• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Your pictures is amazing as usual though I wonder what made you decide to redesign Berri (unlike what happened with Tiny, I never really had much issue regarding her appearance giving the context of the game she appears in) it's still cute, like a mix of her prototype look and her latest design.
Thanks! I guess I felt like she would feel out of place among the rest of the characters. Especially with Candy and Tiny getting redesigns, having this giant humanoid squirrel felt odd lol. I agree she definitely works in Conker's game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with L is real finally coming true and all this other beta content and source codes getting dumped, imagine when they start digging into the Wii stuff they find models, renders, and voice clips of Dixie Kong and the rest of the Forbidden 7 in a earlier build of Brawl.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So with L is real finally coming true and all this other beta content and source codes getting dumped, imagine when they start digging into the Wii stuff they find models, renders, and voice clips of Dixie Kong and the rest of the Forbidden 7 in a earlier build of Brawl.
I'm really hoping there's some beta/early build content from the DKC titles in an eventual leak. Granted that was largely Rare's work, but given there's been Castlevania 4 content found, who knows what else might be there?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'm really hoping there's some beta/early build content from the DKC titles in an eventual leak. Granted that was largely Rare's work, but given there's been Castlevania 4 content found, who knows what else might be there?
An early design of Dixie? Diddy was supposed to be DK Jr. but is there some story about how they came with Dixie's design. That would be interesting to see.
Also. Kiddy's early designs just for the reactions to something we won't be able to unsee.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Rare's been more open lately about sharing their older dev assets publicly, notably posting a lot of DKC/2 concept art on Twitter. I could almost see them releasing some of that stuff themselves.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Been playing through DKC on virtual console. It's really one of those games that takes me back, even if I never owned it myself.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the Super Donkey game that leaked last week, it makes me wonder if that claim with Miyamoto disliking DKC is valid, even though it was said to be mistranslated or misinterpreted. I will say that DKC's current position is the result of Nintendo not having a stake in it the way they do with Mario and Zelda. Donkey Kong, yes. Donkey Kong Country, not so much. Compare Jungle Beat to Donkey Kong Country 1 alone and you can see why there hasn't been much from the series outside of Returns and Tropical Freeze.

Super Donkey is a bizarre oddity, it became Yoshi's Island which was also said to be a response to DKC's hyper realistic graphics from that same blurb from The Ultimate History of Games magazine. This was always speculative, but Super Donkey may indirectly confirm how Miyamoto felt about Yoshi's Island and his statement on DKC.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Looking at the Super Donkey game that leaked last week, it makes me wonder if that claim with Miyamoto disliking DKC is valid, even though it was said to be mistranslated or misinterpreted. I will say that DKC's current position is the result of Nintendo not having a stake in it the way they do with Mario and Zelda. Donkey Kong, yes. Donkey Kong Country, not so much. Compare Jungle Beat to Donkey Kong Country 1 alone and you can see why there hasn't been much from the series outside of Returns and Tropical Freeze.

Super Donkey is a bizarre oddity, it became Yoshi's Island which was also said to be a response to DKC's hyper realistic graphics from that same blurb from The Ultimate History of Games magazine. This was always speculative, but Super Donkey may indirectly confirm how Miyamoto felt about Yoshi's Island and his statement on DKC.
At the very least it demonstrates how much Country's direction was something Nintendo was not likely to have ever done without Rare. Assuming Super Donkey was in fact intended to be the next entry in the franchise shows how much the mindset was still very much in league with that of stuff like DK 94 and eventually Mario vs DK. A more cartoony tone, Donkey Kong as the likely antagonist as opposed to the hero, and less of an emphasis on the kinetic platforming that eventually ended up defining it.

It might be my own cynical DKC fanboyism at work, but a lot of the franchise's output in the aughts reads like Nintendo believing they could repurpose it for gimmicks like the Bongo controller before the lack of significant sales or critical acclaim eventually led to a revival of its Country roots. The best selling game during the entire decade was the GBA port of the first Country, which tells you the kind of success the mainline titles had. It might be a stretch to say the company never understood the IP's value, but it is telling that its most significant successes since November 1994 have been at the hands of Western developers like Rare and Retro.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Xenoblade has grown on me though after playing the remake of the first game. I would even like Monolith working on a Donkey Kong game. They're good at making open worlds with great environments, and they even helped with Breath of the Wild. Why not with a DKC game ?

This Super Donkey game came as a surprise though. Never would I have guessed Nintendo would go in with DK like that. I think Mario Vs Donkey Kong would have been the direction Nintendo would drift DK towards without Rare and Country. Guess I was wrong. DK94 also released before DKC did.

Anyway, this drought of games isn't good. I was really hoping for Nintendo to re-establish DKC as one of their main franchises after DKC Returns, but I was awfully wrong there.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Anyway, this drought of games isn't good. I was really hoping for Nintendo to re-establish DKC as one of their main franchises after DKC Returns, but I was awfully wrong there.
The DK situation is a bit odd because as far as making it a significant franchise, they both have and haven't.

In terms of numbers, they have released 4 games on 4 different systems in the last 10 years which is a pretty solid record. The issue of course is that two of those titles were remakes of previous ones, meaning that in terms of new content its really been a pair of games in the last decade. While I don't think there's any one reason for it, there's a couple of factors that explain it a bit.

Part of it comes from an earlier pattern I've noted of Nintendo being less willing to release similar types of first party games alongside each other. The 2D platformer is a bit more lax in that regard, but its worth noting that every recent DK release came out in a year that a NSMB or Mario Maker game wasn't coming out (2010, 2013, 2014, 2018). Could be a coincidence, however it suggests to me that the company is not keen on having the genre compete with itself. That right there might have slowed down some of the potential production of further DK games at certain points.

There's also the factor that in an odd way, the two Country titles were a victim of their own quality. Returns was a lauded game whose biggest weakness was the motion controls, and Tropical Freeze was even more acclaimed release that suffered for being a Wii-U title with lackluster promotion. With those facts in mind, there is a clear logic to porting them to systems where the controversial controls weren't a factor and/or that had financial momentum to them. Its a wholly intelligent move to save money on development with the downside only really being for the fan (that we're getting less DK games overall).

One can't also forget that Retro was the go to developer for further games and was apparently heavily occupied with some kind of project/s after Tropical Freeze, so much so that not even rumors of another DK game even seemed to emerge. With them being the best possible team to make the mainline games, if they couldn't do it, its not that hard to imagine Nintendo believing that no one else could.

Finally, any titles beyond mainline games were less likely because of timing. The last decade has seen a lot of side-games (outside of the big three of Zelda/Mario/Pokemon) gradually fall by the wayside or end up fairly lackluster. Kirby was a bit of an exception, but even its fallen into free to play games in the last couple of years. The Wii-U era attempts at such resulted in titles either disliked (Amiibo Festival, Federation Force, Chibi Robo Zipline) or outright forgotten (Hey Pikmin, Mario vs DK Tipping Stars). Between the costs of HD development and the inability for Nintendo to get much momentum for their mid-level franchise spin-offs, DKC the last decade ended up being IP both simultaneously ideal for building on and not practical for expanding.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Xenoblade has grown on me though after playing the remake of the first game. I would even like Monolith working on a Donkey Kong game. They're good at making open worlds with great environments, and they even helped with Breath of the Wild. Why not with a DKC game ?
The Donkey Kong vs Territorial Rotbart crossover I never knew I needed.

Another of my ideas for Donkey Kong spin offs was that if Alpha Dream ran out of ideas for Mario they could have made a Donkey Kong RPG. We have so many Kongs with special abilities, pair that with the world exploration tied with abilities that Alphadream loves so much, and it seems a no brainer.... until that happened.... now I'm sad.

The failure of the Donkey Kong spin offs during the 2000s probably scared Nintendo from ever trying to do anything but a platformer with the IP anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Donkey Kong vs Territorial Rotbart crossover I never knew I needed.

Another of my ideas for Donkey Kong spin offs was that if Alpha Dream ran out of ideas for Mario they could have made a Donkey Kong RPG. We have so many Kongs with special abilities, pair that with the world exploration tied with abilities that Alphadream loves so much, and it seems a no brainer.... until that happened.... now I'm sad.

The failure of the Donkey Kong spin offs during the 2000s probably scared Nintendo from ever trying to do anything but a platformer with the IP anyway.
Even the most territorial of the Territorial Rotbarts wouldn't stand a chance Vs the DK Crew! And you know it.

Alpha Dream is unfortunately bankrupt. It's a shame, I loved their RPGs. And yes Donkey Kong would suit their style well. I was hoping for a DKC RPG by them ever since Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. But alas. This won't happen now...

I don't think the spin offs of Donkey Kong completely failed. I love the PAON games, except Barrel Blast, never played that, but Jungle Climber is golden, whilst King of Swing is also a cute game. The Konga games are probably a good reason not to expect this again yeah.... Which sucks.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
So, what are the chances we see any of the unused Dixie assets for Brawl now that all these leaks are happening?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, what are the chances we see any of the unused Dixie assets for Brawl now that all these leaks are happening?
I would say chances are decent we will see Dixie's assets as well assets from the rest of the Forbidden 7. I'm actually more curious to know who "pra-mai" is even though it has been speculated to just be Minus & Plusle. We don't really know for sure who it is though.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Some days I wake up and just happen to scream,

"HOW IS DIXIE KONG NOT YET PLAYABLE IN SMASH!?"
For the love of Satan please be a fighters pass bonus.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
I agree she needs to be in this game.

I remember when Sakurai announced that the 2nd fighter’s pass would have 6 characters, he said something like he wanted this game to really feel like the Ultimate game.

it sounded like he wanted to please fans with previously requested characters. That is why I strongly believe Geno, Rex and Dixie all have a good shot since they were all considered at one point.

Here’s hoping.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Sometimes I think about the fact that there are five brand-new characters planned for Smash and we have no idea who any of them are yet. It could be just about anyone.

How likely is it that Dixie Kong is one of these characters? Hard to say. But it's definitely possible.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sometimes I think about the fact that there are 83 characters in a Smash Bros game and not a single one of them is Dixie Kong. Everytime I see one of those "imagine seeing this roster 10 years ago posts", I always would think the me of 10 years ago would be saying how in the living **** is Dixie Kong not a part of this roster?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How likely is it that Dixie Kong is one of these characters? Hard to say. But it's definitely possible.
Her chances really are 50% as it's up in the air whether or not if they would consider her for this game. Nintendo and Sakurai's priorities might be too focus on bigger fan requests or other characters they see would be more profitable to promote for other games Nintendo would be more interested pushing advertisement for.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
It seems Alex Hirsch, the creator of Gravity Falls, is a fan of DKC!

Can't wait to watch his new DKC show on Netflix. :troll:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Lol What!? Thats awesome. Such a random post from a hollywood guy but its awesome. But he doesn't need to be out here disrespecting the Kremlings and our glorious Kremling King like that. Yeah K.Rool is kind of a Kong racist but according to that Banjo trailer he has at least made truths with DK & Diddy.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Lol What!? Thats awesome. Such a random post from a hollywood guy but its awesome. But he doesn't need to be out here disrespecting the Kremlings and our glorious Kremling King like that. Yeah K.Rool is kind of a Kong racist but according to that Banjo trailer he has at least made truths with DK & Diddy.
Yeah and everything was fine and dandy until Banjo was a JERK and pushed K Rool off a cliif.

Now K Rool's probably going to be upset about that and become a villain again, and we'll have to face off with him in a brand new DKC game on the Switch.

You know...that will totally happen and totally be awesome and stuff...

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure DK and DIddy knocked K. Rool unconscious. They felt sorry for him and, from the goodness of their hearts, brought him to their place. K. Rool was just waking up when the jiggy passed by and was just as curious as the Kongs were. When he saw Banjo and Kazooie, he was snapping at them. He was excited alright. Excited to beat them up.

I was thinking if they do another trailer like this, Banjo and Kazooie will be in K. Rool's place in the house, perhaps with Banjo on a bed and Kazooie hung up on the coat hanger. They hear a loud thump, this time DK, Diddy, Banjo, and Kazooie get near the window to check it out. Dixie's silhouette is seen which turns out to be K. Rool dressed as Dixie. K. Rool takes revenge and kidnaps them. Suddenly a gust of air grabs the King's attention and BAM... Dixie slaps the **** out of K. Rool with her hair and saves our fellow RARE heroes. They become enthusiastic, Diddy has heart-shaped eyes, yadda yadda. She's in!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I just thought of a possible trailer too.

I liked the shadow fake outs at first. But I think at a third time it would get old.
I imagine that in the next trailer of this DK house plot. K. Rool gets out of the rock (Looking like a skeleton at first, then he shakes like an old cartoon and goes back to normal). He gets very mad and kidnaps DK and Banjo while they are all sleeping in the DK house.
Cut to the inside of the Blast-O-Matic with K. Rool trying to blow up the entire island this time. With DK and Banjo tied and hanging to the ceiling. Kazooie trapped inside the secured bagpack begging to be freed and Diddy in the ground completely beat up with cannonballs stacked on the ground.
When K. Rool is about to push the button a gumball shot reaches his hand and doesn't let him press it, the gum also covers the button. You see a shadow flying around, slowly descending and then she lands close to Diddy and helps him to stand up. DIXIE TWIRLS IN!!

*Gameplay footage*

DK and Banjo get released, they all look angry and beat K. Rool to the point he is blasted outside of the Blast-O-Matic's ceilling and lands in the water where the sharks go for him.

Diddy and Dixie look happy to be reunited and Banjo and Kazooie hold a crocodile skull they found, they show it to the DK crew and they all laugh, then Dixie launches the skull far away with her ponytail.

Cut to the Smash logo.

K. Rool reaches the beach when the skull lands on his head and he gets knocked out.

The End.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Am I having Deja Vu? They already tweeted this around DKC's release on NSO. If I'm not going crazy, the fact they tweeted this again seems to show Nintendo is seriously pushing this series. Something coming soon perhaps?

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Am I having Deja Vu? They already tweeted this around DKC's release on NSO. If I'm not going crazy, the fact they tweeted this again seems to show Nintendo is seriously pushing this series. Something coming soon perhaps?
I think they only posted it on youtube before.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
It sure does feel like we'll be getting some DK news soon. I feels it in my guts!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Almost had a heart attack when I saw this on my feed........

Their has been a lot of DK talk/promotion from Nintendo lately. I am becoming a bit hopeful for a new game soon (or any new 1st party game soon..sheesh). That being said Im glad Nintendo acknowledges that the last DKC release was 2014 and not trying to act like TF came out in 2018 and trying to act like it was a fully brand new game. Kinda tells me that they feel a port for DK alone on Switch aint good enough like it apparently was for the 3DS.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Indeed that was posted 2 weeks ago in the Youtube Community. Except that time it was to promote the DKC1 release on Nintendo Switch Online.
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgzVlvKr7D0JAslgyf54AaABCQ

I would like to have pics like that for Diddy and Dixie when DKC2 and 3 come out in NSO. Even tho, we already got a video describing Dixie's history (Even if they got Diddy Kong Racing DS's release date wrong LMAO).

I don't think Nintendo's posts on Twitter mean much sadly, lately they have been posting glorious Dunban memes so I don't think they have much to say with this drought and they are just re-using the artwork to get people to buy Tropical Freeze (Which they would if you at least drop the price to $40 Nintendo).
I wish we could get some news soon, even if it is some spin off. 6 years of nothing is starting to get on my nerves.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Unpopular opinion: The Donkey Kong game in Nintendo Land was one of my favorite in that game.
I also quite loved NintendoLand, and wish it was a prepackaged series with every new system.
Familiarize users with both the new system, and promoted Nintendo IPs.

Top Bottom