• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Maan, remembering Cranky being shown in GA really takes me back.
The virgin Byleth reveal salt vs the CHAD Cranky Kong reveal salt.

I admitedly remember being upset at Cranky's reveal when it happened 7 years ago..............i was a moron.

Im not sure why i was expecting a game reveal at a random game awards ceremony made by some random channel like Spike TV. You know, the same ones that aired Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon.

The sad thing is that said even also probably made haters of Tropical Freeze more vocal. "NOOOOOOOOO WHERE'S ZELDA U I WANT ZELDA TOO GET THIS MARIO CHARACTER OUT OF HERE NOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOO"

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The virgin Byleth reveal salt vs the CHAD Cranky Kong reveal salt.

I admitedly remember being upset at Cranky's reveal when it happened 7 years ago..............i was a moron.

Im not sure why i was expecting a game reveal at a random game awards ceremony made by some random channel like Spike TV. You know, the same ones that aired Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon.

The sad thing is that said even also probably made haters of Tropical Freeze more vocal. "NOOOOOOOOO WHERE'S ZELDA U I WANT ZELDA TOO GET THIS MARIO CHARACTER OUT OF HERE NOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOO"
What didn't help is Geoff Keighley basically going "Really? This is what the Metroid Prime developers wanna show us?" during the presentation.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The VGA's are awful in general. When you skip DKCTF twice (counting the port) from it's rightful nomination for "Best Family Game," "Best Music," "Best Sexiest Game," and most importantly "GotY", then it's hard to take your award show seriously.

Seriously, who even decides the nominations? Kremlings?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Reminds me of this one memetic video that I can't sadly find - I think it had Zelda masked to a clip of of DKC-cartoon where she got slammed out of the way by Cranky Kong with his "I'M GONNA BE A STAR"-bit from the very same song.

Funniest thing I had ever seen.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
He really did that? Wow, way to drop the ball Dorito Pope. That would never happen nowadays, dude's out there feigning excitement for freaking Fast & Furious.
Yeah. Honestly though, after rewatching it Geoff was far more cordial than I remember so it felt like a nudge and wasn't unprofessional. Here's the vid:
Basically starting at the 4:20 mark and a little at the very end. It was lighthearted in retrospect I suppose.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The VGA's are awful in general. When you skip DKCTF twice (counting the port) from it's rightful nomination for "Best Family Game," "Best Music," "Best Sexiest Game," and most importantly "GotY", then it's hard to take your award show seriously.

Seriously, who even decides the nominations? Kremlings?
As far as I know, it's an open poll.
You can go vote on it yourself, at least.

Speaking of which- the nominations come out today.

#AnimalCrossing is a clear winner in my eyes. It helped the world heal in a time of crisis.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Maybe? But what it doesn’t need is their joycon drift BS and making people keep paying for plastic that easily breaks.

Doom Eternal is goty for me easily. ACNH I got too but didn’t keep my attention for that long. Just felt subpar in terms of content, so I got bored.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Maybe? But what it doesn’t need is their joycon drift BS and making people keep paying for plastic that easily breaks.

Doom Eternal is goty for me easily. ACNH I got too but didn’t keep my attention for that long. Just felt subpar in terms of content, so I got bored.
Honestly, Joy Con drift aside, Nintendo's products break significantly less often than that of other companies.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Animal Crossing series isn't my thing, but there is no denying the positive effect it had on people during this Covid crisis. I too think it should be nominated for that reason alone. I'll probably get it once it goes on sale as a Nintendo Selects title.

Also, Doom Eternal is my GotY as well.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Honestly this year idk what my GOTY is tbh. Nothing grabbed me this year on any console. I have both a Switch and PS4. Not a huge Doom guy. I was going to get the Switch version of Eternal but it never released. Also the only other major PS4 releases this year that I remember were FF7 Remake and Last of Us Part 2. Neither of which interested me in the slightest.

Animal Crossing was cool for like the first month but the lack of content from previous entries, QOL features, and repetitive bland villager dialogue kept me from returning, which is a shame cause New Leaf and City Folk I played wayyy longer.

Origami King wasn't bad IMO but it was nothing spectacular either. It was a solid 7/10 game IMO.

Resident Evil 3 Remake. Another solid title but once again pales in comparison to both RE2 Remake and RE7 IMO. The game honestly felt rushed. Lacking content/areas from the original game. Game is only like 4 hours long. Lol Another 7/10 title.

Miles Moralis would probably be my GOTY tbh even if I barely played it. But since I loved the original Spidey PS4 game Im sure I will love this one just as much as its more or less more of the same from a gameplay perspective.

Age of Calamity as much as Im excited for it. Just cant be a GOTY IMO simply due to the fact that its a Warriors game. They get repetitive very quickly..

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly, Joy Con drift aside, Nintendo's products break significantly less often than that of other companies.
Joncon drift was their record breaker, and if this continues despite all the lawsuits and everything, they'll just keep losing goodwill from people.

Honestly this year idk what my GOTY is tbh. Nothing grabbed me this year on any console. I have both a Switch and PS4. Not a huge Doom guy. I was going to get the Switch version of Eternal but it never released. Also the only other major PS4 releases this year that I remember were FF7 Remake and Last of Us Part 2. Neither of which interested me in the slightest.

Animal Crossing was cool for like the first month but the lack of content from previous entries, QOL features, and repetitive bland villager dialogue kept me from returning, which is a shame cause New Leaf and City Folk I played wayyy longer.

Origami King wasn't bad IMO but it was nothing spectacular either. It was a solid 7/10 game IMO.

Resident Evil 3 Remake. Another solid title but once again pales in comparison to both RE2 Remake and RE7 IMO. The game honestly felt rushed. Lacking content/areas from the original game. Game is only like 4 hours long. Lol Another 7/10 title.

Miles Moralis would probably be my GOTY tbh even if I barely played it. But since I loved the original Spidey PS4 game Im sure I will love this one just as much as its more or less more of the same from a gameplay perspective.

Age of Calamity as much as Im excited for it. Just cant be a GOTY IMO simply due to the fact that its a Warriors game. They get repetitive very quickly..
The Switch version of Eternal has just kept getting delayed for reasons unknown, but otherwise yeah, I feel you far as this year. Even if covid wasn't a thing, I think 2020 would've been mostly the same far as releases. There hasn't been a lack of things to play, just not a lot of real notable games atm.

Pretty mad at myself now for getting the RE3 remake at full price. With how soon it was releasing after the RE2 one, I should've seen the signs that it would be rushed, but was too caught up in the hype & success of RE2R to have any suspicions at the time. What made it even worse was when they later said there would be no content updates for 3 like there was for 2, and the Resistance add-on which I wanted to like but couldn't (only really looked good on paper) may as well have been a separate game... A 7/10 is too generous for RE3R; it's half of a game. Whatever REmake we might get next, I'll wait to hear from word of mouth on the length and content before I consider picking up. They're not getting me like that again.

I barely recognize RE otherwise now with 7 and now 8. I get why 7 was liked for what it was, but if it didn't have RE slapped on the title, would you have known it was an RE game at first? Maybe the series is just losing its magic for me. I don't know, but the handling of RE3 which was originally one of my favorites killed so much goodwill for me, that I just feel I'm back in a Capcom resentment phase again.

And Nintendo just being Nintendo, with covid giving them an excuse to continue their usual silence. Sure, ACNH came at a good time for them with AC being exactly the kind of game needed for escapism from a pandemic, but any decent Nintendo game with good retention could've filled that role for me, tbqh.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Joncon drift was their record breaker, and if this continues despite all the lawsuits and everything, they'll just keep losing goodwill from people.
There are a lot of vocal people, but I think that's in part because of how out of the normal it is for Nintendo. Have you ever dropped a PS Vita...once? It's gone forever. Meanwhile, the Joycon was an innovation, literally creating HD rumble. Quite honestly, the two hands being separate revolutionized my comfort in gaming, personally. Technology has kinks. It happens.

And Nintendo just being Nintendo, with covid giving them an excuse to continue their usual silence. Sure, ACNH came at a good time for them with AC being exactly the kind of game needed for escapism from a pandemic, but any decent Nintendo game with good retention could've filled that role for me, tbqh.
It sounds like I'm beating ya down, but then again there are five negative paragraphs and points back to back.
Maybe you would have enjoyed another game in the wake of AC, but there were other Nintendo games with good retention, and they were not the same thing for the masses. The elected POTUS didnt advertise on other games. They weren't on comedy sketch shows.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There are a lot of vocal people, but I think that's in part because of how out of the normal it is for Nintendo.
That's the thing. If left unchecked, this could become the norm for Nintendo.

Have you ever dropped a PS Vita...once? It's gone forever. Meanwhile, the Joycon was an innovation, literally creating HD rumble. Quite honestly, the two hands being separate revolutionized my comfort in gaming, personally. Technology has kinks. It happens.
Any Nintendo hardware has usually been an innovation of some kind. I love the joycon too when it works as it's supposed to, but not seeing how any of that excuses the continuing drift problem which should not be downplayed.

It sounds like I'm beating ya down, but then again there are five negative paragraphs and points back to back.
Toxic positivity. It's okay to have negative opinion on things, and the RE3 remake was a genuine disappointment.
Maybe you would have enjoyed another game in the wake of AC, but there were other Nintendo games with good retention, and they were not the same thing for the masses. The elected POTUS didnt advertise on other games. They weren't on comedy sketch shows.
Being used as a platform for a political election doesn't automatically make something good. lol Not saying ACNH is awful either (unlike RE3R, it at least gets updates), but definitely is not game of the year material in my and many people's opinion. If that's your goty personally, then glad you got more out of it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's the thing. If left unchecked, this could become the norm for Nintendo.

Any Nintendo hardware has usually been an innovation of some kind. I love the joycon too when it works as it's supposed to, but not seeing how any of that excuses the continuing drift problem which should not be downplayed.
I just... don't think it's gone unchecked. There have been three class action lawsuits. It's been more than checked.

Being used as a platform for a political election doesn't automatically make something good. lol Not saying ACNH is awful either (unlike RE3R, it at least gets updates), but definitely is not game of the year material in my and many people's opinion. If that's your goty personally, then glad you got more out of it.
No, it isn't my favorite game of the year. But I think this is, perhaps the only year in my lifetime, that the impact of a single game actually provided substantiated necessity in a time of global crisis.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With DKC2's 25th anniversary this Saturday, I'm thinking I'll do a replay of it on my altered SNES Classic that day. I have been going through the DKC2 GBA version as of late, and while it is interesting there's too many little things that feel off to ever have me keep up a sustained playthrough.

My only lament is that I won't be able to have the DKC Soundtrack Restorations as an option when playing the former:

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, had pretty much said all I intended to say there. More on topic, am ready for DKC3 to be on NSO sooner than later. If it were to happen at all in the remainder of this year, I think it would have to be this month, but sometime early next year would be fine too I guess. Even before NSO, the first two games were more recent in my mind through previous replaying, but 3’s magic will still be fresh for me in comparison.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If I had to remaster Donkey Kong 64, I would add in Dixie as a new character as well give both Crystal Caves and Fungi Forest new bosses instead of a rematch with Army Dillo and Dogadon.
I gotta be honest with you, I really liked those rematches. Personally I'd replace King Kut Out with a new boss, but I know he was bad on purpose and Rare saying "look, we ran out of budget but we don't care!" which made it funny.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I gotta be honest with you, I really liked those rematches. Personally I'd replace King Kut Out with a new boss, but I know he was bad on purpose and Rare saying "look, we ran out of budget but we don't care!" which made it funny.
I would go with a ghostly Kremling knight who has an Excalibur sword that rides around on a spooky skeletal horse as the boss of Creepy Castle.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If anything the rematch battles should stay but the original fights should be cut/replaced. Anyway King Kut Out is still one of my favorite bosses in gaming. The idea is just so stupid, meta, and hilarious that its actually kinda genius.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I hope that rom hackers will get an interest in DK64 at some point; while the mod to access the tag barrel at anyone point is cool, a modified version with Dixie and Kiddy in addition to (or replacing Tiny/Chunky) would be pretty interesting to see.
Going off Mamboo's remaster idea, it would be cool if it got a remaster and added Dixie (and....Kiddy), made 2 extra stages that catered to those 2 Kongs thus giving us 2 more bosses, and added all those other QOL features like switching on the go. I'd keep Tiny and Chunky though since it means the team would have to come up with new mechanics for Dixie and especially Kiddy. They're not on Lanky's level of popularity, but personally I think they were solid additions; Tiny's size schtick is unique to her and now I see it as something Dixie shouldn't try. Plus, Chunky's much cooler than his bro so I'd rather he stay lol.
If anything the rematch battles should stay but the original fights should be cut/replaced. Anyway King Kut Out is still one of my favorite bosses in gaming. The idea is just so stupid, meta, and hilarious that its actually kinda genius.
I agree; the rematches are so much better that they make the 1st fights look bad. That would be fine if the original ones were replaced. That way we get 4 potentially great bosses lol

EDIT: Also yeah, King Kut Out had me lol pretty hard. Normally, I'd be rolling my eyes but they pulled it off well so I'm not even mad

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Happy Birthday Dixie!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Banjo Tooie was also released today, so it seems a popular birthday for Rare Sequels!

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Does DKC2 turn 25 today? I thought it came out the 21st.

Either way, I'm hype! I can't wait to celebrate the anniversary of one of my favorite games.
Japan beat us by a day as it released first over there. We'll celebrate it today and tomorrow lol
Happy Birthday Dixie!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Banjo Tooie was also released today, so it seems a popular birthday for Rare Sequels!
I really didn't know that. I loved Banjo-Tooie far more than the original. It felt like a living setting for its time

Top Bottom