• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Que? The good people at Nintendo have shown boundless creativity. It is strange to think 3D DK's frontiers are defined by a game released in a very particular style all the way back in 1999.

3D games can take on many different forms.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
True, but I'd rather get DKC6/DKCR3 instead. I'm not that big a fan of 3D platformers. Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Mario Galaxy are the only ones I truly love.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I still think a Super Mario 3D World style take on DKC can work. Linear levels but 3D spaces.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
There are many, many, many ways to do a "3D" game. Apart from platformers, we need a 3D modern version of those old Sierra Adventure games. But starring Donkey Kong characters.

The Wrinkly Chronicles -- A Nancy Drew esque series where Wrinkly solves mysteries.

It'll be a DK subseries. But when Wrinkly gets into Smash before Dixie, she will have her own logo.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
OK so it seems like Pink Berets will be the Discord name. I don't mind it personally, but as for the discord in general definitely take Chronobound's guidelines to heart. I don't want our fandom to get weird in any sexual ways especially; if it does, I'll leave for good. Dixie has no sex appeal (to me at least) unlike 2 other female Kongs and it should stay that way. That's not her thing and that's not why she's getting a discord. I see her as a chimp (which I think are cool) with a hair-based superpower that happens to be girly. Our main priority should be her getting into Smash, and other games like DK and Mario spinoffs.

Also, it's perfectly fine to be passionate, in the sense that we're confident that she's a great character on her own, who would make a great addition to Smash. Let's not tear down other characters that we perceive as threats. It'll make us look insecure and scared, which is a troll's favorite target. Bear in mind that the characters being attacked may have overlapping fans with Dixie. For example, I'd like Master Chief to be in, but his thread has people constantly throwing shade at Doomguy. I can see why, but I like both series. That promotes an "Us vs Them" mentality, which gets toxic fast. Dixie vs K. Rool was our most toxic example, but Anybody vs Fire Emblem is the longest running example across SSB history.

As for real life stuff, let's leave that out unless it relates to DK and maaybe gaming. Obviously we all can't be on 24/7 cuz we have lives to live, and if something IRL is interfering with actively supporting that's completely understandable. Let's be encouraging and supportive of people who are having a tough time, and to a reasonable degree. Anything beyond that level of support should be spoken to and about privately. I'm sorry if I sound like an ***, but it is what it is. In regards to politics, culture wars and real life, we should avoid that too. I doubt I'd be recognized as a fan of DK if you saw me IRL and I'm certain we all have different backgrounds. We'll no doubt be taking unknown shots at each other if we get wrapped up in that, so it's best not to do it to start with. The only exceptions I can think of is if the news reports that people who play DK games are more likely to jump on crocodiles, a Gorilla holding a DS, or how video game music affects the brain. Harmless stuff like that is fine.

That's it for the Discord ATM. I'm thinking of drafting some discord rules in the future.
Sounds great.

We have faith that we can show that Dixie has a group of passionate fans that want her in more games like K Rool.

Just give a holler when it begins.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Question and criticized it if you wish, but Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said one or couple of his sources have said that a new DKC game is coming on the horizon. When will it come out? I don't know, but probably sometime next year or 2 or something. Fatman has also said a couple of his sources have told him that Nintendo plans to revive mutilple dead franchises from the grave which if true, will be very exciting. I hope to see F-Zero make it's grand return.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Arlo has made a video on why 3D platformers have disappeared and why Nintendo should give other franchises besides Mario a shot. He gives his take on what a new 3D DK, Kirby, and Yoshi could be.

If we get a 3D DK game ever again in my lifetime and K.Rool and Kremlings are in it I will die a VERY happy man. Yes I hope its better than DK64.
I would definitely play an open-world 3D Kirby game so much. (Would be awesome to explore inside of Dedede's massive castle.)

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
There are many, many, many ways to do a "3D" game. Apart from platformers, we need a 3D modern version of those old Sierra Adventure games. But starring Donkey Kong characters.

The Wrinkly Chronicles -- A Nancy Drew esque series where Wrinkly solves mysteries.

It'll be a DK subseries. But when Wrinkly gets into Smash before Dixie, she will have her own logo.
a point-and-click adventure in the DKC universe would be SO up my alley

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Comparing a third-party edutainment game to a first-party action game isn't the same as comparing one 3D platformer to another. C'mon bud.
my point is you can't just assume that any 3D platformer with Donkey Kong is even gonna be in the same style as DK64, let alone plagued by the same problems. there are many many many ways a developer could approach a task like this and we have only ever seen one possible interpretation.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I support her for Smash. (While Dixie isn't one of my most wanted fighters, I wouldn't mind her getting into Smash to make you guys happy.)

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252

Some appropriate Valentine cards for the occasion!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^personally i'm more intrigued by Dixie Kirby's realistic ear

they all look cute tho!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I find it weird that the Donkey Kong Country games (and Earthbound) aren't on here. I get that maybe Square-Enix wouldn't cooperate for Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4/5/6, or even Mario RPG, but you'd think that DKC1 would be on here by now at the absolute least.
Very weird indeed. Unless we get a "special release" coupled with a "special reveal". I can't think of any other reason to withhold these classics. The Wii U even managed to get DK64.
DK64 already showed us that DK doesn't work in 3D. Sure, a radically different 3D take on the series could work, but I don't want to take the chance (especially if it robs us of DKC6/DKCR3). I say keep DK, Kirby, and Yoshi in 2D where they belong, keep 3D Mario nice and linear like Galaxy and 3D World, and make some brand-new IPs for 3D platformers.
Why wouldn't DK work in 3D? I think it would work wonders. Just couple it with a lot of fast pacing throughout the levels or stages , a bit faster than DK64 and the 3D Mario games, and less focussed maybe on collectables and more on finding secrets, exploration and combat. Think more like Zelda BotW and less like Mario Oddysey. Tame wild animals fight off hordes of Kremlings, travel through deep jungles while climbing trees and swinging vines, dive into deep lakes and other bodies of water to discover what's in there. Learn new ways of combat and abilities that help you travel through these areas better. Use objects as barrels to make it through enemies who are very powerful, use Bananas you collect to improve your attacks or speed.

Donkey Kong has TONS of potential for 3D gaming. I say the most of any franchise I can think of.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I think DK's best style for 3D is a linear platformer like Crash or Mario 3D World.
Wasn't that what Rare was trying to do but space limitations shut that down?
But what would make DK stand out from Mario or Crash is what DKC already does great. The levels should be creative, grounded, greatly designed, challenging and with set pieces crumbling like in Retro's games (Imagine a level of Tropical Freeze from an Uncharted-like cinematic perspective). Of course, every single level in the DKC series is memorable and that shouldn't be lost in the 3D transition (Neither should David Wise's music).
Also make the controls extremely tight and easy to master so we can move the Kongs in 3D like a dream.

Now that I read that. It sounds a lot like Boost style Sonic when it was good. Well at least DK wouldn't be switching to 2D 70% of the time.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That post saying "DK64 proved 3D Donkey Kong doesn't work" just rubbed me THAT MUCH in the wrong way, that I thought this over a lot.. what if 3D platforming got revolutionised with Donkey Kong again, like DKC did with 2D platforming ?

Imagine the Kongs literally doing parcours with athletic ape abilities through the game? Grabbing things becomes a major focus and thus also references the climber games of PAON, but way more dynamic, action filled and fast paced. You don't simply climb random blocks that move through the world for no reason, the jungle itself becomes fully interactive. DK64 didn't really respect the essentials of DKC all that much, tried to make it too much like Banjo. Have a faster paced DK64 with interactive world like BotW (the climbing mechanic for example would work wonders, just way faster and less clumsy, we're Kongs here not Hylians) and DKC essentials as a fast roll, a ground pound which may or not be powered up, a unique attack for each Kong, team co-op mechanics, and a world filled with action.

The goal of the game could be simple: Kremlings have returned and invaded DK Island, take control of all major areas and defeat K.Rool and his "generals" (boss battles). You defeat all Kremlings and take control of a hidden stock of Bananas in each area (level archetypes; Jungle Japes, a vast savanna with a desert, a swampy area, mines and caves, mountain ranges with ice and lava themes, lots of stuff underground, maybe link these worlds through caves also filled with enemies that are hard to travel through) and then face the boss of the world in the same area and use all you can to beat them. It could even feature a few Jungle Beat mechanics, like how DK fought the boss Kongs for example, this could be a base of certain mid bosses or Kremlings like Krusha or Klump.

Such a game would do FANTASTIC. And I can easily imagine it working great. It could even work wonders with the engine of BotW, as animals already kind of function like they would in a DK game (the taming and riding aspect also works well), Bokoblins are good enough to reskin to Kremlings just about right away as well as their camps, nature behaves.. naturally, you just gotta need a bit of fine tuning here and there. Like DK punching through a tree and throwing huge rocks with ease, but Diddy or Dixie wouldn't be able to do such and require a more stealth based approach, like throwing coconuts from trees or setting traps or tame a wild rhino, hippo, elephant or giraffe to do the dirty work. I can keep going all day if I have to.

Also collection shouldn't be a big element, but still be extremely rewarding. Like as I always suggest, using Bananas to power up your Kong and stuff.

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
That post saying "DK64 proved 3D Donkey Kong doesn't work" just rubbed me THAT MUCH in the wrong way, that I thought this over a lot.. what if 3D platforming got revolutionised with Donkey Kong again, like DKC did with 2D platforming ?

Imagine the Kongs literally doing parcours with athletic ape abilities through the game? Grabbing things becomes a major focus and thus also references the climber games of PAON, but way more dynamic, action filled and fast paced. You don't simply climb random blocks that move through the world for no reason, the jungle itself becomes fully interactive. DK64 didn't really respect the essentials of DKC all that much, tried to make it too much like Banjo. Have a faster paced DK64 with interactive world like BotW (the climbing mechanic for example would work wonders, just way faster and less clumsy, we're Kongs here not Hylians) and DKC essentials as a fast roll, a ground pound which may or not be powered up, a unique attack for each Kong, team co-op mechanics, and a world filled with action.

The goal of the game could be simple: Kremlings have returned and invaded DK Island, take control of all major areas and defeat K.Rool and his "generals" (boss battles). You defeat all Kremlings and take control of a hidden stock of Bananas in each area (level archetypes; Jungle Japes, a vast savanna with a desert, a swampy area, mines and caves, mountain ranges with ice and lava themes, lots of stuff underground, maybe link these worlds through caves also filled with enemies that are hard to travel through) and then face the boss of the world in the same area and use all you can to beat them. It could even feature a few Jungle Beat mechanics, like how DK fought the boss Kongs for example, this could be a base of certain mid bosses or Kremlings like Krusha or Klump.

Such a game would do FANTASTIC. And I can easily imagine it working great. It could even work wonders with the engine of BotW, as animals already kind of function like they would in a DK game (the taming and riding aspect also works well), Bokoblins are good enough to reskin to Kremlings just about right away as well as their camps, nature behaves.. naturally, you just gotta need a bit of fine tuning here and there. Like DK punching through a tree and throwing huge rocks with ease, but Diddy or Dixie wouldn't be able to do such and require a more stealth based approach, like throwing coconuts from trees or setting traps or tame a wild rhino, hippo, elephant or giraffe to do the dirty work. I can keep going all day if I have to.

Also collection shouldn't be a big element, but still be extremely rewarding. Like as I always suggest, using Bananas to power up your Kong and stuff.
Good Ideas. Would love to play that kind of DK game

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Man Im so starved for DK content I would take a straight port of Konga and the bongos back at this point...

(Anyone who knows me knows I hate the bongos and Konga...)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Excellent ideas Diddy. But instead of calling the higher ranking Kremlings generals, wouldn't it be better to call them kommanders so we can sneek the k in?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Why wouldn't DK work in 3D? I think it would work wonders. Just couple it with a lot of fast pacing throughout the levels or stages , a bit faster than DK64 and the 3D Mario games, and less focussed maybe on collectables and more on finding secrets, exploration and combat. Think more like Zelda BotW and less like Mario Oddysey. Tame wild animals fight off hordes of Kremlings, travel through deep jungles while climbing trees and swinging vines, dive into deep lakes and other bodies of water to discover what's in there. Learn new ways of combat and abilities that help you travel through these areas better. Use objects as barrels to make it through enemies who are very powerful, use Bananas you collect to improve your attacks or speed.

Donkey Kong has TONS of potential for 3D gaming. I say the most of any franchise I can think of.
Eh, I'm gonna be real: I just don't like 3D platformers that much. I like some (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Mario Galaxy being the big ones), but I'm a 2D guy through and through. I'm sure a 3D Donkey Kong game could be good, but a part of me will always prefer another DKC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Eh, I'm gonna be real: I just don't like 3D platformers that much. I like some (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Mario Galaxy being the big ones), but I'm a 2D guy through and through. I'm sure a 3D Donkey Kong game could be good, but a part of me will always prefer another DKC.
You don't like Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or Super Mario Galaxy 2? I can get why you don't like Sunshine because a lot of people don't but why 64 and Galaxy 2?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You don't like Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, or Super Mario Galaxy 2? I can get why you don't like Sunshine because a lot of people don't but why 64 and Galaxy 2?
He didn't explicitly say he doesn't like those games, please don't put words in his mouth. He specifically said the specific 3D platformers he liked were the N64 Banjo-Kazooie games and Super Mario Galaxy, that's all.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
He didn't explicitly say he doesn't like those games, please don't put words in his mouth. He specifically said the specific 3D platformers he liked were the N64 Banjo-Kazooie games and Super Mario Galaxy, that's all.
My bad. I read it wrong the first time thinking he only liked Kazooie, Tooie, and Galaxy in terms of 3D platformers when he actually said: "I like some (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Mario Galaxy being the big ones), but I'm a 2D guy through and through.".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mario Galaxy was an amazing game, and did wonders for the 3D platform genre. Shame it didn't include the basic combat options of Mario 64 however. That always bugged me. But I loved Sunshine too, despite also wanting to punch things at times like in Mario 64.

Another DKC would also do good with me. The Retro platformers set a solid base for the franchise. I don't think it's a priority for Nintendo to keep DKC running however. Which is a shame. I just miss DK game in general. I for example also really loved the Climber games, especially DK Jungle Climber. It's a serious overlooked gem in this community.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like since the Gamecube era, 3D platformers have been slowing dying off. Don't get me wrong, it's slowly coming back with Super Mario Odyssey, Hat In Time, ect but in recent years since the Wii era it has only seem like Mario has been the only one getting 3D platformers or at least great 3D platformers at that.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I wonder how 3D platformers would have turned out if Rare had been bought by Nintendo.
We would have gotten sequels to Banjo Tooie and DK64 at least. But seeing at Rare's offerings post-Star Fox Adventures, I would have doubts at those games being 100% assured high quality.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wonder how 3D platformers would have turned out if Rare had been bought by Nintendo.
We would have gotten sequels to Banjo Tooie and DK64 at least. But seeing at Rare's offerings post-Star Fox Adventures, I would have doubts at those games being 100% assured high quality.
Had Nintendo bought out Rare completely on the Gamecube we would have gotten Donkey Kong Racing, Banjo-Threeie, a direct sequel to DK64, Conker's Other Bad Fur Day, and Perfect Dark: Zero. I don't know what else we would have gotten, but Rare I think would be keeping the 3D platforming genre much more alive had they still been more active with their old IPs in recent years like when they were with Nintendo.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I feel like since the Gamecube era, 3D platformers have been slowing dying off. Don't get me wrong, it's slowly coming back with Super Mario Odyssey, Hat In Time, ect but in recent years since the Wii era it has only seem like Mario has been the only one getting 3D platformers or at least great 3D platformers at that.
It's true. Halo 1 and GTA3 showed the industry at large that the real money was in those types of games. In fact, it led Microsoft to purge any platformer in 2004 like Psychonauts and Oddworld Stranger's Wrath from their portfolio, and is also why Rare justified Nuts N Bolts' existence. "Gamers just wanna shoot things!" is a quote I paraphrased from the 1st 15 minutes of Banjo-Kazooie Nuts N Bolts.

Of course, the success of Halo led to a lot of copycats which didn't reach the same highs... until Modern Warfare lit the world up like never before. From that point forward First Person Shooters were the go-to genre, and Call of Duty was the new king. With Activision pumping out constant entries and tons of developers making their own types of FPS games, every other genre died down while the FPS became the most popular.

Needless to say, platformers got hit hard. For the longest time everyone was trying to make the next Mario, but by the mid 2000s everyone wanted to take CoD's market. Platformers got scarce; Rayman and Donkey Kong went back to 2D, Crash burned out as soon as Naughty Dog left him, Spyro couldn't do anything without Insomniac Games, and games like Psychonauts and Oddworld Stranger's Wrath were lucky to even be sleeper hits. ND retired Jak and Daxter after 3 games and Sucker Punch did the same to Sly Cooper. Sonic kept making 3D platformers, but got so much wrong with some of the entries ('06) that he became a hideous laughing stock for years to come, getting mixed reception at best. There was also the idea that platformers are for kids and losers, and that Real Gamers played gritty mature shooters and the like.

For Platformers, there were honestly only 3 franchises that regularly made 3D entries. Mario was never gonna die out; he basically carried the Wii and any main series game, like Sunshine or Galaxy or 3D Land/World got near unanimous praise. Sonic also had a steady stream, but it was consistently bad and quite a broken mess with flaws that outweighed its positives. Ratchet and Clank, the star of Sony's platformer trio was the only one born from its era that's still going with consistent quality. That's remarkable since that series was born and thrived in an era when GTA and Halo made games like that unprofitable. Their quality dipped occasionally, but R&C had quite a few hits on the PS2, PS3 and PS4, and that's even with Insomniac Games making their own FPS and other games. Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog and Ratchet & Clank were quite literally the only 3D platformers for a handful of years...with a cartoony aesthetic.

One thing people always say though, is that 3D platformers are returning, but they're missing something when they say that. 3D Platformers never really left, in fact some of the highest profile games of the PS3/XB360 and to a lesser extent PS4/XB1 are platformers. The Uncharted series, Assassin's Creed franchise and InFAMOUS games are definitely platformers, the main difference is that they're not cartoony. They have the gritty look of their era and star a human, but if you've played enough platformers you'll see you do just as much running and jumping through obstacle courses as any cartoony platformer does. Those games come with a twist; Assassin's Creed is primarily stealth, but unlike Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid you're scaling buildings and hopping rooftops to get your prey. InFamous blends platformer with superhero genre, disguises shooter elements with Super Powers and takes some of the climbing from AC. Uncharted is just as much a platformer as it is a shooter and stealth game; if you're not navigating a vertical obstacle course, you're sneaking through enemy territory, and if you're doing neither of those then that's cuz you're currently in a shootout. Assassin's Creed and Uncharted especially were some of the most popular series of their era, and that's even with CoD dominating the market like never before. People tend to overlook them because they don't have the cartoony aesthetic of say, Gex or Banjo-Kazooie, but you're constantly jumping over and climbing over things in those games, and every platformer is about navigating obstacle courses for most of the game.

So yeah platformers took a big dive, but they made some remarkable entries throughout. Mario is his own level of quality, Sonic somehow stayed relevant despite a garbage record, Ratchet & Clank stood strong during a time when their kind was under attack, and Platformers as a whole changed with the times. Aesthetically Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and InFAMOUS are nothing like the cartoony ones, but on a gameplay basis they are no doubt platformers with a twist. Problem is not many acknowledge that, and these were some of the most high profile games of their time.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
3D platformers in general have always had a presence, but specifically exploration-based 3D platformers felt pretty hard to come by for quite a while. The Super Mario Galaxy games were about it, and even those skewed noticeably more linear than 64 or Sunshine. Part of the reason I was so excited when Yooka-Laylee was announced was because it was the first sign of life for the genre in years.

Luckily by now we have great games like Yooka-Laylee, Super Mario Odyssey, and A Hat In Time on the market, with hopefully more to come.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's true. Halo 1 and GTA3 showed the industry at large that the real money was in those types of games. In fact, it led Microsoft to purge any platformer in 2004 like Psychonauts and Oddworld Stranger's Wrath from their portfolio, and is also why Rare justified Nuts N Bolts' existence. "Gamers just wanna shoot things!" is a quote I paraphrased from the 1st 15 minutes of Banjo-Kazooie Nuts N Bolts.

Of course, the success of Halo led to a lot of copycats which didn't reach the same highs... until Modern Warfare lit the world up like never before. From that point forward First Person Shooters were the go-to genre, and Call of Duty was the new king. With Activision pumping out constant entries and tons of developers making their own types of FPS games, every other genre died down while the FPS became the most popular.

Needless to say, platformers got hit hard. For the longest time everyone was trying to make the next Mario, but by the mid 2000s everyone wanted to take CoD's market. Platformers got scarce; Rayman and Donkey Kong went back to 2D, Crash burned out as soon as Naughty Dog left him, Spyro couldn't do anything without Insomniac Games, and games like Psychonauts and Oddworld Stranger's Wrath were lucky to even be sleeper hits. ND retired Jak and Daxter after 3 games and Sucker Punch did the same to Sly Cooper. Sonic kept making 3D platformers, but got so much wrong with some of the entries ('06) that he became a hideous laughing stock for years to come, getting mixed reception at best. There was also the idea that platformers are for kids and losers, and that Real Gamers played gritty mature shooters and the like.

For Platformers, there were honestly only 3 franchises that regularly made 3D entries. Mario was never gonna die out; he basically carried the Wii and any main series game, like Sunshine or Galaxy or 3D Land/World got near unanimous praise. Sonic also had a steady stream, but it was consistently bad and quite a broken mess with flaws that outweighed its positives. Ratchet and Clank, the star of Sony's platformer trio was the only one born from its era that's still going with consistent quality. That's remarkable since that series was born and thrived in an era when GTA and Halo made games like that unprofitable. Their quality dipped occasionally, but R&C had quite a few hits on the PS2, PS3 and PS4, and that's even with Insomniac Games making their own FPS and other games. Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog and Ratchet & Clank were quite literally the only 3D platformers for a handful of years...with a cartoony aesthetic.

One thing people always say though, is that 3D platformers are returning, but they're missing something when they say that. 3D Platformers never really left, in fact some of the highest profile games of the PS3/XB360 and to a lesser extent PS4/XB1 are platformers. The Uncharted series, Assassin's Creed franchise and InFAMOUS games are definitely platformers, the main difference is that they're not cartoony. They have the gritty look of their era and star a human, but if you've played enough platformers you'll see you do just as much running and jumping through obstacle courses as any cartoony platformer does. Those games come with a twist; Assassin's Creed is primarily stealth, but unlike Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid you're scaling buildings and hopping rooftops to get your prey. InFamous blends platformer with superhero genre, disguises shooter elements with Super Powers and takes some of the climbing from AC. Uncharted is just as much a platformer as it is a shooter and stealth game; if you're not navigating a vertical obstacle course, you're sneaking through enemy territory, and if you're doing neither of those then that's cuz you're currently in a shootout. Assassin's Creed and Uncharted especially were some of the most popular series of their era, and that's even with CoD dominating the market like never before. People tend to overlook them because they don't have the cartoony aesthetic of say, Gex or Banjo-Kazooie, but you're constantly jumping over and climbing over things in those games, and every platformer is about navigating obstacle courses for most of the game.

So yeah platformers took a big dive, but they made some remarkable entries throughout. Mario is his own level of quality, Sonic somehow stayed relevant despite a garbage record, Ratchet & Clank stood strong during a time when their kind was under attack, and Platformers as a whole changed with the times. Aesthetically Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and InFAMOUS are nothing like the cartoony ones, but on a gameplay basis they are no doubt platformers with a twist. Problem is not many acknowledge that, and these were some of the most high profile games of their time.
I never thought about Assassin's Creed playing like a platformer, but you're right.

While on the topic of platformers, have you ever played the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja games? If you haven't I would highly recommend checking them out. The games are usually side scrollers and 3D platformers that play like a mix between Mario and Zelda with the gameplay playing like Mario, but it having dungeons, bosses, keys, items, and shops like Zelda.

You play as these 4 ninjas in medieval Japan who rescue Japan from weird people in the games such as a western general with bunny men, the protagonist and co-protagonist's descendants from the future coming to kill them with one of them being a transgender nun, two westerns that want to make Japan into their opera stage, and a DBZ like demon/villain that wants to destroy the world. You also get in this giant robot called Impact and fight other giant robots like it's Power Rangers.

It's an extremely underrated franchise in the west, but pretty well known in Japan. We have gotten 4 games release here while Japan has gotten over 30 games. The 4 ninjas I mentioned were Goemon, Ebisumaru, Sasuke, and Yae and they're the characters you see in my avatar. The Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series is my all time favorite gaming franchise.

Edit: Here is some Impact goodness:

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
DX_E DX_E thanks for the heads up. I'll update the OP.
I never thought about Assassin's Creed playing like a platformer, but you're right.

While on the topic of platformers, have you ever played the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja games? If you haven't I would highly recommend checking them out. The games are usually side scrollers and 3D platformers that play like a mix between Mario and Zelda with the gameplay playing like Mario, but it having dungeons, bosses, keys, items, and shops like Zelda.

You play as these 4 ninjas in medieval Japan who rescue Japan from weird people in the games such as a western general with bunny men, the protagonist and co-protagonist's descendants from the future coming to kill them with one of them being a transgender nun, two westerns that want to make Japan into their opera stage, and a DBZ like demon/villain that wants to destroy the world. You also get in this giant robot called Impact and fight other giant robots like it's Power Rangers.

It's an extremely underrated franchise in the west, but pretty well known in Japan. We have gotten 4 games release here while Japan has gotten over 30 games. The 4 ninjas I mentioned were Goemon, Ebisumaru, Sasuke, and Yae and they're the characters you see in my avatar. The Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series is my all time favorite gaming franchise.

Edit: Here is some Impact goodness:

I've never really heard of that series before. I'll check it out sometime.

Top Bottom