• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

disrespectful tournament situations? (serious topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
alright, i was sorta following the pound V stream but i had to turn it off as soon as possible. there were some americans screaming into the mic like there would be no tomorrow and if you can hear such trashtalk THAT loud where the recording station is actually far away then how would you think does it distract when your in front of the huge crowd? i tried to lower the volume but it was still too loud and so i had to mute it completely. this is no way to play a set.

a very important aspect of this is that you cannot hear the sound of the tv. you can easily see how armada, for example, missed a couple of edgeguards on peepee because he didnt hear the illusion and its hard enough to play with peach. you cannot make mistakes or miss edgeguards or you will lose the only thing that peach is good at. when a complete crowd is rooting against you and tries to distract you as much as possible then how are you supposed to determine the better player? the problem also is that despite peepee was under the same circumstances, except that the crowd supported him a lot, he played a character that has a bigger window for mistakes so even if he cannot hear the sound he is still in an advantage. also i noticed that the way the peach-falco metagame evolved peach is now disadvantaged. if peach is at the edge she cannot come back without taking a lot of damage because falco can cover every option. but covering options doesnt make you the better player. its just learning theory by heart and that is not a mindgame. beside the unfair crowd that armada was confronted with, there was RC, a stage that is banned in pal. in my opinion this is another unfair tournament situation. a stagelist must be adapted to every character and their matchups and the pound stagelist was very bad for floaties. you have YS, RC, PS i bet even brinstar...its like you actually wanted a falco to win. and id really like to see how you guys play against armada if it where in europe, on a fair version, with a fair crowd, with a fair ruleset. i dont think peepee could luckily bring it back there.

otherwise very good play by armada. he played almost flawlessly, peach just cannot cover as much of falco as falco can cover of peach. it was an unwinnable matchup. and armada won 3-1 in WF where peepee only won 3-2 despite the crowd. this makes a 9-8 for armada all in all when keeping apex in mind. and emotions have to be taken into account too. armada was annoyed by the crowd and also he felt pretty down after dropping accidently the set because of the mentioned reasons so he was not motivated any longer to play the second set on full strenght.

i pointed this all out to make you clear that the tourney situations are unfair and the best player cant win unless you keep it more respectful. you could find a seperate room for the contrahents so no european is disadvantaged. this would make the whole tournament fairer. or do you think that its right what the crowd is doing? let the entrants play their game in peace. you dont have to interrupt just because of your favourite player. thats really an immature behaviour and should be prevented. what do you think about the tourney situations nowadays?

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I know everyone's like "lolpoundslap"

But there are legit points in there between the fanboyying. I hope someone actually addresses them instead of just calling him a troll.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Stop making johns for him. Having gone to so many tournaments, Armada should be fully aware of how grand finals turn out for every tournament. If he is so bothered by sound and the audience cheering against him, then he should prepare for it.

Granted, this is not why he lost, these are just some excuses you made up for him.

Melee is a spectator sport, you can't change that.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
Stop making johns for him. Having gone to so many tournaments, Armada should be fully aware of how grand finals turn out for every tournament. If he is so bothered by sound and the audience cheering against him, then he should prepare for it.

Granted, this is not why he lost, these are just some excuses you made up for him.

Melee is a spectator sport, you can't change that.
should prepare for it? how would you prepare for missing audio? can you sense the sound? i mean armada had still a pretty high edgeguarding rate but theres no doubt that he wouldnt miss so many illusions if they were in a more neutral situation. you can say im johning but if you think about it objectively you know im right.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
How do you prepare for missing audio? You learn to play with missing audio. Like I said, he should be fully aware of noise levels during grand finals, so it's his own fault for letting sound handicap him.

But once again, these are your johns, not his.

D20

Smash Lord
The sound was not magically less loud for Dr. Peepee. In addition, "fair" (especially in this game) is subjective. Furthermore, a "home-field advantage" exists in all sports... no surprises here. Any time that one travels to a tournament (whether it is America, Canada, or Europe), that player is going to have to adapt to the tournament rules and atmosphere. In short... no johns.

mers

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Armada would be annoyed by this thread.

Also, the only possibly legitimate complaint you have is about Rainbow Cruise. That stage is definitely a great stage for spacies in certain matchups. Not sure if it's ban-worthy, but I'd say it's more unbalanced than Mute City. I wasn't sure if that should have been banned either.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I don't think Armada needs someone to make johns for him. Even though several points are legit and I have my own reservations about the crowd's noise level and maturity, he knows what he's getting into every time and that he won't be playing on his home field. No Americans ever travel to Europe, so the only way to play them is to go to them and play their version, under their rules, with their crowd.

Whether the current crowd culture is a positive one is a legitimate question, but people in groups will always be dumb and good luck addressing them. When push comes to shove, everyone is anyonymous and no one feels responsible.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
How do you prepare for missing audio? You learn to play with missing audio. Like I said, he should be fully aware of noise levels during grand finals, so it's his own fault for letting sound handicap him.
ok im trying to talk sense to you one last time. if a tv lags do you have to adapt to the lag? or is it just an unfair situation? if for some reason the gamecube signal disappears and youre recovering, should you then be prepared to recover without screen? its the same in brawl with snakes down b. there are acks where you cannot hear his "now" anymore which makes it a bit more unfair to you. when falco recovers from outside the screen with a side b its actually needed to hear it because you cant see the up b well enough

0Room

Smash Lord
The sound was not magically less loud for Dr. Peepee. In addition, "fair" (especially in this game) is subjective. Furthermore, a "home-field advantage" exists in all sports... no surprises here. Any time that one travels to a tournament (whether it is America, Canada, or Europe), that player is going to have to adapt to the tournament rules and atmosphere. In short... no johns.
More or less this.
I understand that in Europe, people watch quietly and are respectful of the players, but a big part of American tournaments is the hype.
We love watching videos and getting into it, and really just getting excited about the game.
It keeps us going and interested in the game.

This was discussed in Hax vs Armada set at Pound 4 too, it's just part of the game here in America. That's literally just how it is.
As far as putting our stage selection under scrutiny, it's just a difference in philosophy [again] between the two of us. Americans like their CPs, [I wish there were more personally] and Europeans like their neutrals.
There's no right or wrong way to play the game. That's the beauty of it.
You can play it your way and I can play it mine, you just can't complain when you say "that's why" he won/lost.

Doser

Smash Ace
Stop feeding the troll, you guys should have learned by now. He most likely doesn't even live in Europe or give a damn about melee besides getting attention on the melee boards.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
ok im trying to talk sense to you one last time. if a tv lags do you have to adapt to the lag? or is it just an unfair situation? if for some reason the gamecube signal disappears and youre recovering, should you then be prepared to recover without screen? its the same in brawl with snakes down b. there are acks where you cannot hear his "now" anymore which makes it a bit more unfair to you. when falco recovers from outside the screen with a side b its actually needed to hear it because you cant see the up b well enough
Talk sense into me? I'm the sensible one, you are posting johns.

1) TV lag johns are legit, but how can you compare lag, something which NEVER happens in an international tournament, to audience sound levels, which ALWAYS happens in just about every large tournament? You just can't, your point is moot.

2) Gamecube signal disappears? That's a malfunction and obviously something you can't prepare for. You can prepare for the audience sound levels. Your point is moot.

And once again, for your last point. Armada knows that he won't be able to hear the side-b, so he has to prepare for it in another way.

Just stop now, you are just making Armada look bad just because you are too prideful to admit that PP won fair and square.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Talk sense into me? I'm the sensible one, you are posting johns.

1) TV lag johns are legit, but how can you compare lag, something which NEVER happens in an international tournament, to audience sound levels, which ALWAYS happens in just about every large tournament? You just can't, your point is moot.

2) Gamecube signal disappears? That's a malfunction and obviously something you can't prepare for. You can prepare for the audience sound levels. Your point is moot.

And once again, for your last point. Armada knows that he won't be able to hear the side-b, so he has to prepare for it in another way.

Just stop now, you are just making Armada look bad just because you are too prideful to admit that PP won fair and square.
Something being the status quo is a terrible argument. Try harder.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
my point is that you lose a good way to edgeguard only becase of something that must not necesserally be. you cant make up for no audio. as i said you cant sense the illusion. armada had to go for more prediction edgeguards to balance this out. you can still play the game without the audio but theres no doubt that it makes it harder for certain characters and thus makes it easier to recover for spacies.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Trust me, if you were in that room with that hype you would be screaming and yelling too. I was yelling and stuff just watching the stream.

Armada and PP both played there best. I would be happy for either of them to win. PP won big deal. America loves Armada too, nobody is hating on anyone. It's not like Armada got ***** by PP so I don't understand these johns.

I am so sick of poundslap's pointless threads.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
So like, yeah. spamming and stuff and don't see it getting any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom