• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 256 54.7%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 114 24.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
The unlocking process is a minor hurdle for TOs in exchange for nostalgia and early game hype especially for players new to Smash Bros. I have already explained that it is possible for TOs to walk around the metaphorical hurdle.
No matter how small of a hurdle it is, it's still one that is a nuisance. The time spent doing that can be better spent organizing seeds and whatnot. And if there's a way to exploit the unlocking system, it likely means there's an issue with that.

Oh and bringing up DLC doesn't even make sense when all you do with DLC is buy them.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Um... I seem to have encountered a glitch in the forums...

E85B3D32-5AB7-4839-B86D-17408A7D7D5E.png

C9E757AE-0BBE-4B42-AEC0-1E6038BB28F4.gif

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
And if there's a way to exploit the unlocking system, it likely means there's an issue with that.
Well it's not fun to exploit the system. It is one massive grind, but it is more efficient. Take your pick. People have been doing this since versus matches became an option for unlocking fighters. Besides, the benefits of having a system like this outweigh the cons. It eases people into the game, it gives nostalgia Smash 4 failed to provide, and it isn't too long of a process to do it the normal way. Looking at Smash Melee when I say that last one.

Sorry, but not everyone can get exactly what they want.
The time spent doing that can be better spent organizing seeds and whatnot.
What time does the TO need? Asking a few people in the local community if you can borrow their Nintendo Switch for the afternoon.

How long do you think that actually takes?
Um... I seem to have encountered a glitch in the forums...

View attachment 181465
Are you refering to the poll which goes in favor of "Yes" or the fact that you ignored Crazy Hand 2001?

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
From what I hear, there's two extreme ways to unlock all the characters in the game:
One method takes up to 11-12 hours (playing with the 10 minute timer) while the other takes 2-3 hours (bypassing the 10 minute timer). Either way, if you think about it, it won't actually take long to get a Switch ready for a tournament setup. Yes, it'll take longer to unlock characters than in Smash 4, but the important thing this time around is that you don't have to unlock stages, nor do you have to route out the fastest way to unlock everything for a tournament setup (which can add to the time). Once you unlock all the characters, you're practically set.
Unless Squad Strike, Final Smash Meter, Stamina Mode, Stock Timer, or some other in-game option tournaments decide to use is locked behind an unlock condition, I don't see this being a huge nuisance in the long run (imagine if we didn't have the ability to copy save data to another memory card in Melee... Oh boy). In fact, look at what Xanadu Games is doing at game launch:

A free event dedicated to unlocking every character in the game. After this event, they'll hold a tournament the very next day on 48 setups, and given the range of time to unlock characters is from 2-12 hours, this is logistically feasible. Unlike Smash 4 where someone could forget to bring in a tournament ready setup with Smashville or Dream Land unlocked, there's no excuse not to have an Ultimate setup in a week or less (perhaps even D1 if you're super dedicated to getting everything unlocked ASAP).

Last edited:

BigMac1304

Smash Apprentice
I personally think it would have been a good idea for Nintendo to allow all characters instantly unlocked when you buy the Fighters Pass.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Are you refering to the poll which goes in favor of "Yes" or the fact that you ignored Crazy Hand 2001?
Neither. I didn't even mention the poll, and I ignored Crazy Hand 2001 because his posts tend to drive me into a frothing rage that leads to me getting infracted. I was referring to page 11 showing up and being completely empty.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
What time does the TO need? Asking a few people in the local community if you can borrow their Nintendo Switch for the afternoon.

How long do you think that actually takes?
I don't think that many people own a switch. But even then they may not want you to use it.
However I see people get upset about it on gamefaqs a lot and I must say they should've just made more characters starters and make stages unlockable.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I don't think that many people own a switch. But even then they may not want you to use it.
However I see people get upset about it on gamefaqs a lot and I must say they should've just made more characters starters and make stages unlockable.
What are you even on about?

Of course not that many people on own a Switch when you’re looking at all 7.5 billion humans, but literally everyone who cares enough about Smash Ultimate will own a Switch or will at least share one with family. If you really that there are that many dedicated Smash Ultimate fans who don’t own a Switch, you’re insane.

And just because some people may not want to give theirs up doesn’t mean all of them won’t be willing to. As I said before, it’s a matter of who is willing to let the TOs use their Switch. Not if someone will let the TOs use theirs.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ofcoarse not to many people have it probably like 20 millionths have it and that’s out of what 7 billion people

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I personally think it would have been a good idea for Nintendo to allow all characters instantly unlocked when you buy the Fighters Pass.
Unlock by amiibo and all characters available in Tournament Mode seem like they would have been fair.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Don't you think the unlock system is terribly managed in the first place?

Everyone who wanted characters to be unlocked probably wanted the unlocks to be challenging in the first place like what Melee had. The unlocks aren't very challenging.

Everyone who wants to quickly unlock all the characters has to slog through lots of gameplay just to do so, which is time better spent playing multiplayer.

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
Once again.
You can play multiplayer to unlock characters.
Fixed.

To answer your other point, I want unlocks and they are perfect : you can do it by playing Smash matches, Classic or World of Light.
WoL is the "intended way" and is as challenging as it needs to. You're talking about Melee unlocks but that was probably the stupidest thing in Melee.
For those who don't want challenge, there's multiplayer smash.

Then again, I've already answered that to the point you've already tried to make.
In several different threads.
So I suggest you stop circling the same two arguments and hate on the game on your own, while not actively trying to discourage any player that actually likes it.
Thanks.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
This sounds like some great planning. My plan will probably be unlock everyone overnight, as I won’t have time to get the game until the afternoon.
I'm excited!

My routine will include extensive use of the Classic Mode, but it is merely one of many activities I have planned for a daily schedule. It's a "1st Phase" method for getting hands on with all characters of the roster. This will take me months to complete because the finish line for this is Intensity 9.0 for all characters. I'm intentionally starting at something like 7.0, and I'll only be doing one Classic Mode run per day (not counting day 1), changing the theme (character) of my training daily. So while Classic Mode will be used (for a time) as a way of playing as all other characters, I'll have other activities within that same day for the same character. If today is Mario's day, then that's a run through Classic Mode. That's some time in Training Mode with emphasis on parry practice against his moveset. That's gathering kill move data against him. That's analyzing my replays (as WFT and Inkling) against him. And more, all in the same day!

I'll divide something like 4 hours (2 at morning, 2 at night) for these activities. With the next day comes the next character. The cycle will just continue, gradually modifying activities as some are completed. In time, I'll be training against more than one character daily. If I'm no longer needing to spend time on gathering my kill move data for WFT and Inkling, then that's time I have to work against a second character in the same day. Once I've finished CM on 9.0 with all characters at some point next year, I can replace that activity with a shortened version ("2nd Phase") in which I use the target characters in Training Mode against a Level 9 of MY characters. Unlike 1st Phase, 2nd Phase remains as a permanent staple in my daily training. So it's a lot to take on at first, but some activities will stay (such as online play, match analysis and tactics development, etc), and some will go (kill data gathering, classic mode runs, etc.)

I am going hard with this ****, man!
and I'm still going to suck after all of it :estatic:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
User was warned for this post; trolling
Then again, I've already answered that to the point you've already tried to make.
In several different threads.
So I suggest you stop circling the same two arguments and hate on the game on your own, while not actively trying to discourage any player that actually likes it.
Thanks.
Something inside me thought this wasn't going to be "Why Paid Online" V2, but he has already began to repeat points, and I didn't even notice there was another active thread all along. I've just about had enough of this circle of repeated arguments.

Craft_Mesa

Smash Rookie
My main problem with the unlock system is actually the starting roster, 11 characters, (Including Mii fighters,) and none of them are characters I enjoy playing,

it's lucky that I can unlock Shulk so quickly, otherwise, I would've never been able to unlock most of the cast, seeing as you have to beat them in a match.

even then, I have to beat Shulk as Pikachu, again, a character I don't like playing as.

this whole thing is just a Ness mess, to be honest.

Edit: actually, now that I think about it, what happens if I fail to beat a character? do I have to rewait the ten minutes/ reclear classic mode? or do I just have to go through another match?

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Edit: actually, now that I think about it, what happens if I fail to beat a character? do I have to rewait the ten minutes/ reclear classic mode? or do I just have to go through another match?
I don't know how it'll exactly work, but I'm sure it'll generally be like the previous Smash games in that you just have to do another match to fight them again.

SonicMario

Smash Master
A door will appear on the menu somewhere where you can retry at it. Though it's unknown if it will always be there immediately. If not, play a vs. match or two and check again.

Last edited:

Craft_Mesa

Smash Rookie
A door will appear on the menu somewhere where you can retry at it. Though it's unknown if it will always be there immediately. If not, play a vs. match or two and check again.
The Door aesthetic would probably look cool, but its inconsistency is kind of a letdown.

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
My main problem with the unlock system is actually the starting roster, 11 characters, (Including Mii fighters,) and none of them are characters I enjoy playing
Actually, the Mii Fighters have to be unlocked as well ;)

I don't have this issue though, since I mostly play on random.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Sheik unlocks Greninja confirmed!

Edit: Actually, Link additionally unlocks Simon Belmont if you complete Classic Mode with King K. Rool already unlocked. So here's the stats that we know of so far:

1. Mario: Unlocks Sonic first, and then Pokémon Trainer.
2. Donkey Kong: Unlocks Pokémon Trainer first, and then Bowser Jr.
3. Link: Unlocks King K. Rool first, and then Simon Belmont.
4. Samus: Unlocks Inklings first, and then Isabelle; unlocks Dark Samus on 2P.
4e. Dark Samus: Unlocks Cloud.
5. Yoshi: Unlocks Lucario first and then Chrom (?).
6. Kirby: Unlocks Ness.
7. Fox: Unlocks Captain Falcon.
8. Pikachu: Unlocks Villager first (presumably), and then Shulk.
9. Luigi: Unlocks R.O.B.
10. Ness: Unlocks Jigglypuff first, and then Pac-Man.
11. Captain Falcon: Unlocks Falco first, and then Zero Suit Samus.
12. Jigglypuff: Presumably unlocks Pac-Man.
13. Peach: Unlocks Falco first, and then Wolf.
14. Bowser: Unlocks Pokémon Trainer.
15. Ice Climbers: Unlocks King K. Rool first, and then Simon Belmont.
16. Sheik: Unlocks Greninja.
17. Zelda: Unlocks Robin.
19. Pichu: Unlocks Rosalina and Duck Hunt (not sure in which order yet).
20. Falco: Unlocks Peach first, then Daisy, and then Bowser Jr.
21. Marth: Unlocks Ryu first, and then Lucina, and then Roy and Ike.
21e. Lucina: Unlocks Ridley.
22. Young Link: Unlocks Palutena and Richter Belmont (again, not sure in which order yet).
25. Roy: Unlocks Dr. Mario.
27. Meta Knight: Unlocks Snake
28e. Dark Pit: Unlocks Diddy Kong
30. Wario: Unlocks Dark Pit and Mega Man (not sure in which order yet).
31. Snake: Unlocks Richter Belmont.
32. Ike: Unlocks Luigi.
33-35. Pokémon Trainer: Unlocks King Dedede first and then Rosalina.
37. Lucas: Unlocks Palutena.
38. Sonic: Unlocks Bayonetta.
39. King Dedede: Unlocks Sheik.
42. R.O.B.: Unlocks Mr. Game & Watch.
47. Wii Fit Trainer: Unlocks Incineroar.
48. Rosalina: Unlocks Greninja.
49. Little Mac: Unlocks Roy, Ike, and Olimar (not sure of the order here, either).
57. Shulk: Unlocks Isabelle.
59. Duck Hunt: Unlocks Ken.
60. Ryu: Unlocks Lucina, Ganondorf, Palutena, and Ken (again, not sure of the order).
60e. Ken: Unlocks Lucas.
61. Cloud: Unlocks Wario.
62. Corrin: Unlocks Lucas.
63. Bayonetta: Unlocks Little Mac.
64. Inkling: Unlocks Wii Fit Trainer.
65. Ridley: Unlocks Chrom.
66. Simon: Unlocks Young Link.
67. King K. Rool: Unlocks Ice Climbers first, and then Dr. Mario.
68. Isabelle: Unlocks Pichu.

Also worth noting as well that once all the primary and secondary conditions have been fulfilled, trying to unlock anybody else with that character will simply unlock the next character in line in their very primary path. And once everybody on said path is unlocked, they won't unlock anything else anymore unless they have a 2P unlock condition (meaning until characters like Inkling, Isabelle, Wii Fit Trainer, and Incineroar are all unlocked, Samus will not even bother to try to unlock Dark Samus on 1P).

Lastly, there seems to be some conditioning behind some possible unlockable fighters. Because somebody actively trying to unlock Chrom have found themselves unlocking other fighters beforehand, such as Roy, Ike, and Lucina. So this might suggest that Chrom simply won't even appear as an unlockable fighter until certain conditions are successfully met. Same thing might apply to other echo fighters, as well as fighters with a personal history with other fighters. So it wouldn't surprise me if the game forces you down certain paths before you unlock other fighters.

And that's all I have for the time being. It seems like most, if not all of the original 8 have primary, secondary, and 2P conditions for unlocking characters. And I think it's safe to say that a large portion of the unlockable fighters may have these additions as well. This could perhaps explain why many fighters like Mewtwo, Meta Knight, or strangest of all, Zelda and Pit have yet to be uncovered via Classic Mode. It's also worth noting too that people have yet to even play Classic Mode with the intent of unlocking characters with characters like Villager or Lucario, so a lot of my information remains incomplete.

I might limit my playtime of Smash Ultimate to academic research. But it seems that many fighters will have up to three possible fighters to unlock. And many other low priority fighters may in fact require some secondary conditions to be fulfilled before they can successfully be unlocked. This in turn could explain why characters like Bowser and Mewtwo have yet to appear, especially since both characters are the final boss in quite a few Classic Modes. Maybe you have to clear Classic Mode with every fighter that encounters these enemies as the final boss before they themselves become available. These are just theories, but considering just how low priority a lot of these fightesr are, it seems one will have to do a lot more than just clearing Classic Mode in order to unlock certain fighters.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Once again.
You can play multiplayer to unlock characters.
Fixed.
Takes quite a lot of time, there's a stupid 10 minute timer for no good reason and if only one player can participate in the battle then it doesn't really solve the problem of many people sitting around watching one person play.

Also World of Light doesn't really look that challenging and it's as long as SSE, which was unenjoyable for many reasons. Melee had idiotic unlock methods but everyone besides Mewtwo was fun to do.

I did exaggerate how bad the unlocking system is, but it's not really something people should have to go through nowadays. As for paid online, all Nintendo does is lock you behind content and not improve that content for no good reason.

I made a post which was locked for no good reason here that made the unlocks more fun to go through compared to what we have now.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
And that's exactly why I'm doing Vs. first before having to resort to Classic. Would rather have a re-attempt in a minute or two as opposed to 10.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
This is pretty cool. Allows players to rematch those who they failed against so they don't have to wait if they really liked that fighter.

I can see myself using this depending on who I meet the unlock conditions for first.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Takes quite a lot of time, there's a stupid 10 minute timer for no good reason and if only one player can participate in the battle then it doesn't really solve the problem of many people sitting around watching one person play.

Also World of Light doesn't really look that challenging and it's as long as SSE, which was unenjoyable for many reasons. Melee had idiotic unlock methods but everyone besides Mewtwo was fun to do.
Yeah, can you please just stop complaining about things literally no one here cares about? It’s bad for the community, especially when you keep repeating the same things over and over. Also, what’s so bad about a 10 minute timer when you could play through it with friends to pass the time? I understand the unlock matches are limited to one person, but usually they only last a minute or two, so is the game the problem or is it just your impatience? Even classic (allegedly) has a 2p option, so don’t complain about problems that don’t exist.(unless you literally have no friends, which would be pretty sad.)

C3CC

Smash Lord
PLEASE, if someone knows, post it without any potential World of Light spoilers.

I found this website: https://rankedboost.com/super-smash-bros/mewtwo/

For example, it says that to unlock Mewtwo, you have to "Play Daisy" in VS Mode. What does that even mean? Can't I just use any other character?

Sheik unlocks Greninja confirmed!

Edit: Actually, Link additionally unlocks Simon Belmont if you complete Classic Mode with King K. Rool already unlocked. So here's the stats that we know of so far:

1. Mario: Unlocks Sonic first, and then Pokémon Trainer.
2. Donkey Kong: Unlocks Pokémon Trainer first, and then Bowser Jr.
3. Link: Unlocks King K. Rool first, and then Simon Belmont.
4. Samus: Unlocks Inklings first, and then Isabelle; unlocks Dark Samus on 2P.
4e. Dark Samus: Unlocks Cloud.
5. Yoshi: Unlocks Lucario first and then Chrom (?).
6. Kirby: Unlocks Ness.
7. Fox: Unlocks Captain Falcon.
8. Pikachu: Unlocks Villager first (presumably), and then Shulk.
9. Luigi: Unlocks R.O.B.
10. Ness: Unlocks Jigglypuff first, and then Pac-Man.
11. Captain Falcon: Unlocks Falco first, and then Zero Suit Samus.
12. Jigglypuff: Presumably unlocks Pac-Man.
13. Peach: Unlocks Falco first, and then Wolf.
14. Bowser: Unlocks Pokémon Trainer.
15. Ice Climbers: Unlocks King K. Rool first, and then Simon Belmont.
16. Sheik: Unlocks Greninja.
17. Zelda: Unlocks Robin.
19. Pichu: Unlocks Rosalina and Duck Hunt (not sure in which order yet).
20. Falco: Unlocks Peach first, then Daisy, and then Bowser Jr.
21. Marth: Unlocks Ryu first, and then Lucina, and then Roy and Ike.
21e. Lucina: Unlocks Ridley.
22. Young Link: Unlocks Palutena and Richter Belmont (again, not sure in which order yet).
25. Roy: Unlocks Dr. Mario.
27. Meta Knight: Unlocks Snake
28e. Dark Pit: Unlocks Diddy Kong
30. Wario: Unlocks Dark Pit and Mega Man (not sure in which order yet).
31. Snake: Unlocks Richter Belmont.
32. Ike: Unlocks Luigi.
33-35. Pokémon Trainer: Unlocks King Dedede first and then Rosalina.
37. Lucas: Unlocks Palutena.
38. Sonic: Unlocks Bayonetta.
39. King Dedede: Unlocks Sheik.
42. R.O.B.: Unlocks Mr. Game & Watch.
47. Wii Fit Trainer: Unlocks Incineroar.
48. Rosalina: Unlocks Greninja.
49. Little Mac: Unlocks Roy, Ike, and Olimar (not sure of the order here, either).
57. Shulk: Unlocks Isabelle.
59. Duck Hunt: Unlocks Ken.
60. Ryu: Unlocks Lucina, Ganondorf, Palutena, and Ken (again, not sure of the order).
60e. Ken: Unlocks Lucas.
61. Cloud: Unlocks Wario.
62. Corrin: Unlocks Lucas.
63. Bayonetta: Unlocks Little Mac.
64. Inkling: Unlocks Wii Fit Trainer.
65. Ridley: Unlocks Chrom.
66. Simon: Unlocks Young Link.
67. King K. Rool: Unlocks Ice Climbers first, and then Dr. Mario.
68. Isabelle: Unlocks Pichu.

Also worth noting as well that once all the primary and secondary conditions have been fulfilled, trying to unlock anybody else with that character will simply unlock the next character in line in their very primary path. And once everybody on said path is unlocked, they won't unlock anything else anymore unless they have a 2P unlock condition (meaning until characters like Inkling, Isabelle, Wii Fit Trainer, and Incineroar are all unlocked, Samus will not even bother to try to unlock Dark Samus on 1P).

Lastly, there seems to be some conditioning behind some possible unlockable fighters. Because somebody actively trying to unlock Chrom have found themselves unlocking other fighters beforehand, such as Roy, Ike, and Lucina. So this might suggest that Chrom simply won't even appear as an unlockable fighter until certain conditions are successfully met. Same thing might apply to other echo fighters, as well as fighters with a personal history with other fighters. So it wouldn't surprise me if the game forces you down certain paths before you unlock other fighters.

And that's all I have for the time being. It seems like most, if not all of the original 8 have primary, secondary, and 2P conditions for unlocking characters. And I think it's safe to say that a large portion of the unlockable fighters may have these additions as well. This could perhaps explain why many fighters like Mewtwo, Meta Knight, or strangest of all, Zelda and Pit have yet to be uncovered via Classic Mode. It's also worth noting too that people have yet to even play Classic Mode with the intent of unlocking characters with characters like Villager or Lucario, so a lot of my information remains incomplete.

I might limit my playtime of Smash Ultimate to academic research. But it seems that many fighters will have up to three possible fighters to unlock. And many other low priority fighters may in fact require some secondary conditions to be fulfilled before they can successfully be unlocked. This in turn could explain why characters like Bowser and Mewtwo have yet to appear, especially since both characters are the final boss in quite a few Classic Modes. Maybe you have to clear Classic Mode with every fighter that encounters these enemies as the final boss before they themselves become available. These are just theories, but considering just how low priority a lot of these fightesr are, it seems one will have to do a lot more than just clearing Classic Mode in order to unlock certain fighters.

Wait.

So let me get this straight. Let's say I want to unlock Rosalina. All I have to do is play a single VS Match using Pichu for her to appear?

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
All character can be unlocked through:
-VS battles
-World of Light
-Classic Mode

You can use just one of these or a combination of any of the three to unlock every single character.

Edit: relating to the question in the OP you can (SPOILERS) use classic mode as one character to unlock another character. Then use this new unlocked character through classic to unlock another character and so forth. For example (SPOILERS) you can play through Link's classic to unlock K. Rool, then K. Rool's classis to unlock Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Yeah, can you please just stop complaining about things literally no one here cares about? It’s bad for the community, especially when you keep repeating the same things over and over. Also, what’s so bad about a 10 minute timer when you could play through it with friends to pass the time? I understand the unlock matches are limited to one person, but usually they only last a minute or two, so is the game the problem or is it just your impatience? Even classic (allegedly) has a 2p option, so don’t complain about problems that don’t exist.(unless you literally have no friends, which would be pretty sad.)
It's more of people having to rely on their friends winning the match. It gets redundant having only one person play that match and I usually lose to my friends on purpose so they can fight the challengers. How much time each battle wouldn't really be that long, but each minute adds up and uses up too much time.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
I'd just like to say that I have little sympathy for TOs trying to run events on Saturday. For crying out loud, give everyone a week to settle in. Host gatherings instead of tournaments.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong unlocks Bowser first, while both fighters unlock Pokémon Trainer. Now we know the mystery behind Bowser's unlock condition!

Edit: Pikachu unlocks Villager first confirmed.

Edit 2: Here's what your roster will look like after clearing Classic Mode with each of the Original 8:

Ultimate Roster (Unlocks 1).png

Mario > Sonic > > Bayonetta > Little Mac > Ike > Luigi > R.O.B. > Mr. Game & Watch
Donkey Kong > Bowser > Pokémon Trainer
Link > King K. Rool > Ice Climbers > Simon > Young Link > Richter > Toon Link
Samus > Inkling > Wii Fit Trainer > Incineroar
Yoshi > Lucario
Kirby > Ness > Jigglypuff > Pac-Man
Fox > Captain Falcon > Zero Suit Samus
Pikachu > Villager > Shulk > Isabelle > Pichu

Added in some bonus names based off of what has been revealed so far.

Edit 3: It is now confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt. Yoshi unlocks Lucario first and foremost.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)

And here it is

The order you get everybody on run uno for each in classic

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
I'm going to test a method to unlock characters through VS. Mode when I get the game

It goes like this:

1. Set items to very high with only Bunny Hood enabled
2. Set length of match to 1 minute and damage ratio to 2.0
3. Choose Great Cave Offensive as the stage
4. Choose the character that I want to use to unlock a specific character (I want to unlock each character with someone specific, usually a character that has some sort of relation to who I am unlocking)
5. Choose my opponent and set their damage to 300
6. Record a KO, then move around the stage as much as possible in the minute timeframe, wearing Bunny Hoods constantly will allow you to cover more distance quicker
7. When time is up, I will hopefully be declared the winner of the match.
8. Attempt to unlock character by beating the character, hopefully I will succeed. If not, go to Challenger Approaching in the menu, until character is unlocked
9. Exit out of the game, then re-enter.
10. Repeat steps 1-9 until everyone is unlocked

If this doesn't work, I'll just play World of Light

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
PF9, people have been getting Challenger Approaching when SDing, so don't fret to much on sending them flying (since no one's saying that that's counted). If you want to experiment, that's fine, but I'd think it'd be better with someone that wasn't trying to launch fighters, but just focusing on running.

And on that note, I guess I'd be that control, so I'll report how my experience went. Still think the strategy guide would say something.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I hear d something about

The CPI handicap level gets hogher and higher as you unlock more characters
Maybe if it's a slow buildup. That last fighter still needs to be accessible to the majority of players though, so I wouldn't expect much difficulty increase, personally (especially when you think about the difficulty level of recent games like MK8D or SMO).

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Any new info about unlocking whole characters?
I need info about 10 mins cool down between unlock.

I can't unlock!!

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I've been having good luck on Super Sudden Death doing a lot of Smash Attacks based on info from Reddit, but I don't think I can bypass the 10 minute timer

Top Bottom