• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I get that there’s a stigma against zoners, but being demonized for being a Simon main is silly. I’d rather fight a Belmont than most other zoners out there now for that matter.

Not sure what to expect for this direct. Hope that the last Smash reveal is gotten out of the way at least (for better or worse far as the character), but even that’s not necessarily guaranteed. Feels likely though, but yeah, feeling too drained to make some kind of premature speech.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I do find it weird that Simon catches flak; I know a guy IRL who is a huge fan of Simon and regularly goes to tournaments. Never knew Simon is reviled, but I never looked into it deeply either.

The point on possible winter-releases is sure intriguing.... imagine if a new DK-title had long gone gold to be prepared for it and the Direct opened with that.

Nevertheless I'd be pretty surprised if this Direct wouldn't have our very final Smash-reveal, but to be quite honest, I rather be seeing our long-awaited DK-title announced in some capacity. At the end, I can't see Dixie feeling right here unless she'd been a bonus character because how much meltdown there would be from everyone else that wanted their long-awaited 3rd Parties that hadn't been chipped off to this very point.

What do you guys think though?

Well in Dixie's case she's got that "Sure, why not" energy going for her outside of this thread. They're not clamoring for her but they're not opposed either. Her being the last Nintendo All-Star fighter will disappoint but her "Sure, why not" status can counterbalance that.

Plus, what you really need for people to like Dixie is a good trailer. If they bring the hype, the fandom will reply in kind, plus that along with her status could drown out the backlash. Make it exciting and only a few will complain. Plus, it's hard to top Bayonetta and Byleth's backlash; tons of people doubted that she won the ballot and the initial Like/Dislike ratio that Byleth had was worse than any other reveal. My personal suspicion is that Nintendo had a lot of people like the vid to counter the very negative reception of Byleth's reveal, but I have no proof and is thus only speculation. Also I should point out that I'm apathetic to both Byleth and Bayonetta. I don't hate, love, like, dislike or care about them. I have no positive or negative opinion, so I'm not a hater.

Basically, if Dixie's ever getting in, a hype trailer will ease a lot of tensions. Plus, personally getting mad at these reveals is so boring.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I get that there’s a stigma against zoners, but being demonized for being a Simon main is silly. I’d rather fight a Belmont than most other zoners out there now for that matter.

Yeah. And while I haven't exactly played Ultimate for a long time, I'm pretty sure lot of folk feel similarly as you regarding their mains.
I mean I still remember how people tend to call Banjo "boring" as a DLC in comparison to others, mainly out of how they felt them lacking some "amazing" gimmick to make them excitable and thus implying hardly anyone likes to play as them, only wanting them to satisfy their self-centric agenda of getting what they want in Smash-series. And that's before "cereal mascot"/"scrimblo bimblo"-thing Banjo's reputation sent off due how people came to feel conflicted with other vocal fans rallying for similar 90s' platformer stars like him. :charizard:

No matter, I still love to play as Banjo and Richter especially, and couldn't be more thankful for them being here. No need to let the folk disliking your main get all over on you.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I still think Dixie's best shot is if they decide to give us a bonus echo fighter or two.
I absolutely think Dixie is the biggest missing Nintendo all-star, but she doesn't feel big enough to end Ultimate with as a standalone fighter.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I do find it weird that Simon catches flak; I know a guy IRL who is a huge fan of Simon and regularly goes to tournaments. Never knew Simon is reviled, but I never looked into it deeply either.
To be fair, nobody hates Simon nowadays compared to the early days of Ultimate's Meta-game. Simon is basically a scrub killer, if you don't know how to deal with him you will hate his guts, and because he was a recent character people didn't knew how to deal with him. Months later Simon no longer became a threat as it was understood what weaknesses he had. The only people that still hate him are the ones that put up with Online play, but at that point i blame it on Online being legitimately terrible. If Smash Ultimate had good online, Simon would still be used as a spammer in some areas, but lag wouldn't make it an issue.

Character hating is a reason why i enjoy Smash by myself. King Of Skill's Young Link hate became so obnoxious that it basically made me stop watching his videos (well, that and he never did a "MEwTWO is BAD" montage, but that was also the moment i kinda distanced myself from most communities)

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If a new DKC does get announced tomorrow with Dixie being featured, of course I'd be over the moon excited and overjoyed, but I'd also be a little sad that (assuming CP11 gets announced tomorrow as well) it would be announced after speculation comes to a close, I think the ideal time to reveal the game would have been E3, since I've seen a lot of characters discussion in speculation tend to get enormous boosts (both 1st and 3rd party) after a new game in their series is announced (featuring said character of course), with the only exception being if a spirit event or mii costume was announced later.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
To be fair, nobody hates Simon nowadays compared to the early days of Ultimate's Meta-game. Simon is basically a scrub killer, if you don't know how to deal with him you will hate his guts, and because he was a recent character people didn't knew how to deal with him. Months later Simon no longer became a threat as it was understood what weaknesses he had. The only people that still hate him are the ones that put up with Online play, but at that point i blame it on Online being legitimately terrible. If Smash Ultimate had good online, Simon would still be used as a spammer in some areas, but lag wouldn't make it an issue.

Character hating is a reason why i enjoy Smash by myself. King Of Skill's Young Link hate became so obnoxious that it basically made me stop watching his videos (well, that and he never did a "MEwTWO is BAD" montage, but that was also the moment i kinda distanced myself from most communities)
That reminds me, I think Smash 4 had the best online multiplayer of the series. The Wii U in general got some things right with online play, but since it was a flop Nintendo must've figured they'd just scrap everything and start over. Usernames instead of Friend Codes is so much easier, plus it was free lol. Lag wasn't bad either; we went from Brawl's Abysmal to Smash 4's Decent; you could even voice chat with friends before the match started.

In the years since Ultimate has released I have never used online play; NSO is dirt cheap but since I'd only play Smash I figured I'd rather not pay for bad service and just stick to local. I'm just rambling at this point lol

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be fair, a Switch lan adapter makes online much more manageable. I never went back to regular wifi since I started using a lan connection. The main problem with Ultimate’s online is things like the GSP system, but not every game can have a good progression system, as shown with any series.

The NES and SNES library also makes NSO worth it imo, for a certain period of time at least. There’s still been rumors about a Game Boy or N64 NSO, but I’d prefer the former.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Remember this little list?

Things that have happened before a new DKC game after DKCTP's release:
-The Trump Administration.
-Creed 1 and 2.
-Back to the Future Day.
-JoJo reaching animated adaptations of part 4 and 5.
-Bubsy's return.
-Kingdom Hearts 3 being released.
-FF7R being announced, and then having its first episode released.
-Sonic getting a ****ing film.
-Pokémon getting a live action film.
-Spongebob becoming a movie trilogy.
-Adventure Time and Regular Show's finale.
-Spidey joining the MCU and Iron Man biting the dust.
-Godzilla vs King Kong redux announced.
-Overwatch becoming a thing, and all the drama with Hong Kong.
-Blizzard crashing and burning.
-KOF XV being announced.
-Crash and Spyro being revived.
-Japan went from the Heisei era to the Reiwa era.
-and regarding Smash, all the characters that have been announced after DKCTP's release: Greninja, Mii Fighers, Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Bayo, Inklings, Ridley, the Belmonts, K.Rool, Ken, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Steve and Alex, Sephiroth and now, Pyra & Mythra.

Jesus. This makes me a little sad.
Now i can add:

-Kazuya joins Smash.
-Warioware gets a new game.
-ADVANCE WARS COMES BACK FROM THE DEAD.
-a whole virus thingy that i forgot to mention, whoops.
-Getsu Fuuma of all franchises getting revived.
-Xenoblade going from niche localization miracle to Monolith's household series.
-METROID. ****ING. DREAD.
-Stone Ocean Anime.
-Nick getting its own platform fighter.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The next two characters for Donkey Kong Racing are here!

From a series that takes inspiration from DK and Banjo, Lucky from Super Lucky's Tale!

And the star of the cancelled Sabreman Stampede, which was originally Donkey Kong Racing, Sabreman!

Two more characters to go!
Hey Seashore, this is another excellent addition to your roster! I never played either character's games, but I remember Sabreman alllllllll the way back in Banjo-Tooie. 8 yr old me thought he was pretty fascinating after helping him in Hailfire Peaks, and I remember Super Lucky's Tale standing out to me a few years back. He's one of the recent 3D Cartoony Platformers and I probably would have been all over that game if I was younger.

As the most recent installment I've linked it at the top of the OP. Thanks again for all your contributions.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
What Ultimate's speculation scene has taught me is that you DON'T want your most wanted to be commonly discussed. Speculation appears to be far more important to people than the actual game, and it is now trivially easy for people to turn against a character and their fans if they are pop up too much in speculation. Crash got hit hard with this. So it's a bit of a double edge sword with Dixie: it would be nice to see her brought up more often, but its also a relief that she isn't because then she doesn't get an increase amount of detractors formed just because they tire of seeing her name.

While it is sad that Ultimate may be done in the next few hours, it's also a good thing as the Smash speculation scene really needs to chill out, step back and take a break. It's been crazy overheated and spiteful this time.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I realized awhile ago that some people view Smash speculation as the true "game," with the game of Smash Bros you play being secondary. Says something too when some are more invested in seeing others disappointed (over deconfirmed characters and such) or being right about their character getting in than actually playing the game itself.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well if this is really the end, it's been a wild ride.

Regardless of her chance, I'm still very grateful to see a good amount of supporters on this thread that opened up many ideas that could make her an unique and excellent fighter as well as ideas for a new Dk game (which I still hope one comes eventually since Tropical Freeze was successful on both consoles it was released on). Thank you all for your support and let's hope for the best.
e5146b2cb5737b5660007685dc8345ad.jpg

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well if this is really the end, it's been a wild ride.

Regardless of her chance, I'm still very grateful to see a good amount of supporters on this thread that opened up many ideas that could make her an unique and excellent fighter as well as ideas for a new Dk game (which I still hope one comes eventually since Tropical Freeze was successful on both consoles it was released on). Thank you all for your support and let's hope for the best.View attachment 331337

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I realized awhile ago that some people view Smash speculation as the true "game," with the game of Smash Bros you play being secondary. Says something too when some are more invested in seeing others disappointed (over deconfirmed characters and such) or being right about their character getting in than actually playing the game itself.
I remember long on trying to discuss this issue way back in Smash 4-days due dealing with the poor brunt of "loser" side back then, only to get dismissed as overly melodramatic myself. Kinda puts things to odd perspective as we've reached to this very point.

I'm entirely not sure what to say on my end. E3 felt perhaps the final pitch of big hopes, which some ended unexpectedly from other places. As of now I kinda do feel drained, but am hoping we at least see DK-centric news from this Direct, if anything.

But man, it really feels like a long journey of more than a decade on my end - and surely some others.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Alright let's get this over with. Maybe I'll see more than one game I'll buy lol

EDIT: Wasn't bad; Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3 and Kirby looked good. Dread's basically out in 2 weeks and it looked good as well.

Seth Rogan as DK made me lol, along with Chris Pratt as Mario. Jack Black playing Bowser has me going "Alright, let's see what you got"

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Feels like Nintendo and Miyamoto especially are way too caught up in trying to be trendy with the cast. I don't know if DK has an ideal voice, but Seth Rogen isn't really what comes to mind.

On the plus side though, with Banjo in, maybe Diddy Kong Racing on Switch is now a possibility.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Feels like Nintendo and Miyamoto especially are way too caught up in trying to be trendy with the cast. I don't know if DK has an ideal voice, but Seth Rogen isn't really what comes to mind.

On the plus side though, with Banjo in, maybe Diddy Kong Racing on Switch is now a possibility.
He has an ideal voice, at least a singing one.

The DKC cartoon sucks ass for the most part, but the voice of DK, both in dialogue (Richard Darvis) and singing (Sterling Jarvis) is one of the things they nailed.

Kritter

Smash Cadet
I wonder how much the NSO expansion pack will be. I think it's pretty lame that it is an additional cost. I will wait to subscribe until more games come out. At least Banjo is eventually coming. Disappointed we didn't see a new DK game. I have nothing against the Kirby franchise, but it blows my mind how many games it gets when DK gets nothing. Kirby must get the 2nd-most amount of games of any Nintendo franchise.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I wonder how much the NSO expansion pack will be. I think it's pretty lame that it is an additional cost. I will wait to subscribe until more games come out. At least Banjo is eventually coming. Disappointed we didn't see a new DK game. I have nothing against the Kirby franchise, but it blows my mind how many games it gets when DK gets nothing. Kirby must get the 2nd-most amount of games of any Nintendo franchise.
To be fair, that's because Kirby has his own dedicated development team, Hal Labs, who are known for only making Kirby games nowadays. (at least after Sakurai quit Hal Labs and made SORA LTD)

THAT is what DK needs, a developer who dedicates itself to make the best DK experiences possible, instead of being tossed around from developer to developer. That's why DKC was on a roll on the RARE era, as DKC was RARE's brainchild and one of their meal tickets.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
-Seth Rogan as DK.

As if i needed more reasons to not watch this film. Celebirity voices in Animated films are aids. I can't help but think of THAT one video.
Ironically I happened to watch this video on celebrities ruining voice actor industry on Western movies some hours prior to the direct, so I do feel ya. I'd never believe if someone told me how Miyamoto was being excited to hear his characters voiced by bread 'n' butter celebrities of this past decade... (Kamek AND Cranky Kong in the movie though sound like an interesting surprise though beyond already leaked Foreman Spike) :025:

Lowkey felt more exhausted hearing those announcements for separate Directs to two most anticipated annoucements - almost has me feel this Direct was little oddly put out if it weren't for Kirby (which I'm so happy to see finally make a jump to 3D, especially quite open-world!), the unexpected combo of N64 and Genesis to NSO (which we hadn't seen since Wii, but sad to see it's bundled as "it's own add-on"... BUT THERE'S SIN & PUNISHMENT...) and especially Bayonetta 3 (Been trying to avoid anything Dread-related to keep spoilers to complete minimum since hearing how Nintendo's been handing out major story details inside the trailers and Splatoon 3 was kinda neat, but not exactly something what most people might had been thinking about first over New Horizons + Smash-news...)

Nevertheless, guess we're left speculating on what the finale of Ultimate's content will under two weeks...

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Ironically I happened to watch this video on celebrities ruining voice actor industry on Western movies some hours prior to the direct, so I do feel ya. I'd never believe if someone told me how Miyamoto was being excited to hear his characters voiced by bread 'n' butter celebrities of this past decade... (Kamek AND Cranky Kong in the movie though sound like an interesting surprise though beyond already leaked Foreman Spike)

Lowkey felt more exhausted hearing those announcements for separate Directs to two most anticipated annoucements - almost has me feel this Direct was little oddly put out if it weren't for Kirby (which I'm so happy to see finally make a jump to 3D, especially quite open-world!), the unexpected combo of N64 and Genesis to NSO (which we hadn't seen since Wii) and especially Bayonetta 3 (Beentrying to avoid anything Dread-related to keep spoilers to complete minimum since hearing how Nintendo's been handing out major story details inside the trailers and Splatoon 3 was kinda neat, but not exactly something what most people might had been thinking about first over New Horizons + Smash-news...)

Nevertheless, guess we're left speculating on what the finale of Ultimate's content will under two weeks...

To be fair, it could be different in the Japanese Direct.

From what i heard, in Japan, being a voice actor makes you a celebrity by itself, even if they never have seen your face, which is why the likes of Norio Wakamoto are som revered over there, unlike in the US where you are only recognized if you are a LIVE actor, and not a voice actor. So Japan's voice cast while still celebrity focused, at least basis itself on the talents of the voice industry. or maybe not i haven't watched the Japanese Direct.

Something similar happens in Latin America, in which some LATAM voice actors are recognized and popular. Goku's voice actor is famous in Mexico (that and his over 50 other roles)

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Cranky Kong getting in over Diddy (as far as we know for the time being) again huh, he seems to get around after that Mario and Rabbids game.
Remember that whole "Diddy is basically a Rare creation so Japanese Nintendo developers are weary of using him" stigma? It seems to still crop up from time to time. I mean Cranky is also a Rare creation, but he is supposed to be Miyamoto's original DK so it's less of an issue to them.

Kritter

Smash Cadet
To be fair, that's because Kirby has his own dedicated development team, Hal Labs, who are known for only making Kirby games nowadays. (at least after Sakurai quit Hal Labs and made SORA LTD)

THAT is what DK needs, a developer who dedicates itself to make the best DK experiences possible, instead of being tossed around from developer to developer. That's why DKC was on a roll on the RARE era, as DKC was RARE's brainchild and one of their meal tickets.
I'm very happy for Kirby fans. It's a franchise that I wish I were more into, both because it looks cool and it gets so many games. For whatever reason I've never been able to get into it, but maybe I'll give the new game a try.

Yes, a dedicated DK studio would be so great. I can't help but think if Rare stayed with Nintendo we'd have many more DK games.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Puzzling to me that they didn't just reveal the price for the new subscription plan then and there. I doubt it'll cost egregiously more than the regular plan, but I see what they're doing; coaxing people into accepting price increases over time.

And yeah, still calling that the Mario movie's going to be terrible. Star power =/= quality. You could argue that the casting for the original Mario movie was better, especially since it was before Mario and Luigi had a defined personality in the main canon. Bayonetta 3 looks cool though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I still think Dixie's best shot is if they decide to give us a bonus echo fighter or two.
I absolutely think Dixie is the biggest missing Nintendo all-star, but she doesn't feel big enough to end Ultimate with as a standalone fighter.
Do Smash typically end on "the biggest"? Not really.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's amazing to me that given the contrasts in consistency for their respective franchises that Sonic ended up getting a film that was fairly restrained and low-key respectful to the character while Mario is getting the celebrity filled fluff from the people that did the Minions movies.
I may be wrong, but I also believe that Sonic SatAM is more well received than any Mario cartoon.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I may be wrong, but I also believe that Sonic SatAM is more well received than any Mario cartoon.
Yeah, Sonic basically has been fairly lucky with adaptations. When the worst piece of non-gaming media to feature your character is a one season bit of meh like Sonic Underground, you're not doing too bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom