• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
As far as the Tiki Tribe, I wouldn't be against keeping them around. Not necessarily as major antagonists, but as joke villains that pop up on occasion still trying to get revenge on the Kongs despite getting beaten every time? There's some fun to be had from that.
The tikis, in my opinion, represent a very bothersome event-- the displacement of Donkey Kong's most iconic villain, you know who. A largely popular reaction to it might cause K. Rool to fade slowly into the appendix of a Kong history book, and I would be sore for that!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As far as the Tiki Tribe, I wouldn't be against keeping them around. Not necessarily as major antagonists, but as joke villains that pop up on occasion still trying to get revenge on the Kongs despite getting beaten every time? There's some fun to be had from that.
This is the best way to do it. To keep all 2 of the Tiki Tak Tribe fans out there happy. I wouldn't have them as main antagonists ever again but they could appear in the background of levels causing shenanigans. Maybe show them fighting Kremlings in the background and they always lose in comical fashion.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That would be kind of neat. Imagine a new DKC game where K. Rool and the Kremlings return as the main antagonists and the Tiki Tribe come back as side villains for the first level or something. That would be cool and funny to see the Tikis come back in a minor role like that only to get their ***** run over by the Kongs faster than last time.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
This is the best way to do it. To keep all 2 of the Tiki Tak Tribe fans out there happy. I wouldn't have them as main antagonists ever again but they could appear in the background of levels causing shenanigans. Maybe show them fighting Kremlings in the background and they always lose in comical fashion.
Wouldn't that be kind of mean to the folks at Retro who created the Tikis?

Tiki's could also serve as the weaker drones, as Gnawties and the like. As I doubt those will be back, even if the Kremlings return.
Excuse me.

Gnawty > Klump
Gnawty > Kritter
Gnawty > Krusha

If I were making the new DK, these would be the mathematical relationships I'd make everyone work under. Gnawty is essential!
I gotta be honest, I never really liked Gnawties. The name is brilliant, but their design doesn't do it for me at all. That vacant, walleyed stare will forever haunt my nightmares. Now, Neeks... there's a Goomba analogue I'd love to see again!

Of course, if I could pick one and only one non-Kremling enemy type to bring back in future DK games, I'd pick Zingers.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wouldn't that be kind of mean to the folks at Retro who created the Tikis?

I gotta be honest, I never really liked Gnawties. The name is brilliant, but their design doesn't do it for me at all. That vacant, walleyed stare will forever haunt my nightmares. Now, Neeks... there's a Goomba analogue I'd love to see again!

Of course, if I could pick one and only one non-Kremling enemy type to bring back in future DK games, I'd pick Zingers.
You do have a point. Disrespecting the Tikis with Kremlings beating them up might be disrespecting Retro in a sense.

And hell yeah! They should bring back the Zingers. Maybe the next big Zinger could be Prince Zinger or Princess Zinger who wants revenge on the Kongs killing their mom and dad in the first two games.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I mean the Tikis are bad guys its not like DK/Diddy didnt lay the smackdown on them in Returns. Why cant the Kremlings do the same?
I guess. But Planet Cool Planet Cool has a point about the Kremlings beating up Tikis as kind of a sign of disrespect to Retro. Bad guys beating up other bad guys seems kind of weird don't you think?

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I guess. But Planet Cool Planet Cool has a point about the Kremlings beating up Tikis as kind of a sign of disrespect to Retro. Bad guys beating up other bad guys seems kind of weird don't you think?
I did not think of the politics until Planet Cool said this! I fully agree with them. Though, it would have something of a realistic (please do not burn me for saying "realistic") portrayal of how opposing factions exist regardless of having a common enemy.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Kremlings beating up Tikis seems too meta to me, and in a tacky way, not like Cranky Kong charming meta. Like fanbase grudge manifested meta.

And that's coming from someone who doesn't even really like the Tikis at all. Let's just move on I say. The pillar Tikis may have a place and maybe the other ones down the road. But I don't really care to see any Tikis in the future.

IMO, Gnawty is cute and creepy at the same time. And very memorable, the first enemy anybody who played DKC sees. They were also in DK64!

I do like Neeks too, but I'd take Gnawties over them for sure. Especially if you consider that Gnawties being beavers -- animals that can swim -- is under explored. I think you can do more with Beaver enemies than rats. And they hit the Goomba enemy trope better than Kritters, who are perhaps too tall or may be best used for other functions.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I did not think of the politics until Planet Cool said this! I fully agree with them. Though, it would have something of a realistic (please do not burn me for saying "realistic") portrayal of how opposing factions exist regardless of having a common enemy.
But that has nothing to do with politics though. I was the one bringing up politics in the last page since me and CannonStreak CannonStreak were talking about the Kongs spraying graffiti in New Donk and the cops chasing after them being controlled by Khief K. Rool or politician K. Rool who wanted to make Pauline disappear so he could win the political race and become mayor. We brought up these ideas because of the graffiti conspect art in Odyssey that was shown online yesterday.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
But that has nothing to do with politics though. I was the one bringing up politics in the last page since me and CannonStreak CannonStreak were talking about the Kongs spraying graffiti in New Donk and the cops chasing after them being controlled by Khief K. Rool or politician K. Rool who wanted to make Pauline disappear so he could win the political race and become mayor. We brought up these ideas because of the graffiti conspect art in Odyssey that was shown online yesterday.
I meant the politics between two developers. As far as the New Donk City discussion is concerned, I did not even know exactly what you and SonicSmasher1 were talking about, other than hearing interesting words.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I meant the politics between two developers. As far as the New Donk City discussion is concerned, I did not even know exactly what you and SonicSmasher1 were talking about, other than hearing interesting words.
So me and CannonStreak CannonStreak were talking about the DK graffiti conspect art from Odyssey at first and than we talked about all the stuff I listed above in the last post since SonicSmasher brought up New Donk City police trying to arrest the Kongs.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I like the idea of turning the Tikis into the Shy Guys of the franchise which someone proposed earlier.

It would help expand DK's rogue gallery and at the same time not interfere with the role of the Kremlings as main enemies.
I still stand by Cjzero's idea (I think he said it) of the next DKC being a 3 way battle between the Kremlings, Tiki's, and Snowmads for DK Isle in the most comical way possible.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
So me and CannonStreak CannonStreak were talking about the DK graffiti conspect art from Odyssey at first and than we talked about all the stuff I listed above in the last post since SonicSmasher brought up New Donk City police trying to arrest the Kongs.
Understand, I have not the slightest inkling about Odyssey. It is just a name to me, so I do not even know if the police chase in the discussion really happened, or if you and SonicSmasher 1 were just having fun with a hypothetical idea.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I still stand by Cjzero's idea (I think he said it) of the next DKC being a 3 way battle between the Kremlings, Tiki's, and Snowmads for DK Isle in the most comical way possible.
More like it should be a fatal four way match between the Kongs, Kremlings, Tikis, amd Snowmads over DK Isle.

Understand, I have not the slightest inkling about Odyssey. It is just a name to me, so I do not even know if the police chase in the discussion really happened, or if you and SonicSmasher 1 were just having fun with a hypothetical idea.
Me and CannonStreak CannonStreak were just coming up with our own fun ideas.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It's one thing for the Tikis to stick around and another for them to join the Kremling army. I like Diddy Kong Diddy Kong 's idea of them being relegated to the Lost World. That would actually be very cool. You think now that the Krems are back, the Tikis are history and then, bam, there they are! Rare ideas and Retro ideas, living together, mass hysteria! Oh, maybe Tiki Tong gets a rematch in the Crocodile Core analogue!

Also, I have to vouch again for the forest totems. I love those. Tippin' Totems is one of my favorite levels of DKC Returns. They're as important a part of DK Island's forest as the rope bridges and Ewok houses (to me, anyway).

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Perhaps the best way to keep the peace, maintain the traditional villains, and satiate the desire of fans for a rich plot is to let there be a three way battle, as you said, for the island, with alternate storylines featuring Tiki, Kremling, and Snowmad 'upperhand' scenarios. All ,however, are beaten by the Kongs.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
So gentlemen, any cool ideas for K. Rool's potential next persona gimmick? I would like a Aztec gimmick like K. Roolzuma or a Egyptian gimmick like K. Roolramus or a samurai gimmick like K. Roolgun. A wrestling gimmick would be cool as well.
If the next game is being developed in Japan,I think a Samurai persona would be appropriate!
Also, having spent many of my days exploring the country, there are loads of beautiful places they could base levels on.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If the next game is being developed in Japan,I think a Samurai persona would be appropriate!
Also, having spent many of my days exploring the country, there are loads of beautiful places they could base levels on.
I would love to see levels based off of Yakushima and Hokkaido. Especially Yakushima for how unique of place it is:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
So gentlemen, any cool ideas for K. Rool's potential next persona gimmick? I would like a Aztec gimmick like K. Roolzuma or a Egyptian gimmick like K. Roolramus or a samurai gimmick like K. Roolgun. A wrestling gimmick would be cool as well.
What would you think of a chef design? It sounds strange, but perhaps it is finally time that he had a REAL reason for stealing our favorite ape's bananas... say, he could be trying to bake a gargantuan banana cream pie to entice a giant monster that he tries to use to devour the Kong island. Odd, but I tried.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
If you could bring back exactly ten Kremlings in the new DK game, which ones would you pick? Here are my choices:
  • Kritter
  • Klaptrap
  • Klump
  • Rock Kroc
  • Klobber
  • Kruncha
  • Re-Koil
  • Bazuka
  • Kopter
  • Koindozer

If you're wondering why I picked Kruncha instead of Krusha, it's because of Krusha's spiny mohawk. Something like that wouldn't fly in the more functional-minded modern DK games. You put spikes on something and the player assumes it's not safe to jump on. Krunchas don't have that problem. (EDIT: Then again, Big Sphens have mohawks too...)

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if he was just King K. Rool from now on. It's his most popular persona, and Nintendo probably wants to keep him easily recognizable for branding/marketing purposes.

If I had to pick something new, I'd probably make him... either a wizard or some kind of Ming the Merciless/Palpatine-style galactic conqueror. Imagine him building a Blast-O-Matic the size of the Death Star. Donkey Kong Country 6: The Krempire Strikes Back!

If they're going with a Japanese setting, they could make a silhouette level where you're running behind screen doors! Maybe only parts of the level are obscured, so you're constantly going from silhouette to non-silhouette.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What would you think of a chef design? It sounds strange, but perhaps it is finally time that he had a REAL reason for stealing our favorite ape's bananas... say, he could be trying to bake a gargantuan banana cream pie to entice a giant monster that he tries to use to devour the Kong island. Odd, but I tried.
A chef gimmick would be cool if done right.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
If you could bring back exactly ten Kremlings in the new DK game, which ones would you pick? Here are my choices:
  • Kritter
  • Klaptrap
  • Klump
I would select the first four identically. For the remaining six:

1. Krusha (sorry, he is simply too... original)
2. Klinger
3. Kan Kannon be Kounted with Klump?
4. Krook
5. Kackle
6. Kudgel/Klubba

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's one thing for the Tikis to stick around and another for them to join the Kremling army. I like Diddy Kong Diddy Kong 's idea of them being relegated to the Lost World. That would actually be very cool. You think now that the Krems are back, the Tikis are history and then, bam, there they are! Rare ideas and Retro ideas, living together, mass hysteria! Oh, maybe Tiki Tong gets a rematch in the Crocodile Core analogue!

Also, I have to vouch again for the forest totems. I love those. Tippin' Totems is one of my favorite levels of DKC Returns. They're as important a part of DK Island's forest as the rope bridges and Ewok houses (to me, anyway).
Oh I absolutely love this! I envisioned something exactly like this! Do we have some sort of psychic telepathic bond ? Because this is exactly my mental image.

They could similarly incorporate the Snowmads in a similar fashion, you know, make them actual nomads and attack you randomly from battleships, or make them inhabit Gorilla Glazier?

I think Nintendo working on Donkey Kong now might make all these things possible. I could even see them incorporate some of the Jungle Beat enemies as the evil Kongs. I'm not against certain Jungle Beat elements as the beat em up battles against bosses. Those where really cool.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
So i started to play the original Wii Version of DKCR. I beat DKCR on 3DS in both the Classic and Modern styles, and because my City is back at Phase 1, i guess i need to entertain myself somehow.

Retro's DKC games are great, but im sad that they don't use the RARE mythos as much as i would like. Maybe i should buy DKCTP on Switch later on (i already have it on Wii U, but i really don't use it nowadays)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Returns is probably the hardest DKC game for me to judge because there's always been some element which impeded the experience a bit. The waggle in the Wii version is annoying (making the decision to not allow traditional control more baffling in hindsight) and the 3DS version's default button layout with the d pad (which is what I prefer to use for Country games) isn't great and can't be changed. Its probably tied with Galaxy 2 as the Wii game I really wish was on Switch with standard controls and 60FPS.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Returns is probably the hardest DKC game for me to judge because there's always been some element which impeded the experience a bit. The waggle in the Wii version is annoying (making the decision to not allow traditional control more baffling in hindsight) and the 3DS version's default button layout with the d pad (which is what I prefer to use for Country games) isn't great and can't be changed. Its probably tied with Galaxy 2 as the Wii game I really wish was on Switch with standard controls and 60FPS.
I have some kind of feeling that this might actually happen. Maybe as a pre-release for the next upcoming DK title by Nintendo? But strangely enough, I see it as a likely scenario.

Anyway, I have a strong fondness of Returns because it being the one game that actually put DKC back on the map. A little. In hindsight it was just a nostalgic blast from the past, for nice profits. But there was real dedication shown in the game, and just like DKC, I appriciate it a lot for it being the first game in it's direction. DKC2 and Tropical Freeze obviously are better titles than DKC, and Returns, but that's because I feel they mastered the formula that was layed out with the game prior. That's why I am more critical of DKC3 here than most others... Because I felt they fell from the even more perfected formula that DKC2 left them.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I also thought of the idea of there being a three way battle amongst the Tikis, Snomads, and the Kremlings with the Kongs stuck in the middle of it all. Would be a cool way to merge RARE and Retro's games together. Speaking of merging, I saw this scrolling through twitter.

Basically, there might be more evidence that the next game could have a mixture of RARE and modern designs incorporated in the next game. Also, Smash has included stuff from future games like Luigi's Mansion 3 so the Blast o Matic and DK Island could comeback.

I also like to point on one little detail. Diddy's final smash has him take out a completely different jetpack, one that looks somewhat futuristic. Could it be from a new game? Will the Kongs go to space? Find out on the next Donkey Ball Z!

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think we could get a new DK themed Switch console along with the new game, and if so would you buy one?
With the rumours about a new 4K compatible version of the console on the horizon, I could see it being a possibility!
Personally, I'd only get it if it meant upgrading to new hardware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom