• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Distant Planet: New Pikmin Stage

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
With the delay came another big update: a new Pikmin stage!

Amidst the announcement of another delay, there was a rather big update today with the unveiling of a new stage just for Pikmin, Distant Planet. The outlook could be similar to either Pikmin game, but judging by Sakurai's statement, it is from the original.
A bouncy stage? That is what Sakurai claims here. We have seen stages that collapse and reform, slide side to side or go up and down, but bouncy would bring a new terrain to the Smash Bros world. Also, we will have some ability to control items that come out, having to throw the pellets that fall from Pellet Posies around the stage at nearby Onions to get items. New strategies may be needed for those who like to use items.
The stage will also have weather conditions, although unfortunately it looks to have nothing to do with the weather channel. There will be rain during battles where if you are standing on the hill, except to slide your way down it. Good thing we can still grab on to the edge and hold on for dear life.
If all that was not enough, we have to deal with Red Bulborbs as well!

Sure they look cute and just a little bit

Link to original post: [drupal=465]Distant Planet: New Pikmin Stage[/drupal]

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
I'm shocked Dedede actually looks like he's TRYING to get eaten...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
love the stage. the only thing i wonder is whether the Bulborb will cause a KO or just a lot of damage.

anyway, great stage. too bad it came with bad delay stuff. no one will really take a lot of notice...

Spot4

Smash Rookie
I just love how organic and alive this stage seems. The flow of the water with the rain, the bouncy vines and the tiny leaf ledges. Even the Bulborbs are great! I'm a little sad that we've got another instant-death hazard on the stage, but hey.
Also, this stage seems to take care of people who complained about Olimar's size difference. While he is really tiny, at least this place makes everyone small!

DQP

Smash Ace
nice stage

i knew if there was going to be another delay, there'd be a good update to go along with it (but that's just a theory). glad to see another cool stage. i hate pikmin, but love the stage!!

regorris

Smash Apprentice
Ugh... another delay. I'm getting rather nervous about these delays... they indicate to me that the game might not be quite 'complete' come release due to pressure.

On the other hand, that stage is just jaw-droppingly fantastic, I mean pretty bearly begins to describe it!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
This is, visually, by far my favorite stage update. If this stage is open from the beginning, I'm playing this one first thing.
QFT.

This is perhaps the most impressive stage I've seen so far.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Great stage, although not the update I would want to go with a delay :(. They better have more characters than ever if this is what they do! I have to say, this delay was a slap on the face to American Smashers. Great stage though.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
This is by far my favorite stage announced so far! I was having such trouble trying to imagine a Pikmin stage. But this stage is GORGEOUS! Ahhh! But the delay....but the beauty...but the delay....-_-;;

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
I love this stage! Not only is it wonderful looking it also captures the uniqueness of Pikmin(okay so maybe it never rained in pikmin and their were no bouncey vines, but whateva) I also find it humorous how even though Olimar was resized to stand as tall as the other smashers, he is much smaller than he should be to a bulborb.
Compare
to

@XCWarrior even though you are correct on how it isn't an actual area from either Pikmin, it mostly resembles the Awakening Wood from Pikmin 2. The biggest hint is the cloaking burrow-nit* which only appeared in Pikmin 2. Another tip off is the foliage and the flower pots (there were multiple in AW, but scarce in tFoH). However since the Awakening Wood and the Forest of Hope are technically the same area in both games (just renamed because the region varied in terrain and climate), you could say Sakurai had both in mind.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I like the way everything looks. The weather changes add a nice mix to the stage and offer some strategic ways when playing on the stage. The only thing that sucks for people that have Wiis is the pushed released date to March 9th.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
ths was a great stage, it has the best graphics out of any stage yet, to bad the delay has outshadowed this great update.

Linkeatspie

Smash Apprentice
Cool-looking stage...Pikmin was one of my favorite series on Cube, so Olimar and this stage will probably be used quite a bit by me :D.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
The visual style is great. I think even if the stage is a bit annoying, I'll play on it just for the visual effects. Hopefully everyone won't be too small.

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
ths was a great stage, it has the best graphics out of any stage yet, to bad the delay has outshadowed this great update.
Depends on the Person, I think the Stage shows how much Effort is being put on the game and that the delay is going to make it all worth it, So Yeah this Stage Is Awesome and possibly will be one of my favorites.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The stage is one of the nicer ones. Too bad about the delay stealing its thunder.

It's actually odd to see so many different quirks in one stage, yet at the same time it seems kinda balanced., and pottentially legal for tournaments. For instance, while the clif on the side could be used to walk off on, it isn't attached to the main stage directly like Yoshi's Island. The rain also doesn't seem to have any bad effects on the players, unless they are on the cliffside. The Bulborb seems to be like a attacking version of the Turtle from Great Bay, but doesn't seem to be all that random, so it's not that much of a problem. I do wonder how the bouncy stage mechanic will work out.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Excellent stage. Fantastic Graphics and amazingly deep! The delay isn't really that big of a conscern for me as I remember waiting for Twilight Princess for a long *** time.

Japan = 1 week delay
Americas = 4 week delay
Europe = ???
Australlia = ???

Pikamander2

Smash Rookie
I like the update a bit, but it isn't one of my favorite ones.

People will hate me for saying this, but I want Brawl to be delayed until a few days before summer. I want to play so badly, but I have school....

Aeramis

Smash Ace
At first I didn't know what to think but after looking at it for awhile this looks like a great stage to add. BTW I love the idea of it raining on a stage while you fight.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I love this stage. It looks beautiful, and very unique. The updates have been so good lately that I honestly am not very upset about the delay. It will kinda suck having to wait 4 more weeks, but the fact that this game has been delayed not once but TWICE, whereas Melee was rushed but still excellent, means that this game will be the greatest thing ever. Delayed games are ALWAYS amazing when they come out. Just remember that.

Which brings me to this:

Ugh... another delay. I'm getting rather nervous about these delays... they indicate to me that the game might not be quite 'complete' come release due to pressure.
:confused: wtf, over?

D

Deleted member

Why does this remind me of LittleBigPlanet?

Oh, yeah:laugh:

Something I find ironic, though: Pikmin & Olimar was announced last week, and we get his stage today. However, Sonic was announced months ago, but we're still speculating his stage.

OMG, Sonic stage next Wednesday:p

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Oh, and this stage totally makes up for the delay. I don't know why nobody has mentioned it, but there is a TRAMAMPOLINE ON THIS STAGE.

B01001101ownz

Smash Apprentice
but it looked like in the scene where it's raining there are no pikmin behind olimar. Does that mean only blue ones will survive then? That sucks

aleps

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if you will be able to pluck pikmin while on top of the Bulborb?? lol

Top Bottom