• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Happy DKC release day on NSO!

So eager to get to home and replay it again. Also, to test if they actually gave it online, because a full playthrough of 2-Player contest is one of my frustrated childhood dreams.

EDIT: Game competed once again. I don't know what happened to me in this playthrough. Every time something was supposed to kill me I avoided it like a Ninja. Was it the Pro Controller D-Pad accidentally saving me?

Anyway. I tested the online function. And indeed, you can play online with one more person in both Contest and Team mode.
A friend helped me to test it. But he quitted as soon as I started to leave him behind T__T

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I don't remember if this was brought up before, but does anyone have a headcanon for why Tiny looks older than Dixie? We know the real reason: Nintendo changed her so she could take Banjo's place in Diddy Kong Racing, but what in-universe explanations can we come up with?

Personally my headcanon is that Cranky's potions not only allowed her to shrink at will, but it also sped up her growth as a side effect. As a Mad Scientist, Cranky's potions led to some unintended consequences.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't remember if this was brought up before, but does anyone have a headcanon for why Tiny looks older than Dixie? We know the real reason: Nintendo changed her so she could take Banjo's place in Diddy Kong Racing, but what in-universe explanations can we come up with?

Personally my headcanon is that Cranky's potions not only allowed her to shrink at will, but it also sped up her growth as a side effect. As a Mad Scientist, Cranky's potions led to some unintended consequences.
My head-canon is that that particular design of Tiny doesn't actually exist. Thankfully Smash Ultimate agrees with me!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Maybe this might have even more awful consequences than we let on with certain Kongs... :drohmy:

1594913139792.png

Inb4 Cranky will adopt "No Potions!"-mantra from that time on.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Maybe this might have even more awful consequences than we let on with certain Kongs... :drohmy:

View attachment 278696

Inb4 Cranky will adopt "No Potions!"-mantra from that time on.
His growth potions could've made certain organs, like Chunky's heart or lungs not scale properly when returning to normal. Gruesome way to go...

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252

I've been going under the assumption that Diddy and Dixie simply don't appear to age. They're actually in their 40s by now.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Playing through Donkey Kong Country again made me realize something. If Dixie Kong became playable in Ultimate, it would be the first time she would be able to fight King K. Rool as his original self. She fought Kaptain and Baron, but she never saw him as a King in the main series as she was absent in DKC and DK64, while K. Rool was absent in Tropical Freeze. It would be cool to see Dixie finally fight King K. Rool in his DKC1 appearance.

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
Saw this image this morning. The attention for the DK franchise is really suspicious. I know it's related to the release of the first DK on Nintendo Switch Online, but I really think something will happen soon.
Dixie and Funky in Mario Kart Tour, the tweet of Nintendo America to celebrate the addition of Dixie in MK Tour, the release of DKC on NSO... don't you think that this attention for the DK franchise is strange?
If we get a direct and the announcement of a new DK with Dixie in it that will be a huuge step forward for Dixie.
P.S I'm starting to think that a tag team Dixie/Kiddy would be more likely than a solo Dixie

Attachments

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Dixie + Kiddy pair up would represent DKC better than both DK and Diddy’s moveset. K. Rool’s does but from a villains perspective.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I prefer Dixie solo, but if Kiddy is the Luma to Dixie's Rosalina, or Kiddy's the Pikmin to Dixie's Olimar, I'll be content. Basically Dixie needs to be the emphasis.

They might throw us a curveball and pair Dixie and Funky, Tropical Freeze style

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I prefer Dixie solo, but if Kiddy is the Luma to Dixie's Rosalina, or Kiddy's the Pikmin to Dixie's Olimar, I'll be content. Basically Dixie needs to be the emphasis.

They might throw us a curveball and pair Dixie and Funky, Tropical Freeze style
My absolute dream is to have Dixie and Kiddy act somewhat like the Ice Climbers, except you can tag between them with down B.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Playing through Donkey Kong Country again made me realize something. If Dixie Kong became playable in Ultimate, it would be the first time she would be able to fight King K. Rool as his original self. She fought Kaptain and Baron, but she never saw him as a King in the main series as she was absent in DKC and DK64, while K. Rool was absent in Tropical Freeze. It would be cool to see Dixie finally fight King K. Rool in his DKC1 appearance.
:ultkrool: You took everything from me, twice!!
SSBUDixieSmall.png
I don't even know who you are.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
How about the Dixie + Tiny combo? Outside of Diddy Kong Racing DS and Mario Super Sluggers we have never seen the sisters in the same game let alone working together/interacting. Much rather see Sakurai (if Dixie needs a partner at all) create something new by letting the sisters play off each other than bringing back the worst Kong nobody likes (Kiddy) or wasting Funky as a sidekick to Dixie (I believe Funky could make a unique character on his own). Plus Im just a sucker for sister team-ups.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I also disagree that Dixie Kong should team up with another character in her moveset. To me, Dixie Kong is representative of the first playable character outside of DKC1, as well as the fact that she is a strong female protagonist and the lead of her own game in DKC3. I feel like making her pair up with another character would take away from her identify a bit, as it would make her seem lesser than Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, even though that’s far from the truth. Dixie Kong is as equally playable as they are, and she definitely has the material to make a full moveset out of, regardless if she’s unique or a semi-clone.

Characters like Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt, and Banjo & Kazooie are paired up because it’s a part of their identities. Popo and Nana may not be played as a pair in Ice Climbers, but they do in Smash because it would be unfair to exclude either of the only playable characters in the game. Rosalina is the guardian of the Lumas, the dog and duck together make up the idenity of Duck Hunt, and Banjo & Kazooie’s whole character concept is that they always work together.

While having Dixie Kong team up with Kiddy Kong would make sense in a similar way, it would be like saying that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong should also be a tag-team character. At this point, it would just feel wrong to me for Dixie Kong to team up with another character when Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong don’t. For similar reasons, I also feel like Dixie Kong wouldn’t work as an echo fighter. Dixie Kong has unique animations and characteristics from Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, so I don’t see why she would get lesser treatment in Smash if she doesn’t in her home series.

Overall, if Dixie Kong is added into Smash, I feel like she should be added solely for her merits alone. She can bring a lot to the game on her own, and represent great games in DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze. I’m okay with her being a semi-clone, but I do feel like she has enough to work with as a unique fighter without teaming up with any other Kong. Other Kongs like Kiddy or Tiny would be interesting, but I feel like their only main series appearances in DKC3 and DK64 respectively kind of hurts them representing the Donkey Kong franchise as a whole, considering that Dixie Kong by herself is a major reoccurring character in comparison.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Solo Unique Dixie is my dream, but to each their own
I wouldn't mind if she was solo at all. But my love for DKC3 will always drive me to want them as a duo.

I also disagree that Dixie Kong should team up with another character in her moveset. To me, Dixie Kong is representative of the first playable character outside of DKC1, as well as the fact that she is a strong female protagonist and the lead of her own game in DKC3. I feel like making her pair up with another character would take away from her identify a bit, as it would make her seem lesser than Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, even though that’s far from the truth. Dixie Kong is as equally playable as they are, and she definitely has the material to make a full moveset out of, regardless if she’s unique or a semi-clone.

Characters like Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt, and Banjo & Kazooie are paired up because it’s a part of their identities. Popo and Nana may not be played as a pair in Ice Climbers, but they do in Smash because it would be unfair to exclude either of the only playable characters in the game. Rosalina is the guardian of the Lumas, the dog and duck together make up the idenity of Duck Hunt, and Banjo & Kazooie’s whole character concept is that they always work together.

While having Dixie Kong team up with Kiddy Kong would make sense in a similar way, it would be like saying that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong should also be a tag-team character. At this point, it would just feel wrong to me for Dixie Kong to team up with another character when Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong don’t. For similar reasons, I also feel like Dixie Kong wouldn’t work as an echo fighter. Dixie Kong has unique animations and characteristics from Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, so I don’t see why she would get lesser treatment in Smash if she doesn’t in her home series.

Overall, if Dixie Kong is added into Smash, I feel like she should be added solely for her merits alone. She can bring a lot to the game on her own, and represent great games in DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze. I’m okay with her being a semi-clone, but I do feel like she has enough to work with as a unique fighter without teaming up with any other Kong. Other Kongs like Kiddy or Tiny would be interesting, but I feel like their only main series appearances in DKC3 and DK64 respectively kind of hurts them representing the Donkey Kong franchise as a whole, considering that Dixie Kong by herself is a major reoccurring character in comparison.
It's not like there's no reason for her to be a duo character. There's no other duo character where you actively can tag between the two characters so it'd be a unique hook (since all the DLC so far has some kind of unique gimmick). Which I would say is in line with the Duck Hunt Duo and Rosalina & Luma, since those characters took some creative liberties with the source material in order to make them work as duos.

I totally understand wanting her individually, though. She can stand on her own perfectly fine. At the very least I'd like Kiddy to be apart of her final smash (perhaps as an animal buddy stampede with Kiddy riding Ellie -- mirroring the end of the Donkey Kong Racing trailer).

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its also worth noting that DKC3 (and its variations/ports in DKL3 and the GBA release) is the only time Dixie has ever been paired up with Kiddy. In all her other playable appearances she's basically solo or with Donkey Kong in Tropical Freeze. Kiddy (whose appearance in Ultimate as a spirit is the first time he's been seen in any game in decades) may be known by his association with Dixie, but she is in no way defined by a dynamic with him.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Kiddy being the luma is a good way to put it. Though I think he should be more limited than that, like Zelda's phantom. I think it would be a mistake to make them equal partners.

Thematically, it seems inappropriate since Dixie is the bigger character (even though Kiddy is humongous) and DKC3 isn't all there is to Dixie. I think DKC2 actually defines Dixie more. And just in terms of having fun, I think they would feel like too much of a disjointed character if they were a full on tagteam.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Banjo & Kazooie’s whole character concept is that they always work together.
Imagine if Banjo was a solo character in this game. He would be invincible by hiding in this bagpack.

The Dixie and Kiddy thing. Let's be real, they can pair her up with anyone if they wanted, but if they ever put Dixie in a tag team, it's going to be Kiddy by mere legacy asociation. :ultdiddy: is already in the game, with :ultdk: she was more of a power up than anything else (So adding her would be an update to change DK's Up B?) and Funky is kind of a huuuuge stretch.

I think it's just preference towards your love of DKC3. As long as Dixie has her own moveset and she can do everything she's supposed to, I don't mind her being paired with Kiddy, he would be an extra DK character, even if he was just a mini-derivate of DK. I never got the hate towards him, is it his face, his toes, his dying animation? Well, if he annoys you too much, the positive side is that you can use him as a punching bag or kill him with desync.

But solo Dixie is also my top preference because I kinda dislike that she wouldn't be able to kill easily on her own. if you try to solo main :ultsquirtle: you will know what I mean.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In fairness, didn't Sakurai make use of some of his older ideas sooner or later? To wit...

- Sukapon was going to be an item before ATs were a thing.
- Ditto wasn't implemented as a Pokéball summon until now, due to the programming needed for it to work.
- Final Smashes were intended to be included from the start.
- WOL's plot is similar to his initial pitch for SSE.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the scrapped Diddy/Dixie tag mechanic from Brawl days ended up being brought back for Kiddy, should Dixie become playable.

That, and Kiddy is in Dixie's spirit upgrade.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly the apathy towards Kiddy always made sense to me. Not only was he replacing a fairly popular character in Diddy (with not much interesting to offer as a result), but his role as the bigger physical Kong in contrast to Dixie could have easily been filled by Donkey Kong. Throw in the fact that he's a baby in footie pajamas, you basically have a character that didn't really appeal to a great deal of the fanbase.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Just had a dream Kiddy Kong was revealed, and Sakurai somehow made him even uglier than before. He even promoted it as his primary features. On one hand, I was excited they were giving DK more attention. On the other hand, it wasn't FLIPPING DIXIE KONG! Jon from GameXplain's reaction made it worth it though, "No! NOOOOO! DEAR GOD!"

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Honestly the apathy towards Kiddy always made sense to me. Not only was he replacing a fairly popular character in Diddy (with not much interesting to offer as a result), but his role as the bigger physical Kong in contrast to Dixie could have easily been filled by Donkey Kong. Throw in the fact that he's a baby in footie pajamas, you basically have a character that didn't really appeal to a great deal of the fanbase.
That makes sense, I also remembered as a kid that I wished it was DK the one who was accompaning Dixie. But it that would have happened, we wouldn't have had a game starring Dixie Kong. She would have been overshadowed by DK.
But also I think that kind of negative mentality towards a character tends to dissapear with time, specially in 20 years when everyone learned to appreciate his game for what it was. You don't see Raiden and Metal Gear Solid 2 being hated on now like it was on release for example. So I don't think many people would oppose or react negatively to an hypotetical Kiddy reveal.... as long as Dixie is with him. I would riot if Dixie was not the next DK character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh God..that reminds me even more of Brentalfloss's DK Rap.
"Bad guys stole your banana hoard and you really got to boogaloo! Got get them back! Got to get on track, it's on like you know who! Oh, riding jungles, mountains, caves, and the world's worst maintained mine! Come on beat your chest on a fruit based quest and we'll have a real good time!"

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm playing DKCR finally for the first time since it came out on the Wii 10 years ago, this time on the 3DS. Man, after playing Tropical Freeze and Impossible Lair, the music in this game is a major downgrade. I hope David Wise comes back for the next game. If he's too busy, then bring in the new Playtonic guys to do some tunes.

Also, not playing as Diddy Kong still flipping sucks. It was like Nintendo was still in a "**** RARE's DKC games" phase when they made this. Of course, I don't mind the big ape being the primary focus because he should, but couldn't they find a better way to do that then to demote Diddy (and later Dixie and Cranky) as glorified power ups? Playing them after you beat the game doesn't feel like a reward either since your forced play them solo on hard mode. I want to see the character interactions not just with DK. Diddy and Dixie are just as an iconic duo as DK and Diddy, and I really hope they find a way to marry both the buddy and tag team system for the next game.

For all the gripes I have for Retro's first outing, along with lack of Kremlings and the other animal buddies, this game is still a blast to play after all these years. Retro took what we love about the gameplay, and gave it a hyperactive cinematic edge to it which is something you didn't see much back in the day in a 2D platformer. It really put Nintendo's own 2D efforts to shame.

I also found a K. Rool amiibo which will totally be compatible for the upcoming DK game that will inevitably come.

Yep... Any day now...

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I'm playing DKCR finally for the first time since it came out on the Wii 10 years ago, this time on the 3DS. Man, after playing Tropical Freeze and Impossible Lair, the music in this game is a major downgrade. I hope David Wise comes back for the next game. If he's too busy, then bring in the new Playtonic guys to do some tunes.

Also, not playing as Diddy Kong still flipping sucks. It was like Nintendo was still in a "**** RARE's DKC games" phase when they made this. Of course, I don't mind the big ape being the primary focus because he should, but couldn't they find a better way to do that then to demote Diddy (and later Dixie and Cranky) as glorified power ups? Playing them after you beat the game doesn't feel like a reward either since your forced play them solo on hard mode. I want to see the character interactions not just with DK. Diddy and Dixie are just as an iconic duo as DK and Diddy, and I really hope they find a way to marry both the buddy and tag team system for the next game.

For all the gripes I have for Retro's first outing, along with lack of Kremlings and the other animal buddies, this game is still a blast to play after all these years. Retro took what we love about the gameplay, and gave it a hyperactive cinematic edge to it which is something you didn't see much back in the day in a 2D platformer. It really put Nintendo's own 2D efforts to shame.

I also found a K. Rool amiibo which will totally be compatible for the upcoming DK game that will inevitably come.

Yep... Any day now...
I kinda agree with that music opinion on DKcR, it's alright but there's way too many songs remixed from Dkc1(hardly any new tracks aside from the last world stages). Also yes I really would prefer the way the characters were handled in the SNES trilogy as well.
As I mentioned before I'm cool with DK but I love using secondary/sidekick characters as well and it would actually highlight the others as playable characters as apose to power ups. There also needs to be some rebalancing of the characters, DK should be able to do more on his own, Diddy needs an advantage over the other two so everyone would be pretty even.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Like the original trilogy, I think they should focus on DK's strength like killing enemies in one hit. Maybe he can break things the little Kongs can't to find secrets. Diddy should definitely be the fastest when off and on DK.

As for Dixie, I think when you're not on DK she would work like she did in the original trilogy, but instead of moving her whole body, she would just use her hair that way she could hold Diddy or Cranky when airborne without it looking awkward like in the trilogy.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah I think you could do an interesting balance of power, speed, and control with the three mains.

DK is the slowest with no real benefits in platforming, but can bust many walls/objects without a barrel unlike the other two and hurt enemies with greater ease.

Diddy is the fastest on the ground, underwater, and on vines, making him ideal for speedrunning or dealing with time based hazards.

Dixie is precise with platforming via her hair, has a bit more control of her aim with objects, and has the widest range of attack underwater.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That makes sense, I also remembered as a kid that I wished it was DK the one who was accompaning Dixie. But it that would have happened, we wouldn't have had a game starring Dixie Kong. She would have been overshadowed by DK.
But also I think that kind of negative mentality towards a character tends to dissapear with time, specially in 20 years when everyone learned to appreciate his game for what it was. You don't see Raiden and Metal Gear Solid 2 being hated on now like it was on release for example. So I don't think many people would oppose or react negatively to an hypotetical Kiddy reveal.... as long as Dixie is with him. I would riot if Dixie was not the next DK character.
Honestly I wouldn't be worried about DK overshadowing Dixie if he was in DKC3 instead of Kiddy. He was the star of DKC and Diddy stole his thunder for the most part; most people flocked to his sidekick and outside of killing Klumps faster, Diddy was the go-to Kong. People flocked to Dixie over Diddy in DKC2, so she'd upstage DK as well lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Happy DKC release day on NSO!

IT HAS HAPPENED!!!

How come I get this news so late ?

Nevertheless, awesome to see at least DKC1 return! Am gonna play it tonight!! Probably even finishing it. AM EXCITED!!!! :DDDDDDDDDD :ultdk::ultdiddy:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Honestly I wouldn't be worried about DK overshadowing Dixie if he was in DKC3 instead of Kiddy. He was the star of DKC and Diddy stole his thunder for the most part; most people flocked to his sidekick and outside of killing Klumps faster, Diddy was the go-to Kong. People flocked to Dixie over Diddy in DKC2, so she'd upstage DK as well lol
I would say that both DKC2 and DKC3 teams are very well balanced. But I agree that most newcomers would have used Dixie the most in a DKC3 where Kiddy is replaced by DK. My point is that we wouldn't have had "Dixie Kong's Double Trouble" in the title for marketing reasons. There was actually some dumb marketing that focused on Kiddy just because Dixie was a girl.
BTW poor DK, always being shafted in his own series, completely outclassed in DKC1 by Diddy, he doesn't have any special abillity on his own in the Retro games. The only time he doesn't get overshadowed is in DK64, but partially because you are forced to use him to get the Yellow collectables.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be honest, after revisiting DKC1 now on the SNES application, I did use DK more often than I would when I was younger. There's certain levels where leading as DK is clearly advantageous, as certain cave levels where there's many Krushas and Klumps. I didn't finish even one level as DK, of course not, I'll play as Diddy always whenever I can, but yeah even if he's outclassed I found some milage in using DK.

The balance of power could be much better yes. DK seriously needs some ability of his own, and the other Kongs shouldn't be just power ups and extra hits like they where in the Retro games.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
In a 3D DK game, I always pictured the Kongs being able to climb up walls kind of like BOTW but more agile. And RAIN RESISTANT.

Perhaps DK should be able to climb walls faster, have more "stamina" in general for anything.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In a 3D DK game, I always pictured the Kongs being able to climb up walls kind of like BOTW but more agile. And RAIN RESISTANT.

Perhaps DK should be able to climb walls faster, have more "stamina" in general for anything.
In a 3D environment, DK should be designed around his strength mostly I feel. Battles will be different than in 2D, so there's a lot they could do with that. A BotW styled game would work wonders indeed.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I've also been playing a bit of DKC1 on the SNES app (which btw I think is the one game where I actually prefer the CRT filter), and honestly my biggest takeaway is how little DKC1 I've played compared to the other two because I keep trying to do team-up attacks and forgetting that's not a thing yet.

Top Bottom