• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 256 54.7%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 114 24.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I beat the timer!
New Pork City, Super Sudden Death, turn off the console, lots of Smash attacks, 2 controllers, Fox and Kirby doing their side smashes like 15 times or so

C. Falcon, Peach, and Ryu, all 3-4 minutes apart! Rock on!

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Only fox and kirby?
Need only single fight?
Not link?
I'm using them to cover all my bases in case it's moving distance.

But seriously, I'm unlocking after every brief battle, and I'm up to Simon.
Edit: ZSS. I seriously think it's Smash attacks or something. This is too consistent.

Last edited:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
I'm using them to cover all my bases in case it's moving distance.

But seriously, I'm unlocking after every brief battle, and I'm up to Simon.
Edit: ZSS. I seriously think it's Smash attacks or something. This is too consistent.
Is link okay?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hey, as long as this is pinned, can we somehow make the OP of this thread list the unlock criteria for every character? This is whether or not we get an official source like with Brawl and Smash 4 for unlocking characters, community-discovered methods are just as valid. That should be useful for everyone here.

Basically I'm picking up my pre-order and I just want to get the EarthBound duo and the third-party characters ASAP. Also my brother loves Ike so I'd want to get him quickly, too.

JaceTheGrayOne

Smash Rookie
So I'm trying this out and it's not working at all. I spent my first 20 minutes running around with 2 controllers, did the vs match and got Ness and for the last 20 minutes I've been quitting to home, closing, restarting and having unlocked anyone else.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I've just been playing Classic mode with various characters, and so far, every one has had a new fighter challenge me at the end.

I've even lost a couple of those fights. And when you do, they pop up later as an available rematch from the menu screen.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
So I'm trying this out and it's not working at all. I spent my first 20 minutes running around with 2 controllers, did the vs match and got Ness and for the last 20 minutes I've been quitting to home, closing, restarting and having unlocked anyone else.
I'm already on Ganondorf. Use this Super Sudden Death method, dude, it's working like a charm.

Update: At 60 unlocks in, it's starting to not work immediately at 3 stock. Gonna crank it to 10 stock.
Update 2: I mean, it's helping, but I almost feel lile it's a function of time, now. That, or the Smash Attack number requirement spikes at the last several unlocks. I just got Duck Hunt, and that took a considerable amount of play time (I'd say about 10 minutes) compared to just going through Classic. Sure been speedy up until #60.
Update 3: Use a Belmont on Dr. Mario. Ugh. Regardless, the deed is done, and I'm going to sleep. The Super Sudden Death setup I had going did eventually work on the last newcomers, it just took some more Stock.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So convoluted or not, my wish was granted.

By intentionally losing to Bayo when she first appears, she stays behind that character unlock door until I choose to challenge her again...which means I don’t have to have her in the game if I don’t want to....mwahahaha

So other than the original 8, I can essentially make my own roster?

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
So convoluted or not, my wish was granted.

By intentionally losing to Bayo when she first appears, she stays behind that character unlock door until I choose to challenge her again...which means I don’t have to have her in the game if I don’t want to....mwahahaha

So other than the original 8, I can essentially make my own roster?
I mean, you COULD...but I don't even dislike Miis/Dark Pit that much.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I got the game today about six hours ago and already have :ultwario: from only playing versus matches. No fighters unlocked from Classic Mode or World of Light, and I'm already about 40% done. It has not been a hassle even in the slightest to unlock fighters.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
It has not been a hassle but I enjoy it more than just putting every fighter up there. This way, I play the newly unlocked character once I unlocked him/her. When I had the full roster, I probably wouldn’t play 3/4.

PF9

Smash Lord
I think Amiibo unlocks weren't implemented because Sakurai didn't want us to "cheat" our way into unlocking characters. I mean it's not like we're placing ineligible players on college sports teams.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Amiibo unlocks weren't implemented because Sakurai didn't want us to "cheat" our way into unlocking characters. I mean it's not like we're placing ineligible players on college sports teams.
But what if he allowed it but...

Then as soon as you start the game the Challenger Approach thing happens and must defeat him/her. :troll:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Wait, the Best Buy leak was false?

Last edited:

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
I love the fact that I get to unlock almost everyone twice!
I did play a bit of WoL, but then my friends came by and we smashed a good time. My girlfriend was there so the next day we kept at it.
And now I'm replaying WoL and I can still enjoy unlocking everyone by myself !

Last edited:

MinorLeagueJohn

Smash Rookie
I think it's a fun system. I'm not using any exploits, but I'm trying to unlock my mains quickly. I use the chart so that I can see which Classic completion unlocks which character, but for someone like Wolf, who is so far down the chain, with fighters I hate playing, I'm just waiting until I unlock someone further down.

Unlocking fighters brings me back to the days of smashing with my brothers, freaking out when we'd get the siren and A CHALLENGER APPROACHES, the public shaming of losing to the challenger, etc. I'm glad they've kept the unlock system.

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
The VS Match order/line-up
Ness:ultness:
Zelda:ultzelda:
Bowser:ultbowser:
Pit:ultpit:
Inkling:ultinkling:
Villager:ultvillager:
Marth:ultmarth:
Young Link:ultyounglink:
Wii Fit Trainer:ultwiifittrainer:
Ice Climbers:ulticeclimbers:
Captain Falcon:ultfalcon:
Peach:ultpeach:
Ryu:ultryu:
Ike:ultike:
Jigglypuff:ultjigglypuff:
King K. Rool:ultkrool:
Sonic:ultsonic:
Simon:ultsimon:
Zero Suit Samus:ultzss:
Little Mac:ultlittlemac:
Isabelle:ultisabelle:
Shulk:ultshulk:
Lucina:ultlucina:
Wario:ultwario:
Ridley:ultridley:
Pokemon Trainer:ultpokemontrainer:
Lucario:ultlucario:
Daisy:ultdaisy:
Roy:ultroy:
King Dedede:ultkingdedede:
R.O.B.:ultrob:
Falco:ultfalco:
Luigi:ultluigi:
Pichu:ultpichu:
Lucas:ultlucas:
Ricther:ultrichter:
Diddy Kong:ultdiddy:
Meta Knight:ultmetaknight:
Snake:ultsnake:
Ganondorf:ultganondorf:
Corrin:ultcorrin:
Mega Man:ultmegaman:
Bayonetta:ultbayonetta:
Toon Link:ulttoonlink:
Rosalina & Luma:ultrosalina:
Incineroar:ultincineroar:
Shiek:ultsheik:
Olimar:ultolimar:
Pac-Man:ultpacman:
Dark Samus:ultdarksamus:
Wolf:ultwolf:
Mr. Game & Watch:ultgnw:
Robin:ultrobin:
Dark Pit:ultdarkpit:
Cloud:ultcloud:
Duck Hunt:ultduckhunt:
Ken:ultken:
Greninja:ultgreninja:
Chrom:ultchrom:
Mewtwo:ultmewtwo:
Bowser Jr.:ultbowserjr:
Dr. Mario:ultdoc:
Palutena:ultpalutena:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone know how you're supposed to unlock all of the music? Is there any way to do it quickly? This shop system is so frustrating. Why can't we just have a list of all the music with prices. Why are we still using this incomprehensible shop system from Smash4.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Does anyone know how you're supposed to unlock all of the music? Is there any way to do it quickly? This shop system is so frustrating. Why can't we just have a list of all the music with prices. Why are we still using this incomprehensible shop system from Smash4.
Well besides the shop, the only other way I have been able to unlock music is through chests in World of Light, and for all we know, the songs in that mode may only be obtainable there. I do like that a good chunk of tyhe music is unlocked from the start, but favorites have been locked off from me early on such as Mute City (Brawl) which thankfully I found in the shop on my first day.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well besides the shop, the only other way I have been able to unlock music is through chests in World of Light, and for all we know, the songs in that mode may only be obtainable there. I do like that a good chunk of tyhe music is unlocked from the start, but favorites have been locked off from me early on such as Mute City (Brawl) which thankfully I found in the shop on my first day.
I've completed World of Light. 100%. I also did a couple of the challenges that have music rewards. So... all I have left is the terrible shop. Is there any way to like, game the shop or something, make it restock faster. Something? Like, I still have a good 100 songs to unlock.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I've completed World of Light. 100%. I also did a couple of the challenges that have music rewards. So... all I have left is the terrible shop. Is there any way to like, game the shop or something, make it restock faster. Something? Like, I still have a good 100 songs to unlock.
I have no idea how to exploit the shop myself. I want to know too because I love my tunes as well.

At least it's better than randomly dropped CDs though that only appear when items are on. Right?

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I find classic mode less irritating than the reset method

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I have no idea how to exploit the shop myself. I want to know too because I love my tunes as well.

At least it's better than randomly dropped CDs though that only appear when items are on. Right?
Yes. It is better, But that's like saying a stone being thrown at your head is better than being shot. I mean, yeah it is better. But it's still not good.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
The "lose to friends in multiplayer so they can fight the challengers" flaw applies to lots of people. Also ensures that you can never feel safe playing as anyone but your main and never pick Random.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The "lose to friends in multiplayer so they can fight the challengers" flaw applies to lots of people. Also ensures that you can never feel safe playing as anyone but your main and never pick Random.
Seriously people, just play through World of Light on easy. It’ll take like, a day and a half but you’ll unlock everybody fairly easily.

StaticXY

Smash Rookie
You can play whoever in Smash, and select your main/a good matchup in the rematch in the Challenger's Approach section.

Dan

Smash Lord
At what point did they realize they went overboard on this? They obviously didn't. What a pain in the ass. I believe I only have the final three left, but what philosophy changed where they went from so few unlockable characters in Wii U to going obscenely overboard for this game? It should've just been the newcomers, and maybe Cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta.

PF9

Smash Lord
Using the Classic Mode Unlock Chart I've created the following chains:

Pikachu->Villager->Shulk->R.O.B.->Mega Man->Isabelle->Mr. Game & Watch->Pichu->Sonic->Bayonetta->Little Mac->Ike->Luigi->Roy->Dr. Mario->Olimar->Bowser->Pokemon Trainer->Rosalina & Luma->King Dedede->Sheik->Greninja->Diddy Kong->Duck Hunt

Link->King K. Rool->Ice Climbers->Simon->Meta Knight->Snake->Young Link->Richter->Toon Link

Samus->Inkling->Wii Fit Trainer->Pit->Incineroar->Dark Samus->Cloud->Wario->Dark Pit

Yoshi->Lucario->Marth->Ryu->Ganondorf->Lucina->Ridley->Chrom->Ken

Kirby->Ness->Jigglypuff->Pac-Man->Zelda->Robin->Corrin->Lucas->Palutena

Fox->Captain Falcon->Zero Suit Samus->Peach->Falco->Daisy->Bowser Jr.->Wolf->Mewtwo

The first chain gets you 23 characters, because multiple characters unlock Sonic and 2 unlock Bowser - therefore, you can complete all these chains without having to use Mario or Donkey Kong or the last characters in each chain.

Last edited:

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
Do the My Music settings just not apply to online matches in this?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want to unlock the Norfair theme, but i can’t find it anywhere.

Top Bottom