• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 256 54.7%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 114 24.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sakurai did say how you unlock characters will be "steamlined" which means easy. So I'm assuming as the above said. You unlock Dark Samus by beating Classic as Samus and then someone like Peach by playing on a Mario stage.

Personally again I'd have it go both ways. Easy or hard that way if people wants characters right away they'll do the easy route but otherwise want a challenge like Melee was go that route.

As for the amiibo thing if true I'm only unlocking Bowser, Duck Hunt, King Dedede, King K. Rool, Ridley and Rosalina & Luma. Assuming I find them that is. Everyone else I'll unlock properly.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I feel like their going to keep fighting the the challenger that has approached around, considering that’s a staple of the series at this point. The only question now is how we will unlock everything. My guess is either every 5-10 matches + one or two other methods for each fighter, but do it better than smash 4 (every fighter was unlocked in less than two hours in that game quite easily, which made it very boring)

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Also, I think it would be nice if there was a screen that actually showed you the requirements of the characters and looked a lot like the challenges. You unlock one character, and you get a hint on how to unlock the next.
That would be a super cool feature, especially if they don’t even tell you who they just say “Beat classic mode as Luigi and Ridley” or something like that.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm unlocking all my characters by amiibo. Sorry I want the roster ASAP and since I own an amiibo of most of the cast (it also helps that few of the characters being added have amiibo already like Daisy, Inklings, Isabelle, Chrom).

Characters that I own and can unlock on launch day are Mario, Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Rosalina, Ganondorf, Inklings, Daisy, Isabelle, Villager, Chrom, Lucina, Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Corrin, Olimar, Fox, Falco, Zero Suit, Samus, Captain falcon, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Ness, Lucas, Jigglypuff, Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit, Little Mac, Yoshi, Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, Charizard (assuming he works for Trainer), Greninja, Sonic, Wolf, Ridley (since these 2 release on launch), and Shulk.

Only characters I will have to unlock manually are the 3rd parties (except Sonic), Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B, Ice Climbers, Young Link, King K.Rool (really wish his amiibo was coming at launch), and Dark Samus out of the characters we know so far.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I’d enjoy if there were 2 ways to unlock characters.
1. no. Of matches played
2. Some obscure method like finishing a level in adventure mode with 2 seconds on the clock.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I hope that there is some easy method like playing versus matches or a dedicated unlock mode. I hated having to go though a five hour wait just to unlock :ultmewtwo: and :ultgnw:. I also hated going through the great maze and reexploring all of Subspace just to unlock :ultsonic:, :ulttoonlink:, :ultjigglypuff:, and :ultwolf:. I don't want a tedious unlocking process. If Nintendo locks newcomers like :ultsimon: or :ultisabelle: behind hours of grinding or AFKing, many first time experiences will not go over well.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I hope that there is some easy method like playing versus matches or a dedicated unlock mode. I hated having to go though a five hour wait just to unlock :ultmewtwo: and :ultgnw:. I also hated going through the great maze and reexploring all of Subspace just to unlock :ultsonic:, :ulttoonlink:, :ultjigglypuff:, and :ultwolf:. I don't want a tedious unlocking process. If Nintendo locks newcomers like :ultsimon: or :ultisabelle: behind hours of grinding or AFKing, many first time experiences will not go over well.
Indeed, for many who play the characters they want to play, and are already dumb enough to predetermine their mains (like myself), I will be a very unhappy camper if I'm unable to play King K. Rool within the first month of having Ultimate.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait a second

The the classic mode is going to do what smash 64 did right which is the same path over and over again but the difference is it’s a different path for each character but all ending in the same place with master hand (and crazy hand with whatever form you have to deal with this time.)

So how do you fight characters you didn't unlock yet? In classic mode

Where I’m going with this is by streamline you just beat characters you don’t have in classic mode.

If there’s a way to fight non unlocked characters in classic mode with out unlocking them let me know

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I hope these are the unlock methods:
A - Play a specific # of versus matches
B - Beat Classic with a specific fighter/set of fighters.
C - Play through that new mode

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this point I'm thinking it'll be through various methods.

Playing a number of vs. matches (Say like for every 10 vs. matches you play that you unlock someone), playing through Spirits, downloading amiibos, etc.

Other perfect examples could also be unlocking Dark Samus by beating Classic Mode with Samus or unlocking Peach by playing on a Mario stage.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I hope that there isn't any mass RNG based collectible that can affect game play if you haven't yet grinded for every one.

Looking at you Smash 4 and your custom move sets. They should either not be there or all be unlocked right off the bat.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I hope that there isn't any mass RNG based collectible that can affect game play if you haven't yet grinded for every one.

Looking at you Smash 4 and your custom move sets. They should either not be there or all be unlocked right off the bat.
What really ruined unlocking customs was being able to get doubles of them, as that literally served zero purpose besides padding. And the RNG was so awful that it was likely you could get two or even three of the same move at once.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
I think it's very likely that Spirits will be one of the unlock methods - even if we don't take it as confirmed that it's some kind of adventure mode (which I think is extremely likely), the name suggests a focus on characters. I would also be shocked if Vs. Mode didn't remain an unlock method. Therefore, my predictions for character unlock methods are

1) Spirits
2) Vs. Mode matches
3) Amiibo

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I may be in the minority here, but I want every unlockable contents (characters, stages, musics) to be unlockable by buying them in a shop like system, so those coins we earn have some uses.
Of course for characters after buying them with your in game coins, you don't unlock them automatically. To keep Smash traditions, after buying them, you have the chance to battle them and defeat them to unlock them. Lose? No problem you can challenge as many time as you like since you purchased them already.
I'm a fan of "unlockable through a shop" systems.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I may be in the minority here, but I want every unlockable contents (characters, stages, musics) to be unlockable by buying them in a shop like system, so those coins we earn have some uses.
Of course for characters after buying them with your in game coins, you don't unlock them automatically. To keep Smash traditions, after buying them, you have the chance to battle them and defeat them to unlock them. Lose? No problem you can challenge as many time as you like since you purchased them already.
I'm a fan of "unlockable through a shop" systems.
That was a nightmare to go through in my favorite fighting game that isn't Smash Bros. Also, "buying" fighters would come as no surprise to the newcomer as they know what they're getting into when they fight them after like the second or third time around.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Also, "buying" fighters would come as no surprise to the newcomer as they know what they're getting into when they fight them after like the second or third time around.
True.
With Ultimate going to reveal everyone before launch, I just thought it'd be neat if they go in a dfiferent direction for unlocking characters.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
True.
With Ultimate going to reveal everyone before launch, I just thought it'd be neat if they go in a dfiferent direction for unlocking characters.
Sakurai did state that unlocking characters would be more streamlined and quicker so I don’t think a buying system would work well.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
With them saying interesting I'm assuming it won't be play x number or time of matches I'm hoping for the find them in story mode as brawl had as that felt really exciting and rewarding to me

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
1. Amiibo
2. Vs. matches
3. Spirits
4. Buying at store
5. Unlocking similar to Smash 64 and Melee

These are the five various ways I believe.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Describe buying at store if I may ask.

But anyway 5. correction term is “doing a certain thing” since this one has been happened in all smashes
There's a Store in the main menu where you can buy stuff using coins like getting trophies in Melee but rather also characters, music, costumes, etc.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
You know, with the promise of all newcomers shown off before launch, a store where you could buy newcomers wouldn't be that crazy even if it showed who you'll get before hand. (though it's true not every Smash fan uses the internet or checks the newcomers, trying to avoid spoilers and all that.). Still, if they still wanted newcomers hidden, they could always have the newcomer you buy be a surprise. Have a store where in it, along with trophies, music, etc., you could buy a "Newcomer" or "Character". The character is silhouetted or just a big ? mark or something. Maybe different characters fetch different prices or you could just buy a random unlockable character for a not insignificant price (Maybe something like 5000 coins? A little high, but not super unreasonable.) You buy a character, and all you know is that you're promised a character to battle to try and unlock, but which one is RNG after the buy. Or as I said characters could just have differing prices. Your store could show ? for 800 coins, ? for 1000 coins, or ? for 3000 coins, and which one you buy is up to you. That could be a better system for completionists or those who just want their favorite characters right away and want to know which price tag to look for when walkthroughs start coming out.

Game Boy Blue

Smash Cadet
Subspace emissary was really good for unlocking characters, i wish they did something like that again!
But something based on events would also be cool!
I really didnt care for it. I enjoy the "newcomer approaching" screen. And the fight to unlock them.

I don't mind different methods for the same character, though I hope the fastest/easiest way is always some interesting challenge that is themed on the character themself. Like beating Mushroom Kingdom with a :02 to fight Luigi.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I really didnt care for it. I enjoy the "newcomer approaching" screen. And the fight to unlock them.

I don't mind different methods for the same character, though I hope the fastest/easiest way is always some interesting challenge that is themed on the character themself. Like beating Mushroom Kingdom with a :02 to fight Luigi.
I wouldn't mind subspace if you still had to do the unlock fight. For me, that's my favorite part. I know it's kind of silly, but I kind of hate how it's a one in done deal, how if you wanted to do a certain character's unlock fight again, you have to reset your progress. I kind of wish there was a special mode where you could replay unlock fights just to stroll down memory lane, try it as a different character, maybe have new records at how fast you can KO the character, have hypothetical unlock fights with the characters in the base roster, etc. I recall the unlock fights being extra tough too, some taking me 10 or so tries to finally get the character to play, almost like a one man cruel fight. That's fun too, and I only wish I could do it again once I did it before.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Maybe the way certain characters can be unlocked could reference the way they were unlocked in previous games:

• :ultluigi:: If Target Test is back, beating Target Test with the Original 8 could unlock him.
    • If not, you can use his Brawl unlock conditions (Clear Classic with no Continues)
  • :ultness:: Ness could have two
    • Clear Classic on Hard difficulty or higher (64)
    • Reflect 10 projectiles in any mode (Brawl)
  • :ultfalcon:: Clear Classic in under X minutes
  • :ultjigglypuff:: Clear Classic on any difficulty

Something like that. Obviously there's a lot more possibilities but that's my two cents.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Maybe the way certain characters can be unlocked could reference the way they were unlocked in previous games:

• :ultluigi:: If Target Test is back, beating Target Test with the Original 8 could unlock him.
    • If not, you can use his Brawl unlock conditions (Clear Classic with no Continues)
  • :ultness:: Ness could have two
    • Clear Classic on Hard difficulty or higher (64)
    • Reflect 10 projectiles in any mode (Brawl)
  • :ultfalcon:: Clear Classic in under X minutes
  • :ultjigglypuff:: Clear Classic on any difficulty

Something like that. Obviously there's a lot more possibilities but that's my two cents.
Funny thing is we won't have to worry about unlocking any of those characters. They're going to be in the base roster of Ultimate.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
A cheap way to bypass it for tournaments would be AR cards if the amiibo thing is true. It was cheap for me to get for breath of the wild and feels like it would be just as easy here.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
he said the orignal smash 64 characters are the starters but he didn't clarify if those unlockables included :ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::ultjigglypuff: or not

as a matter of fact the faded in while he was saying it thats where the confusion came from

NoahAbc12345

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoahAbc12345
3DS FC
0533-7503-7099
Switch FC
SW-6610-5519-8798
Indeed. I apologize for stating we'll have :ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::ultjigglypuff: in base, when in fact we currently do not know if they'll be base roster.
Man, it'd be super cool if we could actually get the secret four in the base roster. I'm pretty sure other people feel the opposite, but perhaps we can get them after perhaps some kind of tutorial?

Nah, there probably won't even be a tutorial. Just wishful thinking,

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Man, it'd be super cool if we could actually get the secret four in the base roster. I'm pretty sure other people feel the opposite, but perhaps we can get them after perhaps some kind of tutorial?

Nah, there probably won't even be a tutorial. Just wishful thinking,
I personally hope we have the original 12 in base roster. It would feel kind of definitive to me, literally starting with everything from Smash 1, where it began, while stil emphasizing that there's so much more to unlock and find.

NoahAbc12345

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoahAbc12345
3DS FC
0533-7503-7099
Switch FC
SW-6610-5519-8798
I personally hope we have the original 12 in base roster. It would feel kind of definitive to me, literally starting with everything from Smash 1, where it began, while stil emphasizing that there's so much more to unlock and find.
Exactly what i was thinking! I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened, but I don't know at the same time.

Go! :ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:

Last edited:
Top Bottom