• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion of Rage Legality

Should Rage be turned on or off?

• On

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • Off

Votes: 21 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulgun

Smash Cadet
If you scroll down further in the settings for the Rules in Ultimate, I'm certain you're bound to see a rule that can toggle for the comeback mechanic when you're currently losing. If this is the rumored Rage Toggle that can be turned on or off in Ultimate, this could definitely cause quite an argument as to whether or not the mechanic should be kept on or off.

I'm not going to post my own opinion on the matter, for I think both Rage on and Rage off will have their own merits for their own legality, but I would like to hear from you all in the poll I've posted. Assuming that this is indeed the Rage Toggle that has been rumored about, what would you rather have?

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Are you talking about custom balance? That's completely different, and has nothing to do with rage. Rage can be disabled in Training mode by turning off stale moves, but that's about it. Rage has been reworked in Ultimate so having a toggle really won't make much since, especially since basically kills viability for heavies and nerfs kill options for some characters as well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Rage sucks...

But no you can't turn it off unfortunately.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Rage sucks...
Rage isn't bad in concept, a lot people agree that it brought some good elements to the game. The problem in Smash 4 was that it affected WBKB, which is what caused a lot of janky kills. Rage was never a bad mechanic in theory, but when you have one hit of Mario or ZSS's up-B killing at 0% with it, that's when it starts becoming a bit ridiculous.

Ultimate removes the WBKB problem since multi-hit moves now auto-link in Ultimate, and with the damage multiplier nerfed, Rage will now be a more balanced mechanic that really requires skill to use.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Rage isn't bad in concept, a lot people agree that it brought some good elements to the game. The problem in Smash 4 was that it affected WBKB, which is what caused a lot of janky kills. Rage was never a bad mechanic in theory, but when you have one hit of Mario or ZSS's up-B killing at 0% with it, that's when it starts becoming a bit ridiculous.

Ultimate removes the WBKB problem since multi-hit moves now auto-link in Ultimate, and with the damage multiplier nerfed, Rage will now be a more balanced mechanic that really requires skill to use.
Nah, I still think it does, at least at a conceptual level, and as a personal opinion. At a fundamental level, I just don't like it.

The beautiful thing about Smash in Melee and PM is that all of its back and forth combat was done without the need of an artificial comeback booster of some kind.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I still think it does, at least at a conceptual level, and as a personal opinion. At a fundamental level, I just don't like it.

The beautiful thing about Smash in Melee and PM is that all of its back and forth combat was done without the need of an artificial comeback booster of some kind.
It's just the nature of modern competitive fighting games. Everything from Tekken to BlazBlue Cross Tag has a comeback mechanic these days. Comeback mechanics aren't bad as long there's fairness to it. Rage had its moments in Smash 4, but at least in the game's final years, it became more of a nuisance than a useful mechanic. Ultimate gives Rage the nerfs it really needed.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
rage put whoever was in a lead at an advantage in the first place. terrible mechanic

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Rage should be a mixed setting. Rage should apply more to a fighter the heavier they are, so fighters like Bowser and King Dedede benefit heavily from it. Light fighters like Rosalina and Kirby should benefit little from Rage.

D

Deleted member 269706

Rage isn't nearly as potent as it was in the past. on top of this killing seems easier to come by in general. It's not worth ******** about anymore.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
The setting you're talking about is unrelated to Rage. It's a flat power boost for bad players when it's turned on. It's off by default.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Can someone please explain how rage works exactly in Ultimate? It seems like only 3 or 4 people outside this thread on the internet haved talk about it. When does it take effect? When is it at its max? How is the knockback and damage given different compared to smash 4?

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Can someone please explain how rage works exactly in Ultimate? It seems like only 3 or 4 people outside this thread on the internet haved talk about it. When does it take effect? When is it at its max? How is the knockback and damage given different compared to smash 4?
Don't listen to the other posts in this thread--there is no rage mechanic in Smash Ultimate.

You can confirm this in training mode by hitting an opponent and noting how many units of distance they were launched. Reset their accumulated damage, change yours to 999%, launch them again, and they'll travel the same distance. The attacker's accumulated damage no longer affects their launching power.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Don't listen to the other posts in this thread--there is no rage mechanic in Smash Ultimate.

You can confirm this in training mode by hitting an opponent and noting how many units of distance they were launched. Reset their accumulated damage, change yours to 999%, launch them again, and they'll travel the same distance. The attacker's accumulated damage no longer affects their launching power.
It's entirely possible that rage is just shut off in training, like stale-move negation, but is very much present in proper multiplayer.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
It's entirely possible that rage is just shut off in training, like stale-move negation, but is very much present in proper multiplayer.
Stale moves can be toggled on and off in training. So it would make no sense for the dev team to specifically disable a rage mechanic in training, when they've already made so many other deliberate additions to make the new training mode as useful as possible for competitive players.

Additionally, the in-game tips and guides don't mention anything about damaged fighters getting increased launch power. And the in-game tips and guides do discuss a lot of advanced mechanics.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman

The thing is I tested this with a friend in both training and vs mode and I couldn't see any difference in the knockback or damage when the character sidesmashed at 0% vs 120%.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Did they not specifically mention that rage now occurs above ~100 when your character portrait begins emitting black smoke in a Smash Direct? Or am I just imagining things?

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord

The thing is I tested this with a friend in both training and vs mode and I couldn't see any difference in the knockback or damage when the character sidesmashed at 0% vs 120%.
You're both wrong.

Ya'll, we got an item literally named, "Rage Blaster." How was these even a concern?

Against Fox:

Ganon's Fully charged F-Smash hits for about 19 training stage units when Ganon is at 129.6% Damage.

Ganon's Fully charged F-Smash hits for about 16 training stage units when Ganon is at 0% Damage.

Case closed: Rage still exists and I just wasted 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
You're both wrong.

Ya'll, we got an item literally named, "Rage Blaster." How was these even a concern?

Against Fox:

Ganon's Fully charged F-Smash hits for about 19 training stage units when Ganon is at 129.6% Damage.

Ganon's Fully charged F-Smash hits for about 16 training stage units when Ganon is at 0% Damage.

Case closed: Rage still exists and I just wasted 5 minutes.
Check your test again, because I wasn't able to reproduce your results. Though I did find out that Ganondorf's side smash has different launching power depending on where the attack connects--that's probably where your variance was coming from.

Doing this test with Ganondorf's uncharged side smash against Mario at 0%, 130%, and 999% I was getting the same distance each time. Once, it launched a little farther for 130%, but maybe I messed something up there, because when I did the 130% test again, it produced the same results as the 0% and 999%. I tried a bit more with fully charged smash attacks and, again, didn't see it.

You also got me to go back and repeat my original tests, which were done with Wii Fit Trainer's forward smash. 0%, 130%, 999%. All produced the same launch distance.

And as a side note, having an item called the "Rage Blaster" doesn't mean the rage mechanic exists in this game. It's likely just a reference to Smash 4--at least, more likely than the possibility that the rage mechanic is back and yet hasn't been acknowledged anywhere in the game's announcements or its tips and guides. Even obscure techniques like smash DI out of a jab infinite now have an official term mentioned across several different in-game explanations, and smash DI is way more obscure than rage.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I'm just going to leave this here.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Check your test again, because I wasn't able to reproduce your results. Though I did find out that Ganondorf's side smash has different launching power depending on where the attack connects--that's probably where your variance was coming from.

Doing this test with Ganondorf's uncharged side smash against Mario at 0%, 130%, and 999% I was getting the same distance each time. Once, it launched a little farther for 130%, but maybe I messed something up there, because when I did the 130% test again, it produced the same results as the 0% and 999%. I tried a bit more with fully charged smash attacks and, again, didn't see it.

You also got me to go back and repeat my original tests, which were done with Wii Fit Trainer's forward smash. 0%, 130%, 999%. All produced the same launch distance.

And as a side note, having an item called the "Rage Blaster" doesn't mean the rage mechanic exists in this game. It's likely just a reference to Smash 4--at least, more likely than the possibility that the rage mechanic is back and yet hasn't been acknowledged anywhere in the game's announcements or its tips and guides. Even obscure techniques like smash DI out of a jab infinite now have an official term mentioned across several different in-game explanations, and smash DI is way more obscure than rage.
You should try turning on move stale next time. You know. Test fully.

And the reason you changed distances is because you don't do it at the same distance every time. The hilt-side has a hitbox with more knockback. Come on, dude.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
LOL calm down. No need to be a jerk. The funny thing is that when you explained how rage works, you left out the fact that moves with weight based knockback aren't effected as Idon just said. That's kind of important.

Idon's pic that he posted has more info than smash wiki has on rage so cut us some slack. Geez. I should be able to find info on rage easily but I never have and that's because barely anyone in the smash community has talked about it ever since the game was shown off at E3.

Try finding a video on youtube showing how rage works. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. The only thing I have to go by now is the word from some guy's tweet with no video footage to back it up.

Uffe

Smash Hero
The setting you're talking about is unrelated to Rage. It's a flat power boost for bad players when it's turned on. It's off by default.
It has been a long time, but I think Kirby Air Ride had a similar mechanic option. Any player falling behind would get a speed boost to reach the person in the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom