• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion on M.K. idcs edge guarding uses.

Which D-air is the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Painless67

Smash Rookie
Thread discussion on idcs edge guards and help on the mater. I need to improve my M.K. game.

Check out the poll I made. MAY THE BEST D-AIR WIN!

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Why would you want discussion on such a situational yet straight forward thing? IDC isn't even that good for edgeguarding, but if you want to know when to use it, it works for predictable recoveries and stallers like Samus and Mario. Even then, there are better options and the opponent would have to be really bad. If you want to improve your MK game then read everything in this forum. It is filled with info. The 3.5 discussion thread, my thread, victini's guide, my guide, etc.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
There are very few times when IDC can be used to edgeguard. Specifically on Marth and Roy from my experience, however it could probably work on characters like Samus and Mario too.

If you stand on the stage slightly further away from the ledge than usual (far enough to IDC and still be onstage), then you can wait for Marth to up-B, and then IDC towards him when he is at the peak of the height of his up-B. However, this relies on a lack of sweetspotting the recovery. You can force a recovery onstage by ledgehogging and then coming up onstage on time, but it's really not worth it unless you can see that they have a habit of not sweetspotting the ledge to be honest.

I would suggest you read around the forums more instead of making your own threads to get better. There is already a wealth of information here, and by starting your own threads it's sort of like guessing and checking at something that MIGHT work instead of just finding out what already does.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
IDC is useful against tethers. If you force them to jump you have enough time to IDC because of how much lag they have - it's ridiculous. Unfortunately, I suck at it so I haven't been able to put it into practice yet, although there's a vid of me failing it consistently against Oro?!. LOL.

Also whoever is voting that 3.5 Dair is better than 3.0 Dair is ridiculous. LOL. Unless we're talking from a design standpoint (in which case 3.5 gets my vote), 3.0 Dair is superior in almost every conceivable way.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
IDC is useful against tethers. If you force them to jump you have enough time to IDC because of how much lag they have - it's ridiculous. Unfortunately, I suck at it so I haven't been able to put it into practice yet, although there's a vid of me failing it consistently against Oro?!. LOL.

Also whoever is voting that 3.5 Dair is better than 3.0 Dair is ridiculous. LOL. Unless we're talking from a design standpoint (in which case 3.5 gets my vote), 3.0 Dair is superior in almost every conceivable way.
3.0 dair is broken good, but it's not better than 3.5 dair in EVERY (conceivable) way! Was 3.0 dair good for edgeguarding? Maybe I'm taking you too literally lol

P.S. The whole IDC can be used to punish tethers thing is one of the reasons why I mentioned Samus. Mario sounds less edgeguardable the more I think about it so ignore that. Samus gets really rekt if she doesn't sweetpot or bomb jump right or do a mixup tether. 1 thingz yo shood take fram thiz : Samus's recovery is very nerfed.

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
3.0 dair is broken good, but it's not better than 3.5 dair in EVERY (conceivable) way! Was 3.0 dair good for edgeguarding? Maybe I'm taking you too literally lol
Although this is true, I feel like there are better options for edgeguarding. The only time I ever use dair over nair is when I need extremely slighly more range in order to get a first hit, and then I can finish off the edgeguard with a nair when they try to recover again. So overall it's not even that good for edgeguarding IMO

Also, you could actually use 3.0 dair for edgeguarding. It was super hard but super flashy. I remember seeing Infinity take Sethlon's stock by doing a dair and landing it right on the ledge as Sethlon finished Roy's up-B. But I guess by the way he spaced and angled the dair, the final hit before the ground never hit Sethlon to pop Roy up, so Roy got spiked down similarly to Fox's dair and got gimped. I actually pulled this off in tournament in tournament once against The NZA (I think it was actually accidental LOL) and he said "that was a cute edgeguard" and that was like the proudest moment of my Smash carrer lmao

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Although this is true, I feel like there are better options for edgeguarding. The only time I ever use dair over nair is when I need extremely slighly more range in order to get a first hit, and then I can finish off the edgeguard with a nair when they try to recover again. So overall it's not even that good for edgeguarding IMO

Also, you could actually use 3.0 dair for edgeguarding. It was super hard but super flashy. I remember seeing Infinity take Sethlon's stock by doing a dair and landing it right on the ledge as Sethlon finished Roy's up-B. But I guess by the way he spaced and angled the dair, the final hit before the ground never hit Sethlon to pop Roy up, so Roy got spiked down similarly to Fox's dair and got gimped. I actually pulled this off in tournament in tournament once against The NZA (I think it was actually accidental LOL) and he said "that was a cute edgeguard" and that was like the proudest moment of my Smash carrer lmao
It was also possible to ledgecancel the dair, which was kinda hard but worth it.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
It was also possible to ledgecancel the dair, which was kinda hard but worth it.
I feel like ledgecancelling an angled dair was one of the easiest moves to ledgecancel actually. When you hit the ground, you slid forward a little bit, making the spacing for an edgecancel pretty wide.

Top Bottom