• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
"Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair" has free demo that is available to download now as of (1/30/20)"

I'm sure most of us here already know what the game is about or has owned or played it, But for those who have not, It's 2.5D Platformer from Playtonic Games (Former Rare employees) behind the Donkey Kong Country series and Banjo-Kazooie series.

Not to be confused with their 1st game "Yooka-Laylee" which was a 3D platformer heavily inspired by Banjo-Kazooie, Impossible Lair is more based on the DKC series, Even former Rare composers David Wise and Grant Kirkhope have tagged along to score this outing.

I've bought the game physically around the holidays, But yet to have played because I'm currently catching up on a couple of games at the moment (Pokemon Sword and Luigi's Mansion 3) before I take on this one, Should be able to play it sometime around the Spring. But as huge fan of Rare, Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie I'm really looking forward to playing this one as I have heard nothing ,But good things about it and has drawn many comparisons to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It may not be a the big budget 3rd DKC game we all have been waiting and hoping for ,But it should be a good stopgap solution until we do get one (Hopefully soon).

So why not give the demo a shot? It's free after all.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
"Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair" has free demo that is available to download now as of (1/30/20)"

I'm sure most of us here already know what the game is about or has owned or played it, But for those who have not, It's 2.5D Platformer from Playtonic Games (Former Rare employees) behind the Donkey Kong Country series and Banjo-Kazooie series.

Not to be confused with their 1st game "Yooka-Laylee" which was a 3D platformer heavily inspired by Banjo-Kazooie, Impossible Lair is more based on the DKC series, Even former Rare composers David Wise and Grant Kirkhope have tagged along to score this outing.

I've bought the game physically around the holidays, But yet to have played because I'm currently catching up on a couple of games at the moment (Pokemon Sword and Luigi's Mansion 3) before I take on this one, Should be able to play it sometime around the Spring. But as huge fan of Rare, Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie I'm really looking forward to playing this one as I have heard nothing ,But good things about it and has drawn many comparisons to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It may not be a the big budget 3rd DKC game we all have been waiting and hoping for ,But it should be a good stopgap solution until we do get one (Hopefully soon).

Thanks for the heads-up. I most definitely won't be buying the game anytime soon, because I recently bought a ton of games, but I'll give the demo a shot, maybe it'll change my mind about Playtonic.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
This is so incredibly upsetting to me.
Encuesta.png
I know popular opinions are hard to break but still....

Anyway, anyone here please give a try to the Yooka Laylee demo. If you love DKC whatever it's Rare or Retro style. I'm sure you will love the FEEL of the The Impossible Lair. They even kept the jump out of roll in the air for their obvious intended audience.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Anyway, anyone here please give a try to the Yooka Laylee demo. If you love DKC whatever it's Rare or Retro style. I'm sure you will love the FEEL of the The Impossible Lair. They even kept the jump out of roll in the air for their obvious intended audience.
Lotta normies voting in the poll. Super Mario Bros. 3 is the better game over World, obviously (nah that's just my opinion), whereas DKC2 is a strict improvement over DKC1 in nearly every way.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Lotta normies voting in the poll. Super Mario Bros. 3 is the better game over World, obviously (nah that's just my opinion), whereas DKC2 is a strict improvement over DKC1 in nearly every way.
I love how basically all the comments are focusing on calling out the results. There is hope in this game world.

Comments.png

Comments 2.png

Super Mario World already beat Yoshi's Island and it's going against A Link to the Past or Super Metroid in the finals. If it wins... that would be.... quite shocking... not that I hate SMW, I played it non-stop as a kid, but after playing so many incredible 2D platformers (Including DKC) and so many creative Mario Maker levels in the SMW style, on replay it feels... kinda vanillia, easy and simple in comparison.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I prefer World over 3 due to the smoother controls, Yoshi, and the super cape. But I respect your opinion liking 3 more with it having more power ups, enemies, and more unique world concepts and such.

You think it would be a fairer fight if they put the original DKC on that poll instead of DKC2 as most normies see the original as the more iconic and groundbreaking game.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
You think it would be a fairer fight if they put the original DKC on that poll instead of DKC2 as most normies see the original as the more iconic and groundbreaking game.
You would be surprised then.
Poll 3.png
I think SMW would win regardless. The nostalgia and the sheer amount of people that just played Mario wins over actual game quality in popularity polls.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
why did they make the poll selection color so close to the background color? at first glance i thought dkc2 had zero votes

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Someone made a great concept art for a Dixie DLC stage, and it's been posted to the Dixie for Smash Twitter.

There's also a poll for what stage you would want Dixie to come with in the replies.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I made the mockup from different screenshots of their work, but all the original Bramble Blast level graphics were made by BlobVanDam whose video you can check out in the link above.

Also, I support free and fair DK stage elections. But you need to vote for Brambles and only Brambles.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Someone made a great concept art for a Dixie DLC stage, and it's been posted to the Dixie for Smash Twitter.

There's also a poll for what stage you would want Dixie to come with in the replies.

That fourth option in the poll tho. YES, my most wanted stage. I need to vote to see how many people agree with me and love that awesome level...

*Votes*

*Sees Grassland Groove in last place*

Not again.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Having a stage on top of a rollercoaster would be cool. There would be gaps in the track and the kremlings would bash by on their skull karts. The background could incorporate the fairground lights, night sky, fireworks and even the brambles and honey hive. Wasn't the first brambles level in this area? Zingers could fly by as a hazard too.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It would be odd to have a Tropical Freeze spirit evolving into the Dixie and Kiddy from DKC3 spirit.
I don't think that's weird at all! Dixie is a supporting player in Tropical Freeze, but she's the star of DKC3. Name in the title and everything.

Impossible Lair is one of the best games I played this last decade and one of the best platformers I've played ever. Definitely feels like a continuation of the SNES DKC series, but it has an identity all its own.

And I'm not just saying that because Playtonic renamed an item in the game due to a ****post I made on DK Vine.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
That fourth option in the poll tho. YES, my most wanted stage. I need to vote to see how many people agree with me and love that awesome level...

*Votes*

*Sees Grassland Groove in last place*

Not again.

That was me, I felt betrayed.

On the other hand, if Windmill Hills was a stage, I would have immediately picked that. Beautiful music and I love the inspired landscape that conveys the same sense of wilderness as other DK locales but is more whimsical.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm actually relatively OK with Byleth (Wasn't my first choice for a 1st Party obviously, but wasn't my least favorite choice either, due to my love of Three Houses), so I'm not posting this to be a jab at the character in particular. Only posting this because of the pure meme potential of the artwork.

The bottom panel reaction image has literally been me for the past year and a half since K. Rool's reveal waiting for Dixie to come to Smash.

https://shesamonkey.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F190297827518

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Man, I try not to get disappointed over video games, but it really feels wrong that Fire Emblem got another character before Dixie. Or an ARMS character. Or even Rex from Xenoblade 2.
Smash is a celebration of Nintendo and gaming as a whole. Fire Emblem as a franchise is already represented so well. It has so much content in the game already. Its such a bummer that there's such a bias towards the series.

It sort of makes sense for Super Mario and Pokemon because they're such juggernauts, but Fire Emblem doesn't feel like it's in the same tier of popularity as those two franchises. It certainly doesn't feel bigger than The Legend of Zelda, that's for sure.

Donkey Kong isn't a huge series, but it feels like its missing a core character that should be there. Fire Emblem getting ANOTHER character before Dixie really stings.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Donkey Kong isn't a huge series,
Are you kidding? Donkey Kong is arguably the series that put Nintendo on the map in 1981, at least in the States. People forget how unbelievably massive the Country games were in the nineties. DK in general is still Nintendo's fourth highest-selling IP (fifth if you count the "Wii" series, but you shouldn't for obvious reasons).

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Are you kidding? Donkey Kong is arguably the series that put Nintendo on the map in 1981, at least in the States. People forget how unbelievably massive the Country games were in the nineties. DK in general is still Nintendo's fourth highest-selling IP (fifth if you count the "Wii" series, but you shouldn't for obvious reasons).
I mean nowadays. Historically, DK is majorly, majorly important.
Nowadays, DK really doesn't get many games.

It absolutely deserves more representation in Smash simply due to how hugely important it is for Nintendo's history.

If you want my honest opinion, the DK series deserves Dixie *and* Cranky, and it definitely deserves more items, assist trophies, and stages.

I'm glad we got K.Rool, but the series deserves way more.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I love how Dixie is after K. Rool. That implies she's an original fighter. And also lines up with their debut order.

That DK line up is perfect, I wouldn't ask for a new DK character ever again. But it would ascend from WOKE to FUNKY if this was after DK and before Diddy.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That's some excellent Dixie propaganda. I'll post that but who is KMDP? Is that someone from SmashBoards? Asking for credit purposes.
Yeah, I'll just link to his original post. It's from the Newcomer Stock Icons page.

Unfortunately, his account has been inactive for half a year at this point, so it's anyone's guess on how to get in contact with him.

@Imadethistoseealeak
Okay, now that my problem has been fixed, I will proceed to show all 33 of the Icons I currently have done over two posts.
I'll upload them in order, because I'm like that.
View attachment 149574
There's a bit of Jank on his crown I can't be bothered to fix. Let's just say it gives it 'personality'.
View attachment 149582
I'm particularly proud of this one. :) Makes for a good final icon of this batch.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I like how the way you cropped this means it looks like you think Zelda having no characters aside from Link is accurate for being both broke and woke, lol
I'm using a tiny laptop screen so that was just all I could fit into a screenshot, but sure, I can agree with that even if it was unintentional. LOL.

After Dixie gets in, a decent Zelda newcomer (by decent I mainly mean not another Link) is pretty much my next priority in terms of 1st Party characters. Impa is my favorite, but I also would love Midna or Tetra.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
2 Things: I played as Byleth yesterday and BoTW Link should've been just as varied with his weapons. BotW Link should have had spears, hammers and axes, being the most different from the 3 Links by far.

Also, Byleth's arrival means Dixie has a higher chance, but it's a good idea to re-read ChronoBound's assessments on Dixie so we don't get complacent. She has an uphill battle.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
2 Things: I played as Byleth yesterday and BoTW Link should've been just as varied with his weapons. BotW Link should have had spears, hammers and axes, being the most different from the 3 Links by far.

Also, Byleth's arrival means Dixie has a higher chance, but it's a good idea to re-read ChronoBound's assessments on Dixie so we don't get complacent. She has an uphill battle.
Byleth's moveset fits many characters from different franchises where they use multiple weapons. I can think of Monster Hunter, any character from the Souls franchise, non-Belmont Castlevania characters and believe it or or not, :ultbayonetta:.

If I wanted the Links to be considered unique Zelda reps. I would have overhauled several of :ultyounglink: and :ulttoonlink: specials for this game.
I remember when in the pre-Brawl days I predicted that Young Link would have his appearance of Wind Waker. But his specials would be the Deku Leaf for recovering, Bombchus instead of normal bombs and the Hurricane Spin as a Final Smash. Basically what Hyrule Warriors did with him (Before giving him the Sand Rod and the CHOO CHOO of doom).
Oh well. Only half of that prediction came true. But if all three Links were heavily different (Honestly the Marths feel more distinct to me gameplay wise). Zelda wouldn't feel so badly represented.

If Dixie made it in Brawl as a tag team with Diddy I think she would still be attached to the team and/or in a :ultpichu:, :ultdoc: or even :ultganondorf:'s situation. I guess a positive thing about Dixie's situation now is that they have to make her unique to sell the DLC. They wouldn't sell a clone or semi-clone for 6 bucks would they?
(I know :4feroy: existed but that was a veteran coming back, dang I just remembered he's also a Fire Emblem character)

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Brambles wins the poll at 47%.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Byleth's moveset fits many characters from different franchises where they use multiple weapons. I can think of Monster Hunter, any character from the Souls franchise, non-Belmont Castlevania characters and believe it or or not, :ultbayonetta:.

If I wanted the Links to be considered unique Zelda reps. I would have overhauled several of :ultyounglink: and :ulttoonlink: specials for this game.
I remember when in the pre-Brawl days I predicted that Young Link would have his appearance of Wind Waker. But his specials would be the Deku Leaf for recovering, Bombchus instead of normal bombs and the Hurricane Spin as a Final Smash. Basically what Hyrule Warriors did with him (Before giving him the Sand Rod and the CHOO CHOO of doom).
Oh well. Only half of that prediction came true. But if all three Links were heavily different (Honestly the Marths feel more distinct to me gameplay wise). Zelda wouldn't feel so badly represented.

If she made it in Brawl as a tag team with Diddy I think she would still be attached to the team and/or in a :ultpichu:, :ultdoc: or even :ultganondorf:'s situation. I guess a positive thing about Dixie's situation now is that they have to make her unique to sell the DLC. They wouldn't sell a clone or semi-clone for 6 bucks would they?
(I know :4feroy: existed but that was a veteran coming back, dang I just remembered he's also a Fire Emblem character)
Personally if it was up to me I'd change up Toon Link as well as BoTW Link and have them go in their own directions, with Young Link staying the same for nostalgia's sake. I played through Wind Waker after Brawl and was asking myself why a lot of those items didn't find a way into Toon Link's moveset even back then. Yea they each have their nuance as of Ultimate but there's an obvious template; they could've really branched out from each other and been a lot more than what we got now.

For Dixie though, they'd definitely give her something to justify the price. Semi-Clone or not, we still don't have any grapple-oriented fighters in the roster lol.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If Dixie made it in Brawl as a tag team with Diddy I think she would still be attached to the team and/or in a :ultpichu:, :ultdoc: or even :ultganondorf:'s situation.
I’m not really so sure. I mean, if the Ice Climbers couldn’t work in the 3DS version, I’m pretty sure they would have either separated Diddy and Dixie like Sheik and ZSS (the far more likelier option) at best, or at worst cut her in Smash 4 (very unlikely) and have her return in Ultimate for Everyone is Here. And in either case I’m pretty sure she would still be separate in Ultimate, because the only transformation character that were merged back in Ultimate was the Pokemon Trainer, on the account that the character of the Trainer itself relied on the Pokemon being together. Diddy and Dixie don’t have that restriction, just like Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
BirthNote BirthNote isn't :ultincineroar: considered a grappler styled fighter?
Sadly he, Diddy, Wario, Yoshi, Kirby, Dedede, Lucario, Ridley and Isabelle only have one extra grab type of move. It's not their main thing like how Mega Man, Snake, Villager, Duck Hunt, Isabelle etc have more than 2 projectiles in their movesets to make them projectile type characters. Basically while those characters have an extra grab, I wouldn't call them grapplers any more than I would call the Mario Bros projectile characters despite having fireballs. Everyone gets a grab by default anyway, so one extra grab doesn't make them grapple-oriented.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Ganondorf has three moves that grab so I guess he's the grappler

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have a new idea for Dixie:

All feedback is welcome. Thanks.
I really am enjoying your art and vision regarding Dixie's possible moveset. It is really a shame more don't understand the full potential her prehensile hair could bring to a possible moveset in Smash, and I think your art helps demonstrate it in a way words are not able to.

A 1st party!
I was expecting Astral Chain or a Fire Emblem Three Houses character for the post-pass DLC. I was surprised Byleth ended up happening for the first pass. A Nintendo character happening as DLC did not change anything as far as my expectations go for future DLC. I do think another Nintendo character could happen for Fighters Pass Volume 2, but I am not as optimistic since both Astral Chain and Three Houses are now out of the running.

I think it could have another promotional Nintendo character. Maybe a Pokemon representing Sword and Shield, or even Ring Fit Adventurer (Ring Fit Adventure is selling very well in Japan at the moment).

Watch as only one of the 6 will be a fan favorite while the rest are 3rd party characters a lot of people didn't ask for. Like how Banjo & Kazooie were the only SUPER requested character in Season Pass 1.
While Banjo-Kazooie was the only highly requested character from the Smash Bubble to be a part of the first Fighters Pass, Joker, Hero, Terry, and Byleth all have large fanbases outside of Smash. That is why the term "Smash Bubble" is a thing.

Hey there, Bandana Dee supporter who also believes that characters like (Captain) Toad/Dixie Kong are also fully deserving of being characters here. Just wanted to ask, do you guys think Byleth being 1st Party is good for us, or are you guys thinking what I'm thinking, that they purposely never gave Byleth a spirit, and thus spirits won't get promoted? Hoping to see what other 1st Party legacy supporters are thinking.
I think Geno is very likely going to be among the six newcomers for Fighters Pass Vol 2. However, he is the only spirit I see being "upgraded". There is a possibility it might happen with Rayman, but the Rabbids and Altair Mii costumes happening for the latest DLC update is not a good sign for him.

I just don't see Dixie making it in without a new DK game out and with Dixie being a protagonist in it. There is just no chance.
I agree. There needs to not only be a new DK title but also be a title where Dixie is one of the protagonists in it, and even then it might not help Dixie. Tropical Freeze was announced during Smash 4's development and it featured Dixie in a prominent role, and it did little for her because the project plan was already decided a year before Tropical Freeze was unveiled to the public. So another critical factor to be timing.

Dixie needs all the stars perfectly aligning for her to make it in.

It really is too bad Dixie didn't make it in Brawl as it feels like she missed her shot for a long time. Even when Diddy/Dixie as a tag team ala Ice Climbers didn't work, I don't know why he didn't work on Dixie separately like Diddy and make them individual characters. I assume Dixie had some kind of working model in Brawl before she was scraped, how else would Sakurai have known the tag team option of them like Ice Climbers was too hard to work with then?

In general it's the same deal for a lot of characters. For example had Wolf not made it in Brawl as a last minute character, I believe to this day Wolf would never be in Smash. He just got in by luck of the draw, and I feel like Dixie should have made it way back in the Brawl era as well.

I think the problem is outside of Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, all the other franchises "third characters" have trouble making it in without a lot of support. Even Kirby a franchise of Sakurai still only has 3 reps to this day since Brawl for example. Heh, remember back in the Brawl era people thought Sakurai was Kirby bias? Man pretty funny to think there was once a time people thought that.
There is stuff here I agree and disagree with.

I think though whatever ideas Sakurai had for Dixie are simply not there as a stand alone character. There was an opportunity to dust off those plans Sakurai had for Dixie for Smash 4 and Ultimate, but it simply did not happen. Ultimate did revisit scrapped ideas from prior games like Ditto being a Poke Ball Pokemon (he was originally intended to appear in Melee, and you can actually still get him to come out Pokeballs in the debug mode to that game). However, if there was a design document for Dixie in terms of animations and attacks, I think she would have already been revisited.

I think the ideas that Sakurai had in regards to Dixie in Smash were simply in the context of working with Diddy, or in relation to Diddy, Sakurai and his team only explored whether Diddy and Dixie could swap places in the middle of battle, and not much else in relation to Dixie.

In regards to Wolf, I agree. Wolf had perfect timing. The Starfox series ended up going into a ten year hiatus after Command, and Zero ended up performing poorly in sales. Wolf barely made Brawl's roster too, being the last character added to the game, which largely explains his weird animations in that title that caused anomalies like his arm detaching (Wolf ended up being the most re-worked of the cut veterans that returned for Ultimate for this reason).

Wave 5 of Donkey Kong Racing

Dixie makes her appearance!
Kudgel
Karate Kong
Timber

I really like that you brought back the kneepads for Dixie Kong, as well as the pose you gave her. I am personally hoping they bring her kneepads back if she ever does make it into Smash's roster.

Everytime I see a "Imagine showing this roster to Smash fans 10 years ago" meme with Ultimate's roster, I think "How odd it is they haven't added Dixie Kong yet".
2010 me would have been absolutely amazed and disbelief over Ultimate's present roster. Every veteran returning, many non-Nintendo gaming icons in, getting both Ridley and Dark Samus somehow, Banjo-Kazooie somehow making the roster. The only two omissions that would have seemed strange to me would be Dixie Kong and Toad (I would be scratching my head how Rosalina, Daisy, and Piranha Plant all made it in before he did).

Dixie Kong has one of the friendliest fanbases I’ve ever seen.

I found a similar relic too. I drew this a few years ago. Over time each character has gradually been added to Smash, with Dixie now being the only one left. Maybe 2020 will finally be the year.
This art is really adorable, especially Dixie Kong (probably one of cutest pieces of art I have ever seen for her, and that is saying something). It is amusing how all of those characters are now a part of the roster EXCEPT Dixie Kong. Unfortunately, I don't see Dixie joining the roster this year though.

Thank you for suggesting people to re-read my works on Dixie Kong, however, I do think the Byleth announcement does little for Dixie's prospects. I already stated earlier in this response that i was expecting a promo Nintendo character at some point for DLC (but I was not expecting it to happen for the first Fighters Pass).

It is definitely going to be an uphill battle for sure. The dynamics for the Smash Bubble have changed dramatically, and Nintendo characters are no longer a big draw for desires for one. Secondly, Dixie's last wholly new appearance was six years ago. This has now exceeded the gap of time from Mario Super Sluggers to Tropical Freeze, with the only time period being greater for a wholly new appearance for Dixie being from 1997's Donkey Kong Land 3 to 2004's Donkey Konga 2.

Dixie Kong has one of the friendliest fanbases I’ve ever seen.
I have said this before, but the fanbase the Dixie fanbase reminds me of the most is the Roy one. It was closeknit, and they really loved the character, but it was not obnoxious about it. They simply talked about why they liked Roy so much and how they hoped to see him return someday in Smash and the changes they would like to see with him.

Although Dixie Kong might need a massive bandwagon if she is to ever make it in, I do hope there is a way for her to make it in without needing one. Bandwagoners are pretty obnoxious supporters in general, and many times they have no real attachment to the character in question aside from being attached to the social atmosphere of the character they decided to bandwagon, and constantly fantasizing about the ecstasy and celebration there will be once that character gets confirmed. They are also very belligerent not just to detractors of the character, but also anyone that does not feel the same way about the character as they do.

For Dixie Kong, I still think the best way to sell the character is simply to suggest for people to play DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze. Experiencing those platformer masterpieces with Dixie goes a lot further than any arguments I could ever make.

On a sidenote, I recently made very detailed predictions on what I think is going to happen with Fighters Pass Vol 2. For any of you that appreciate my works and insight, I highly suggest for you to go over to that topic to read what my predictions are. I could be entirely wrong, but I think I will get a few of them right:
https://smashboards.com/threads/my-...-a-comprehensive-speculative-analysis.499304/

As I said in the topic, I am tiring of doing speculation, and I do think most likely that topic linked above will be the last major work I do in regards to Smash speculation. However, there are two more major posts I do plan to write for the Dixie thread in the future. There posts are not on the level of my Dixie essay I posted last year, but will be interesting nonetheless. I have no idea when I will get them out though.

Thank you for all of your support in this thread. Somehow this topic still gets some activity despite it having been six years since Dixie's last wholly new appearance, and her prospects as DLC in Ultimate being very low, as well as how little traffic there is for most non-Geno support topics these days. While Dixie might not have a ton of fans within the Smash Bros. fanbase these days, the ones she does have truly do appreciate her and think of new and fun ways to talk about her, whether through art, memes, or just general novel ways of speculating.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
A grappler doesn't usually need multiple command grab moves. What matters the most is the reward they get for getting in, grabbing the opponent's ass and deleting their health, I think :4bowser: and :4dk: fit this playstyle (Even if it wasn't the most healthy one), if :ultincineroar: or :ultridley: grab you in this game you are probably going to eat a lot of damage or even die, even :ultluigi: is 100% a grappler (And you all know why).

But I don't think Dixie would be a grappler. I imagine her as a heavy aerial-based character, having high disjoints aerials with her hair, a simple fireball-like projectile with the bubblegum gun and she should hover and move gracefully in the air holding the jump button after a double jump. That kind of character doesn't exist in the game yet I think. :ultpeach: floats but her playstyle isn't remotely similar to this description, and :ultjigglypuff: relies solely on close combat.

I suppose the grappler idea comes from Dixie using her hair to cargo throw, they could give her a cargo grab mechanic like DK, but I don't think it should be as strong as DK, otherwise she would be pretty busted. Like in the moveset I posted a while ago, maybe that cargo throw would be a great weapon countering lightweights but useless against characters heavier than Dixie herself.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So many baby mascots taking over marketing.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Well if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
its the 80s all over again with all these conveniently marketable baby versions of character!

you know what that means... where is baby dixie kong?

Top Bottom