Switch)

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. We also don't know if the 3D Mario remakes rumor is true so that's potentially 5 more remakes/ports.

Also to address DK specifically. If the original trilogy is remade I would be kinda disappointed. Would I buy them? Of course! But if all DK got was a remake after a port I would be extremely disappointed. Also considering DK only got a port on 3DS and if Switch all he gets is a port and remakes then I will be miffed..
Minor nitpick but BoxBoy + BoxGirl isn't a remake or port, it's a new game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

- Wind Waker HD
- Twilight Princess HD
- Ocarina of Time 3D
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Majora's Mask 3D
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Tropical Freeze Switch
- Pokken Tournament DX
- Boxboy + Boxgirl
- Rhythm Heaven Megamix
- Bayonetta 2 (Switch)

Yeah. The industry as a whole has been on this trend and this gen feels like the remake era. Financially it's clever but I appreciate new games more, and I feel like DK could definitely use a brand new game now that Tropical Freeze won so many people over on Switch.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Widescreen versions of 2D sprite-based games are much much more difficult to do well compared to 3D games, but I think having more time to react to obstacles, as well as just having more of that gorgeous DKC environment design on your screen at a time, would be pretty cool to see.

I kinda wonder if all the project files for those games are sitting in a box somewhere at Rare HQ. I think, if they did do a remaster, it would be awesome if they were reconstructed with high-quality versions of the original ASM assets. One could dream.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Widescreen versions of 2D sprite-based games are much much more difficult to do well compared to 3D games, but I think having more time to react to obstacles, as well as just having more of that gorgeous DKC environment design on your screen at a time, would be pretty cool to see.

I kinda wonder if all the project files for those games are sitting in a box somewhere at Rare HQ. I think, if they did do a remaster, it would be awesome if they were reconstructed with high-quality versions of the original ASM assets. One could dream.
Part of my reasoning for wanting a widescreen version of the DKC trilogy is seeing how well such a change fit the original Sonic titles (including the fan made Sonic 3 AIR). Given that the Country games utilize a similar sense of kinetic speed for many levels, it strikes me as being a good fit for it. Its actually a shame there isn't more of a hacking community based around the series like there is with Sonic and Mario, as something along the lines of a 16:9 version probably would have been created by now.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do agree with you all that remastering the DKC Trilogy would be kind of a waste. The series has rereleased a number of times over the years and the original games have held up incredibly well, even aesthetically. They're timeless games and they're not like Super Mario 64, which is a classic, but in some aspects has aged like a omelette left sitting on top of a radiator. DK's best path is forward and honestly one of the few Nintendo franchises that looking at its past is kind of counterproductive in my opinion. Remakes and Remasters should be for games that have either aged poorly or cult classics, not for games that everyone has played and it's borderline unanimous that they're perfectly fine just the way they are (minor gripes about DKC3 aside).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , with the subject of Nintendo bringing back stuff that has been sitting in the attic for ages, do you think that includes stuff from relevant franchises as well? I ask because we just got a ton of old references in the latest Animal Crossing: New Horizons update with Captain Syrup, TTYD, and Krocodile Isle and more all being referenced. Plus Wart appearing in promotional hiring material.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , with the subject of Nintendo bringing back stuff that has been sitting in the attic for ages, do you think that includes stuff from relevant franchises as well? I ask because we just got a ton of old references in the latest Animal Crossing: New Horizons update with Captain Syrup, TTYD, and Krocodile Isle and more all being referenced. Plus Wart appearing in promotional hiring material.
Maybe. Like I said the other day, an insider contacted me the other day and basically backed up the few minor details that everybody seems to agree on: Nintendo developed and that Nintendo is treating the rumored DK project very seriously and when I say seriously, I mean with as much gravity as Mario or Zelda. Basically Nintendo wants to push the DK series back to it's glory days when it was a triple A franchise that could almost single handedly carry holiday seasons like it was when RARE was handling it. Sounds like Nintendo is tired of passing the buck with it with mixed results and wants to turn the series into a system seller again. Once again, I know this is hard to swallow and the DK fanbase has been burned a good number of times in the past 20 years but from my end it's sounds like good stuff is on the horizon.

Top Bottom