• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 256 54.7%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 114 24.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Okay so, interesting stuff.

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/

The most important thing to take from this is that there's several methods for unlocking fighters.

That should make things fun, I think. Maybe after the game is out it might be nice to figure out the fastest way to unlock everyone by combining multiple methods at once?
I hope Mewtwo keeps his Melee method as one way to unlock him, not the only way mind you but just a silly call back.

I also wonder if owning a characters amiibo will be an unlock method?

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I hope it's mix of all games unlock methods.
For maybe some characters you have to play a certain number of matches, whilst others you have to go through certain modes with one certain character or some I have to play on a certain stage with a certain character. As long as there isn't anything like Mewtwo in Melee or something like the Sonic and Tails rumour I'm good.
BTW if Tails ever is in Ultimate and if he has an easier unlock method then Sonic has for some reason, I'm going straight for Tails.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I hope that some classic unlock methods are a thing for certain characters, such as Clear Break the Targets with all 8 starter characters for Luigi, Clear 100 Man Smash for Falco, and clearing Event Matches to unlock characters is definitely something that should return. It would also be nice to see 10 Man Smash and 3 Minute Smash actually be worthwhile to do, as long as there isn't any characters locked behind Cruel Smash and 15 Minute Smash as well.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
It struck me a little bit odd at first but I’m actually looking forward to unlocking a buttload of characters again. I remember that was one of the highlights of playing Melee at 11-12 years old.

I read Sakurai’s first post regarding Smash Ultimate’s development (available at Source Gaming translated - https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/). He said there’s going to be “several methods for unlocking fighters”, and I’m curious as to what you think that means.

The racing game analogy in the article makes me wonder if at least some of the fighters may be purchased with in-game coins. This is interesting to me personally as there is at least one fighter I don’t particularly care for and if I don’t want them I don’t have to buy them. (Disclaimer: if I have no choice I’m not gonna be butthurt about it - they’re just one of many characters in this great looking game) Maybe, for example, all the third party characters are locked this way so if someone wants to be a Nintendo purist they don’t have to have Cloud or Snake or Bayonetta? What do you guys think.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'd like the unlocking to take a bit longer than Smash 4 - which was way too short - but not quite as long as Melee either. I wanna enjoy playing online and with friends as my faves, but I wouldn't mind extending the single player process a bit. That was one of my big problems with 4.

Some single player mode to unlock the characters would be awesome, imo. And maybe even one hidden character that's really hard to unlock.

Spider-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spiderlink
Switch FC
SW-6997-1119-0302
I hope Mewtwo keeps his Melee method as one way to unlock him, not the only way mind you but just a silly call back.

I also wonder if owning a characters amiibo will be an unlock method?
If owning a characters amiibo unlocks them, well then I am sitting in a good spot considering I have every character already..... please let this come to pass!

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I’m expecting the unlocking method to be revamped slightly this time around due to the fact that there are potentially 52 unlockable slots.

Even though the was the most time-consuming, I honestly had the most fun unlocking characters in Melee. I was only about 10, and this was a time still before the widespread influence of the internet, so my friends and I had NO IDEA who was included in the full roster. Every unlock was exciting and new, and we’d spend hours trying to retrace each other’s steps to find out exactly how we managed to unlock certain characters. I remember a classmate told me he unlocked Mewtwo and I was sure he was lying.... until I manage to get him myself. Good times...

That said, I was disappointed in Brawl at first. Characters were relatively too easy to unlock, and the majority of newcomers were starters anyway so there weren’t many surprises (especially thanks to the Dojo). By the time Smash 4 came out, the excitement came through the reveal videos prior to the games launch so I wasn’t at all concerned with unlock methods and just wanted to get everyone as fast as possible.

I’m curious about how it’s going to be more “streamlined” this time around.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
That awkward moment when you visit a friend three years after the game's release, and they don't have everyone unlocked...

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Unlocking stuff the characters and stages is the game for me because I don't have a regular group of friends to play with anymore. Too fast unlocks was the worst part of Sm4sh for me because I never had reasons to play in-between rare instances of playing with friends. It's a shame too because Sm4sh was my favorite gameplay wise.

To be truly "Ultimate" for me, I'd honestly love it if it took 25+ hrs to unlock all characters and stages playing solo. I think that's reasonable so long as they include a competition mode toggle that instantly unlocks all characters/stages (a feature that should be in any game that wants to be seen as competitive)

Lass567

Smash Rookie
NNID
Noaaaaaaaaaahhhh
I kind of hope that they leave one character in the game that they don't announce, so when people unlock them it's a total surprise.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I kind of hope that they leave one character in the game that they don't announce, so when people unlock them it's a total surprise.
If they do that, they should give the Game & Watch Melee condition of completing a single player mode with all other characters.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Smash has always had an element of fanservice, and everything revealed so far has gone above and beyond my expectations on that front. All vets. Tons of stages, all with optional hazards. Gameplay and presentation more optimized for esports and tournaments. And even the few newcomers we've seen. Now, Sakurai himself stated not to expect too many or as many newcomers as in previous iterations, with how ambitious it was to bring back all 65 veterans. Sakurai and co. probably need to be extra picky with what newcomers they develop. I assume they really want to make some kind of impact with each character. So I think Geno could have a real chance here.

Last edited:

Shy November

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3884-0538-1253
Honestly, I just want the characters unlocked. I think that I'd be happiest with a requirements page that showed your progress towards unlocking each character, but you don't know which character the requirement unlocks. That way, regardless of how absurd or easy unlock requirements may be, I at least know what it is I need to do to unlock whoever it is. I hate not knowing what I need to do because I don't know if I need to play 200 solo matches or 50 home-run contests or whatever it may be, so I could be grinding match after match to unlock everybody when it's as simple as "View the Credits" or something.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If methods are similar as to past games, I think Doc may actually be the first one I unlock since Mario will probably be who I take through Classic mode first.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
If the “Play X number of Vs Matches” method returns, I’m thinking it will be a new character every 10 matches. With that method, it will be just around (or exactly) 500 matches to unlock everyone. Still more than both Brawl and SSB4, but then again there are over 50 unlockable characters this time, and every 10 matches keeps the unlocks consistent.

So while it would still take a while, at least you’re frequently and consistently gathering new characters. I feel like the unlocks would be by character order number, based on how much emphasis Sakurai is putting on the numbers. That, or maybe every 10 matches you can choose who you want to unlock.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
Unlocking stuff the characters and stages is the game for me because I don't have a regular group of friends to play with anymore. Too fast unlocks was the worst part of Sm4sh for me because I never had reasons to play in-between rare instances of playing with friends. It's a shame too because Sm4sh was my favorite gameplay wise.

To be truly "Ultimate" for me, I'd honestly love it if it took 25+ hrs to unlock all characters and stages playing solo. I think that's reasonable so long as they include a competition mode toggle that instantly unlocks all characters/stages (a feature that should be in any game that wants to be seen as competitive)
I don't have nearly as much access to regular smash sessions either, but I still don't look to Smash to entertain me in that way. I just play other games. (Granted, trophies will keep you going for a long time on their own.) I love the idea of an instant unlock, but Sakurai probably still doesn't want to fully acknowledge the competitive fire behind these games. His attitude at E3 has me hoping, though.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
One thing that could be kinda cool is, assuming the classic challenger approaching fights return, if the opponent remains a silhouette while you’re fighting them, with their voice disabled and a blank portrait with no series symbol on the GUI, to prolong the surprise a tad longer for anyone playing who doesn’t already know for sure who the character is.

Side note, I wonder if you have to specifically unlock Miis, or if you “unlock” them the same way you do in Smash 4 by making your first Mii Fighter, which would mean that you would be able to play as them before any other character if you want to.

Enchess

Smash Lord
One thing that could be kinda cool is, assuming the classic challenger approaching fights return, if the opponent remains a silhouette while you’re fighting them, with their voice disabled and a blank portrait with no series symbol on the GUI, to prolong the surprise a tad longer for anyone playing who doesn’t already know for sure who the character is.

Side note, I wonder if you have to specifically unlock Miis, or if you “unlock” them the same way you do in Smash 4 by making your first Mii Fighter, which would mean that you would be able to play as them before any other character if you want to.
That's a great idea. I'm sure most of us would know immediately who we were fighting, but more casual players would have a lot of fun with that.

McSpanker

Smash Cadet

That is actually an awesome idea. Especially for the kids who'd probably have no idea who half the people they were fighting lmao

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
That is actually an awesome idea. Especially for the kids who'd probably have no idea who half the people they were fighting lmao
I can imagine some new players to Smash being confused by the fact that Mr. Game & Watch remains a silhouette even after you unlock him :p

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
I don't want multi unlocks because the 1v1 me challlenger feeling is just so awesome like you really earned the character winning 1v1 on their stage.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
My main concern is how "play x amount of matches" type of unlocks are going to work with online matches. I'm not gonna dive right into online when I first get the game, but I imagine I'll be trying it out before I unlock every character. Do online matches contribute towards those unlock conditions, and how do they work? I don't really see them kicking someone from an online room to unlock a character since they finally played 50 matches. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to unlock the characters without having to fight them first (I really disliked that about Brawl's SSE mode). I spend most of the time playing sm4sh online with friends, and I don't want to have restrict myself from playing online to unlock characters.

Just a thought, but it would be kind of cool to be able to fight multiple unlocks at the same time. By this I mean if you were playing one of the co-op modes (like Sm4sh's classic mode) and met multiple unlock conditions. If P1 was Mario and P2 was Pikachu, they could fight Dr. Mario and Jigglypuff. Or if you were doing co-op multi-man melee, completing one of the more difficult modes could allow you and your partner to fight 2 of the characters that you could unlock in that mode (completing 100-man melee lets you fight its unlockable and 10-man melee's unlockable). It'd be a neat touch for unlocking stuff with friends, but not affect unlocking stuff solo also.

Arthur97

Smash Master
My main concern is how "play x amount of matches" type of unlocks are going to work with online matches. I'm not gonna dive right into online when I first get the game, but I imagine I'll be trying it out before I unlock every character. Do online matches contribute towards those unlock conditions, and how do they work? I don't really see them kicking someone from an online room to unlock a character since they finally played 50 matches. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to unlock the characters without having to fight them first (I really disliked that about Brawl's SSE mode). I spend most of the time playing sm4sh online with friends, and I don't want to have restrict myself from playing online to unlock characters.

Just a thought, but it would be kind of cool to be able to fight multiple unlocks at the same time. By this I mean if you were playing one of the co-op modes (like Sm4sh's classic mode) and met multiple unlock conditions. If P1 was Mario and P2 was Pikachu, they could fight Dr. Mario and Jigglypuff. Or if you were doing co-op multi-man melee, completing one of the more difficult modes could allow you and your partner to fight 2 of the characters that you could unlock in that mode (completing 100-man melee lets you fight its unlockable and 10-man melee's unlockable). It'd be a neat touch for unlocking stuff with friends, but not affect unlocking stuff solo also.
I think they count, but you have to play an offline match before you get the fight.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm thinking all the unlockable characters will be viewable under a Challenges type of menu where you can see all the requirements to unlock them. However, you can use a few Golden Hammers to bypass the requirements and unlock the ones you want right off the bat.

Last edited by a moderator:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Make it quick. I don't have the time to dedicate to games like I used to and nothing kills a party faster than "Where's my guy?"

It shouldn't be a chore and IMO the internet killed the main draw of unlocks: the mystery. Without that, it's an arbitrary roadblock for people who just want to enjoy their character.

But that's just my "Old Man Yells At Cloud" for the day.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
My guess might be someingmlike this since he said several methods

Vs matches

Easy method (Like smash 4 did)

Hard method (like melee did)

Possible adventure mode way

Maybe a shop way with smash coins earned (based on the getting a new car unlocked in a racing game way)

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
-Unlocks should stack. In 64, beating 1P mode on Normal with 3 lives should net you both Jigglypuff and Ness.
-Unlocks shouldn't be time based. In Melee, unlocking Mewtwo was hilarious. Never again.
-Unlocks shouldn't be completely cheapo, like in Brawl where Ness takes 5 vs matches and Marth takes 10. They are practically starters.
-A story mode that unlocks the main cast seems like the best option for peeps that want characters ASAP. It's a much more fun process than SDing at high speed in the local multiplayer mode, which I feel is a really silly exploit that isn't truly playing the game. I'm not criticizing players that do this, I'm criticizing the game for making this the most efficient task for unlocking characters. Seeing how Ultimate has 60+ characters, I highly doubt that every character could be implemented into a story mode in the same fashion Brawl accomplished (Jiggz, Wolf and TL were still left out). But it would make sense for characters that are normally starters to be handed over in story mode (by saving Peach, by defeating Bowser, etc).

The idea of using gold/hammers/tickets/etc to unlock characters could also achieve that balance that gives both the masochists and the time-savers what they want. I feel that there should be a trade-off that makes outright purchasing the characters less beneficial than unlocking them the legitimate way, but they shouldn't cost so much that it's basically just as much work as legit unlocking because this would defeat the purpose of saving time. Perhaps legit unlocks have more rewards (trophies, songs, etc) stacked on top of them while the shortcut only gives you the character?

I want everybody to get what they want, and at the end of the day I won't even be too mad if they make characters stupid easy to unlock (again). Which I'm pretty sure is what Sakurai means by "streamlined". But it also doesn't make sense to have unlockables in the first place if you're going to make them so easy to get, because then they might as well be starters.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
*fingers crossed for something like this*

Firstly, all unlockables are listed.

Example:
Unlockable ID | Category| Description | Cost
0001 | Characters | Luigi | 50 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
072 | Music | Sonic Boom | 75 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
0305 | Stages | Fountain of Dreams | 50 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
0402 | Stages | ??? | 50 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
0423 | Costumes & Colors | Particle Mario | 100 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
0937 | Battle Scrolls | 25 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
1768 | Trophies | NES Cartridge | 25 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin

and so on...
Notice the ???. That represents a stage that is NEW to Smash Bros OR something that is old but wasn't revealed prior to launch.

NOW!
Silver Coins come from winning battles, whether online or offline. They also come from completing objectives. Grind for silver coins!
Gold Coins come from completing a special gameplay task. For example, Finish Classic On Intensity 5.0 Without Losing A Stock.

All Gold Coin Objectives are listed just as the Unlockables are. Players can look at the list of objectives and just take on whatever they want to gather gold coins.

Get coins, go to the treasure box or unlockables list, and just pick whatever you want to unlock! As long as you meet the requirement, you're good.

IF there is a good Ranked Mode, they could make it to where you get even more Silver Coins based on streaks against unique players who are ranked higher or have better win rates.

Okay, back to CEO!

Last edited:

Shy November

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3884-0538-1253
Considering that Sakurai was talking about wanting to make it feel like you were recruiting characters to fight by your side, I think that an adventure mode, even one with multiple routes, is the most likely, and I think I would really enjoy that.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
all the games have a fallback system
Do we think its likely that the fallback system will unlock characters in the numbered order from the official website?

As in, we'll unlock Peach (13) after Jigglypuff (12) and so on?

There's something I find very hype about that.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Man I must of been the only one to just get mew the two two without even knowing he was in the game

How are we going unlock the mii fighters. Cause sword was good to play as

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Do we think its likely that the fallback system will unlock characters in the numbered order from the official website?

As in, we'll unlock Peach (13) after Jigglypuff (12) and so on?

There's something I find very hype about that.
That would probably be how the vs. Match method will go.

godogod

Smash Ace
if they allow amiibo unlocking characters, I might do it, maybe. But unlocking characters in general are pretty fun, and with smash I have the patience of it(gonna play hundreds of hours of multi anyway). Mewtwo being 20 hours of multi like Melee would be hilarious!

They should make Ridley the last character to unlock or something

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
*fingers crossed for something like this*

Firstly, all unlockables are listed.

Example:
Unlockable ID | Category| Description | Cost
0001 | Characters | Luigi | 50 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
072 | Music | Sonic Boom | 75 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
0305 | Stages | Fountain of Dreams | 50 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
0402 | Stages | ??? | 50 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
0423 | Costumes & Colors | Particle Mario | 100 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
0937 | Battle Scrolls | 25 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
1768 | Trophies | NES Cartridge | 25 Silver Coins Or 1 Gold Coin
Didn't quote the entire post, but this is a genius idea. The gold coin gimmick makes it so that you don’t have to get lucky unlocking that one character you want by fulfilling an extremely specific requirement... just complete any of the prerequisites to earn a single gold coin and buy whoever or whatever you want with it.

To expand on it, I think it would be interesting if all of this existed in a “Smash Shop” which at first has very limited stock... say, the four original hidden characters (:ultjigglypuff::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon:) and a handful of stages, music tracks, etc. Then, after unlocking two of these characters, you get a bonus message like in Melee that says:

“More prizes have arrived for purchase in the Smash Shop! Press X to head there now!”

Then more characters appear: Melee starters, such as :ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ulticeclimbers:

Unlocking 2 or 3 of them will once again trigger the message, and a new batch of characters will be become available. Of course the characters pictures are just silhouettes and you have to battle them after purchasing.

Also, maybe instead of just silver and gold coins, there can be others based on the level of difficulty of the challenge required to complete it. Maybe Ridley would require a 150 silver coins, or a single platinum (hardest difficulty) coin.

Just some thoughts

I was expecting the unlocks for this game to either be just like Smash 4's or none at all. That would have bummed me the **** out. I loved unlocking characters in Melee and Brawl. I love unlocking **** in general if done correctly, because it feels less like "locking content away" (an IMO rather flawed analogy) and more like giving you an actual reward, an actual reason for exploring the game's vast content (like single player). Plus, it gives me something to do when nobody else is over.

So yeah, the last thing I expected was for the unlocks to get harder, let alone taken Up to Eleven by having everybody but the Original 12 hidden away. ****ing crazy. THAT was what really blew my mind. I was beyond surprised. At first, I thought, even as someone so disappointment with Smash 4's unlocks (seriously, I unlocked everybody in 2 hours except for Duck Hunt, who I unlocked the following day. Might as well have made them starters if they were this easy to get.), that this was a little excessive, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought, "hey, this might be crazy enough to work." It is a pretty interesting choice, as it's basically "here's what we had at the beginning...... and this is what it's like now." In fact, I might have gone a little further and locked everyone except the Original 8 if we're going that route, but cool beans anyways. Plus, what's really sold me on this is that now, I'm going to have to be fighting for 50+ fighters! ****ING AWESOME!!!!!!

So, how SHOULD everyone be unlocked? Hmmmm...... well, yeah, while the joy I had unlocking everyone in Melee will never be topped, this game definitely could come close if the team plays their cards right. Even someone as pro-unlock as me definitely agrees that, with 50+ unlockables, you really DON'T want to make them too challenging.

Weird idea of mine; I would like if you had to mess around for a little bit or go out of your way to make your first unlock. Like, to really sell the whole "starting small" and "reunion" thing, you can only mess around with the Original 12 for a while to make it really feel like they're reuniting and were the first ones to the party. Then, after a while (but not the same time you'd have to wait for Melee Mewtwo, that **** was ridiculous), you reach your first unlock, and then after unlocking that character, you get a message saying "Now the party is entering full swing!" Then everyone else becomes available for unlocking in separate waves, and you can go at your own pace unlocking everybody.

I have a few more proposals:

• Include an option when booting up the game for the first time to unlock everyone instantly: I've seen this requested a few times, and I agree. What's not to love about this? Having the option to either unlock everyone at once for those who want to try out their main lickety-split, or keep the unlocking system intact for those who really value it like me? Seriously, everybody wins. I can't see any downsides whatsoever.
  • Focus more on distinction between characters when it comes to unlock conditions: Since we have so many unlocks, this is what should be focused on instead of difficulty of unlocking. Most characters should have unlock conditions that have at least a small reference to something from their series (like, think of Luigi's unlock condition in Melee), while still being easy enough to unlock overall.
  • Spread unlocks out over all the content in the game: Like, get ALL the modes involved in this motha-****a. I'm talking Event Matches, Classic Mode, Stadium, Smash Run, Adventure Mode, Break the Targets, heck, maybe even Online. I could go on, but you should get my point by now. This would help make it easy to unlock most characters if ya knew what to do, yet keeps it engaging and gives you incentive to try everything out.
  • This was RelaxAlex's idea, not mine: RelaxAlex suggested a separate mode like The Great Maze (the final level in the Subspace Emissary), where you could run around in a large open world, fighting enemies, traveling in different locations, and finding characters behind doors to unlock them. I hadn't thought of that before, and that could really work. Personally, I'd go even farther; you can also find a large variety of bosses in the mode, extra paths you can only find with specific characters, etc. Ideally, I'd prefer a Subspace-esque mode (because I want one for much more reasons than just unlockables (just read my concept that's linked in my signature), and I felt the Subspace Emissary was a great alternative for unlocking characters in Brawl), but if the rumors tht the gig size is close to Smash 4's is true, maybe the dream is dead.
So that's what I have off the top of my head. (Sorry for the book. I really like this topic.)

Top Bottom