• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Do you guys think we could get a new DK themed Switch console along with the new game, and if so would you buy one?
With the rumours about a new 4K compatible version of the console on the horizon, I could see it being a possibility!
Personally, I'd only get it if it meant upgrading to new hardware.
I think we will eventually get a official new DKC game on the Switch since it is increasingly becoming Nintendo's best selling home console. But if Retro is working on it again, don't expect to see it until after Metroid Prime 4 releases.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm probably going to trade in my vanilla Switch as soon as there's some kind of upgrade. If it's DK-themed, all the better.

Also, I don't love the idea of putting the Kremlings, Tikis and Snowmads all in one game. That sounds overwhelming. Actually, even just Kremlings and Snowmads sounds overwhelming! I think they should pick either Kremlings or Snowmads to be the "main" bad guys of the game and then, if they want, throw in the Tikis as backup.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I may be late, but my ideas for K. Rool personas are:

A British persona, General K. Roollis, so that the Kongs would say, "The Kremlings are coming! The Kremlings are coming!" Also to pay homage to Rareware, who made the original trilogy and are British.

The other one is: Kernel K Roolders! He opens up a food restaurant chain called KFC (Kremling's Fried Chicken) and has his minions hunt down all birds, including the Banana Birds.

And if you release Squawks from a crate or play as him, the bad guys will go into frenzy mode and try to get Squawks, meaning you will have to be more careful to protect him.

I already shared these ideas with R RetrogamerMax , by the way.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I may be late, but my ideas for K. Rool personas are:

A British persona, General K. Roollis, so that the Kongs would say, "The Kremlings are coming! The Kremlings are coming!" Also to pay homage to Rareware, who made the original trilogy and are British.

The other one is: Kernel K Roolders! He opens up a food restaurant chain called KFC (Kremling's Fried Chicken) and has his minions hunt down all birds, including the Banana Birds.

And if you release Squawks from a crate or play as him, the bad guys will go into frenzy mode and try to get Squawks, meaning you will have to be more careful to protect him.

I already shared these ideas with R RetrogamerMax , by the way.
Maybe not the KFC though. Who knows what kind of trouble that could cause!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What? Oh right. I heard bad things about how KFC treats their chickens and how ticked off people would be. In my point of view, though, I thought it would have been kinda funny.
I think the idea of it is hilarious. Imagine seeing a bunch of hungry crazy Kremlings trying to go after Squawks and trying to eat him. That would be funny to see in action.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the idea of it is hilarious. Imagine seeing a bunch of hungry crazy Kremlings trying to go after Squhawks and trying to eat him. That would be funny to see in action.
No kidding!

If not birds, maybe the Kongs themselves instead. With K. Rool being Khef K. Roolardee (guess who that is named after?)

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
What? Oh right. I heard bad things about how KFC treats their chickens and how ticked off people would be. In my point of view, though, I thought it would have been kinda funny.
I am not sure of the ramifications of your last statement, but that too! I was talking about the abbreviation itself. You know how trigger-happy large companies (and individuals for that matter) can be with lawsuits!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am not sure of the ramifications of your last statement, but that too! I was talking about the abbreviation itself. You know how trigger-happy large companies (and individuals for that matter) can be with lawsuits!
Oh, yeah. That. It was just a joke, though.

In terms of cooking the Kongs as Khef K. Roolardee, maybe all difficulty modes would have the Kremlings be fast and give the Kongs a hard time, with harder difficulties making it so that they have pots near them that will cause the player to lose a life if they are thrown into them. The easy mode where none of this happens would have to be unlocked.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh, yeah. That. It was just a joke, though.

In terms of cooking the Kongs as Khef K. Roolardee, maybe all difficulty modes would have the Kremlings be fast and give the Kongs a hard time, with harder difficulties making it so that they have pots near them that will cause the player to lose a life if they are thrown into them. The easy mode where none of this happens would have to be unlocked.
That could work.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm still of the opinion we need the military general leading his army of Kremlings against the Kongs; him as Kommander K Rool, decked out in Napoleon Bonaparte gear and on top of some crude mechanical horse the Kremlings have slapped together. He even reaches into his shirt pocket like his namesake... but only to pull out spiky hazards to throw at the Kongs.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm still of the opinion we need the military general leading his army of Kremlings against the Kongs; him as Kommander K Rool, decked out in Napoleon Bonaparte gear and some crude mechanical horse the Kremlings have slapped together.
Now I would love that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Now I would love that.
To fit in with the old British vs French rivalry, have some of K. Rool's troops rebel against him for his cruelty, dress up as the British, and have the rebels and K. Rool and his remaining troops fight as Donkey Kong and the other Kongs take advantage of this while saying "What the heck is going on?!".

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
So, is that a good or bad thing?

How about Klang for the horses's name?
It depends on wht angle you look at it from. If Donkey Kong and Metroid now have the same developer, it could be received as a nod. Otherwise, it may be received as a contribution tio the denaturation of the predominantly 'real' animal cast...

And Klang could work if it refers to a sound effect.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

It's nice to see Nintendo putting DK in the same thumbnail as Mario and Link. Even if seeing the thumbnail itself almost gave me a heart attack.

We also got Crash and Spyro in the same ad.
For those that don't know. DK and Crash have been in the same game before (Thanks Jon):

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
When someone asks "What more can you do with DK after Tropical Freeze?" I show them these. All of the unused concept art for Retro's games have great potential.
This irks me a lot when people say "What more can you [Example]?" Those same people usually aren't on board for the initial element until it's revealed, like K. Rool being added in Smash and people clamoring who else can they really add? Based on the two fighter passes and characters yet to be revealed at the time, there's still plenty that can be done, that goes for Smash and everything else. Donkey Kong still to me can go places with the 2D platforming genre and is long overdue for a second take on the 3D platforming genre. It's not hard to improve on DK64.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of that is rooted in people inexperienced or just not familiar not only with what different things 2D games are doing now, but what they've done in the past.

One of the benefits of growing up in the age of the two dimensional platformer was a deep understanding of its mechanics, its experiments, and its failures. Knowing that stuff is what makes 16 bit games like Mario, Sonic, and DKC even stronger because there's a comprehension of what can go wrong with the genre even with interesting ideas. I think some just look at the stagnation of stuff like the (non Maker) 2D Mario titles and project that over numerous releases of that type, not understanding that that specifically is a NSMB problem more than anything else. Or those that look at the Sonic titles and assume its all about going fast, not understanding the balance of speed/platforming/exploration that completely differentiates a Sonic 1 from 2 or 3 & Knuckles.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, I think we might hear of new Nintendo-related projects in general sometime in March. February will obviously be focused on marketing/releasing Super Mario 3D World DX, and April will be the start of the new fiscal year. Cutting it close, I know, but it's what happened last year.

Part of that is rooted in people inexperienced or just not familiar not only with what different things 2D games are doing now, but what they've done in the past.

Part of the benefit of growing up in the age of the two dimensional platformer was a deep understanding of its mechanics, its experiments, and its failures. Knowing that stuff is what makes 16 bit games like Mario, Sonic, and DKC even stronger because there's a comprehension of what can go wrong with the genre even with interesting ideas. I think some just look at the stagnation of stuff like the (non Maker) 2D Mario titles and project that over numerous releases of that type, not understanding that that specifically is a NSMB problem more than anything else. Or those that look at the Sonic titles and assume its all about going fast, not understanding the balance of speed/platforming/exploration that completely differentiates a Sonic 1 from 2 or 3 & Knuckles.
Not to mention the tons of 2D-focused indie titles that all experiment in their own ways to various degrees, from all the fresh blood that entered the industry.

If anything, they're just taking a while to adjust DKC's recipe, see what ingredients could use better dosage before they go about putting it in the oven until it's ready for consumption again. I've been watching cooking shows lately, so sue me.

If DKC gets a 3D installment again, I don't see Retro doing it. 2D is their niche for DKC, and I understand that choice. I would see Ubisoft Montellier do it, due to the sheer enthusiasm they showed for Kingdom Battle's DLC. Thinking that DKC has to go 3D when Retro works on that again would be like assuming Metroid Prime 4 will suddenly be 2D simply because the Metroid Returns remake was 2D itself.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's so weird seeing Tropical Freeze promoted like this given how old it is, especially as the second game in that video ahead of Kirby.

Something is definitely up.
Reminds me of the time that we randomly got a :ultdk: vs. :ultkirby: tournament. That wasn't thought of much at the time, but I'm not sure if...

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Maybe a Kremling, reptile like horse, like how there was a reptile octopus boss in the Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA version.
I think it'd be cool if K. Rool had some kind of mount, but it shouldn't be a horse. It should be a triceratops!

Think about it. DK rides a rhino, so it's only natural that K. Rool rides a horned reptilian. Actually, dinosaurs are long overdue in the DK series. They're a staple of classic adventure fiction like King Kong and Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World. I'd love a dinosaur-themed world in the next DK game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's so weird seeing Tropical Freeze promoted like this given how old it is, especially as the second game in that video ahead of Kirby.

Something is definitely up.
I mean, Mario Kart 8 is just as old as Tropical Freeze yet the Switch port is like the best selling game on the console. No matter how old the product, whatever racks money get's promoted no matter what.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I'm not entirely sure, but K. Rool should be at the end though.
I have an idea that meshes with this perfectly! Dixie is famous for her hair, yes? K. Rool is bald, yes? What if her route was called 'Getting Hairy,' where her allies have copious amounts of hair or fur, and her opponents, such as Kirby and King K. Rool, are bald or hairless? Conveniently, K. Rool would conclude, as you said.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have an idea that meshes with this perfectly! Dixie is famous for her hair, yes? K. Rool is bald, yes? What if her route was called 'Getting Hairy,' where her allies have copious amounts of hair or fur, and her opponents, such as Kirby and King K. Rool, are bald or hairless? Conveniently, K. Rool would conclude, as you said.
That would be genius.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Question: What should Dixie's Classic Mode scheme be like?
A Frozen Journey - Basically Dixie battles enemies/bosses from TF:

Tuck (:ultkingdedede: x2) - Tortimer Island: A pair of slightly aggressive Tucks representing the early beach levels of Tropical Freeze.

Pompey (Giant :ultduckhunt:) - Omega Summit: A big battle against the seal with icy ground.

Skowl (:ultfalco: & mini :ultfalco: x3) - N64 Dreamland: Endure both the owl's flight (via jetpack), the mini owls, & strong winds moving you around

Ba-Boom (:ultdiddy:) - Battlefield Kongo Jungle: All three Ba-Booms will be armed with Bob-ombs periodically.

Bashmaster (Giant :ultbanjokazooie:) - Omega Kongo Falls: The Bear's got the DK Hammer and Freezies will be all about.

Lord Frederik (:ultbowser:) - Omega Norfair: With Uniras falling in all the time, the lord of the Snowmads will give you everything he's got including his ice dragons (Rathalos).

On the higher intensities following the defeat of Frederik, Dixie will battle the newly arrived :ultkrool: to finish off her Classic Mode

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
A Frozen Journey - Basically Dixie battles enemies/bosses from TF:

Tuck (2 x King Dedede) - Tortimer Island: A pair of slightly aggressive Tucks representing the early beach levels of Tropical Freeze.

Pompey (Giant Duck Hunt) - Omega Summit: A big battle against the seal with icy ground.

Skowl (Falco & 3 x mini Falcos) - N64 Dreamland: Endure both the owl's flight (via jetpack), the mini owls, & strong winds moving you around

Ba-Boom (3 x Diddy Kong) - Battlefield Kongo Jungle: All three Ba-Booms will be armed with Bob-ombs periodically.

Bashmaster (Giant Banjo Kazooie) - Omega Kongo Falls: The Bear's got the DK Hammer and Freezies will be all about.

Lord Frederik (Bowser) - Omega Norfair: With Uniras falling in all the time, the lord of the Snowmads will give you everything he's got including his ice dragons (Rathalos).

On the higher intensities following the defeat of Frederik, Dixie will battle the newly arrived King K Rool to finish off her Classic Mode
I have not played Tropical Freeze, so this may as well be French to me! However, basing the mode on Tropical Freeze bosses would be appropriate if you get around the idea that Cranky or Funky could just as easily have this route. On the other hand, Dixie does not have too many options, so it works well anyway.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I think Dixie should fight Galleom, as a reference to Kaos. But she can be one of those characters like Bowser and Mega Man that fight another playable character after their boss (King K. Rool in this case, obviously).
It is a good idea about Galleom, but I am not sure that players would necessarily take the hint unless Dixie's route specifically is stated as featuring Donkey Kong Country 3 characters. After all, Kaos and Galleom look nothing alike, so you would often be the route designer if you consciously knew what connection was made. Otherwise, Galleom is a prime candidate.

Top Bottom